Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Chris Cornell dead at 52

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Chris Cornell dead at 52

Old 05-18-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Chris Cornell dead at 52

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't really get that I guess. I mean I don't want anything to happen to him but a lot of these guys have had substance abuse related deaths (we don't know with Cornell yet but I wouldn't rule it out as a factor). Vedder doesn't have those types of issues that I'm aware of.
You are right. It's probably just darkly tongue in cheek.
Old 05-18-17, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't really get that I guess. I mean I don't want anything to happen to him but a lot of these guys have had substance abuse related deaths (we don't know with Cornell yet but I wouldn't rule it out as a factor). Vedder doesn't have those types of issues that I'm aware of.
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You are right. It's probably just darkly tongue in cheek.
Yeah, it's because Vedder is the last frontman of the "Big Four" grunge bands (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden) still alive. Nothing to do with his lifestyle, just a sad statement on how many of these guys are gone.
Old 05-18-17, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

Well, in all fairness, Soundgarden has never been a very active band on stage. I have seen them twice about ten years apart and each time it was mostly just them standing around on stage and playing their instruments. The tempo of the songs languished and there just wasn't much energy. I think we are all looking for self-fulfililng prophecies here.
If Cornell was that detached and disinterested for his entire career I find it amazing that Soundgarden built up the fanbase that they did and sold as many concert tickets as they did.
Old 05-18-17, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, in all fairness, Soundgarden has never been a very active band on stage. I have seen them twice about ten years apart and each time it was mostly just them standing around on stage and playing their instruments. The tempo of the songs languished and there just wasn't much energy. I think we are all looking for self-fulfililng prophecies here.
I'd agree with this. When I saw them with Nine Inch Nails a few summers back, they didn't look all that energetic, but they certainly connected through the music. Phenomenal singer. This is a tough one to digest. I was so looking forward to future Soundgarden music and potentially seeing them when they released a new album.
Old 05-18-17, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Horrible news to wake up to this morning. I had the chance to see him three times in concert: once as a solo act in 2000, with members of Eleven backing him up, once in 2003 with Audioslave, and once in 2014 with Soundgarden. All three really terrific shows, and his voice always sounded incredible.
Old 05-18-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That occurred to me as well when it was divulged he had a "band around his neck."

I think that the people who practice autoerotic asphyxiation put a belt on their necks instead of actually hanging themselves.
But the thing that sticks out in a lot of people's minds is the description of how he was found. It was reported he was laying down on the bathroom floor. It makes you wonder how exactly he was able to hang himself. I don't know. Either way, it doesn't make his death any less painful.
Old 05-18-17, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
If Cornell was that detached and disinterested for his entire career I find it amazing that Soundgarden built up the fanbase that they did and sold as many concert tickets as they did.
If they taped the entire show I could show you ten times as many clips where he was pumped up, engaged with the audience, telling stories and singing his heart out. Not to mention he's played these songs thousands of times. He's not going to be smiling ear to ear and bouncing up and down nonstop.
Old 05-18-17, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Well, in all fairness, Soundgarden has never been a very active band on stage. I have seen them twice about ten years apart and each time it was mostly just them standing around on stage and playing their instruments.
I agree, saw them once in 1994 and that's exactly how they were.
Old 05-18-17, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

His music was so upbeat, and positive.
Hearing he might be depressed and suicidal is shocking.
R.I.P.
One of the greatest rock voices.
Old 05-18-17, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Wonder if it was Erotic asphyxiation.
Old 05-18-17, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

WTFUCK!

I've been listening to TEMPLE OF THE DOG box set for the last 2-3 weeks, and that's after listening to BADMOTORFINGER box set for a couple of weeks (months ago). Then last night I needed something extra to buy to cover free shipping , so I decided to get ULTRAMEGA OK expanded edition... then I'm awakened by a text message at 4:34am (by a fellow dvdtalker btw )... fuck
Old 05-18-17, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by parrotheads4
His music was so upbeat, and positive.
Hearing he might be depressed and suicidal is shocking.
R.I.P.
One of the greatest rock voices.
Listen to SuperKnownUnknown again. There's some dark stuff on that album w the afformentioned Fell On Black Days, and the last song on the album is called "Like Suicide"

and the last song the band ever performed was In My Time of Dying by Led Zeppelin
Old 05-18-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Damn... That takes on a whole new meaning, doesn't it?
i'm curious too if that's something he says every night, as some bands have the tendancy to do the same show every night
Old 05-18-17, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
If they taped the entire show I could show you ten times as many clips where he was pumped up, engaged with the audience, telling stories and singing his heart out. Not to mention he's played these songs thousands of times. He's not going to be smiling ear to ear and bouncing up and down nonstop.
Have you ever seen Iron Maiden? They're older, been playing the same songs more often over a much longer period of time, and still smile ear to ear and bounce up and down nonstop. Bruce Dickinson is a maniac on stage from start to finish (as are Steve Harris and Janick Gers).

When you're playing to a few thousand fans it's not unreasonable to expect that you'd have some kind of visible positive response.

Watching that clip, I saw a guy who didn't want to be there. If he was like that from the beginning of his career then his demeanor from last night's show means nothing in relation to what happened. Or it means everything (not getting a huge rush out of an adoring crowd certainly isn't the response you'd expect from someone who was OK).

Clearly his wife knew there was a problem, because he hadn't been out of contact for long following the show before she called someone to check on him.

Regardless, he was a great singer and songwriter. Not always my style (just as often not - I have a couple Soundgarden albums and like about half the songs), but I have a lot of respect for him.

It's really unfortunate that he believed there was no other way out - no way to make his life better. He still had a lot to contribute. It brings to mind the suicide of Brad Delp. He still had a great voice, too, but just couldn't find a way to go on. I hate to see just about anyone go out like that.
Old 05-19-17, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I can't believe this happened. Great voice, and I love plenty of Soundgarden songs over the years.

They were gonna play at a radio festival in St. Louis Saturday night that my friend had tickets to.

This is unreal. Expected it with some others, but not with Cornell.
Old 05-19-17, 05:10 AM

Received 817 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525

and the last song the band ever performed was In My Time of Dying by Led Zeppelin
Zeppelin didnt actually write that song. It's an old blues number.
Old 05-19-17, 06:57 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Chris Cornell’s Family: Prescription Drugs May Have Influenced Suicide

Chris Cornell’s family has issued a statement questioning the coroner’s report that the singer intentionally took his own life on Thursday.

“Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris—or if any substances contributed to his demise,” the Cornell family said.

The 52 year-old Soundgarden frontman had a prescription for Ativan, the family said, and may have taken a higher dosage. Attorney Kirk Pasich noted that Ativan can cause paranoid or suicidal thoughts, slurred speech and impaired judgement.

Ativan is a tranquilizer and anti-anxiety medication that is sometimes used as a sleeping aid.

Vicky Cornell, the singer’s wife, added, “Chris’s death is a loss that escapes words and has created an emptiness in my heart that will never be filled. As everyone who knew him commented, Chris was a devoted father and husband.”

She said Cornell flew home from Soundgarden’s tour the weekend before to spend time with his wife and children, before returning to the mid-west.

Cornell was found dead in his hotel bathroom early Thursday in Detroit. Soundgarden had played a show just hours before at the Fox Theater.

His death was ruled a suicide by hanging by the local medical examiner, but Cornell’s family called the mentions of suicide “disturbing.”

“When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different,” his wife added. “When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him.”

She added: “What happened is inexplicable and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details. I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life. The outpouring of love and support from his fans, friends and family means so much more to us than anyone can know. Thank you for that, and for understanding how difficult this is for us.”
http://variety.com/2017/music/news/c...de-1202436611/
Old 05-19-17, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Sooo .. setting up a lawsuit
Old 05-19-17, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BearFan
Sooo .. setting up a lawsuit
My wife was on Adivan for a time for sleeping issues. She would take four at a time on occasion. She never did anything like this. It's bullshit. They are just looking for answers where there are none. It's a classic suicide response.
Old 05-19-17, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 05-19-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My wife was on Adivan for a time for sleeping issues. She would take four at a time on occasion. She never did anything like this. It's bullshit. They are just looking for answers where there are none. It's a classic suicide response.
It could be BS but you can't go by one example and apply it to everyone. Prescription drugs affect everyone differently.
Old 05-19-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
It could be BS but you can't go by one example and apply it to everyone. Prescription drugs affect everyone differently.
No, I'm right. It's not even a possible side effect of the drug:

http://www.rxlist.com/ativan-side-ef...rug-center.htm

His wife is making shit up and crapping on his memory by blaming others. We will never know why but whatever the reason, it's all on Chris. So she needs to shut the fuck up.
Old 05-19-17, 12:45 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I got into a huge argument with a co-worker today.
It all started when he was telling a story of how he was discussing Chris dead in a forum yesterday and some douchbag came in and said "oh Soundgarden was just a Pearl Jam ripoff band" and he then went off the rails saying how they are in the same sentence is beyond him. That Pearl Jam is a one horse trick whereas Soundgarden were the true innovators of the genre.

And I'm no super fan of either band but he said "Pearl Jam is the 2nd most overrated band in history right after Kiss" And NO NO NO that tittle belongs to 'Dave Mathews Band"
Old 05-19-17, 12:48 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

His wife is making shit up and crapping on his memory by blaming others. We will never know why but whatever the reason, it's all on Chris. So she needs to shut the fuck up.

Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

confusion, depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;

It sure is a possible side effect. That is from the link you posted.

Last edited by EddieMoney; 05-19-17 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Self-harm and suicide associated with benzodiazepine usage : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2047018/

Benzodiazepines and Suicide : https://www.benzoinfo.com/single-pos...es-and-Suicide

Last edited by inri222; 05-19-17 at 01:10 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.