Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever want to go to a concert, but can't find anyone to go with?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-10-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I'm in a long distance relationship, I can't just go anyplace with my sig. other anymore. I wanted to go to Dinosaur Jr. and Arcade Fire concerts, but can't find anyone to go with. Anyone ever have that problem? What do you do? Go by yourself?
Old 05-10-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes;Zappa plays Zappa is coming to my town this summer, and I don't know a single Zappa fan besides myself!
Old 05-10-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have never had that happen...but I will this summer because my guaranteed-concert friend is moving in a few weeks.

I could never go by myself, i'd feel too embarassed. I mean, no one would notice, but I just couldn't do it.

Good luck, though!
Old 05-10-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I went to my first concert (Suicidal Tendencies) by myself.

Definitely more fun with other/s, but yeah, my main concertgoing companion (spouse) and I have wildly divergent musical tastes. I wouldn't mind seeing Type O Negative this month, but I don't know anyone who likes them, plus, I don't really fit into the crowd much.
Old 05-10-07, 10:01 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
What's wrong with going to events by yourself? It's one thing if a road trip is involved, but if it's a local show...
Old 05-10-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Yeah back when I was 13 but not these days. But then again I did go to an Iron Maiden show alone back around '86. My Brother and his girlfriend dropped me off and picked me up after the show. I was around 16 or 17 at the time.

To be honest, I have a concert buddy and he's the best. We very spartan in our concert going in terms of going in, sitting down, enjoying the show, and going home. We don't have to sit together, in fact we're seeing RUSH twice in July and we're sitting in different rows both timesa and that's totally cool. We don't drink and we're both cheap so we don't have to worry about getting in long lines to buy $12 beers and crap arena food while missing parts of the show.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-10-07 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-10-07, 10:14 PM

No problems with going solo to shows. I think it's silly to pass on a kickass concert just because I feel embarassed about going alone.
Old 05-10-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 350 Posts
I've gone to see KISS (2004) and Iron Maiden (2003) by myself. I still had a great time - both were phenomenal shows!
Old 05-10-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've only gone alone to shows. Its kind of hard to find girls wanting to go to metalcore/death metal shows, although there were quite a few of them at a Cannibal Corpse show (i had one behind me all night, and she kind of "softened to the blow" when people pushed forward.
Old 05-10-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
What's wrong with going to events by yourself? It's one thing if a road trip is involved, but if it's a local show...
I always have this problem. Dream Theater never comes closer than a 90 minute drive and no one I know likes them. I once bought four tickets figuring I could talk a few people into going. I mean the tickets were only $20 each. Talked a few people into going, and none ended up paying me for the tickets. Even ended up in the front row.

Being in the front row helped me swallow the $120 night.
Old 05-10-07, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've gone to two seperate concerts by myself, and I'll be going to a few more in the future...

I drove 7 hours to Philly to see U2, and then 7 hours back by myself. I saw Loney, Dear and Low by myself. I will see The Broken West with Fountains of Wayne by myself.

It's no problem for me. Then again, I've been seeing two or three movies a week by myself for over 4 years now, so I suppose I'm just used to it. It helps that I have an extreme distaste for most people, so...
Old 05-10-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm fortunate enough to have two steady concert buddies. Between my best friend and my supervisor at work, it's a lock that one of them (or both) will always be willing to go. If I had to rely on my wife, I'd never go since she hates anything with crowds.
Old 05-10-07, 11:02 PM

Regularly - so I go by myself.

No biggie!
Old 05-10-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Plus when you go alone it's easier to get good Tix. Singles(tix) pop up all over.
Old 05-10-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Anyone ever have that problem? What do you do? Go by yourself?

Yes
Old 05-10-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I don't mind going to the movies by myself (but, if I had my choice, i'd rather take my girlfriend), but I can't go to concerts by myself for some reason.
Old 05-10-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I've gone to a bunch of shows by myself, including ones which involved somewhat lengthy road trips. For the actual shows, who cares? You're not there to talk to people anyway - you're there to listen to music. You can easily do that by yourself. I think it's also fun going with friends, but I'd never miss out on a concert rather than go it alone.
Old 05-10-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

has happened to me before, to be honest, it has it's downside, but also it's upside. I couldn't find anyone to go see The Police with me, and got far better seats than I would've been able to get with two people, so I'm all fine
Old 05-11-07, 03:48 AM

could never go by myself to a concert, but conventions on the other hand are a blast alone
Old 05-11-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I go by myself... Seriously, most people have lousy taste in music to begin with... So...

Originally Posted by mike7162
Yes;Zappa plays Zappa is coming to my town this summer, and I don't know a single Zappa fan besides myself!
Which town? I'll be at the Cincinnati show...
Old 05-11-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I go by myself because I want to see the band, and not have my jackass friends bothering me during the show.
Old 05-11-07, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by SeekOnce
No problems with going solo to shows. I think it's silly to pass on a kickass concert just because I feel embarassed about going alone.

So true, I mean I tried to get 2 tix to the radiohead concert at philly, but got denied, so when I tried for 1 tix, and got it, I didn't hesitate and went. Same for Bjork, you actually meet some cool people @ the shows...

It sucks though, because my friend is moving to Texas, but not before we catch Wilco @ the Brooklyn show.
Old 05-11-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I always have this problem. Dream Theater never comes closer than a 90 minute drive and no one I know likes them. I once bought four tickets figuring I could talk a few people into going. I mean the tickets were only $20 each. Talked a few people into going, and none ended up paying me for the tickets. Even ended up in the front row.

Being in the front row helped me swallow the $120 night.
That sucks (the not-paying for, not the front row). I've learned I don't buy tickets for anyone else until I have cash in hand, unless I'm willing to make it a gift.
Old 05-11-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
I tape so it's sometimes better to be alone. Been to shows where I knew a bunch of people, but I sat alone too.

But even before I started taping, I've been to a ton of shows alone.
Old 05-11-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I tape so it's sometimes better to be alone. Been to shows where I knew a bunch of people, but I sat alone too.

But even before I started taping, I've been to a ton of shows alone.
I tape as well, so that's also a consideration. I tease my wife because I've got a few recordings of, say, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club where you can hear her shout something like "Look at the drummer! He looks like he's going to fall asleep!" Then when she sees me wince, she mouths "Sorry!"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.