Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-16, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: 2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees

A little pissed The Cars made the top 5 (5th position) on the Fan Vote, but they then took Joan and Tupac over them.

Whatever.
Old 12-21-16, 11:20 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

The Cars and Depeche Mode should have made it.

Oh well, Fuck the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fucks"
Old 12-21-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
A little pissed The Cars made the top 5 (5th position) on the Fan Vote, but they then took Joan and Tupac over them.

Whatever.
I'm personally good with Joan getting in if she was ever going to be considered worthy and inducted over time. But not getting The Cars in there sooner than later is crazy. Especially when the alternative is Tupac.

I find it crazy that there was an obvious push to get as many of the older, influential artists/bands in during the first few years and now they are inducting newer artists like Tupac over older, influential bands like The Cars.
Old 12-21-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Whatever.
Joan Baez should have been in years ago. She is one of the definitive artists of folk rock in the 20th Century. There are about a dozen rock bands from the Cars era(Cure,Depeche Mode,New Order,Joy Division,Styx etc) not in the HOF that are more worthy of inclusion.
Old 12-21-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Styx?
Old 12-21-16, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
Joan Baez should have been in years ago. She is one of the definitive artists of folk rock in the 20th Century. There are about a dozen rock bands from the Cars era(Cure,Depeche Mode,New Order,Joy Division,Styx etc) not in the HOF that are more worthy of inclusion.
Other than Styx, all those bands came shortly after the Cars, and I would argue (maybe other than DM & Cure), the Cars influenced many more bands and are more worthy of entry.

Strokes/Smashing Pumpkins/Nirvana/Killers and many more bands have cited the Cars as an influence.
Old 12-21-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Frankly, I'm surprised Joan Baez isn't already in. Seems like she should have gone in in the early days of the R&RHOF when they were inducting acts like The Beatles, Stones, Who, and Dylan.
Old 12-21-16, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like The Cars and would support them getting in, but I do not think they are a no-brainer. There body of work was uneven, they didn't last very long, and they were not considered a great live band really, were they?

2 stone cold classic albums, though.
Old 12-21-16, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
2 stone cold classic albums, though.
I would go with 3 (The Cars, Candy-O, and Heartbeat City). Sadly they started drifting apart and then Ben died. But plenty of other inducted bands had even less output.

And Styx? You bet. Like Journey it doesn't matter if people don't like their style of music anymore than it matters is people agree with R&B, Disco and Rap artists being inducted. Hopefully Styx eventually makes it in, but there are so many other 60's and 70's rock acts that should get in first.
Old 12-21-16, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Having seen the Cars multiple times, I would say they are boring but great live. EE is a terrific underrated guitarist and Greg Hawkins is a great player too, they do just stand there and "go through the motions" outside of the two mentioned. But they were influential with their music videos as well. They had that advantage over all those bands. "You Might Think" was one of the first big CGI videos.
Old 12-21-16, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of The Cars videos were top notch. One of the bands that saw the benefit and really took it seriously. You could tell people were watching because how else would they go on about the fugly rocker that was married to the SI swimsuit model.
Old 12-22-16, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
The big question will be will Steve Perry perform with Journey?
Maybe Steve Perry and Jon Anderson can just have their own awards show. With blackjack, and hookers...
Old 12-22-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Come to think of it, how many guys will be up there to represent Yes? Bruford? Sherwood? Kay? Downes? Horn? Rabin? I would think Anderson, Wakeman, White, and Howe are a lock.
Old 12-22-16, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I like The Cars and would support them getting in, but I do not think they are a no-brainer. There body of work was uneven, they didn't last very long, and they were not considered a great live band really, were they?

Their only good stuff is those first 2 albums I agree. They were fine live. Watch the Musikladen video of them; the drummer is very sick and you'd never even know. I think as far as "new wave" bands, XTC has a way better body of work but they would never get in I imagine.
Old 12-22-16, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The difference between the Cars and all the bands mentioned in the same posts, was the Cars weren't just "new wave". Bands like DM, Cure, XTC, New Order, Joy, even Styx, appealed to only a certain type of fan. (Mostly KROQ type listeners outside of Styx)...The Cars were very successful at a cross-over type career. Appealing to not only new wavers, but more classic rock fans as well. Obviously I am a Cars fan, and I would argue that their first five were all classics. Panorama is a much misunderstood album (it's the "darkest" of their discography) but Shake It Up and Heartbeat City are both great albums as well. (I will admit the first two are by far my favorites)
Old 12-22-16, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was talking about the first one and Heartbeat City as the 2 classics. Candy-O is a step down for me.
Old 12-23-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Come to think of it, how many guys will be up there to represent Yes? Bruford? Sherwood? Kay? Downes? Horn? Rabin? I would think Anderson, Wakeman, White, and Howe are a lock.
Wakeman has already said he has no interest in attending.
Old 12-23-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
Wakeman has already said he has no interest in attending.
Wow. OK. Really sad this didn't happen a few years ago when the core of the group was getting along and playing on a regular basis.
Old 12-23-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. OK. Really sad this didn't happen a few years ago when the core of the group was getting along and playing on a regular basis.
He just toured with Anderson and Rabin. I guess he beef is with Steve Howe?

I think people like Wakeman, Steve Perry, Ritchie Blackmore, etc. owe it not only to the fans who put them there in the first place, but the rest of the group to attend these types of things. Just because he is a grumpy old fart doesn't mean the rest of the band wouldn't want to see him there.
Old 12-23-16, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see how the founders of hip-hop didn't go in before any of the rappers. Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel...and Herc ain't long for this world.
Old 12-25-16, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu
I don't see how the founders of hip-hop didn't go in before any of the rappers. Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel...and Herc ain't long for this world.
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five (including Melle Mel) was inducted in 2007. I'm pretty sure that was the first rap act to be inducted.
Old 12-27-16, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

They'll need a separate stage for all of Wakeman's keyboards....he a Keith Emerson were the Best of the Best in their heyday....

...but Yes had an outstanding lineup no matter what year or album...just won't be the same with "The Bass Player".....Chris Squire not there....

.....but Tupac over The Cars.....what are comparing here?....well, that's why so many have a low opinion of the R&RHoF.....just might as well call it the "Rock & Rap" HoF

Last edited by K&AJones; 12-27-16 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-27-16, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

According to their site, those inducted will be: Jon Anderson, Bill Bruford, Steve Howe, Tony Kaye, Trevor Rabin, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman and Alan White. We'll see how many of them show up (obviously Squire cannot).
Old 12-28-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Whatever.
The fan vote only counts as one vote.

ie: Thousands of people are voting to decide how one ballot is cast. All of the fans across the country collectively have the same power as one voting executive.
Old 12-28-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
According to their site, those inducted will be: Jon Anderson, Bill Bruford, Steve Howe, Tony Kaye, Trevor Rabin, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman and Alan White. We'll see how many of them show up (obviously Squire cannot).
Basically the "Union" lineup, which sadly will mean some will be no shows simply because others are planning on going.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.