Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-18-17, 09:06 AM   #26
Premium Member

Re: Chris Cornell dead at 52

Wow. I was going to see Soundgarden tomorrow night.

Really sad to hear this news about Chris.
Old 05-18-17, 09:09 AM   #27
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Was he dealing with depression?
Look like it. News going around is that it was suicide and he hung himself.

Goat3001: "I like when Ronnie says he has the best girl in Seaside. It's like saying you're dating the smartest girl in Special Ed."
Old 05-18-17, 09:13 AM   #28

Quote:
5:34 AM PT -- TMZ has confirmed with police the family friend had to force his way into Cornell's room and found him with a band around his neck. We're told there was no blood, and police suspect suicide based on the scene.

5:05 AM PT -- A report from Detroit's WXYZ says Cornell's body was discovered on the bathroom floor of his hotel room at MGM Grand Detroit after Soundgarden's show Wednesday night. Cornell's wife allegedly called a family friend to check on the singer ... and police are saying it appears Cornell died from an apparent suicide.
Old 05-18-17, 09:21 AM   #29
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, this one came a shock to me as well like Paxton. Two good guys (well I assume good guys as I obviously didn't know them) you never heard anything bad about - sad.
Old 05-18-17, 09:22 AM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Man, Soundgarden was part of the soundtrack to my high school years. RIP

Val Kilmer just posted:

Quote:
Val Kilmer
11 mins ·

Dear Chris Cornell used to come to my parties n Hollywood n play quietly in th corner until all the woman were literally at his feet listenin. He was such a great song writer and so humble about it. A real artist. And that voice...
Taylor Momsen posted yesterday that The Pretty Reckless were having their last show with Soundgarden last night. I wonder if they noticed anything was off.
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.

Last edited by stingermck; 05-18-17 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-18-17, 09:57 AM   #31
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Damn. I have been listening to some Soundgarden live shit in my car all week.

Eddie Vedder is the only one of the major players from that scene and era left.
And Grohl - although not really a "major player" (in terms of popularity) at that time like vedder, cornell, cobain.

This is hitting me pretty hard - cornell was one of the most unique and reconizable voices in music, and one of the major voices during my formative years. I liked Prince just as much as the next guy... but this was my music.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 05-18-17 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-18-17, 10:00 AM   #32
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
In my time of dying, I want nobody to mourn

All I want for you to do is take my body home

Those are the opening lines to the last song Chris Cornell ever sang on stage. It was a cover of Led Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying."

Cornell and his band Soundgarden have covered the song before and they did it again to close out the show at Detroit's Fox Theater on Wednesday.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/entert...of-dying-trnd/
Old 05-18-17, 10:03 AM   #33
DVD Talk Hero

His last song:

Old 05-18-17, 10:15 AM   #34
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

In terms of vocalists, probably (unless you count Grohl), but we've still got Jerry Cantrell, Kim Thayil, Mike McReady, Stone Gossard, and Jeff Ament, to name a few. Not to mention Mark Arm, who was incredibly influential even if he (and Mudhoney) never got the popular accolades that Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Pearl Jam did.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 05-18-17, 10:21 AM   #35
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nothing confirmed but it looks like it was possibly suicide:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/a...undgarden.html
Old 05-18-17, 10:22 AM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
In terms of vocalists, probably (unless you count Grohl), but we've still got Jerry Cantrell, Kim Thayil, Mike McReady, Stone Gossard, and Jeff Ament, to name a few. Not to mention Mark Arm, who was incredibly influential even if he (and Mudhoney) never got the popular accolades that Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Pearl Jam did.
Yeah, I was thinking of vocalists. And I was only thinking of the big 4 (or 5 if you count STP).
Old 05-18-17, 10:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Chris Cornell was not depressed or in a suicidal state the evening he died ... this according to his wife.

Sources who spoke with Chris' wife Thursday morning tell TMZ, Vicky Cornell spoke with her husband during soundcheck before he took the stage in Detroit and after Wednesday night's show. According to our sources, Vicky says Chris was NOT in any way, shape or form in a suicidal state. She doubled down and said there were no signs he was at all depressed.

We're told Vicky tried reaching Chris in his hotel room early Thursday morning but he was not answering. She became concerned and asked someone to call hotel security. That's when Chris' body was discovered.

Vicky told people Thursday morning he was devoted to his kids -- ages 16, 12 and 11 -- and she didn't believe he would take his life.

That said, law enforcement says Chris' death is an apparent suicide, which raises the question of if he had fallen off the wagon.
Old 05-18-17, 10:28 AM   #38
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Everyone forgets Mark Lanegan!
Who I think is the most talented singer of the bunch.
Old 05-18-17, 10:38 AM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

Terrible news to wake up to, especially to his friends and family.

Not a superfan, but his voice was still part of the soundtrack of the last few decades and never seemed to get old.

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 05-18-17, 10:47 AM   #40
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in total shock this morning. On the one hand, I am saddened that his voice is forever silenced. On the other hand, I am frustrated and mad that somebody could take their own life. He must have been battling some serious inner demons to do this right in the middle of a tour. My heart aches for his family. He was truly a unique talent.
"People can hurl any epithet they want about the snobbishness they think audiophiles retain. Let them drink their wine from boxes. The sound of my Bob Ludwig–mastered pressing of Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy coming through my system cuts through their contempt like Toshiro Mifune's katana blade!" - Henry Rollins
Old 05-18-17, 11:12 AM   #41
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn.

Saw Soundgarden in '14 when they toured with NIN. My wife wasn't a at all fan of the Soundgarden going into that show, but was a total convert afterwards, and she was really blown away by Cornell in particular. She was sadder than I was when I told her the news this morning.
Old 05-18-17, 11:23 AM   #42

Quote:
Rare Chris Cornell Music From Cameron Crowe’s 1992 Film Singles Out Tomorrow

Chris Cornell’s tragic death corresponds, strangely, with the previously-scheduled reissue of some his most rare and important music. A deluxe reissue of the influential soundtrack for director Cameron Crowe’s 1992 grunge-inspired drama and musical variety show Singles is due out tomorrow, and it includes two Cornell songs–his own “Seasons” and Soundgarden’s “Birth Ritual”–as well a rare EP of music he wrote for potential inclusion to the film. The EP is titled Poncier, after the film’s lead character Cliff Poncier (played by Matt Dillon), and most notably, includes an early solo version of “Spoonman,” which would, of course, later be included on Soundgarden’s 1994 album Superunknown and become one of their biggest hits.

In a recent interview, Cornell called Singles and its soundtrack, “kind of a key factor in what was referred to as the Seattle scene and the Seattle movement.” Cornell was integral to the film as an advisor and muse, as well as a contributing artist. As Cameron Crowe recalled in a new interview about the film and its soundtrack, Cornell also pointed Crowe towards some of the music he used in the film (specifically, introducing him to the Smashing Pumpkins), and was on the short list to play the role of Poncier. Crowe remembered:

Chris Cornell was another guy who was close to us when we were making the record, and still is a good friend. I really loved Soundgarden; they were my favorite band. I originally thought Chris could play the lead, but then I think that turned into too big of a commitment for everybody and so he became the guy he is in the movie, but in the course of making the movie he was close to all of us. He was always around.

“The guy he is in the movie,” ultimately, is just a cameo role, as himself: He comes out to enjoy the wattage of a new car stereo Poncier has installed for his girlfriend, before it malfunctions and destroys the car. Then he performs “Birth Ritual” with Soundgarden.
http://www.spin.com/2017/05/chris-co...cameron-crowe/
Old 05-18-17, 11:30 AM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Even though it's being said he wasn't suicidal you have to wonder if it was on his mind before doing it given the last song he sang.
Old 05-18-17, 11:55 AM   #44
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
His last song:

The articles say the last song was In My Time of Dying.

"I think I misworded that wrong." -conscience
Old 05-18-17, 12:01 PM   #45
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bralph View Post
The articles say the last song was In My Time of Dying.
Yes and No.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/soundg...-43e7fb7f.html

Setlist

Ugly Truth
Hunted Down
Non-State Actor
Searching With My Good Eye Closed
Spoonman
Outshined
Kickstand
Black Hole Sun
By Crooked Steps
The Day I Tried to Live
My Wave
Been Away Too Long
Fell on Black Days
Mailman
A Thousand Days Before
Burden in My Hand
Blow Up the Outside World
Jesus Christ Pose

Encore:
Rusty Cage
Play Video
Slaves & Bulldozers (with "In My Time of Dying" refrain)
Old 05-18-17, 12:10 PM   #46
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:

Billy Corgan?

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 05-18-17, 12:13 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Billy Corgan?
Not from Seattle... if that's what he meant.
Old 05-18-17, 12:29 PM   #48

Quote:

Chris Cornell was fully anticipating Soundgarden's next concert stop after Detroit ... and shared his feelings with the crowd Wednesday night.

In the footage ... Chris and the band were about to start an encore, and he gushed about how awesome Detroit fans had been, saying, "I feel a little bit sorry for the next f***ing place we play."

They were set to play Friday in Columbus, Ohio and Chris joked he'll have to tell fans there, "You should have been at that Detroit show. That crowd was something."

The Fox Theatre crowd ate it up, but this clearly shows Chris was in great spirits, and already thinking beyond Wednesday night. TMZ broke the story ... Chris' wife, Vicky, said he showed no signs of depression or being suicidal in the hours before he was found dead.
This all seems so strange to me.
Old 05-18-17, 12:38 PM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
I watched some clips from last nights show at the bottom of that story, and he looked really disinterested - as if he didn't want to be there. Was that his usual performing style, or was that out of the oridinary? (I'm used to musicians having more enthusiasm and looking like they're actually enjoying playing on stage...)
Quote:
His last song:

For comparison, here's how he played in 2014 on the NIN tour. It doesn't seem much different. And I distinctly recall the 2014 show being very good, especially with regards to Cornell.

Old 05-18-17, 01:01 PM   #50

TMZ reports official cause of death as suicide:

Quote:
Chris Cornell hanged himself ... this according to the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office.

The office released the cause of death Thursday as a "suicide by hanging," just hours after Cornell's body was discovered in a Detroit hotel room following a concert. A full autopsy report, including toxicology results has not yet been completed.

We're told Chris' wife, Vicky, became concerned when she couldn't reach the Soundgarden frontman after his show and police discovered his body on the bathroom floor.

Cornell was 52 years old.