Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Stone Temple Pilots "fire" Scott Weiland

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 09:59 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Stone Temple Pilots have parted ways with lead singer Scott Weiland. The group announced the decision this morning in a single sentence press release: "Stone Temple Pilots have announced they have officially terminated Scott Weiland." STP reformed in 2008 after a five year hiatus and toured heavily through last year. It's unclear if they plan on carrying on with a new vocalist.

By apparent coincidence, Rolling Stone spoke with Scott Weiland late yesterday and he denied all rumors that he had been fired from the band. "STP has not broken up," he said. "I haven't quit. I haven't been fired." The rumors began a couple of months ago when Slash said in an interview that STP had fired Weiland.

"Slash doesn't know anything about STP," Weiland countered yesterday. "We're talking right now about when we want to tour next."

Weiland is launching a solo tour next month that will focus almost entirely on material from the first two STP albums, but he insisted the band very much remains a priority. "My personal feeling is that we need some new blood in the band," he said. "We've been playing the same greatest hits set since we got back together. I'd like to make a new record. It will breath new life into the group."

He does acknowledge the group has been going through a rocky period. "There were some hurt egos," he says. "But that's the way it is. No one has ever fired anybody in STP. We're like a family. It's also a partnership. I started the band. We've always kept things going. We've taken time off before. They've done their own projects and I fully support that. No one has been fired and I haven't quit. That's all hearsay."

Rolling Stone reached out to a spokesperson for Weiland about the band's statement and will update this story when we get more information. Check back soon for an extended interview with Weiland about his upcoming solo tour, his desire to return to Velvet Revolver and why he feels reputation as a difficult bandmate is undeserved.

Last edited by dex14; 02-27-13 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-27-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Stone Temple Pilots "fire" Scott Weiland

LOL at the other STP guys thinking there's still an STP without Weiland. The headline should be "Other STP guys consider Army of Anyone/Talk Show reunions."
Old 02-27-13, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

STP rule.
Old 02-27-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Meh, they should stay broken up. The last album they did wasn't that great and they haven't made a good album in quite a while if you ask me.
Old 02-27-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Scott's two solo albums were way better than the last STP album. I'll take more of those. (and no I am not including that weird x-mas album)
Old 02-27-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

The last STP album was awful. Stay broken up.
Old 02-27-13, 01:39 PM

Per Scott Weiland:

I learned of my supposed “termination” from Stone Temple Pilots this morning by reading about it in the press. Not sure how I can be “terminated” from a band that I founded, fronted and co-wrote many of its biggest hits, but that’s something for the lawyers to figure out. In the meantime, I’m looking forward to seeing all of my fans on my solo tour which starts this Friday.
Old 02-27-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Shocking.
Old 02-27-13, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Per Scott Weiland:

I learned of my supposed “termination” from Stone Temple Pilots this morning by reading about it in the press. Not sure how I can be “terminated” from a band that I founded, fronted and co-wrote many of its biggest hits, but that’s something for the lawyers to figure out. In the meantime, I’m looking forward to seeing <del>all of my fans</del> both of my fans on my solo tour which starts this Friday.
Fixed
Old 02-27-13, 05:55 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Rick Rubin up time to make a new Audioslave album.
Old 02-27-13, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Call Rick Rubin up time to make a new Audioslave album.
Yeah I think people are tiring of bands that are made up of remanants of other bands who can't get along or are too stoned to get along.
Old 02-28-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They need to find a marginally talented Pilipino sound-alike. Only this will save STP.
Old 02-28-13, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Shangri La was their last good album. Didn't care for the last one.
Old 02-28-13, 08:36 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cungar
Yeah I think people are tiring of bands that are made up of remanants of other bands who can't get along or are too stoned to get along.
You say that but when the Billboard album sales come out they usually do pretty well. Not that I really liked Audioslave but the publicity they got was ridiculous.
Old 03-01-13, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
LOL at the other STP guys thinking there's still an STP without Weiland. The headline should be "Other STP guys consider Army of Anyone/Talk Show reunions."
I like STP, but I can only name Scott Weiland from the band.
Old 03-01-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I heard some new song by them called "Take a Load Off" or something like that. Yeesh, it was awful...
Old 03-01-13, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Love these two tracks - simple, with some great fucking riffs. the DeLeo Bros are great:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mwVFj8WkhDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TY9s989TXGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-03-13, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that convert available for purchase someplace? I remember recording it on tape when it showed up on Direct TV years ago, but I don't wanna hook up the VCR just to occasionally watch that.
Old 03-03-13, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Is that convert available for purchase someplace? I remember recording it on tape when it showed up on Direct TV years ago, but I don't wanna hook up the VCR just to occasionally watch that.
Nope, that show has never been available for legit purchase. I also had the VHS recording off of the Direct TV feed when it first came out.
Old 05-18-13, 11:29 PM

(LOS ANGELES) – Fans attending KROQ’s annual Weenie Roast over the weekend got a real surprise when Stone Temple Pilots took the stage unannounced, for a blistering set with Chester Bennington of Linkin Park as lead vocalist.

The crowd went wild as the band performed STP classics like ‘Sex Type Thing’ and ‘Vasoline’ and also debuted a brand new song, “Out of Time”– the recording of which KROQ premiered immediately following the band’s explosive 40 minute set.

When Stone Temple Pilots band members, Dean DeLeo, Robert DeLeo and Eric Kretz began thinking of singers to accompany the new music they were working on, Bennington was at the top of the list. “Chester has a one-of-a-kind voice that we’ve admired for a long time,” said Dean DeLeo. “We know Linkin Park will always be his priority, but we thought it would be cool to try something together. We managed to find the time to record a song and we’re all really happy with the result.”

“I’ve loved STP since I was 13 years old and they’ve had a huge influence on me,” explained Bennington. “When the opportunity came up to do something creative with them, I jumped at the chance. The guys in Linkin Park have been incredibly supportive of me undertaking this project while I’ve continued to work on new music with LP.”
Old 05-19-13, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had a friend text me that STP had taken the stage, so I figured they hadn't broken up. That's actually a good choice in Chester being their lead vocalist. I saw STP headline tour festival (the name escapes me) where Deadsy, Static-X, Staind, and Linkin Park all played together like 10 years ago and Chester did a couple of songs with the band.
Old 05-19-13, 11:16 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZHiEYrJJlZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RBp_Qk65L_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-19-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a pretty good approximation of what it would sound like if STP had a Skynyrd-style plane crash and Weiland's less-talented little brother took over for him.

I'm neither a Weiland fanboy or a Linkin Park hater but this is "could be worse" at best, and it's still unacceptable while Weiland still lives and breathes. These three guys need to realize they're lucky to have hitched their wagons to Weiland. He's obviously a trainwreck but putting up with a trainwreck so you can make hundreds of thousands of dollars as a touring musician is better than actually working for a living.

Tons of professional musicians put up with difficult stars every day, what makes these three nobodies think they're above that?

Here's what they should do: find a major metropolitan city with two comparable venues. Book them both the same night. Sell them both as STP shows. Put the names of who is actually in each band on all the bills, posters etc. Let people pick between Stone Temple Pilots with Scott Weiland and 3 new guys and the other version with these three losers and the guy from Linkin Park. The better-selling show decides the fate of the band. The Linkin Park version wins and it shows Weiland is expendable. Weiland wins (and he would) and shows the other members who the real draw is.

Well, that or anyone with half a brain can realize that any one of these three guy could leave the band and it would be a 1-line blurb at best and act accordingly.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 05-19-13 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-19-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Song is decent but would prefer they just mend fences and record another album with Weiland.

It's too bad they can't make their money with albums, since Scott can't handle touring it seems.

Last edited by auto; 05-19-13 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-19-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
It's a pretty good approximation of what it would sound like if STP had a Skynyrd-style plane crash and Weiland's less-talented little brother took over for him.

I'm neither a Weiland fanboy or a Linkin Park hater but this is "could be worse" at best, and it's still unacceptable while Weiland still lives and breathes. These three guys need to realize they're lucky to have hitched their wagons to Weiland. He's obviously a trainwreck but putting up with a trainwreck so you can make hundreds of thousands of dollars as a touring musician is better than actually working for a living.

Tons of professional musicians put up with difficult stars every day, what makes these three nobodies think they're above that?

Here's what they should do: find a major metropolitan city with two comparable venues. Book them both the same night. Sell them both as STP shows. Put the names of who is actually in each band on all the bills, posters etc. Let people pick between Stone Temple Pilots with Scott Weiland and 3 new guys and the other version with these three losers and the guy from Linkin Park. The better-selling show decides the fate of the band. The Linkin Park version wins and it shows Weiland is expendable. Weiland wins (and he would) and shows the other members who the real draw is.

Well, that or anyone with half a brain can realize that any one of these three guy could leave the band and it would be a 1-line blurb at best and act accordingly.
trick question. weiland either wouldn't show up, or be zonked out of his mind and the three guys on stage would either have to sing themselves, or pick someone from the crowd.

(sober scott and we have a game, but the odds are more likely Morrison comes out of hiding from Africa)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.