Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for literature

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-13-16, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,433 Likes on 913 Posts

(CNN) — The 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature has been awarded to American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan, for "having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition."

The Swedish Academy's permanent secretary, Sara Danius, said Dylan, 75, "is a great poet in the English-speaking tradition." She drew parallels between his work and that of ancient Greek poets.

"If you look back, far back, 2,500 years or so, you discover Homer and Sappho and they wrote poetic texts that were meant to be listened to, that were meant to be performed, often with instruments -- and it's the same way with Bob Dylan," she said.

Although Dylan is not in the established canon of literary writers, Danius praised his creative output over five decades, including his constant reinvention of himself. She also described him as "a wonderful sampler, a very original sampler."

Asked where those unfamiliar with Dylan's work should start, Danius -- a professor in literature at Stockholm University-- recommended his 1966 album "Blonde on Blonde," saying it contained "many examples of his brilliant way of rhyming and putting together refrains and his pictorial thinking."

'Strikingly versatile' artist

The award will certainly be a surprise for some. An article published in the New Republic October 6 was headlined: "Who Will Win the 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature? Not Bob Dylan, that's for sure."

At that point, Dylan was given odds of 50/1 by bookmaker Ladbrokes to win the prize.

Bookmakers' favorites for 2016 included Japanese author Haruki Murakami, American novelist Philip Roth and Kenyan writer Ngugi wa Thiong'o but the actual list of nominees will be kept secret for 50 years.

Perhaps seeking to forestall criticism, the Nobel Committee said in a statement that Dylan had "recorded a large number of albums revolving around topics like the social conditions of man, religion, politics and love" and that his words have repeatedly been republished.

"As an artist, he is strikingly versatile; he has been active as painter, actor and scriptwriter," it added.

'Profound impact on popular music'

Dylan's award will be welcomed by legions of fans around the world.

One, Robyn Hitchcock, tweeted: "He launched me and many others on oceans of which we'd never dreamed..."

Dylan was born Robert Allen Zimmerman in Duluth, Minnesota, in 1941, and released his first album, "Bob Dylan," in 1962. That eponymous album consisted mostly of cover versions of old folk songs.

His second album, 1963's "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan," contained original songs he had written, such as "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" and "Blowin' in the Wind." Dozens more albums were to follow.

Since those early days, he's collected 10 Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year; one Golden Globe and one Academy Award.

In 2008, Dylan won a Pulitzer Prize special citation for "his profound impact on popular music and American culture, marked by lyrical compositions of extraordinary poetic power."

US President Barack Obama presented him with the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2012, the nation's highest civilian honor. At that time, Obama said, "I remember, you know, in college, listening to Bob Dylan and my world opening up, 'cause he captured something about this country that was so vital."

With Thursday's announcement, Dylan also becomes the 108th winner of the most prestigious literature award in the world.

He's the first American to be awarded the accolade since author Toni Morrison in 1993.
I have a lot of Dylan albums, but I'm not sure it's appropriate. It seems like one of those political gestures to please the American middle class.
Old 10-13-16, 09:41 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for literature

I think it's great. I doubt that the Nobel committee cares about pleasing the American middle class.
Old 10-13-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

The funny thing is that he would have won it a long time ago if he was intelligible!
Old 10-13-16, 09:46 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

“Don't criticize what you can't understand.” - Bob Dylan

Old 10-13-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Is there a reason the literature prize can be given for a body of work, whereas the other prizes are for specific contributions?
Old 10-13-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Is there a reason the literature prize can be given for a body of work, whereas the other prizes are for specific contributions?
I think it's kind of self-explanatory : Scientists can spend decades on a single project or invention or concept -- it could be their life's work, while writers write stuff. You want to recognize the pinnacle of Literature; it should be for a body or work, not for a really great book or poem (though you could argue that Harper Lee or JD Salinger were both worthy based on a single work).
Old 10-13-16, 06:41 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The Pulitzer is given to a single work. Why is the Nobel different? I love Dylan, but I think this is a lame award. It should go to an actual writer, not a song writer.
Old 10-13-16, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

How is what Dylan does any different from poetry? He is a magnificent modern-day poet.
There has been a push to get him to win this award for years. I am very glad they gave it to him while they still could (the Nobel Prize cannot be given posthumously).
Old 10-13-16, 08:05 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
How is what Dylan does any different from poetry? He is a magnificent modern-day poet.
Totally agree. The singing is a bonus (or not, to some people)
Old 10-13-16, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
There has been a push to get him to win this award for years. I am very glad they gave it to him while they still could (the Nobel Prize cannot be given posthumously).
I was just thinking a similar thought. It seems that with so many artists (Bowie, Prince), we only celebrate them after they are gone. I'm glad to see Bob get such a prestigious award while he is still with us. Well deserved.
Old 10-13-16, 10:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
The Pulitzer is given to a single work. Why is the Nobel different? I love Dylan, but I think this is a lame award. It should go to an actual writer, not a song writer.
I'm confused. Are you arguing that songwriting is not "actual writing". Is Dylan not writing when he makes songs?
Old 10-14-16, 12:37 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm confused. Are you arguing that songwriting is not "actual writing". Is Dylan not writing when he makes songs?
I don't know. It's the Nobel Prize for Literature. Is what Bob Dylan writes literature? I wouldn't consider it literature. It's poetry. Has the prize for Literature ever been awarded to for someone who only wrote poetry?
Old 10-14-16, 01:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Poetry is part of literature.

Oh, and several poets have won the Nobel, beginning with the first winner.
Old 10-14-16, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Knew a guy who memorized all the words to "Motorpsycho Nitemare". We'd be sitting around stoned at 2-3am and somebody would always say, "Hey dude. Do Motorpsycho Nightmare". He'd recite the whole thing like telling a story in rhyme.
Old 10-14-16, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Hey, why not? His body of work, while not literature in the traditional sense, is vast and vastly impressive as poetry.
Old 10-14-16, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,433 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Knew a guy who memorized all the words to "Motorpsycho Nitemare". We'd be sitting around stoned at 2-3am and somebody would always say, "Hey dude. Do Motorpsycho Nightmare". He'd recite the whole thing like telling a story in rhyme.
I saw someone around the campfire at Telluride Bluegrass Festival play Desolation Row. I was the only one there who wasn't a musician. Everyone else was terribly impressed, so it must have been harder than it sounded to me.
Old 10-14-16, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Dylan's excitement after winning.

Old 10-14-16, 07:27 PM
Banned by request

I don't know. It's the Nobel Prize for Literature. Is what Bob Dylan writes literature? I wouldn't consider it literature. It's poetry. Has the prize for Literature ever been awarded to for someone who only wrote poetry?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Nobel+Prize+Winners+for+Literature

The short answer is yes, poets have won the Nobel Prize many times in the history of the award.
Old 10-14-16, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they've awarded this title to poets in the past, then I'm fine with it.

As a songwriter myself though, I think in some ways this is sort of shortchanging Dylan. Writing the words is one thing, and an admirable talent-- but fitting those words to catchy melodies and chord progressions and well-crafted songs is a WHOLE other skill set--one that I'm quite sure most other winners of this prize would not be capable of.
Old 10-15-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Nobel+Prize+Winners+for+Literature

The short answer is yes, poets have won the Nobel Prize many times in the history of the award.
Not only that, but so have playwrights. If Harold Pinter can win for a body of work that's meant to be performed by actors, why shouldn't Dylan for works meant to be sung?
Old 10-15-16, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
As a songwriter myself though, I think in some ways this is sort of shortchanging Dylan. Writing the words is one thing, and an admirable talent-- but fitting those words to catchy melodies and chord progressions and well-crafted songs is a WHOLE other skill set--one that I'm quite sure most other winners of this prize would not be capable of.
Sure, but who's going to refuse a Nobel prize?
Old 10-15-16, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

If any musician was going to win a Nobel Prize, Dylan deserved it. Probably the most singularly important songwriter in music history, spanning decades since the early 1960s.
Old 10-17-16, 07:21 PM
Banned by request

By the way, poetry is literature. Are you from a country where only prose exists or something?
Old 10-19-16, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If it's not on offer from the Reader's Digest Book Club, it's not literature!
Old 10-19-16, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a huge Dylan fan, and while I'm sure that Dylan would have made it just fine without the Nobel Prize, I think it's a little silly that a lot of people are upset with him winning it. Had it been an obscure writer that no one had ever heard of, it would have went under the radar and no one would have cared.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.