Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The New Edition Story (BET) -- 3-part movie miniseries

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

NEW EDITION: THE MOVIE - New Edition laid the foundation for how modern-day boy bands look, feel, and sound. Boyz II Men, N’SYNC, The Backstreet Boys, and New Kids On The Block all took their cues from Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky, Mike, Ralph and Johnny. After 30 years of breaking hearts on the record and from the stage, New Edition finally gets the biopic that their stellar tenure in entertainment so richly deserves. This 3-part miniseries follows the group from their middle school lunchroom to global megastardom - weathering the highs and lows of controversy, personnel changes, and the ultimate cost of fame. Algee Smith (Let It Shine), Bryshere Gray (Empire), Elijah Kelley (The Butler, The Wiz Live!), Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Luke James, Keith Powers (Straight Outta Compton) and Woody McClain(Autographs) have joined the cast to bring the iconic music group’s legend to life. Written by Abdul Williams (Lottery Ticket), “NEW EDITION: THE MOVIE” is executive produced by Jesse Collins Entertainment (Real Husbands of Hollywood) and directed by Chris Robinson (ATL).

I know this is probably unlikely, but did anyone here happen to watch the 3-part New Edition movie miniseries that aired last week? I read about it and managed to DVR all 3 parts on a Sunday re-air.

It was fantastic. One of the best movie music biographies that I've seen. They covered pretty much every aspect of their careers from when they were kids coming to together, the group breakup, drug addiction and eventually getting back together.

Very well made and cast. And they used all of New Edition's music in it. I think some was vintage recordings and others were performed by the actors.

The group was all involved in the making of the series. They are all credited as Producers, so this isn't one of those horrible Lifetime unauthorized bio movies.

They did a great job recreating some of their classic music videos as a group and as solo artists.

I had no idea that Ricky Bell was a cocaine addict during their 1996 reunion tour. Also, they portrayed Bobby Brown as Bobby Brown. A narcissistic, womanizing asshole.

I don't think there are anymore re-airs, but the episodes are available on demand.

I was so riveted that I watched all 3 parts within a day and a half.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-31-17 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-01-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: The New Edition Story (BET) -- 3-part movie miniseries

Cool. I would like to see it and will look it up. I assume I have BET or BET on demand but have never checked.
Old 02-01-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbFpxCaaJks

I know this is probably unlikely, but did anyone here happen to watch the 3-part New Edition movie miniseries that aired last week? I read about it and managed to DVR all 3 parts on a Sunday re-air.

It was fantastic. One of the best movie music biographies that I've seen. They covered pretty much every aspect of their careers from when they were kids coming to together, the group breakup, drug addiction and eventually getting back together.

Very well made and cast. And they used all of New Edition's music in it. I think some was vintage recordings and others were performed by the actors.

The group was all involved in the making of the series. They are all credited as Producers, so this isn't one of those horrible Lifetime unauthorized bio movies.

They did a great job recreating some of their classic music videos as a group and as solo artists.

I had no idea that Ricky Bell was a cocaine addict during their 1996 reunion tour. Also, they portrayed Bobby Brown as Bobby Brown. A narcissistic, womanizing asshole.

I don't think there are anymore re-airs, but the episodes are available on demand.

I was so riveted that I watched all 3 parts within a day and a half.
Oh yeah, I sure did!!!! I agree with you wholeheartedly and I've already watched parts f it several times. It doesn't hurt that New Edition is one of my favorite groups...a little brown girl of the 80's, you bet.

As I got older I kept following NE and have seen them at least a dozen times in concert, so I was very pleased at the care taken to craft this project. I LOVED that the actors sang the songs and all of the side projects were encompassed in innovative ways.

I can't complain about anything except my DVR is broken so I had to watch the initial airing with commercials, sometimes ten in a row!! Also, you know a little Bobby Brown Ghostbusters 2 theme should have been featured. LOL!!!!!

Fun fact: My cousin was one of the BBD dancers.
Old 02-02-17, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I hate I missed this. I was/am a huge New Edition fan.
Old 02-03-17, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This was really good. Watched all 3 pts over 2 days. Was never a big NE fan, but was def a fan of Bobby Brown & BBD as a kid. I also remember some of the songs from the other guys solo projects in the early 90's.
Old 02-20-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Bump

For those who missed this, all 3 parts re-air today starting today at 5pm ET.

It's roughly 6 hours total. So make sure you have enough DVR space.
Old 02-20-17, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Thanks for the bump! I just set my DVR up for it. It is showing in three parts so I had to set it to record all three separately.
Old 06-23-18, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.hulu.com/the-new-edition-story

FYI, this was just added to Hulu for those interested in watching it.

It's fantastic and a very worthy watch as I said in Post #1. Probably one of the best and thorough music bio movies.