Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

METALLICA: "HARDWIRED…TO SELF-DESTRUCT" 2CD/3CD Deluxe 11/18/16

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

METALLICA: "HARDWIRED…TO SELF-DESTRUCT" 2CD/3CD Deluxe 11/18/16

Old 10-27-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: METALLICA: "HARDWIRED…TO SELF-DESTRUCT" 2CD/3CD Deluxe 11/18/16

I only see one encore, where they played four songs.
Old 10-27-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I only see one encore, where they played four songs.
Maybe I didn't make it obvious enough but my point was about having that many songs as an encore.
Old 10-27-16, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 543 Likes on 338 Posts

Most artists don't play new stuff before the album is released. I really like both songs and can't wait to hear the rest.
Old 10-27-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I can count on one hand the number of arena/stadium shows I have seen with a true, unplanned encore. Over the years it became the norm for the band to play 4-5 songs during these planned returns to the stage.
Old 10-27-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 543 Likes on 338 Posts

Pearl Jam play for three hours, do a thirty five minute encore and then come out for another fourty minutes.
Old 10-27-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I think I can count on one hand the number of arena/stadium shows I have seen with a true, unplanned encore. Over the years it became the norm for the band to play 4-5 songs during these planned returns to the stage.
Yeah that's why it seems so trite to me to call it an encore. Just call it a break in the set.
Old 10-27-16, 01:36 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

First time I ever saw a second and third encore was at a Metallica show in 1989. I think the lights even came out after the second encore and people started out at the exits. Then Metallica came back and played one last song.
Old 10-27-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Mods can ya add reporting stupid/idiotic/ignorant comments?
Old 10-27-16, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ATLAS, RISE!

https://metallica.com/atlasrise
Old 10-28-16, 08:49 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Hmm. I like that clip, too. There is hope yet. Production issues aside, I did really like Death Magnetic. I know many don't.
Old 10-28-16, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Obviously can't judge the song by 20 seconds, but not real impressed by what is there so far. Basically that's potentially 1 out of 3 songs so far that sound good to me (Moth To Flame).
Old 10-28-16, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

lucky Cabrones got to listen to album last night in MEXICO.
Old 10-31-16, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 10-31-16, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Now that YouTube is the world's biggest television station, we figured we may as well knock a video out for every song (on the new album)," he reveals.

The band have been filming the remaining videos for their 10th studio album in between promotions and touring.

Ulrich describes getting the videos done as a "giant undertaking".

He says: "The practicality of shooting 12 music videos is kind of crazy, especially when you're trying to promote your record, and you're all over the place, and trying to make sure it doesn't leak. It's crazy but, at the same time, fun."

taken from http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyl...a-shakes-it-up
Old 10-31-16, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
Metallica in new Guitar World!!
"Surprised no one has mentioned this, but Metallica is on the cover of the new Guitar World and the article inside has some pretty cool insights about HTSD. Seems like GW was one of the publications at the NY listening party in September.

Some highlights:
  • lyric snippet from the Chtulu song: "as the world dies screaming"
  • Hetfield on Atlas Rise: t's about losing perspective. Sounds like the song is about Internet warriors and desktop activists more concerned with "saving a red-legged frog from extinction than taking care of someone in your own family."
  • Hetfield on Here Comes Revenge: the song is about revenge with the Cain and Abel story from the bible as a "handy metaphor."
  • Hetfield on Man(Un)Kind: is about starting over, referencing Adam and Eve. "In the song I'm asking, do you have enough? are you ok with what you have?"
  • Moth was inspired by the Amy Winehouse documentary.
  • Spit out the bone is described as being one of their "fiercest" songs.
  • Hatfield addresses tuning: Playing in standard tuning gives the album a more youthful and urgent feel. Dropping live is easier on vocals.
  • Kirk: a lot of jazz/blues influences like John McLaughlin and Buddy Guy. He came into this album with nothing mapped out and wanted to capture the spontaneity of the moment."

taken from MET FORUM
Old 10-31-16, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

lol what a terrible magazine cover. James looks like he's constipated trying as hard as he can to shoot out a turd, and Kirk looks like his picture was taken the exact moment he found out he lost all 8 years worth of riffs for the new album, he looks like he's about to cry.
Old 10-31-16, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
And your comment strikes me as the overly defensive, tired old, "but it's Metallica so its awesome" spew nonsense that diehard, myopic fans of classic bands spit out time and time again.

Bunkaroo hit the nail on the head. The album, which I've heard, is not good. Neither was DM. And unfortunately, Metallica has hit the point in their careers where people go to their shows to hear the classics.

I like Metallica, I think they are a good band and great musicians. When they perform, they are as tight as a drum head. They have an epic catalog.

It's okay to admit their recent stuff is not great. Really. Your pillow can take the tears.
I really liked Death Magnetic. St Anger was a decent album too, that was rendered completely unlistenable by a terrible experiment in a spare sounding production. There new stuff isn't great, but its also not as bad as you or anyone else make it out to be. To me its just a really solid "good". Death Magnetic isn't Master of Puppets, but then again what the fuck is? Metallica set the bar unbelievably high early in their career and now because they can't reach that level anymore people love saying everything they put out now is crap. Which just isn't true. Then again, what great artist does COMPLETELY recapture the greatness of the music from their heyday? Very few. No matter who you are or what band you're in, you have a prime and then decline at some point. This is true of everyone. It just happens that for whatever reason people like to dump on Metallica more for it.
Old 10-31-16, 05:56 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
what great artist does COMPLETELY recapture the greatness of the music from their heyday? Very few. No matter who you are or what band you're in, you have a prime and then decline at some point. This is true of everyone. It just happens that for whatever reason people like to dump on Metallica more for it.
Hmm..... Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Overkill, Kreator, Testament, Death Angel... those are off the top of my head.... although many of them hit the same valleys at some point in the late 90s, they've all recaptured what made them special in the 80s and are able to retain their signature sound with fresh new material since their peak, perhaps even their best material.

The recent Metallica output is missing so many elements of good metal music, the riffs, the drumming, the solos, etc. The new songs sound pretty good to me so far, but even Load and Reload had a couple good songs each, so hopefully the rest of Hardwired is good.
Old 10-31-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with some of the bands mentioned above, but not Slayer. Nothing they have done in the last 20+ years compares to their first 5 albums IMO.
Overkill do what Overkill do. Again, their first 4 albums are their best (IMO) but their new stuff is decent.
The new Megadeth, Anthrax and (especially) Death Angel are all superb. The new Testament is actually better than I had expected also.

For me, I think some of the problem with the new Metallica stuff (although I like it) is the production. Someone went back and re-recorded the two new singles with a "Justice" style production. Even though the bass is obviously lacking, the guitar sound is so much better. Again, opinions may vary.

http://www.metalinjection.net/av/her...for-all-tracks
Old 10-31-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Latest track from the new album ....

<iframe width="880" height="514" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JFAcOnhcpGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-31-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Diggin it like the others.
I will say this is Load and Re-Load all over again though. Death Magnetic and Death Magnetized.
I'll still listen though and if they decide to stop touring overseas for once and come back here, I'll go see a show to hear this stuff live.
Old 10-31-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of the optimism I had after hearing Moth Into Flame is gone again. Very bland track, too long, forgettable solo...I could go on but suffice it say, more of the same from these guys. Those who love them will love it I'm sure which is cool - more power to them. For me, I don't think I'll buy this after all. Hopefully I can hear it through some other legal means but otherwise, I don't feel I'll be missing much.
Old 10-31-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD
Hmm..... Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Overkill, Kreator, Testament, Death Angel... those are off the top of my head.... although many of them hit the same valleys at some point in the late 90s, they've all recaptured what made them special in the 80s and are able to retain their signature sound with fresh new material since their peak, perhaps even their best material.

The recent Metallica output is missing so many elements of good metal music, the riffs, the drumming, the solos, etc. The new songs sound pretty good to me so far, but even Load and Reload had a couple good songs each, so hopefully the rest of Hardwired is good.
Really good post here. I wound up listening to the latest Anthrax again this past week and really enjoyed it. It sounds modern and has an edge but still retains links to the past as well. Those guys still play with fire IMO. Overkill has been on a real roll this decade as well. I just got the new Testament - time to spin that one...
Old 10-31-16, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
lol what a terrible magazine cover. James looks like he's constipated trying as hard as he can to shoot out a turd
Looks he's the guest of honor in a bukkake video.
Old 10-31-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well at least there's an Opeth feature inside to balance out the other content.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.