Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

METALLICA: "HARDWIRED…TO SELF-DESTRUCT" 2CD/3CD Deluxe 11/18/16

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

METALLICA: "HARDWIRED…TO SELF-DESTRUCT" 2CD/3CD Deluxe 11/18/16

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: METALLICA: "HARDWIRED…TO SELF-DESTRUCT" 2CD/3CD Deluxe 11/18/16

Agreed. I'm sure those demos will surface again down the line, maybe in a cash grab deluxe edition.
Old 09-19-16, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Already seems like a bit of a cash grab to me to put Lords of Summer on the bonus CD. Is it not good enough to be part of the album proper? (I've never heard it).
Old 09-19-16, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

As I understand it, Lords of Summer was completed years before the writing for the new album was started.
Old 09-19-16, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's only a couple years old from what I recall.
Old 09-19-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Lords of Summer was sold as a single in 2014.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lords_of_Summer
Old 09-19-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right but this is the "final" version of it as I read it somewhere else. It just seems to me like this song was finished during the sessions for the new record so why not include it in the album proper?

I also seem to recall it being touted as one of the first songs they were writing for their new album back then but I don't have a source for that right now.
Old 09-19-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

CD

DELUXE CD

VINYL

DELUXE BOX SET
Old 09-19-16, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

alleged track times

CD 1:
1. Hardwired 3:09
2. Atlas, Rise! 06:28
3. Now That We're Dead 06:59
4. Moth Into Flame 05:50
5. Dream No More 06:29
6. Halo On Fire 08:15

CD 2:
1. Confusion 06:43
2. ManUNkind 06:55
3. Here Comes Revenge 7:17
4. Am I Savage? 06:30
5. Murder One 05:45
6. Spit Out The Bone 07:09

CD 3:
1. Lords Of Summer 07:10
2. Ronnie Rising Medley (feat. A Light In The Black, Tarot Woman, Stargazer & Kill The King) 09:03
3. When A Blind Man Cries 04:35
4. Remember Tomorrow 05:50
5. Helpless (Live) 03:08
6. Hit The Lights (Live) 4:07
7. The Four Horsemen (Live) 5:19
8. Ride The Lightning (Live) 6:56
9. Fade To Black (Live) 7:24
10. Jump In The Fire (Live) 5:13
11.. For Whom The Bell Tolls (Live) 4:32
12. Creeping Death (Live) 6:43
13. Metal Militia (Live) 6:07
14. Hardwired (Live) 03:30

http://www.nuclearblast.de/de/produk...-destruct.html
Old 09-20-16, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

at the cash grab covers. Well played, Lars.
Old 09-20-16, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but each of the "special" covers are worse than the standard CD cover. I'll be getting the standard CD and relying on other options for the deluxe tracks. Especially since the majority are just live tracks and I'm not really into live albums.
Old 09-20-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

All of those covers are awful.
Old 09-20-16, 12:20 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

If I had to describe those covers, I would reiterate what my four-year-old said yesterday: that "they are so fucked. They are shit outta luck.*

*My four-year-old just learned swear words.
Old 09-20-16, 09:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
No they won't but it's not for the reason you described. I think Metallica died along with Cliff Burton on that road in Sweden. No artist survives a trauma like that unchanged. I know it's an odd comparison, but look at how Gloria Estefan changed following her near-fatal bus accident. No more tight clothes and songs like "Bad Boys," she wore evening gowns and sang in Spanish.

I also remember how significantly Bloom County changed after Breathed's 1987 near-fatal ultra-light plane crash. All the manic energy left the strip.

Even Rush changed following the deaths of Neil's wife and daughter. His lyrics became more personal, and more angry in places. It had none of the detachment of prior albums.

And aside from the trauma of Cliff dying (and James finding his body), the band was given zero time to deal with it. They got no grief counseling. They were ordered to start auditions to replace Cliff the day after his funeral. Newstead has talked about the foul mood the band was in and how cold they were to people auditioning. Six week's after Cliff's death, Newstead was in and they were back on the road. Six weeks after Cliff's death they should have been getting therapy.

I'll always be a little sympathetic to Metallica for the loss and the callous way their label and management treated them. to me, a lot of the dysfunction we saw in SKoM was all that untreated trauma coming to a boiling point.

Metallica didn't lose it the most, anyway. In Flames went downhill far worse and their fans are way more upset.
Cliff's death had an impact on them, but I think the runaway success of the black album had a much bigger negative effect on them. The reason they were so good through the black album is because they were chasing a goal, and when they became the biggest band in the world they had no goals left to chase. Load and Reload were clearly the works of a band content to rest on their laurels, and everything since then have been vain attempts to recapture the hunger they clearly no longer have.

I agree with Chad that they outgrew metal. They should probably be making country songs or something now. Go where their muse takes them instead of what they think will make them the most money. Hell, if they did go country they'd probably win a whole new audience who spend much more than metal fans do.

But once you hit a certain level of popularity it's tough to break out of the preconceived notions of your fans. A lot of artists suffer from too much success.

Honestly, Load and Reload were so bad I don't know why I bothered listening to St. Anger, which was the last straw for me. I heard that Death Magnetic was decent but is brickwalled and crushed to hell so I'm skipping it, and this one sounds like it's also uninspired and poorly produced.

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-20-16 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-21-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet

I agree with Chad that they outgrew metal. They should probably be making country songs or something now. Go where their muse takes them instead of what they think will make them the most money. Hell, if they did go country they'd probably win a whole new audience who spend much more than metal fans do.

But once you hit a certain level of popularity it's tough to break out of the preconceived notions of your fans. A lot of artists suffer from too much success.

Honestly, Load and Reload were so bad I don't know why I bothered listening to St. Anger, which was the last straw for me. I heard that Death Magnetic was decent but is brickwalled and crushed to hell so I'm skipping it, and this one sounds like it's also uninspired and poorly produced.
HATER!!!!1!!!!!!

I agree with everything.
Old 09-21-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not new. There are many that believe Bob Rock ruined/killed Metallica. Got to love music fans. Band enjoys tons of success, gains an exponential number of fans, and smaller numbers claim the band was ruined.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-21-16 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-21-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think Bob Rock "ruined" Metallica. Any damage Metallica has received has been self-inflicted. They hired him to produce. They chose and agreed with the direction. Rock made the band sonically sound as good as they ever could.

I'd love to know how many Metallica apologists got into the band on the black album or later. I wasn't with them since the beginning but I got into them just as Justice came out and devoured their back catalog. There was passion and fire in it. They seemed hungry and pissed off - that's what made them so good.

Suprmallet's point is spot-on regarding becoming the biggest band in the world. Where do you go from there? How do you stay hungry when you've just gorged on success? I just want them to take chances again and do something interesting. To that end, I applaud what they tried with St. Anger and Lulu. But Death Magnetic and what we've heard so far of Hardwired just sound like treading water. I am interested to hear the new album and I will pay do to so.
Old 09-21-16, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Rock made the band sonically sound as good as they ever could.
I agree. Where I part ways with them is when people claim there was more to it than that. Far more polished, but for me the claims of other major changes are over exaggerated. Personally I just acknowledge to myself that they sound different, including another (worse) sound on St. Anger/the Magnetics, and enjoy them as different albums

In anticipation of the new album I recently played the first 4 CD's, and the two Load CD's, back to back. Love them all.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-21-16 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-21-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I don't think Bob Rock "ruined" Metallica. Any damage Metallica has received has been self-inflicted. They hired him to produce. They chose and agreed with the direction. Rock made the band sonically sound as good as they ever could.

I'd love to know how many Metallica apologists got into the band on the black album or later. I wasn't with them since the beginning but I got into them just as Justice came out and devoured their back catalog. There was passion and fire in it. They seemed hungry and pissed off - that's what made them so good.

Suprmallet's point is spot-on regarding becoming the biggest band in the world. Where do you go from there? How do you stay hungry when you've just gorged on success? I just want them to take chances again and do something interesting. To that end, I applaud what they tried with St. Anger and Lulu. But Death Magnetic and what we've heard so far of Hardwired just sound like treading water. I am interested to hear the new album and I will pay do to so.

I got into them on Load.
Old 09-21-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I got into them on Load.
That's where they lost me. As much I was not happy at the time about where they went with the black album, I was able to appreciate how good it was taken on its own.

I liked "Until It Sleeps" when I heard it. But when I heard the record and it started with "Ain't My Bitch", I knew it was going to be bad.

Load (and Reload) remind me of GN'R's Use Your Illusion releases. In both cases it seems there was no filter and bands released way too much material. Maybe 20-30% of these releases were good. Somewhere hiding in these overdone releases there might be a decent 8-10 song album.
Old 09-21-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I liked Load and Reload quite a bit. They weren't what I would call good Metallica albums, but from a bluesy hard rock standpoint, I felt they succeeded. Agreed with Bunkaroo that being a double album probably hurt it more than helped. I think this style would be a good fit for them as they age, assuming it's something they want to do.
Old 09-21-16, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Load (and Reload) remind me of GN'R's Use Your Illusion releases. In both cases it seems there was no filter and bands released way too much material. Maybe 20-30% of these releases were good. Somewhere hiding in these overdone releases there might be a decent 8-10 song album.
I've seen this quite a bit in the past. Interesting thing is just how many people totally differ on at least half of what should make a cut down single album in each example.

If you have ever seen the official GNR UYI example where they did just that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_Your_Illusion

I wouldn't have included over half of the tracks that were chosen.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-21-16 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-21-16, 02:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Not new. There are many that believe Bob Rock ruined/killed Metallica. Got to love music fans. Band enjoys tons of success, gains an exponential number of fans, and smaller numbers claim the band was ruined.
Bob Rock didn't ruin Metallica. Hetfield and Ulrich ruined Metallica. But they also made Metallica, so what can you do?
Old 09-21-16, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I've seen this quite a bit in the past. Interesting thing is just how many people totally differ on least half of what should make a cut down single album in each example.

If you have ever seen the official GNR UYI example where they did just that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_Your_Illusion

I wouldn't have included over half of the tracks that were chosen.
Wow - that's almost exactly what I would pick for that record. I'd nix the alternate "Don't Cry" and the insufferable "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" and maybe get "Coma" in there (which needs some editing). I need to go ahead and just make my own playlist. I just listed to the whole thing for the first time in forever and there's just so much filler there.
Old 09-22-16, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why Kirk Hammett didn’t write much for new Metallica album

When Kirk Hammett lost his phone containing hundreds of song ideas he also lost the chance to contribute much to Metallica’s upcoming album, he’s revealed.

The guitarist had recorded more than 250 riffs onto the handset before it went missing in 2014, but he’d never backed them up.

And it meant he wasn’t able to bring those ideas to the table as the band wrote Hardwired… To Self-Destruct, which will be released in November.

Hammett tells KISW 99.9: “It was devastating for me. I had to start at zero again while everyone else had material for songs.

“By the time I got a few ideas flowing and formed, most of the songs were already written.”

He forced himself to look on the bright side: “I had to think, ‘Okay, I have stuff – but it looks like it’s going to make it onto the next album.”

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-09-22/...etallica-album
Old 09-22-16, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Twelve years is a long time to keep from losing a second phone full of riffs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.