Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

THE DOORS: "50th Anniversary" releases

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-17, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Didn't know this had came out.

London Fog 1966 [Vinyl + CD]

RECENTLY DISCOVERED LIVE RECORDINGS, THE EARLIEST KNOWN TO EXIST, TO BE REVEALED FOR THE FIRST TIME IN LONDON FOG 1966

Collector’s Edition Boxed Set Features Previously Unheard Concert Recordings On CD And Vinyl Along With 8 x 10 Prints Of Unseen Photos And Replica Memorabilia

Before The Doors took the music scene by storm in 1967, they were the house band at the London Fog, a Sunset Strip dive bar located just footsteps away from the world famous Whisky a Go Go, the future home of many of the band’s most legendary performances. The Doors will open a virtual time capsule in December with LONDON FOG 1966, a Collector’s Edition boxed set that features unearthed audio recorded at the club in May 1966. Previously unreleased and not even known to exist until recently, this marks the earliest recordings of the band and finds the quartet mixing blues covers with early versions of Doors originals. LONDON FOG 1966 is the first of many special activities and releases coming to celebrate The Doors’ 50th Anniversary in 2017.

LONDON FOG 1966 will be available as an individually numbered limited edition of 18,000 copies. Presented in a lift-top package designed to look like a vintage storage box, the set features seven songs on both CD and a 10-inch record that’s made to resemble a test pressing. Noted Doors engineer Bruce Botnick recently mastered the audio for this collection.

Along with the unreleased music, the set is packed with memorabilia and historic liner notes to provide a true time capsule of that fabled night at the London Fog, including a postcard, the set list handwritten by John Densmore, a program for the Royce Hall UCLA student film screening, plus a London Fog coaster. There are also liner notes included from Sunset Strip legend Ronnie Haran-Mellen, who was the talent booker at the Whisky a Go Go. Haran-Mellen saw The Doors live for the first time at the London Fog and then booked them as the permanent house band at the Whisky, leading to the band’s signing to Elektra and meteoric rise to superstardom.

Also contributing liner notes is Nettie Peña, one of the lucky few to be in attendance at the London Fog for this fabled show. Peña was a pivotal force in this release coming together as she captured the audio on a 1/4” reel to reel recorder. Peña also photographed the band that evening and five black and white 8x10 reprints of these unpublished photos are included in the Collector’s Edition, featuring a fresh-faced Morrison on a cramped stage with John Densmore, Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek.

The show featured on LONDON FOG 1966 took place the same year that The Doors recorded their eponymous debut. Released in January 1967, the album would become one of the most influential in rock history. Like many of the band’s early concerts, the show captured on this deluxe set reflects the group’s deep love for the blues with covers of standards like Muddy Waters’ “Rock Me” and “I’m Your Hoochie Coochie Man.” The set also includes raw performances of “Baby, Please Don’t Go” (Big Joe Williams), “Don’t Fight It” (Wilson Pickett), and “Lucille” (Little Richard).

During their residency at the London Fog, The Doors frequently worked out new songs on stage that would eventually appear on various studio albums. At this show, the band played two originals. The first, “Strange Days,” would become the title track for the band’s second studio album, which also came out in 1967. This is one of the only known live recordings of this track. The other Doors original, “You Make Me Real,” wasn’t officially released on a studio album until Morrison Hotel in 1970.

“To hear ‘Strange Days,’ that came out on their second album, in almost final shape so early on was truly amazing,” says Jac Holzman, the President of Elektra Records who signed The Doors to their first recording contract.

Track Listing:

Rock Me
Baby, Please Don’t Go
You Make Me Real
Don’t Fight It
I’m Your Hoochie Coochie Man
Strange Days
Lucille

https://store.thedoors.com/collectio...ondon-fog-1966
Old 07-03-17, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: THE DOORS: "50th Anniversary" releases

also this

The Doors - 50th Anniversary Re-Issue [3 CD + 1 LP]

<iframe width="606" height="341" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kjYvhPdhlgw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

50 years ago in 1967, The Doors broke through to the other side for the first time with its eponymous debut on Elektra Records. The Doors would go on to sell millions of copies and made stars of John Densmore, Robby Krieger, Ray Manzarek, and Jim Morrison. Today, the album is widely considered to be one of the all-time-classic rock and roll debuts.

To celebrate this landmark recording’s 50th anniversary, the band will release THE DOORS: 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION.

Packaged in a 12 x 12 hardcover book, THE DOORS: 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION includes a remastered version of the album’s original stereo mix, available on CD for the first time in a decade and remastered for the first time in nearly 30 years. The album’s original mono mix was also remastered for this set and is making its CD debut here. An LP-version of the mono mix is also included. The third disc features live performance from The Matrix in San Francisco recorded just weeks after The Doors was released. Music journalist David Fricke provides detailed liner notes for the set, which includes a selection of rare and previously unseen photographs.

THE DOORS: 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION offers a rare opportunity to hear the band on the verge of superstardom with live performances recorded during a March 7, 1967 show at the Matrix in San Francisco. The Matrix recordings heard on this deluxe edition were sourced from the recently discovered, original tapes, previously thought to be lost. The Matrix recordings originally released in 2008 were from a third-generation source, so the sound quality of the versions debuting here is second to none.

Packed with electrifying performance, the disc contains live versions of eight tracks on The Doors, including “Twentieth Century Fox,” “The Crystal Ship” and “Back Door Man.”

THE DOORS (50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION)

TRACK LISTING

Disc One (Original Stereo Mix)

Disc Two (Original Mono Mix)

Break On Through (To The Other Side)
Soul Kitchen
The Crystal Ship
Twentieth Century Fox
Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)
Light My Fire
Back Door Man
I Looked At You
End Of The Night
Take It As It Comes
The End

Disc Three: Live At The Matrix, March 7, 1967

Soul Kitchen
The Crystal Ship
Twentieth Century Fox
Light My Fire
Back Door Man
The End

LP (Original Mono Mix)

Side One

Soul Kitchen
The Crystal Ship
Twentieth Century Fox
Light My Fire
Side Two

Back Door Man
I Looked At You
End Of The Night
Take It As It Comes
The End

https://store.thedoors.com/products/...ssue-3-cd-1-lp
Old 07-03-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Light My Fire [50th Anniversary Japanese 7" Vinyl] - PRE-ORDER

PLEASE NOTE: This title is currently set to ship on July 28th, 2017. Any other items in your order will also not ship until the order can be shipped in its entirety. If you need any items sooner, please place two separate orders.

In celebration of the 50th Anniversary of “Light My Fire," The Doors are releasing this limited-edition Japanese 7” single. This is a reproduction of The Doors, very rare, first Japanese Elektra single that came out in 1967 – containing the original A & B sides, the single-edit version of "Light My Fire” b/w "The Crystal Ship" LP version. Featuring painstakingly recreated cover art and labels, this piece of Doors history is limited to 7,500 copies worldwide.

https://store.thedoors.com/products/...panese-7-vinyl

The Doors - The Singles [7" Single Boxset]

PLEASE NOTE: This title is currently set to ship on September 15th, 2017. Any other items in your order will also not ship until the order can be shipped in its entirety. If you need any items sooner, please place two separate orders.

THE SINGLES – Limited Edition 7” Vinyl Box

Features 20 replica U.S. singles, with original B-sides, on 7-inch vinyl 45s with meticulously reproduced cover art and labels, presented in an ornate, lift-top box. This set collects the rare single versions from all of the band’s landmark studio albums, plus other rarities from the era, including:

“Light My Fire” (Original Mono Single Edit),
“Unknown Soldier”/”We Could Be So Good Together” (Original Unique Mono Mix/Edit),
“Love Me Two Times” (Single Edit),
“Touch Me” (Original Unique Stereo Single Mix).

All selections have been mastered from the original analog single masters by the band’s longtime engineer Bruce Botnick. As a bonus, the box also contains a poster featuring singles covers from around the globe! Each Singles Box is individually numbered and is limited to 10,000 copies worldwide!

COMPLETE LISTING:

1a. “Break On Through (To The Other Side)”
1b. “End Of The Night”

2a. “Light My Fire”
2b. “The Crystal Ship”

3a. “People Are Strange”
3b. “Unhappy Girl”

4a. “Love Me Two Times”
4b. “Moonlight Drive”

5a. “The Unknown Soldier”
5b. “We Could Be So Good Together”

6a. “Hello, I Love You”
6b. “Love Street”

7a. “Touch Me”
7b. “Wild Child”

8a. “Wishful Sinful”
8b. “Who Scared You”

9a. “Tell All The People”
9b. “Easy Ride”

10a. “Runnin’ Blue”
10b. “Do It”

11a. “You Make Me Real”
11b. “Roadhouse Blues”

12a. “Love Her Madly”
12b. “(You Need Meat) Don’t Go No Further”

13a. “Riders On The Storm”
13b. “The Changeling”

14a. “Tightrope Ride”
14b. “Variety Is The Spice Of Life”

15a. "Ship W/ Sails”
15b. “In The Eye Of The Sun”

16a. “Get Up And Dance”
16b. “Treetrunk”

17a. “The Mosquito”
17b. “It Slipped My Mind”

18a. “The Piano Bird”
18b. “Good Rockin’”

19a. “Roadhouse Blues” (Live)
19b. “Albinoni: Adagio”

20a. “Gloria” (Live)
20b. “Moonlight Drive” (Live)

https://store.thedoors.com/products/...-single-boxset
Old 07-03-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Doors - The Singles (Deluxe) [2 CD + Blu-ray Audio]

PLEASE NOTE: This title is currently set to ship on September 15, 2017. Any other items in your order will also not ship until the order can be shipped in its entirety. If you need any items sooner, please place two separate orders.

THE SINGLES – 2CD + Blu-ray

This historic release collects all 20 U.S. singles released by The Doors, and their corresponding B-sides, gathered together for the first time. The set includes the rare, original single versions of such classics as, “Love Me Two Times,” “Love Her Madly," “Riders On The Storm” and many more. As a bonus, the CD features four original mono radio versions of some of the band’s biggest hits which have never been made available anywhere after being sent to radio stations around their original release. All 44 tracks have been mastered from the original analog single masters by the band's longtime engineer Bruce Botnick.

The Blu-ray disc that accompanies the expanded version of THE SINGLES features a high-resolution Quadraphonic mix of The Best Of The Doors. This 11-song compilation, available on Blu-ray for the first time, was remixed specifically for Quad in 1973 and offers a unique sonic experience on songs like “Soul Kitchen,” “Moonlight Drive” and “Love Me Two Times.”

TRACK LISTING

Disc One
End Of The Night
Light My Fire
The Crystal Ship
People Are Strange
Unhappy Girl
Love Me Two Times
Moonlight Drive
The Unknown Soldier
We Could Be So Good Together
Hello, I Love You
Love Street
Touch Me
Wild Child
Wishful Sinful
Who Scared You
Tell All The People
Easy Ride
Runnin’ Blue
Do It
You Make Me Real
Roadhouse Blues
Love Her Madly
(You Need Meat) Don’t Go No Further
Riders On The Storm
The Changeling

Disc Two
Tightrope Ride
Variety Is The Spice Of Life
Ships W/ Sails
In The Eye Of The Sun
Get Up And Dance
Treetrunk
The Mosquito
It Slipped My Mind
The Piano Bird
Good Rockin’
Roadhouse Blues (Live)
Albinoni: Adagio
Gloria” (Live)
Moonlight Drive (Live)
Hello, I Love You (Mono Radio Version)
Touch Me (Mono Radio Version)
Wishful Sinful (Mono Radio Version)
Tell All The People (Mono Radio Version)
The Best Of The Doors (1973)

Blu-ray Track Listing

Who Do You Love
Soul Kitchen
Hello, I Love You
People Are Strange
Riders On The Storm
Touch Me
Love Her Madly
Love Me Two Times
Take It As It Comes
Moonlight Drive
Light My Fire

https://store.thedoors.com/products/...-blu-ray-audio
https://store.thedoors.com/products/...e-singles-2-cd
Old 07-03-17, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

that's a disappointing Blu-ray, disc 1 & 2 tracklisting should of been it.
Old 07-04-17, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the thread man! I hope you keep it up as we celebrate this awesome band. I have the London Fog and 50th self titled. I had no idea about the singles.

It's also worth mentioning that the live at the matrix came out on vinyl for rsd17. However it'd only 7 songs.

They're a bit pricey and I may take the plunge. But it appears some singles are missing? Is it a complete collection? I love the doors and vinyl but not an afficiando enough to know what's ever been released. But I have the box that came a few years back of all the LA woman singles. I don't see them included.
Old 07-05-17, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't understand the Doors' camp thinking with these 50th anniversary releases. They spend money acquiring the honest to goodness master tapes of the Matrix shows that were poorly released in the past. Now that they have them, they won't release a set but will instead focus their energy on a Singles Collection that no one asked for.
Old 07-05-17, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm hoping for BLU-RAY AUDIO in 7.1 DTS MA of their albums. Love the DVD-A box set I have.
Old 11-27-17, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Strange Days - 50th Anniversay Deluxe [2 CD]

The Doors had one of the most extraordinary debut years in music history in 1967, releasing a string of hit singles and two platinum albums, beginning in January with the band’s self-titled debut, followed by Strange Days in September. The latter peaked at #3 on the Billboard album chart and featured classics like “Love Me Two Times,” “When The Music’s Over,” and the title track “Strange Days.”

2-CD STRANGE DAYS 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION was carefully and lovingly overseen by the album’s original engineer/mixer Bruce Botnick. It includes the original stereo mix of the album on CD for the first time in a decade, with sound that’s been remastered for the first time in 30 years. The second disc features the album’s original mono mix, which has been remastered for this set and is making its CD debut. Accompanying the set are liner notes by music journalist David Fricke, as well as a selection of rare and previously unseen photographs. Contains personal tech notes from Bruce Botnick.

Strange Days mixed new songs written on the road with some written before the band’s 1967 debut. In fact, the band performed “Strange Days” during its 1966 residency at the London Fog in L.A., while “My Eyes Have Seen You” dates back to 1965. Another early track is “Moonlight Drive,” which was one of the very first songs that the band practiced together, and where the band heard Krieger’s haunting bottleneck guitar playing for the first time. It’s also the song Morrison sang to Manzarek at Venice Beach in 1965 when the two former UCLA film students reconnected and decided to start the Doors.

Disc One: Original Stereo Mix

Disc Two: Original Mono Mix

“Strange Days”
“You’re Lost Little Girl”
“Love Me Two Times”
“Unhappy Girl”
“Horse Latitudes”
“Moonlight Drive”
“People Are Strange”
“My Eyes Have Seen You”
“I Can’t See Your Face In My Mind”
“When The Music’s Over”

https://store.thedoors.com/products/...ay-deluxe-2-cd

Strange Days – 50th Anniversary (Mono) [180 gram Vinyl]

LP: Original Mono Mix

Side One
  1. “Strange Days”
  2. “You’re Lost Little Girl”
  3. “Love Me Two Times”
  4. “Unhappy Girl”
  5. “Horse Latitudes”
  6. “Moonlight Drive”

Side Two
  7. “People Are Strange”
  8. “My Eyes Have Seen You”
  9. “I Can’t See Your Face In My Mind”
  10. “When The Music’s Over”

https://store.thedoors.com/products/...say-mono-vinyl
Old 11-28-17, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still waiting for a stand alone release of the remastered Matrix Tapes.
Old 11-28-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the MONO Strange Days..... when I got it a few years back for RSD lol. Im glad they didnt do something I NEEDED to buy! haha
Old 12-14-17, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The historic last concert ever filmed of The Doors is now available for the first time! The concert was meticulously restored via the latest 21st century technology, color corrected and visually upgrading the original footage. The entire show, which is now presented in 5.1 Dolby Digital sound, was mixed from the original multi-track audio by longtime Doors engineer / mixer / co-producer Bruce Botnick.

Filmed on August 1970, 2AM, in front of 600,000 people, with Jim Morrison’s ongoing Miami obscenity trial still weighing heavily on the band, they traverse such staples as “Roadhouse Blues”, “Break On Through (To The Other Side)”, and “Light My Fire”. “Our set was subdued but very intense”, Manzarek later stated. “We played with a controlled fury and Jim was in fine vocal form. He sang for all he was worth, but moved nary a muscle. Dionysus had been shackled.”

The DVD and Blu-ray also contain the bonus feaurette “This Is The End" - with interviews conducted by the film’s original director, Academy Award® Winner Murray Lerner with Krieger, Densmore, original Doors manager Bill Siddons and archival interview footage of Manzarek from 2002

<iframe width="606" height="341" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9Zwml7Zaqdk" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://store.thedoors.com/products/...val-1970-video
Old 07-01-18, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WAITING FOR THE SUN: 50th ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION. This 2-CD/1-LP collection features a new version of the album’s original stereo mix on both CD and 180-gram vinyl LP, which has been newly remastered from the original master tapes by Bruce Botnick, the Doors’ longtime engineer/mixer. The set also includes a second disc of 14 completely unreleased tracks: nine recently discovered “rough mixes” from the album recording sessions and five live songs from a 1968 Copenhagen show. WAITING FOR THE SUN: 50th ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION will be available on September 14 for $49.98. The audio will also be available on digital download and streaming services.

Botnick’s newly remastered stereo mix of Waiting For The Sun adds new sonic dimensions to songs like “The Unknown Soldier” and “Spanish Caravan,” but that wasn’t his only contribution to the project. While going through his archive, he uncovered a cache of rough mixes from the sessions that hadn’t been played in 50 years. Botnick says: “I prefer some of these rough mixes to the finals, as they represent all of the elements and additional background vocals, different sensibilities on balances, and some intangible roughness, all of which are quite attractive and refreshing.”

The deluxe edition of the album also features unreleased live recordings of five songs from the Doors’ September 17, 1968 concert in Copenhagen. The performance includes three songs from the band’s latest album – “Hello, I Love You,” “Five To One,” and “The Unknown Soldier” – plus the classics “Back Door Man” and “The WASP (Texas Radio And The Big Beat).”

When the Doors recorded Waiting For The Sun in 1968, they were among the first bands to use Dolby A301 noise reduction processors, which was cutting-edge recording tech at the time. Similarly, the most advanced sound recording innovations were used to make the anniversary edition of Waiting For The Sun. The new release has been encoded with the MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) process. An MQA disc plays back on all CD players as standard CD quality. But if a conventional CD player is connected to an MQA-enabled device, it can play the same disc back at its original sample rate.

https://www.thedoors.com/news/waitin...g-september-14
Old 07-18-19, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The CD by itself being released on August 23rd

This CD, a breakout from the London Fog box set released in 2016, contains The Doors first known live recordings, captured on the Sunset Strip in 1966 when they were the house band at the nightclub London Fog. The CD features embryonic versions of "Strange Days" and "You Make Me Real," in addition to covers of classic songs by Muddy Waters, Little Richard and Wilson Pickett, all mastered by The Doors longtime engineer/mixer Bruce Botnick. The set includes liner notes penned by Nettie Peña, who not only attended the performance, but captured the audio on a 1/4" reel to reel recorder borrowed from her father.

Track List:
1. Tuning
2. Rock Me
3. Baby, Please Don't Go
4. You Make Me Real
5. Tuning
6. Don't Fight It
7. I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man
8. Strange Days
9. Lucille
Old 07-18-19, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

THE SOFT PARADE - 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION TO INCLUDE UNRELEASED "STRIPPED DOWN" VERSIONS WITH HORNS AND STRINGS REMOVED

Numbered/Limited Edition

*Also available with hand-numbered 36 x 18 lithograph of interior gatefold artwork in very limited quantities. You pay only shipping and handling. Only while supplies last. Select "DELUXE EDITION + POSTER" during purchase.

The Doors’ fourth studio album, The Soft Parade, became the band’s fourth straight Top Ten album when it was released 50 years ago. Despite featuring one of the group’s biggest hits – “Touch Me” – it remains the most-polarizing record of The Doors’ career thanks to the brass and string arrangements that embellish several tracks.

To commemorate the album’s 50th year anniversary, The Soft Parade will be reimagined on a newly expanded 3CD/1L set. THE SOFT PARADE: 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION includes the original studio album – and the B-side “Who Scared You” – newly remastered by Bruce Botnick, The Doors’ longtime engineer and mixer. The collection is a limited edition of 15,000 individually numbered copies and also includes the original album on 180-gram vinyl along with liner notes by noted rock journalist David Fricke.

The core of the new collection is comprised of more than a dozen unreleased songs. Among the highlights are stripped down “Doors Only” versions of five tracks where the horns and strings have been removed (“Tell All The People,” “Touch Me,” “Wishful Sinful,” “Runnin’ Blue,” and “Who Scared You.”) The set also features three of those stripped-back versions with new guitar parts added by Robby Krieger (“Touch Me,” “Wishful Sinful,” and “Runnin’ Blue).

The collection also uncovers three songs from studio rehearsals – with Ray Manzarek (a.k.a. Screamin’ Ray Daniels) on vocals – that include an early version of “Roadhouse Blues,” a song that would be released the following year on Morrison Hotel. These three songs include newly recorded bass parts by Robert DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots, who joined Krieger and John Densmore at a tribute concert for Manzarek in 2016, three years after the organist died of cancer.

A trio of studio outtakes collected on the set’s final disc feature the much-bootlegged, hour-long jam, “Rock Is Dead,” which appears here in its entire, surviving form for the first time ever. The track finds The Doors riffing through the entire history of rock ’n’ roll, from early delta blues through surf music, ending with the death of rock.

Track Listing

Disc One
  1. “Tell All The People”
  2. “Touch Me”
  3. “Shaman’s Blues”
  4. “Do It”
  5. “Easy Ride”
  6. “Wild Child”
  7. “Runnin’ Blue”
  8. “Wishful Sinful”
  9. “The Soft Parade”
  10. “Who Scared You” – B-side (BONUS TRACK)

Disc Two
  1. “Tell All The People” (Doors only mix)*
  2. “Touch Me” (Doors only mix w/new Robby Krieger guitar overdub)*
  3. “Runnin’ Blue” (Doors only mix w/new Robby Krieger guitar overdub)*
  4. “Wishful Sinful” (Doors only mix w/new Robby Krieger guitar overdub)*
  5. “Who Scared You” (Doors only mix)*
  6. “Roadhouse Blues” – Screamin’ Ray Daniels (a.k.a. Ray Manzarek) on vocal*
  7. “(You Need Meat) Don’t Go No Further” – Screamin’ Ray Daniels (a.k.a. Ray Manzarek) on vocal*
  8. “I’m Your Doctor” – Screamin’ Ray Daniels (a.k.a. Ray Manzarek) on vocal*
  9. “Touch Me” (Doors only mix)*
  10. “Runnin’ Blue” (Doors only mix) *
  11. “Wishful Sinful” (Doors only mix)*

Disc Three
  1. “I Am Troubled”
  2. “Seminary School” (aka “Petition The Lord With Prayer”) *
  3. “Rock Is Dead” – Complete Version *
  4. “Chaos” *
* previously unreleased
Old 07-23-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Didn't know this had came out.

London Fog 1966 [Vinyl + CD]

RECENTLY DISCOVERED LIVE RECORDINGS, THE EARLIEST KNOWN TO EXIST, TO BE REVEALED FOR THE FIRST TIME IN LONDON FOG 1966

Collector’s Edition Boxed Set Features Previously Unheard Concert Recordings On CD And Vinyl Along With 8 x 10 Prints Of Unseen Photos And Replica Memorabilia

Before The Doors took the music scene by storm in 1967, they were the house band at the London Fog, a Sunset Strip dive bar located just footsteps away from the world famous Whisky a Go Go, the future home of many of the band’s most legendary performances. The Doors will open a virtual time capsule in December with LONDON FOG 1966, a Collector’s Edition boxed set that features unearthed audio recorded at the club in May 1966. Previously unreleased and not even known to exist until recently, this marks the earliest recordings of the band and finds the quartet mixing blues covers with early versions of Doors originals. LONDON FOG 1966 is the first of many special activities and releases coming to celebrate The Doors’ 50th Anniversary in 2017.

LONDON FOG 1966 will be available as an individually numbered limited edition of 18,000 copies. Presented in a lift-top package designed to look like a vintage storage box, the set features seven songs on both CD and a 10-inch record that’s made to resemble a test pressing. Noted Doors engineer Bruce Botnick recently mastered the audio for this collection.

Along with the unreleased music, the set is packed with memorabilia and historic liner notes to provide a true time capsule of that fabled night at the London Fog, including a postcard, the set list handwritten by John Densmore, a program for the Royce Hall UCLA student film screening, plus a London Fog coaster. There are also liner notes included from Sunset Strip legend Ronnie Haran-Mellen, who was the talent booker at the Whisky a Go Go. Haran-Mellen saw The Doors live for the first time at the London Fog and then booked them as the permanent house band at the Whisky, leading to the band’s signing to Elektra and meteoric rise to superstardom.

Also contributing liner notes is Nettie Peña, one of the lucky few to be in attendance at the London Fog for this fabled show. Peña was a pivotal force in this release coming together as she captured the audio on a 1/4” reel to reel recorder. Peña also photographed the band that evening and five black and white 8x10 reprints of these unpublished photos are included in the Collector’s Edition, featuring a fresh-faced Morrison on a cramped stage with John Densmore, Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek.

The show featured on LONDON FOG 1966 took place the same year that The Doors recorded their eponymous debut. Released in January 1967, the album would become one of the most influential in rock history. Like many of the band’s early concerts, the show captured on this deluxe set reflects the group’s deep love for the blues with covers of standards like Muddy Waters’ “Rock Me” and “I’m Your Hoochie Coochie Man.” The set also includes raw performances of “Baby, Please Don’t Go” (Big Joe Williams), “Don’t Fight It” (Wilson Pickett), and “Lucille” (Little Richard).

During their residency at the London Fog, The Doors frequently worked out new songs on stage that would eventually appear on various studio albums. At this show, the band played two originals. The first, “Strange Days,” would become the title track for the band’s second studio album, which also came out in 1967. This is one of the only known live recordings of this track. The other Doors original, “You Make Me Real,” wasn’t officially released on a studio album until Morrison Hotel in 1970.

“To hear ‘Strange Days,’ that came out on their second album, in almost final shape so early on was truly amazing,” says Jac Holzman, the President of Elektra Records who signed The Doors to their first recording contract.

Track Listing:

Rock Me
Baby, Please Don’t Go
You Make Me Real
Don’t Fight It
I’m Your Hoochie Coochie Man
Strange Days
Lucille

https://store.thedoors.com/collectio...ondon-fog-1966
The London Fog set is finally getting a separate CD release very soon.

I'll also remind fans about Feast of Friends, the vintage film/documentary funded by the Doors that did see Blu-ray a few years ago.

https://www.doblu.com/2014/11/26/doo...lu-ray-review/
Old 07-29-19, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I need Rhino to release Live At The Matrix with the remastered soundboard on CD ASAP.
Old 07-30-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

I'm a bit irritated that London fog is coming out as a stand alone CD. Would not have ponied up the $$ for the LP/CD if I thought I could get the CD alone.
Old 07-31-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I'm a bit irritated that London fog is coming out as a stand alone CD. Would not have ponied up the $$ for the LP/CD if I thought I could get the CD alone.
I almost broke down last Christmas. My patience finally paid off.

Old 08-20-20, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Please note: This product is currently scheduled to be released on October 9th, 2020.

MORRISON HOTEL - 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION, 2-CD + 1-LP.

2-CD/1-LP Set Expands The Doors’ Fifth Studio Album
With Over An Hour Of Unreleased Session Outtakes
That Show How The Songs Evolved In The Studio

The Doors returned to their roots and were reborn a rock ’n’ roll band on Morrison Hotel, the group’s fifth studio album and fifth consecutive gold-certified record. Completed in only a few weeks and released in February 1970, the hard-charging album took its name from the Skid Row hotel in downtown Los Angeles that’s featured in the iconic cover photo taken by Henry Diltz.

MORRISON HOTEL: 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION includes the original album newly remastered by The Doors’ longtime engineer and mixer Bruce Botnick, plus a bonus disc of unreleased studio outtakes, and the original album on 180-gram virgin vinyl.

For this new collection, the original album has been expanded with more than an hour of unreleased recordings taken from the sessions for Morrison Hotel. These 19 outtakes transport listeners into the studio with Jim Morrison, John Densmore, Robby Krieger, and Ray Manzarek for an unprecedented perspective on the making of the album.

Botnick says: “There are many takes, different arrangements, false starts, and insightful studio conversations between the band – who were in the studio – and producer Paul Rothchild – who was in the control room. It’s like being a fly on the wall.”

Several of these unheard recordings spotlight how “Queen Of The Highway” and “Roadhouse Blues” evolved across multiple sessions. It’s especially interesting to hear how the band played with different bass players on “Roadhouse Blues.” Early versions include Harvey Brooks, who played on the band’s previous album, The Soft Parade. Later takes feature guitar legend Lonnie Mack on bass along with The Lovin’ Spoonful’s John Sebastian on harmonica who, due to contractual restrictions at the time, had to be credited as “G. Puglese.”

Among the treasure trove of unreleased outtakes are also rough versions of Morrison Hotel tracks “Peace Frog” and “Blue Sunday,” as well as The Doors rarity “I Will Never Be Untrue.” The collection also captures some incredible session outtakes of the band jamming on cover versions of the Motown classic “Money (That’s What I Want)” and B.B. King’s “Rock Me.”

Veteran rock journalist David Fricke tells the tale behind this classic album in the set’s detailed liner notes. He writes: “As spring turned to summer in the last year of the 1960s, The Doors were a band in suspended animation. Singer Jim Morrison, keyboardist Ray Manzarek, guitarist Robby Krieger, and drummer John Densmore were off the road and in serious legal jeopardy after Morrison’s profane meltdown during a show at Miami’s Dinner Key Auditorium…The Doors were also exhausted and uncertain of their recording future after the protracted studio drama and uneven experiment of their fourth album, The Soft Parade…It was a season of chaos and anxiety. But The Doors were on the road to Morrison Hotel.”

CD Track Listing

Disc One: The Original Album

Side One: Hard Rock Cafe
  1. “Roadhouse Blues”
  2. “Waiting For The Sun”
  3. “You Make Me Real”
  4. “Peace Frog”
  5. “Blue Sunday”
  6. “Ship Of Fools”
Side Two: Morrison Hotel
  1. “Land Ho!”
  2. “The Spy”
  3. “Queen Of The Highway”
  4. “Indian Summer”
  5. “Maggie M’Gill” 
Disc Two: Mysterious Union

Black Dressed In Leather (Queen Of The Highway Sessions)

First Session (11/15/68)
  1. “Queen Of The Highway” (Take 1, She Was A Princess) *
  2. “Queen Of The Highway” (Various Takes) *
  3. “Queen Of The Highway” (Take 44, He Was A Monster) *
Second Session (1/16/69)
  1. “Queen Of The Highway” (Take 12, No One Could Save Her) *
  2. “Queen Of The Highway” (Take 14, Save The Blind Tiger) *
Third Session (Date Unknown)
  1. “Queen Of The Highway” (Take 1, American Boy – American Girl) *
  2. “Queen Of The Highway” (Takes 5, 6 & 9, Dancing Through The Midnight Whirlpool) *
  3. “Queen Of The Highway” (Take 14, Start It All Over) *
  4. “I Will Never Be Untrue” *
  5. “Queen Of The Highway” (Take Unknown) *
Money Beats Soul (Roadhouse Blues Sessions)

First Session
  1. “Roadhouse Blues” (Take 14, Keep Your Eyes On The Road) *
  2. “Money (That’s What I Want)” *
  3. “Rock Me Baby” *
Second Session
  1. “Roadhouse Blues” (Takes 6 & 7, Your Hands Upon The Wheel) *
  2. “Roadhouse Blues” (Take 8, We’re Goin’ To The Roadhouse) *
Third Session
  1. “Roadhouse Blues” (Takes 1 & 2, We’re Gonna Have A Real Good Time) *
  2. “Roadhouse Blues” (Takes 5, 6 & 14, Let It Roll Baby Roll) *
Dawn’s Highway (Peace Frog/Blue Sunday Session)
  1. “Peace Frog/Blue Sunday” (Take 4) *
  2. “Peace Frog” (Take 12) *
LP Track Listing

Side One: Hard Rock Cafe
  1. “Roadhouse Blues”
  2. “Waiting For The Sun”
  3. “You Make Me Real”
  4. “Peace Frog”
  5. “Blue Sunday”
  6. “Ship Of Fools”
Side Two: Morrison Hotel
  1. “Land Ho!”
  2. “The Spy”
  3. “Queen Of The Highway”
  4. “Indian Summer”
  5. “Maggie M’Gill”
* previously unreleased

The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (08-29-20)
Old 08-29-20, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Love the Doors, but their anniversary releases have been all over the place. Will be interesting to hear these outtakes.
Old 09-03-21, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

3-CD/1-LP Set Expands The Doors’ Sixth Studio Album with More Than Two Hours Of Unreleased Session Outtakes.

L.A. WOMAN: 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION includes the original album newly remastered by The Doors’ longtime engineer and mixer Bruce Botnick, two bonus discs of unreleased studio outtakes, and the stereo mix of the original album on 180-gram virgin vinyl.

For this new collection, the original album has been expanded with more than two hours of unreleased recordings taken from the sessions for L.A. Woman, allowing the listener to experience the progression of each song as it developed in the studio. An early demo for “Hyacinth House” recorded at Robby Krieger’s home studio in 1969 is also included.

The outtakes feature Jim Morrison, John Densmore, Robby Krieger, and Ray Manzarek working in the studio with two additional musicians. The first was rhythm guitarist Marc Benno, who worked with Leon Russell in The Asylum Choir. The other was bassist Jerry Scheff, who was a member of Elvis Presley’s TCB band.

Among the outtakes of album tracks, you can also hear the band joyously ripping through the kinds of classic blues songs that Morrison once described as “original blues.” There are great takes of Junior Parker’s “Mystery Train,” John Lee Hooker’s “Crawling King Snake,” Big Joe Williams’ “Baby Please Don’t Go,” and “Get Out Of My Life Woman,” Lee Dorsey’s funky 1966 classic, written by his producer Allen Toussaint.

In the collection’s extensive liner notes, veteran rock journalist David Fricke explores the whirlwind making of the album, which would be the last with Morrison, who died in Paris a few months after its release. “Morrison may never have come back to The Doors,” he writes. “But with his death, L.A. Woman became rebirth, achievement, and finale, all at once. It’s the blues too – original blues, as Morrison promised. Fifty years later, there is still nothing like it.”

L.A. WOMAN: 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION

CD Track Listing

Disc One: Original Stereo Mix Remastered
  1. “The Changeling”
  2. “Love Her Madly”
  3. “Been Down So Long”
  4. “Cars Hiss By My Window”
  5. “L.A. Woman”
  6. “L’America”
  7. “Hyacinth House”
  8. “Crawling King Snake”
  9. “The WASP (Texas Radio And The Big Beat)”
  10. “Riders On The Storm”
Bonus Tracks
  1. “Hyacinth House” – Demo
  2. “Riders On The Storm” – Sunset Sound Version *
Disc Two: L.A. Woman Sessions, Part 1
  1. “The Changeling” *
  2. “Love Her Madly” *
  3. “Riders On The Storm” *
  4. “L.A. Woman” (Part 1) *
Disc Three: L.A. Woman Sessions, Part 2
  1. “L.A. Woman” (Part 2) *
  2. “She Smells So Nice” *
  3. “Rock Me Baby” *
  4. “Mr. Mojo Risin’” *
  5. “Baby Please Don’t Go” *
  6. “L.A. Woman” (Part 3) *
  7. “Been Down So Long” *
  8. “Get Out Of My Life Woman” *
  9. “Crawling King Snake” *
  10. “The Bastard Son Of Jimmy & Mama Reed (Cars Hiss By My Window)” *
  11. “Been Down So Long” *
  12. “Mystery Train” *
  13. “The WASP (Texas Radio And The Big Beat)” *

L.A. WOMAN (ORIGINAL STEREO MIX REMASTERED)

LP Track Listing

Side One
  1. “The Changeling”
  2. “Love Her Madly”
  3. “Been Down So Long”
  4. “Cars Hiss By My Window”
  5. “L.A. Woman”
Side Two
  1. “L’America”
  2. “Hyacinth House”
  3. “Crawling King Snake”
  4. “The WASP (Texas Radio And The Big Beat)”
  5. “Riders On The Storm”

https://store.thedoors.com/collectio...tion-3-cd-1-lp
PhantomStranger (09-04-21)
Old 09-04-21, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it was ten years ago they had planned a $100 LA Woman set through Rhino which was going to have 4 discs. That got canceled because they didn't think it would sell enough.

I'll probably get it because it's one of my favorites.
Old 11-18-22, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

“Paris Blues” traveled a long and winding path to its release, taking on a mythic quality among Doors’ fans along the way. An original blues song written by the band; the track was recorded during one of the band’s recording sessions for either The Soft Parade or L.A. Woman (no one seems to remember). The master tape of the song was lost and the only surviving copy was given to Doors’ keyboardist Ray Manzarek. Sadly, this copy was partially damaged by his son Pablo (a toddler at the time), who recorded over a few short parts. Now, through some creative editing, the song has been rescued from obscurity for the new album.

PhantomStranger (11-19-22)
Old 11-19-22, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not bad at all, probably would have been worked into a strong album track. The great unknown is what would have happened to the Doors if Morrison hadn't died.