Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

John Wetton (Aisa) Dead at 67

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Asia frontman John Wetton died Tuesday morning in his sleep after battling cancer ... according to the band.

Wetton was a fixture in the '70s and '80s British rock scene, playing with bands like King Crimson, Roxy Music, and Uriah Heep -- but his biggest popularity came when he formed the supergroup, Asia, in 1981. The group is best known for its huge hits "Heat of the Moment" and "Only Time Will Tell."

Wetton eventually left the group and worked on solo projects, but later returned for some of their final albums. He was 67.
I could have sworn I heard something about touring. Wasn't a huge fan but I never changed the station if any of their songs were playing on the radio.
Old 01-31-17, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Re: John Wetton (Aisa) Dead at 67

Damn. I'm seeing Asia in a April and just saw the note a few weeks ago that he was pulling out of the tour. It didn't sound good at the time, but I didn't realize it was that bleak.

Old 01-31-17, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

OK, so I did hear something. Really is horrible to constantly hear of cancer taking lives.
Old 01-31-17, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Too bad. I'm a pretty big fan of Asia.
Old 01-31-17, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a huge Asia fan right form the beginning. Was really bummed when the original lineup broke up and then ecstatic when they got back together. Wetton was the guy I wasn't aware of since I wasn't a King Crimson fan at that time. RIP John.
Old 01-31-17, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He played on "Red", arguably King Crimson's best album. Bummer.
Old 01-31-17, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of Asia's recent albums were among their best (Omega (2010), Phoenix (2008), XXX (2012)), while I found Silent Nation (2004) and Gravitas (2014), their last album, to be their two worst.
Old 01-31-17, 09:12 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I'm a King Crimson and Asia fan, John Wetton's voice was always unmistakeable. Sad that he's gone, and it's a sad day for the world of music.
Old 01-31-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Some of Asia's recent albums were among their best (Omega (2010), Phoenix (2008), XXX (2012)), while I found Silent Nation (2004) and Gravitas (2014), their last album, to be their two worst.
I put anything without the original four members in another category. There were some good songs with Payne, but the albums themselves were mediocre.

I was looking into Wetton's discography today and discovered I never knew he did three albums with just him and Downes (Icon 1-3). Ill be checking those out.
Old 02-02-17, 06:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Thanks, Norm. I had no idea that they had done anything in recent decades.

Not a huge fan...a little too slick & poppy ("Heat of the Moment"-era was sort of guilty pleasure...kind of like later-era, "Lonely-Heart"-era Yes or Hager-era Van Halen). But I bought their first three albums & still spin the greatest hits collection(s?) from time to time.

I'll have to check out the albums you recommend to see if my opinion has changed.

(Edit: Just now sampled the first half of "Phoenix" on Youtube. Not bad at all. I think they're one of those bands like S.Perry-led Journey or .38 Special or other more pop or pop-rock groups that I can enjoy when in the right mood. Like Rick Wakeman's solo projects.

And those albums covers sure are purty!)

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-02-17 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-02-17, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Thanks, Norm. I had no idea that they had done anything in recent decades.

Not a huge fan...a little too slick & poppy ("Heat of the Moment"-era was sort of guilty pleasure...kind of like later-era, "Lonely-Heart"-era Yes or Hager-era Van Halen). But I bought their first three albums & still spin the greatest hits collection(s?) from time to time.

I'll have to check out the albums you recommend to see if my opinion has changed.

(Edit: Just now sampled the first half of "Phoenix" on Youtube. Not bad at all. I think they're one of those bands like S.Perry-led Journey or .38 Special or other more pop or pop-rock groups that I can enjoy when in the right mood. Like Rick Wakeman's solo projects.

And those albums covers sure are purty!)
Asia is a love-it-or-hate-it band. Having said that, I'm not a devotee, just a fan. I think many folks consider Asia's music the ultimate in cynical corporate selloutism. I don't know about all that; I just like some of their music. I can understand why you say their music is too slick, but I'm just fond of the sound. I love "Heat of the Moment", by the way (a masterpiece), but I don't listen to the radio, and I'm certain it has been overexposed on that medium over the years.
My favourite song of their recent albums is "Holy War" from Omega. The guitar crescendos throughout the song are simply exquisite.
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yVQetuDX56s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
"Bury Me in Willow" from XXX is also a nice tune, if a bit slathered in schmaltz.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jU9G4axvc7w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>