Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Psychedelic Furs - "Made of Rain"

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-05-20, 05:35 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Has anyone else heard this? This one slipped under my radar. One of my favorite bands of the '80s and did not expect new material. First album in 29 years. I was pretty blown away by how great this is and how Richard Butler's voice has only gotten better with age. Highly recommended!

Old 09-05-20, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts
Re: The Psychedelic Furs - "Made of Rain"

I was disappointed, as the little bit I heard of it was a sonic disaster. Yeah, the vocals sound strong, but they're just a jumbled mess with all the instruments at the same levels.

Admittedly, I had only heard Don't Believe.
Old 09-10-20, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah, I've tried to listen to this album 3-4 times, and it's just not clicking for me. It is a sonic disaster: Richard Butler's vocals are as good as ever, but all the instruments are the exact same level for some reason. It's just a bunch of unpleasant noise (as opposed to Jesus and Mary Chain, which is pleasant noise). I kind of feel for bands like this, though: how do you make an album for your existing 1980s fans that's not a copy of the stuff you did back then, but different enough to have changed with the times and maybe get new fans,,, but also without appearing to jump on a bandwagon (a.k.a Madonnaism). Seems like OMD do this well: their new albums sound fully up to date and with the times, but they also sound like the logical extension of that 80s band.
Old 09-10-20, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Yeah, I've tried to listen to this album 3-4 times, and it's just not clicking for me. It is a sonic disaster: Richard Butler's vocals are as good as ever, but all the instruments are the exact same level for some reason. It's just a bunch of unpleasant noise (as opposed to Jesus and Mary Chain, which is pleasant noise). I kind of feel for bands like this, though: how do you make an album for your existing 1980s fans that's not a copy of the stuff you did back then, but different enough to have changed with the times and maybe get new fans,,, but also without appearing to jump on a bandwagon (a.k.a Madonnaism). Seems like OMD do this well: their new albums sound fully up to date and with the times, but they also sound like the logical extension of that 80s band.
Completely agree. Couldn't get into the new Furs either. A muddled mess and hardly any hooks. OMD did it well, agreed, as did Duran Duran. Several other (fairly recent) 80's acts are still cranking out quality material marrying the sonic soundscape from decades past to present day technology and innovation. It's a tricky balance for sure - appeasing the longtime fans while attracting new ones.

For reference, check out Blondie's last effort from a few years ago. It's the perfect example of solid songwriting, their familiar sound/style and Debbie sounds better than EVER on it. Erasure recently released a new one harkening back to their analogue sound.
Old 09-10-20, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
Completely agree. Couldn't get into the new Furs either. A muddled mess and hardly any hooks. OMD did it well, agreed, as did Duran Duran. Several other (fairly recent) 80's acts are still cranking out quality material marrying the sonic soundscape from decades past to present day technology and innovation. It's a tricky balance for sure - appeasing the longtime fans while attracting new ones.

For reference, check out Blondie's last effort from a few years ago. It's the perfect example of solid songwriting, their familiar sound/style and Debbie sounds better than EVER on it. Erasure recently released a new one harkening back to their analogue sound.
Agree with you both. Butler's vocals on the new Furs album is it's only saving grave. Otherwise it's pretty terrible. Also agree with everyone's observations on OMD's recent releases. They sound both retro and current. Same with Duran Duran's "All You Need is Now" from 2010 (damn, has it been 10 years already!?). You can thank superfan Mark Ronson for that. That was their best album since the mid-80's. He literally knocked it out of the park with that one. Blondie's "Pollinator" from 2017 was also their best album since the 80's. And it sounded even better live. Which is rare, they were never great in concert. Well, Debbie specifically. Clement Burke always kicked ass. Erasure's latest album released two weeks ago, also their best since 1991's "Chorus" (IMO). I'd also like include Simple Minds "Big Music" from 2014 (amazing), New Order's "Music Complete" from 2015 (fantastic) and the Pretender's latest ("Hate for Sale"). All retro and current sounding. And best thing they've done in a long time.

Old 09-12-20, 03:17 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Wow, guess I'm in the minority here.