Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Opeth - Sorceress (Fall 2016)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-15-16, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Nuclear Blast Entertainment has announced the signing of Swedish progressive legends OPETH.

Always an unstoppable force for uniqueness amid a sea of generic swill, OPETH has been setting the rulebook ablaze, and ploughing a uniquely progressive and exploratory furrow for over 25 years now. Neither conforming nor exhibiting any desire to be restricted to a single genre, OPETH, quite simply, has a time honored tradition of blowing our minds with both class and forward thinking. All these years later, nothing and everything has changed once again with their forthcoming album, "Sorceress".
More here:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ope...s-due-in-fall/

Nice to see a quicker turnaround on this - they've been on a 3-year cycle for a while. I definitely don't care if there are death vocals - I just hope it's new and interesting.
Old 06-15-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts
Re: Opeth - Sorceress (Fall 2016)

The only album I have is Watershed, which I like a lot. Heir Apparent is an absolutely epic track. I will say I strongly prefer some death vocals in the mix. I've been meaning to check out some of their older albums for awhile now.
Old 06-15-16, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
The only album I have is Watershed, which I like a lot. Heir Apparent is an absolutely epic track. I will say I strongly prefer some death vocals in the mix. I've been meaning to check out some of their older albums for awhile now.
For some reason Watershed seems to be not as loved as their previous release but I thought it was fantastic.

There's so much to their albums that I think your best bet would be to just pick one and digest it for a while, then repeat.

My personal opinion would be to make Blackwater Park first on your list, but really anything from Still Life on is essential.
Old 06-15-16, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Very excited about this, major fan of Opeth. Looking forward to seeing them on tour later this year. My favorite album by them is My Arms, Your Hearse. Demon of the Fall is one of my top 10 metal songs ever.
Old 06-18-16, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
Very excited about this, major fan of Opeth. Looking forward to seeing them on tour later this year. My favorite album by them is My Arms, Your Hearse. Demon of the Fall is one of my top 10 metal songs ever.
That's my favorite album as well. I really dug everything they did up until Ghost Reveries (which was fine, but never really kept my attention), then Watershed was pretty meh, and I can't even listen to the stuff after that.

A lot of times, when people ask me what kind of music I listen to, I put on "When" from My Arms .... and crank it. They're like "Oh this is pretty!" until the screams start erupting

Oh, there's a short teaser clip here: http://www.metalinjection.net/av/her...e-of-new-opeth Sounds weird. Not a fan of keyboards like that in my metal.

Last edited by joeblow69; 06-18-16 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-01-16, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqijfqecvA

Fuck, fuck, fuck this stupid embed bullshit! God, this board has gone to shit and nobody seems to give two fucks.

Anyway, digging this new track. Sounds like Camel/Alice in Chains/Bloodbath. That main riff is NASTY.

Last edited by islandclaws; 08-01-16 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-01-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by islandclaws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqijfqecvA

Fuck, fuck, fuck this stupid embed bullshit! God, this board has gone to shit and nobody seems to give two fucks.

Anyway, digging this new track. Sounds like Camel/Alice in Chains/Bloodbath. That main riff is NASTY.

Just take the part after the "=" sign in your link and paste it inside YT tags. That seems to be the best we'll get outside of an actual button which does that automatically.

I love the track. Really cool to hear low A tuning from Opeth - adds a new dimension to their music.
Old 10-01-16, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone pick this up? I got my pink vinyl today (breast cancer awareness) and can't wait to hear it!
Old 10-01-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My orange vinyl/shirt bundle is in transit but I downloaded a leak a few weeks back and have spun it around 10 times or so since.

I was hoping more songs would have the vibe of the title track, but instead we've basically gotten Pale Communion 2.0. The odd thing is that I love Opeth, and I love all the prog groups that clearly influence Mikael, but the marriage of the two seems to be lacking some unknown quality.

The songs here are good, maybe better than those on PC, but there are no all-timers here, you know? Sorceress, sure, that's a solid song that they should keep in the setlist. But otherwise? I can't recall any other songs and I've played this album a lot. Maybe it'll grow on me as time goes on but this is just more of the same old, same old they've been doing since Heritage.

I'm not going to complain and say I miss the old Opeth but, man, I miss the old Opeth.
Old 10-01-16, 03:23 PM

I can understand that. It does seem to be missing that one ingredient to make it over the top but I will say it is a damn awesome album. I think its my favorite in a long while; at least since Ghost Reveries as a whole. Now Watershed and (I can barely remember) Heritage have some great songs but this one sticks out more and I am likely to spin this one before those. After Ghost, the seemed out of ideas with Watershed and Heritage was like them being too scared to dive in. I think PC was a fresh step in the right direction and I LOVE that album with the first two songs blowing me away. But the rest seemed to need that extra push that Opeth gives with this release.

I got the album last night and I've heard it 4 times already. I am going to be hearing it quite a bit. Nonetheless, I really miss the golden era of My Arms - Blackwater, as well
Old 10-01-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. This one is sticking with me better than the last two, but for comparison's sake I tossed on Still Life the other day and, goddamn, is that ever the perfect blend of metal and melody. That's what bums me out about this "new era". Opeth combines those two disparate styles better than any band out there, and Mikael has not only a serene singing voice but he also possesses the most unholy, gut-churning growl in metal. Eschewing those signature sounds for Camel 2.0 is deflating.

But they're still one of my favorite bands ever so, whatever, I'll deal.
Old 10-03-16, 02:38 PM

So I've been spinning this the last few days (I commute 50 miles roundtrip each day) and I enjoy it more and more but I think what it needs are the long jams. It sounds like they want to do them ala camel or other 70s groove/psychedelic rock and they just want to let go. I think that would be awesome as my faves so far are The Ward and the end of Chrysilis. The other stuff is awesome but I think (hope?) will follow in the vein of these songs. Now some of these songs felt like something Ive heard before and it hit me today. The album is almost similiar to Steve Wilsons Raven that refused to sing album. Which is probably Steves best solo album to date.
Old 10-03-16, 08:43 PM

Finally sitting down and hearing my vinyl
Old 10-04-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still waiting for my deluxe package to ship from Nuclear Blast since they had to import them, so I picked up the 2-disc from Best Buy since I couldn't wait.

I'm about 8 listens in and I really like the songs a lot. I'd say this record has more in common with Heritage than Pale Communion sonically, in that it's duller sounding than PC. If this record had PC's sound I would be listening to it non-stop; as it stands now I still will listen to it a lot but the sound is a bit fatiguing. The snare is a very dull thud. I get giving the record a 70's feel, but some things about 70's recordings were best left in the 70's, especially how drums sounded.

I was also hoping for more low tuned riffs like the title track but maybe next time. I love the doom-y quality of the heavy riffs.

Looking forward to hearing the 5.1 mix - hopefully there'll be more separation in the instruments.
Old 10-04-16, 09:37 PM

Heritage is the only album I cannot name a single song from and right off the bat. I can only remember liking one song and remembering the bonus tracks were the best. But this makes me realize I better give it some more spins!

I agree that they went with a production that gives it a huge 70s feel and maybe they had vinyl in mind, but my vinyl of the album sounds awesome. Better than the CD
Old 10-05-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous
I can only remember liking one song and remembering the bonus tracks were the best.
Pyre was definitely one of the best tracks. I can name a few songs from Heritage but mostly I just know them in order. I always remember Folklore because I love the ending.
Old 02-26-17, 08:47 AM

Folklore! That's my fave track. I was hearing the album some more lately and it's growing on me.

Now Sorceress is awesome. I am hearing this album a lot. My wife, who hates death metal, loves the album and always sings songs. It's pretty cool! They're coming to red rocks here in Colorado and I'm super pissed we won't be there.