Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Dylan Q&A

Old 03-24-17, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Dylan Q&A

Stumbled upon this, great interview on his website, pending the new "Triplicate" release:

http://www.bobdylan.com/news/qa-with-bill-flanagan/

I like this little tidbit:
"When you’re on your bus, what shows do you watch on TV?

I Love Lucy, all the time, non-stop."
Old 03-24-17, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Dylan Q&A

Interesting, thanks. I'm still a big fan, even though I don't dig his latter-day strayings into rockabilly and country. He does come across as quite self-absorbed.
Old 03-24-17, 08:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Saw the podcast thread and then this one, so might as well mention that there's a podcast called Pod Dylan that examines one song at a time in informative little ~15 minute discussions. I'm not really a Dylan fan, but find interesting tidbits in each episode.
Old 03-26-17, 03:53 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Rock and roll was indeed an extension of what was going on – the big swinging bands – Ray Noble, Will Bradley, Glenn Miller, I listened to that music before I heard Elvis Presley. But rock and roll was high energy, explosive and cut down. It was skeleton music, came out of the darkness and rode in on the atom bomb and the artists were star headed like mystical Gods. Rhythm and blues, country and western, bluegrass and gospel were always there – but it was compartmentalized – it was great but it wasn’t dangerous. Rock and roll was a dangerous weapon, chrome plated, it exploded like the speed of light, it reflected the times, especially the presence of the atomic bomb which had preceded it by several years. Back then people feared the end of time. The big showdown between capitalism and communism was on the horizon. Rock and roll made you oblivious to the fear, busted down the barriers that race and religion, ideologies put up. We lived under a death cloud; the air was radioactive. There was no tomorrow, any day it could all be over, life was cheap. That was the feeling at the time and I’m not exaggerating. Doo-wop was the counterpart to rock and roll. Songs like “In the Still of the Night,” “Earth Angel,” “Thousand Miles Away,” those songs balanced things out, they were heartfelt and melancholy for a world that didn’t seem to have a heart. The doo-wop groups might have been an extension, too, of the Ink Spots and gospel music, but it didn’t matter; that was brand new too. Groups like the Five Satins and the Meadowlarks seemed to be singing from some imaginary street corner down the block. Jerry Lee Lewis came in like a streaking comet from some far away galaxy. Rock and roll was atomic powered, all zoom and doom. It didn’t seem like an extension of anything but it probably was.
Jesus Christ! What an answer. Yeah right, the guy is just an inarticulate mumbler. Wow.