Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue 5/26

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue 5/26

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-17, 11:09 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue 5/26

The only 2017 mono release is of Sgt. Pepper on CD and it's the same mastering as the 2009 mono, but a new transfer to CD. Some people on SHF feel the new transfer is better, some feel the 2009 is.
Old 06-06-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue 5/26

please let me know when this new release makes it to YouTube
Old 06-06-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I got a chuckle out of this on a Beatles Facebook group this morning.

The TL;DR version: guy bought the Deluxe box set, opened it up and, to his horror, he thought they sent him the vinyl version instead of the 4 CD/DVD/Blu Ray version (the CDs/Blu Ray/DVD come packaged in replica vinyl album packaging). Without even bothering to open it, he ships the whole thing back to Amazon and wonders if this happened to anyone else...

Old 06-06-17, 02:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What happened when people told him he had received the correct set after all?
Old 06-06-17, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will never pay these ridiculous price-gouging amounts when other labels are releasing similar products for $30-$40. Jethro Tull, Marillion. If I can get this for $40 fine otherwise I'll just listen to my countless Beatles bootlegs.
Old 06-06-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
What happened when people told him he had received the correct set after all?
He was surprisingly good-natured and self-effacing about the entire ordeal, in the "well that's not the DUMBEST thing I've ever done... but close" vein.

Of course FB being FB, that didn't stop complete strangers from engaging in Shitcock mode and calling him a moron fuckface...
Old 06-06-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TerryW
I will never pay these ridiculous price-gouging amounts when other labels are releasing similar products for $30-$40. Jethro Tull, Marillion. If I can get this for $40 fine otherwise I'll just listen to my countless Beatles bootlegs.
Which reminds me, I need to pick up that Songs From The Wood deluxe set.
Old 06-08-17, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryW
the new Purple Rain box set which is 3 cds and a live dvd is $24 and change from amazon
Old 06-10-17, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had been postponing opening this up until my birthday in mid-July, however I just coudn't wait any longer. I'm weak. Put on the blu-ray 5.1 disc first and listened in DTS. It's a very clean well mixed sounding presentation. This is an album that I will no doubt listen to again and again, loud. It also includes remixed 5.1 versions of SFF and Penny Lane which were recorded at the front end of the Sgt. Peppers sessions. I also watched the video of the making of Sgt. Pepper's on the same disc and thought it was very well done. I haven't yet listened to the two discs of outtakes, but what I did hear was pure ear-candy. All of the extras (book, poster, Sgt. Peppers cut-out poster) were superb. Also, the 3-D box set cover is amazing. I highly recommend this box set for Beatles fans of any degree or variety.

I was flirting with the idea of picking up Paul's Flowers In The Dirt box set but decided to pass, a decision which I'm not regretting based on what was included. I wouldn't mind hearing that 3rd disc of studio demos though. I bought the 2-CD version on ebay for $10 with the original acoustic demos.
Old 10-20-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

2 YEAR BUMP

Now that the price of this dropped below $90, I finally picked it up (the CD/Blu-ray/DVD Super Deluxe Edition). I figured it may occasionally get cheaper than that, but not not by much, so go ahead and get it.

Since I just got it, I've only gone through the packaging and checking out the Blu-ray and DVD discs. I was surprised by the inclusion of the DVD given that its contents apparently are just non-HRA audio versions of what's on the Blu-ray disc - an additional disc that seems unnecessary in this day & age.