Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

This history of the band Chicago, CNN, Jan 1, 8PM

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-30-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

CNN is airing a movie about the band Chicago Sunday, Jan 1.
http://www.cnn.com/shows/history-of-chicago

Premieres Sunday, January 1, at 8 p.m. ET

From their Windy City roots through their rise to the top of the charts, Chicago's success is legendary. Find out how this "rock and roll band with horns" became one of the best-selling groups of all time in CNN Films "Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago" New Year's Day at 8p ET on CNN.
Old 12-30-16, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: This history of the band Chicago, CNN, Jan 1, 8PM

I'm probably the only one who prefers the group's ballad era.
Old 12-30-16, 10:05 PM

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I really dig Chicago but I don't have cable so I'll have to hope this ends up on the CNN website for free or Netflix.
Old 12-31-16, 07:55 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking forward to this (only for the Terry Kath era). I think I'll spin the 1975 Greatest Hits album to get ready.
Old 01-14-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I just finished watching this today.

Very well made documentary. Some good interviews and history about the group.

A few thoughts:

Once again Peter Cetera chose to not participate in anything Chicago related. He is sounding more and more like a dick. Seems like his fellow bandmates weren't really fans of him either.

Bill Champlin also chose to not participate. He only left 7 years ago. Apparently he doesn't really have any nice parting words about the band he spent 30 years with. Jimmy Pankow made a comment in the film that Champlin thought the group was all about him....and Pankow said okay then, you can leave.

The group apparently wasn't really a fan of the David Foster produced era during the mid-80's. But, they had no choice because they were in decline and their previous label dumped them. The David Foster era saved them, but also really inflated Peter Cetera's ego since he became the focus of the group. I did like hearing from Foster.

Danny Seraphine, the former drummer, apparently was fired because his drumming was really in decline and hurting their performances. He chose to participate in the film. He was disappointed for being fired, but it sounds like he appreciated his time with the group. Sounds like he's no longer friends or in contact with anyone in the band. It sounded like a bitter firing.

The film is available on CNN on demand. So if you forgot to record it on New Year's Day, it's still available for those who have cable/satellite.

It's a really good watch.

For those who don't have cable. I would probably expect this to be on Netflix by mid to late Spring. Maybe early Summer. Seems like most of CNN's content makes it's way there.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-14-17 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-15-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

I watched it and thought some of the re-enactment scenes were kind of cheesy. Apparently, the movie was directed by a nephew of one of the band members, not by anyone from CNN. It could essentially just be a Chicago infomercial. More info from the link.
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/danny...n-documentary/
Old 01-16-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

The band can hate Cetera all they like, but there's a real good chance no one would even care to book or see their band now if it wasn't for the success they enjoyed in large part due to Cetera's vocals and songs.

I liked all their material and singers in the classic lineup but you can't deny Cetera is the reason they had #1 hits. Also, they complain about him bringing in the soft rock stuff, and yet they continued on that path after his departure.

It sounds like the "leaders" in the band like Pankow didn't like having a focal point in the band like Cetera or later Champlin, hence the type of comment Pankow made about Champlin "ok you can go" with a tone that said to me here's another lead singer we'll just replace. It's their band and they can do what they want, but to try and downplay Cetera's importance to the band with their infomercial is dishonest at best.