Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

My theory on why MTV doesn't play music videos anymore

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

My theory on why MTV doesn't play music videos anymore

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: My theory on why MTV doesn't play music videos anymore

Originally Posted by Draven
Just thought I'd weigh in with the younger perspective. My daughter is 10 and spends hours in the basement watching music videos on YouTube with her friends. They can watch whatever they want, whenever they want, for as long as they want, as many times as they want. That will always be more appealing than putting MTV on and hoping they play the video you want to see.

I tell my friends who don't have kids that things are way different now. Between YouTube and Netflix, my daughter and my 12 year old son can always watch exactly what they want to watch. Neither one of them watches anything on traditional TV. I watched tons of shows every week on primetime and Saturdays growing up. They just watch whatever they want at all times instead on any of their devices.

And frankly, if that technology had been around when I was a kid I would have done the same thing.
Summed up quite nicely.
Old 07-28-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I know this question has almost become a cliche for the past 15 years, as everyone blames MTV for not playing videos anymore. I honestly think that music changed in the 90's and that was essentially the death of music videos.

When I was growing up in the heyday of MTV during the mid 80's, pop music ruled everything. And what I mean ruled is that every type of music in one way another co-opted pop. Whether it was hair bands like Whitesnake and Motley Crue, or classic rock groups from 70's like Bowie, Rolling Stones, and Bruce to pure pop sensations like Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince and Whitney Houston.

MTV could play all of this music 24 hours a day and still have a mass audience, as rap and heavy metal were just a niche group of fans. Then the early 90's came and other forms of music became popular: Grunge, Rap/HipHop, Country, and Pop.

So what should MTV play 24 hours a day to get a mass audience? Would Nirvana fans listen to Notorius BIG? Would Eminem fans listen to Britney Spears or N'Sync? How about Country Music artists became mainstream too?

My point is that in the 1980's, MTV could play Michael Jackson, Madonna, Rolling Stones, Prince, Duran Duran, etc, and most teenagers growing up liked or loved most of them. But once music became diverse in the 90's/00's, then there would never be a mass audience to watch videos anymore, hence the death of MTV.

Now of course YouTube, and other forms of listening to music changed MTV too, but the bottom line is that radio stations are still alive playing music, the only difference is they cater to one specific genre of music, where MTV can never survive doing that.
MTV was alive and well and at the top of it's game through the 90's into the early 2000's. MTV did very well when they were playing N*Sync followed by Eminem followed by Korn. It worked for them. They had that show, TRL, where they played all those videos in a 2 hour block. That show was huge back in the day and it's because it appealed to the entire teenage demo. I'd even venture to say that the late 90's was the height of MTV's popularity.

If you're going to say that Whitesnake and Michael Jackson both fall under the same "pop music" banner then so did Eminem, Britney Spears and Limp Bizkit.

I'd attribute the downfall of MTV more to the introduction of widespread high speed internet than changing music genres.
Old 07-28-16, 05:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My point is that these were all mainstream artists that pretty much appealed to anyone, so you could play these videos all day in 1985 and there was a market that watches them. If you go through the Top 40 these days, I guarantee most of it would not appeal to the masses other then a few songs.
But it didn't appeal to everyone in the 80s. My parents and many parents hated MTV music. They would prefer to listen to Elvis, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, etc. just like you now don't seem to like today's music. And it will keep going on and on like that. 30 years from now, the teenagers of today will wish they could go back to Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Drake, Adele, etc....
Old 07-28-16, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

I agree and sort of goes to my original post to start the thread. I was listening to the 80's Sirius Channel this weekend and they did the top 40 from July 13, 1985. Here were many of the artists and songs that were hits at that week:

-Duran Duran (A View to a Kill)
-Phil Collins (Sussudio)
-Bruce Springsteen (Glory Days)
-Huey Lewis & The News (The Power of Love)
-Tears For Fears (Everybody Wants to Rule the World)
-Billy Joel (You're Only Human)
-Whitney Houston (You give Good Love)
-Prince (Rasberry Beret)
-Survivor (The Search Is Over)
-Madonna (Angel)
-Eurythmics (Would I Lie To You)
-Til Tuesday (Voices Carry)
-Brian Adams (Heaven)
-Sting (If you Love Sombody Set Them Free)
-Howard Jones (Things Can Only Get Better)
-Heart (What About Love)
-Glen Frey (Smugglers Blues)
-Aretha Franklin (Freeway of Love)

My point is that these were all mainstream artists that pretty much appealed to anyone, so you could play these videos all day in 1985 and there was a market that watches them. If you go through the Top 40 these days, I guarantee most of it would not appeal to the masses other then a few songs.

When I see that list all I can think of list is besides Prince,Aretha and Madonna how did that milquetoast crap appeal to any young people or anyone but the whitest of whitebread people. Like it's hard for me to imagine anyone under 25 in any era being into Glen Fry or Bryan Adams.
Old 07-29-16, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Just thought I'd weigh in with the younger perspective. My daughter is 10 and spends hours in the basement watching music videos on YouTube with her friends. They can watch whatever they want, whenever they want, for as long as they want, as many times as they want. That will always be more appealing than putting MTV on and hoping they play the video you want to see.
Still doesn't excuse MTV for putting on crap instead of music videos. Watching MTV straight was how you got introduced to new songs and videos- if you're watching just what you want on YouTube, you're not as likely to check out something you never heard of before, though YouTube's auto-playing of similar videos afterwards might be helpful- I never tried that, but you'd likely eventually get stuck with some bootleg-quality upload of the same video you've just seen or one of those audio-only uploads that plays a song with a still picture of the album cover.
Old 07-29-16, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Still doesn't excuse MTV for putting on crap instead of music videos. Watching MTV straight was how you got introduced to new songs and videos- if you're watching just what you want on YouTube, you're not as likely to check out something you never heard of before, though YouTube's auto-playing of similar videos afterwards might be helpful- I never tried that, but you'd likely eventually get stuck with some bootleg-quality upload of the same video you've just seen or one of those audio-only uploads that plays a song with a still picture of the album cover.
Here's the thing Alan...they don't care about the quality of the video much. And they can always skip to the next one anyway.

We've been trying to give them a movie education on the "classics" my wife and I grew up with but these are people who've never not had the Internet and wi-fi at their beck and call. Their mentality is completely different when it comes to media.

I'm old enough that my daycare lady had an 8-track player. I'd record MTV for hours at a time just in the hopes that my favorite video would come on.

If I'd grown up with an iPad and Spotify, I wouldn't have spent a single moment waiting for MTV or the radio to play a song I wanted to hear. I would have just listened to it whenever I wanted.

That's so different from my experience that it's hard to even wrap my brain around it. I think about that when I watch my 80 year old father ask Siri a question.
Old 07-29-16, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Graduating High school in the late 90s outside of some stuff on 120 Minutes I can't think of a single band I have ever heard of thanks to MTV. The rock,rap or pop songs MTV played were basically whatever the rock,rap or top 40 station were playing. Basically the only way to find out about bands besides whoever was cherry picked by the record labels was Indy Record Magazines,recomendations from friends and the local stations on Sunday showcasing local bands. Nowadays there's a thousand different ways to discover new acts and explore unheard of genre's.
Old 07-29-16, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I think it's the old chicken and the egg theory. MTV says no one will watch music videos on TV anymore. People complain that networks like MTV and VH1 don't play music videos anymore. And around and around she goes.........
Old 07-29-16, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

I was under 25 and liked Glen Frey and Phill Collins.

Vh1 Classic is being rebranded MTV Classic on Aug 1. and will show a bunch of old shows.
VH1 has become a sister station of BET. All the shows now are mostly geared for black viewers like Basketball Wives, Love and Hip Hop, TI's show, and a show with Shaq's ex wife.

Maybe the only shows you can see white people on VH1 are repeats of SNL and Dating Naked.
Old 07-29-16, 10:53 AM

And apparently all the nudity on "Dating Naked" is blurred- what's the point of THAT? (Wondering if they'll ever start a cable channel for nudists? I might watch that- though they'd eventually turn that into all reruns of "Law and Order" anyways.)
Old 07-29-16, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

LOL

They should show it uncensored during the late hours.

Still can't believe the programming VH1 shows that replaced music videos.
Old 07-30-16, 03:28 AM

VH1 started out as a music video channel for "older" audiences too- leaning more towards what was played on "adult contemporary" format radio stations at the time, skipping the harder stuff that MTV played.
Old 07-30-16, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BDB
Vh1 Classic is being rebranded MTV Classic on Aug 1. and will show a bunch of old shows.

it will include some rare stuff that hasn't aired in ages like Aeon Flux and Clone High. They will also be including classic episodes of Unplugged, Yo! MTV Raps, 120 Minutes and Headbangers Ball.

The music video blocks are staying but under alternate names:
Metal Mania -> Headbangers
Rock Fest -> Rock Block
Totally 80's -> I Want My 80s
90s Rocked -> 90s Nation
Morning Video Block -> MTV Classic Videos
VH1 Classic 120 Minutes -> 120 Minutes

And they're adding the following blocks
YO! Hip Hop Mix (Classic Hip-Hop)
House Of Pop (Pop from the 80s-early 00s)
Total Request Playlist (late 90s-early 00s)

The channel is also relaunching on the 35th anniversary of MTV with the entire first hour of MTV as it aired back on August 1st 1981, complete with classic commercials and technical glitches.
I was just going through my DVR and looking at the upcoming schedule. Some good, some bad. Beavis and Butt-Head is part of the channel now, but it looks like they're starting with (and possibly only showing) the revived season from a few years ago and not the 90s episodes. Daria is also on the schedule.

Day 1 features an Unplugged marathon, anchored by Nirvana of course.

Nirvana
Erykah Badu
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Aerosmith
Oasis (Liam sits this show out if I recall, leaving all vocals to Noel)
The Cure
R.E.M. (1991 Performance)
Alice In Chains
Nirvana

Nirvana will also reair several more times through the first couple weeks.

They're also going to still air movies (Both Ghostbusters, Revenge Of The Nerds, Sixteen Candles, etc.)
Old 07-31-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Yeah, MTV should totally have ignored all the trends and stuck to what they do best, music videos. Stay the course, keep going with the original plan. You know, like Blockbuster video rental stores.
Old 07-31-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My point is that in the 1980's, MTV could play Michael Jackson, Madonna, Rolling Stones, Prince, Duran Duran, etc, and most teenagers growing up liked or loved most of them. But once music became diverse in the 90's/00's, then there would never be a mass audience to watch videos anymore, hence the death of MTV.
I was 18 when MTV began in the early 1980s. Even back then, the music was diverse: Joan Jett next to Duran Duran. Very different. Not sure what happened but I'm definitely not interested in the bullshit they promote now.
Old 08-01-16, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
Graduating High school in the late 90s outside of some stuff on 120 Minutes I can't think of a single band I have ever heard of thanks to MTV. The rock,rap or pop songs MTV played were basically whatever the rock,rap or top 40 station were playing. Basically the only way to find out about bands besides whoever was cherry picked by the record labels was Indy Record Magazines,recomendations from friends and the local stations on Sunday showcasing local bands. Nowadays there's a thousand different ways to discover new acts and explore unheard of genre's.
I agree with Alan. MTV was a great way to get introduced to new music, which you can't do with youtube unless you know what your looking for. It's not just 120 minutes. Headbangers Ball, Unplugged, etc and alot of diverse stuff outside of top 40. While the 90's was not great due to non music shows (still better than now), the 80's were amazing in terms of different music playing. it's a great way to discover music you have not heard before.
Old 08-01-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

On August 1, 1981 -- 35 years ago today -- a channel launched that was to change music history. Music Television, or MTV, kicked off for the first time at 12:01 a.m., Eastern Time, with the now legendary words: "Ladies and gentlemen, rock and roll."
Old 08-01-16, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

For those curious, here is how MTV Classic started (after showing MTV Hour One):

Madonna - Like A Virgin (1984)
No Doubt - Hey Baby (2001)
Outkast - Hey Ya (2003)
Kanye West - Gold Digger (2005)
Matchbox 20 - Bent (2000)
Santana & Rob Thomas - Smooth (1999)
Old 08-01-16, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I was 18 when MTV began in the early 1980s. Even back then, the music was diverse: Joan Jett next to Duran Duran. Very different. Not sure what happened but I'm definitely not interested in the bullshit they promote now.
Says every member of every generation about their music compared to the next.
Old 08-01-16, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I think the teen-to-early-twenties generation has more diverse music interests than any in the past four or five decades.

When I was a kid in the 80s, if you liked rap music you hated heavy metal. If you liked heavy metal you hated rap. Nobody liked country music except old people (Garth Brooks really changed this around 1990 or so, though).

But now it seems like the average kid has diverse interests, that can include all genres of popular music. My friends and family have teens that will listen to country, pop, hip hop, metal, alt rock.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 08-04-16 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-02-16, 01:32 AM

Yet you won't find a radio station that plays all of those together.

One idea I had for a radio format was a ridiculously diverse selection of music- punk rock to classical to you-name-it. Likely it would be hard to sell ad time on such a station as companies want to advertise to specific demographics, but I can dream.
Old 08-02-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
For those curious, here is how MTV Classic started (after showing MTV Hour One):

Outkast - Hey Ya (2003)
They are definetly skewering away from the 80's, as that just makes me feel older now that my demographic is being phased out.
Old 08-03-16, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing

Outkast - Hey Ya (2003)
Nobody needs to see Rob Thomas in two consecutive videos. Nobody.
Old 08-04-16, 09:49 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
When I was a kid in the 80s, if you like rap music you hated heavy metal. If you like heavy metal you hated rap. Nobody liked country music except old people (Garth Brooks really changed this around 1990 or so, though).
Very true... although I had liked some early hip hop when I was younger, once I became a teen I became a metal kid and hated rap for awhile. I actually did like DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince - especially A Nightmare on My Street - and secretly bought the tape, but I didn't display it with my other tapes. I actually had it hidden away so my friends wouldn't see it if they came over, like a closeted dude hiding his gay porn stash or something. It's ridiculous now, but it was a weird time.
Old 08-04-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Yet you won't find a radio station that plays all of those together.
Yes, you can. It's called Spotify and it uses algorithms to create personalized radio stations based on the music you already like and it's not genre specific. No one listens to the radio anymore.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.