Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you still buy CDs / have you gotten rid of them?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Do you still buy CDs / have you gotten rid of them?

Old 04-14-17, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: Do you still buy CDs / have you gotten rid of them?

I used to buy a ton every month (roughly 1989 through 1995) but the rising prices turned me off, then DVDs came around and my interest in CDs hasn't come back since, even though I've seen some decent prices on them recently. I mainly don't have as much time to listen to them anymore, but it's also a case of having pretty much everything I want and not being into too much new music.

Haven't bought a single MP3 ever, I'd still rather buy a CD- last CD I bought was the new Depeche Mode (on sale for $9.99, an unheard of low price for a new release just a few years ago) though I haven't had time to listen to it- in fact I bought their previous album and haven't even listened to that yet! Music Blu-Rays with multi-channel sound and 3D visuals are FAR more appealing to me right now.
Old 04-14-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

The only time I buy a CD is if Amazon's wonky pricing makes it cheaper to buy it & get the free auto rip. For example the new Old 97's is $9.49 for the MP3 version. But the CD with free MP3 version is $7.40. Weird.
Old 04-14-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

Only from my fave band in an effort to continue that lil' collection.
Old 04-14-17, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

New releases I'll go either way depending on the price. Catalog I tend to go digital except, as mentioned, when the CD is auto-rip and priced lower.

I like some CD packaging but often don't even open it and just use the auto-rip, and that way it's in my Amazon library for use with my Sonos or Alexa. I use Spotify but don't pay for premium so can't use it with those services.
Old 04-14-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eddie W
The only time I buy a CD is if Amazon's wonky pricing makes it cheaper to buy it & get the free auto rip. For example the new Old 97's is $9.49 for the MP3 version. But the CD with free MP3 version is $7.40. Weird.
I think the last 15 or so CDs I bought were like this. Last year around this time I bought a bunch of Iggy Pop and Sonic Youth CDs for about $3.99 a pop and they all had auto-rip, meanwhile just buying the MP3s alone would have been the $9.49 per album.
Old 04-14-17, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

I've got several thousand. All catalogued and shelved alphabetically and by genre. I've been at this almost 50 years though. Everything from Christmas to movie soundtracks to Black Sabbath to Sons of the Pioneers. If you ever listened to Theme Time Radio Hour with Bob Dylan my collection is as varied as the show. I probably buy about 100 a year now. I used to buy as many as 10 a week.
This is a lifetime collection. Back in the 70s and 80s I would tape all the King Biscuit and BBC Live shows, simulcasts, etc. When MTV and VHS came along, I ran the audio from cable box to cassette recorder and recorded all the MTV Saturday concerts. Later transferred everything to cd.
I'll select a cd, like you select a movie, and just sit and listen from beginning to end not doing anything else.
Old 04-14-17, 06:25 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

After getting a divorce and selling our house, I decluttered, staring at the enormous pile of CDs, I was like nope. Not going to move these- Which I don't really regret. 5% regret. but just not worth the hassle
Old 04-14-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

My CD purchasing/collecting has exploded over the last year and a half. Primarily movie soundtracks which was my main musical love as a kid.
As is the case with a lot of things that are geared towards adult collectors now, the people producing them are grown up fans of the format and material as opposed to just corporate drones putting out product. The care, passion, and attention to detail that goes into producing these release are clearly evident, and that's gotten me hooked.

I went from buying maybe one CD every several years to well over 300 in just the last 18 months. I just got off another large order (17 discs) with Intrada and will probably place yet another smaller order before their current sale is up.

As far as collecting them goes- there are a few favorite titles that I want to keep around even though I will probably never need to touch the physical disc ever again. But the packages are just too damn nice. They almost always use iconic key art, as well as including extensive liner notes in well illustrated booklets. For a film I love, it's just a compact, beautiful little package to have.

However I would like to narrow down that core collection to a specific number, just so I don't start hoarding again. Maybe limit it to 100 titles and then cull from those if/when I add anything new. Most of the stuff I pick up at this point is destined for the sell pile after I rip it. And to hit on another question from the OP- I would much rather have the physical disc and rip it myself, than to just take a download. On good gear I do feel like I can hear a slight uptick in quality. Not large, but it is there (to my ears). For most stuff, if I can get a good rip and then sell off the disc, I've essentially gotten a high quality download for slightly less than the going rate (after you factor in the usual slight loss from the resale). The majority of stuff I really don't feel a need to own physically- but I do want a high quality copy of it.

And that's another great thing about CDs now, as opposed to BD/DVDs- Amazon hasn't changed the rules yet on reselling them. General music might be a tougher proposition, but soundtracks are still quite niche and appeal to an older demographic that isn't as hung up on downloading- so selling them off is still somewhat of a viable way to subsidize new purchases.
Old 04-15-17, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I haven't bought a CD in, probably, five or more years.

I just don't give a shit about new music to want to spend money on them. Ten or more bucks for an album I might listen to once all teh way through just doesn't seem like a good deal. Very little released in the past twenty or so years holds my interest, and I keep going back to the stuff I loved as a kid through y college years.

I love Metallica, but I'd rather listen to KEA, RTL, or MOP again than HTSD.

Everything is up on youtube for free anyway, so if I want to check something out I'll just go there.
Old 04-15-17, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Wife and I tend to go to the used CD store and buy either $1 titles (that tend to be the 80s/90s country that we both love) or buy blind bags of 10 CDs and pray for a couple good ones.

The only new music I'm into is country and country is still very singles oriented. I buy my one favorite band's new music on vinyl, then the rest I just throw the songs I like from SiriusXM onto a Youtube playlist.
Old 04-15-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I still buy CDs and I haven't got rid of any. I do buy songs every so often from iTunes, but going to the record store and sifting through all the different new and used CDs in different genres is the best.
Old 04-15-17, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I still buy for the occasional band that offers a pre-order bonus,
Didn't think of that. I pre-ordered Ayreon's newest as he usually signs the first however many copies.
Old 04-15-17, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

I just bought 4 today.

Dropped off three boxes of books and household stuff at the thrift store, and I always talk a look inside (usually looking for board games - they had none.)
But I got 4 CDs - three country and a Disney soundtrack - for .49 each.
Old 04-15-17, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I still listen to and buy CDs. I must have close to 2000 by now. I have a 6-disc CD player on my stereo and load it up to listen to while I work. (I work at home). Its great finding obscure classic stuff (rock, r&b, country) at my local Salvation Army every week for 50 cent to $1 each!
Old 04-16-17, 06:06 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Last CD I bought was by Frank Steiner Jr. ~ Touching Silk (new age), probably 7 or 8 years ago, it's the perfect cruising music. I've had that same music playing in my car since I bought it, made copies of it for my wife and me, we both enjoy it every time we go somewhere.
Old 04-16-17, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I still buy a ton.
Old 04-16-17, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Has anyone burn them all to a gigadrive? I thought about doing that but afraid of it breaking down in the near future.
Old 04-17-17, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

I only buy CD's for the music I love so that's pretty much all I buy but some of my bands are now releasing digital copies only. New music is terrible these days and you know it is when the generation growing up with it agrees.
Old 04-17-17, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

I still buy CDs.

Storage is a pain, but the albums I buy tend to be albums that work best as a whole rather than a collection of songs, and more often than not, it's WAY cheaper than buying digitally, iTunes or whatever, and that's to say nothing of sound quality. I still have a CD player in my car (along with a USB port) so I can play whatever I want too.

I get why people don't want the physical items and would just rather stream everything through their devices, and it is tempting, but that shit just devalues the music to me, and I prefer CDs and vinyl, because I actually like my music and prefer it presented to me in the best manner possible, even if storing it might be a pain.
Old 04-17-17, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

I still buy CDs occasionally. The decision tree goes something like this for albums I want:

Buy the vinyl if it's available and isn't exorbitantly expensive.
If not vinyl, buy the CD if it's less expensive than the digital download and rip it immediately.
If not readily available on physical formats or is considerably less expensive digitally, buy the digital download.

I listen to MP3s/streams quite a bit, especially since my car supports MP3 via USB, but I don't really feel like I "have" an album if I only have the digital download so it is not my preferred format for purchasing. I am not the target market for subscription streaming as that feels even less like I'm engaging with an album in any kind of meaningful way.
Old 04-17-17, 01:06 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
New releases I'll go either way depending on the price. Catalog I tend to go digital except, as mentioned, when the CD is auto-rip and priced lower.

I like some CD packaging but often don't even open it and just use the auto-rip, and that way it's in my Amazon library for use with my Sonos or Alexa. I use Spotify but don't pay for premium so can't use it with those services.
I used to like that feature from Amazon. I bought a few physical CDs from Amazon that had that feature so I use to stream those albums. Then i started noticing some songs didn't sound like I remembered, so i pulled out the actual CDs, played them on my cheap portable Disc player and there was a world of difference in quality (at least to my ears) the mp3 sounded all muffled compared to the actual CDs. Haven't used that feature ever since
Old 04-17-17, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

I wonder if in 10-20 years CDs will make a resurgence like vinyl did, with people re-discovering their superior qualities of better sound, no background noise and durability? ...
Old 04-17-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Ha!

If I do need to listen to a CD I can check them out for free form the library.
Old 04-17-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

This is the golden age of cheap CDs and a dream for real music lovers if you know what you are doing. There is a lot of music that likely never escapes the format. Streaming services are terrible for out of print material and stray b-sides that often got released on deluxe CD editions.

The only thing I worry about is the availability of new albums on CD. Some younger-skewing acts are now skipping CD releases.
Old 04-17-17, 07:18 PM

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

I've been trying to move a lot of my CDs onto my computer and into iTunes, and I've got all that I've done so far backed up on a jump drive.

My quandary is that some albums, like Pink Floyd's The Wall, for instance, segue all or certain songs together. When they're broken up into individual tracks, they start and end weirdly, and if I'm listening to the entire album sequentially, there are annoying pauses between the tracks that disrupt the intended flow of the music.

Does this not bother those of you who are going all digital, or have you found some miracle work-around so that this doesn't occur?

Last edited by rbrown498; 04-18-17 at 03:35 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.