Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-22-16, 10:37 AM   #126
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Prince dead at 57. RIP

Denver also did some purple.

Old 04-22-16, 10:45 AM   #127
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

Early reports are that he has close to 2,000 songs in his "vault". Some just written, some demos, some full recordings.
Amazing how people will suddenly be seeking his unreleased stuff when nobody's been buying his released albums for 20+ years.
Old 04-22-16, 10:54 AM   #128
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Amazing how people will suddenly be seeking his unreleased stuff when nobody's been buying his released albums for 20+ years.
He didn't like releasing the same sort of thing twice - so it's very possible that he could have some Purple Rain-type stuff kept in his vault. I'm hoping for some of that guitar work of his, which isn't at all prevalent on his released albums.
Old 04-22-16, 11:14 AM   #129
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Prince's Mysterious Final Flight Stopped for 'Unresponsive Male': Source.

The final flight that a stricken Prince took from Atlanta last week made an emergency landing after an "unresponsive male" was reported on the plane, a source with direct knowledge of the incident told NBC News.

Few details have been released about the circumstances surrounding that unplanned stop — adding another layer of mystery to the superstar's final days before he was found dead Thursday at his Minnesota estate.

An autopsy of the 57-year-old singer was underway Friday morning as authorities try to determine what caused his death. Results, however, won't be released for several weeks, Martha Weaver, a Midwest Medical Examiner's Office spokeswoman, told NBC News.

representative had said he was not feeling well at his Thursday night show in Atlanta and his health worsened after he boarded a plane after midnight for Minneapolis. He was reportedly suffering from the flu, and had to cancel other shows.

The private jet he was on was diverted about 300 miles before reaching Minneapolis to Moline, Illinois, according to flight records and statements made by Prince's publicist last week.

The only flight scheduled from Atlanta to Minneapolis — and with a diversion to Moline — was a Dassault Falcon 990 jet operated by Executive Jet Management "Jet Speed."

The flight took off at 12:51 a.m. ET April 15, and according to records, began an unscheduled landing to the Quad City International Airport in Moline at 2:01 a.m.

Records show that the plane had landed in northwestern Illinois after descending about 45,000 feet in about 17 minutes, at points reaching 5,000 feet per minute. A pilot of this type of aircraft tells NBC News that rate would certainly be indicative of a medical emergency on-board.

The Moline Fire Department told NBC News it received a call for Emergency Medical Services to respond to the airport at 2:15 a.m.

A source said that the plane had radioed in a medical emergency for an "unresponsive male."

While the closest hospital is Trinity Moline, an emergency official said that the facility is not normally staffed or equipped to handle more severe medical issues.

When contacted by NBC News, the hospital said it treated no patient by the name of Prince Rogers Nelson — the artist's full name. Another nearby hospital, Trinity Rick Island, also said it did not take in such a person.

A Prince spokesperson previously said that he was treated for the flu in Moline and released later that day.

Flight records show that the same plane departed Moline at 11:57 a.m. and arrived back to the Twin Cities at 12:45 p.m.

Following reports of his sickness, Prince appeared the following day at a nighttime dance party at Paisley Park, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

One fan at the show told NBC News that the Grammy-winning musician thanked his doctor while making a speech and asked the crowd to give him another round of applause.

"It was a little awkward in that moment, didn't really realize it, didn't think anything," Patricia Chavez said, "but maybe he was a little bit more sick than he gave off."

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/m...source-n560416
Old 04-22-16, 11:46 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Well the profiteers are out in full force. eBay prices on Prince CDs skyrocketing.
I just finished off my collection last year, minus a few of the obscure and really expensive music club releases he had put out that I couldn't justify. I'll have to look and see what they're going for, but I won't be selling.

I see the One Nite Alone box set with 3 discs is going for insane prices. I think I paid around $60 and that was a hard price to pay then!
Old 04-22-16, 12:08 PM   #131
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
I just finished off my collection last year, minus a few of the obscure and really expensive music club releases he had put out that I couldn't justify. I'll have to look and see what they're going for, but I won't be selling.

I see the One Nite Alone box set with 3 discs is going for insane prices. I think I paid around $60 and that was a hard price to pay then!
Since you're a completest, how would you rate the albums from last 10-15 years?
Old 04-22-16, 12:14 PM   #132
DVD Talk Legend

Slightly related to Cungar's question, I feel like the Hits1/Hits2/Bside set is really a very good entry point if you don't have anything.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 04-22-16, 12:32 PM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Slightly related to Cungar's question, I feel like the Hits1/Hits2/Bside set is really a very good entry point if you don't have anything.

I'll be spinning the 3 discs this weekend.
Old 04-22-16, 12:37 PM   #134
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post

I'll be spinning the 3 discs this weekend.
That is a must have. Even for people that have some of the albums given the awesome new songs ("Peach", "Pope", his version of "Nothing Compares 2 U") and b-sides included in the set. Many of those b-sides ("Erotic City" especially) are some of the best songs he ever did.
Old 04-22-16, 12:43 PM   #135
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Or Arms of Orion, or Partyman, or Trust. That album had some great songs that belong any best of collection.
and The Future and Scandalous. That's a great album. Always skipped Batdance. lol

Played the Symbol album yesterday, another underatted gem. The Chains of Gold, Continental, Morning Papers. Such a great one.
Old 04-22-16, 12:50 PM   #136

Quote:
Well the profiteers are out in full force. eBay prices on Prince CDs skyrocketing.
Tuesday I won and paid for an auction for For You for $3. The seller listed it as shipped and attached a tracking that same day. There has been no movement at all on it. Part of me thinks that I will never see that disc.
Old 04-22-16, 12:54 PM   #137
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
That is a must have. Even for people that have some of the albums given the awesome new songs ("Peach", "Pope", his version of "Nothing Compares 2 U") and b-sides included in the set. Many of those b-sides ("Erotic City" especially) are some of the best songs he ever did.
Agree totally.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 04-22-16, 12:55 PM   #138
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
And Prince really liked candles. From the liner notes,
Quote:
Enjoying a state-of-the-art facility in his own house was something it didn’t take long to get used to. When it came time to record DO ME, BABY, an all but lurid ballad of lust and conquest, Prince turned the control room into a bedroom. When the engineer reported to work, he walked into a studio sexily lit with scented candles and draped with chiffon in every nook and cranny. Invited out as soon as he got the tape rolling, he heard the door lock behind him and left for home. It’s never been established who else, if anyone, was in the studio at the time.
Quote:
GOD turned out to be one of Prince’s more obscure flip sides. Released with PURPLE RAIN, engineer Susan Rogers remembers it as a “Sunday song.”

“Almost all of Prince’s songs with religious or spiritual overtones – ‘God,’ The Cross,’ ‘Sign ‘O’ The Times’ – were recorded on Sundays,” she explains. “We were at the warehouse on a really hot afternoon and the equipment kept breaking down. Finally, he turned out all the lights, lit a few candles, recorded ‘God’ in one take and went home. There wasn’t much else to say.”
http://albumlinernotes.com/The_Hits_-_B_Sides.html
Old 04-22-16, 12:57 PM   #139
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
He didn't like releasing the same sort of thing twice - so it's very possible that he could have some Purple Rain-type stuff kept in his vault. I'm hoping for some of that guitar work of his, which isn't at all prevalent on his released albums.
There are a lot of great recordings from the 80s that have only been available on crappy bootlegs that sound like cassette dubs, but better quality masters are believed to exist. Prince has released a few of these songs over the years, but usually in new recordings with different arrangements since he liked to tinker with songs.
Old 04-22-16, 01:20 PM   #140
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
GOD turned out to be one of Prince’s more obscure flip sides. Released with PURPLE RAIN, engineer Susan Rogers remembers it as a “Sunday song.”

“Almost all of Prince’s songs with religious or spiritual overtones – ‘God,’ The Cross,’ ‘Sign ‘O’ The Times’ – were recorded on Sundays,” she explains. “We were at the warehouse on a really hot afternoon and the equipment kept breaking down. Finally, he turned out all the lights, lit a few candles, recorded ‘God’ in one take and went home. There wasn’t much else to say.”
I can see why there wasn't much to say after that. "God" is probably his worst song ever with him just screeching for several minutes. Probably the only song that I just cannot listen to by Prince.
Old 04-22-16, 01:31 PM   #141
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
I can see why there wasn't much to say after that. "God" is probably his worst song ever with him just screeching for several minutes. Probably the only song that I just cannot listen to by Prince.
"God" was certainly not one of the better b-sides I was describing. There are also some "less than" songs on the first 2 discs IMO. I'm not a big fan of songs like "Get Off" and "Sexy M.F" for example.
Old 04-22-16, 02:21 PM   #142
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
"God" was certainly not one of the better b-sides I was describing. There are also some "less than" songs on the first 2 discs IMO. I'm not a big fan of songs like "Get Off" and "Sexy M.F" for example.
You are crazy. "Gett Off" is fucking awesome.

"Now move your big ass 'round this way so I can work on that zipper ba-by." Awesome.
Old 04-22-16, 02:25 PM   #143
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Many of those b-sides ("Erotic City" especially) are some of the best songs he ever did.
17 Days (B-side When Doves Cry) is amazing also 4 the Tears in Your Eyes from the Live Aid album.

Last edited by inri222; 04-22-16 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 02:41 PM   #144

Stream Prince’s Final Concert: http://www.stereogum.com/1873138/str...-concert/mp3s/
Old 04-22-16, 03:16 PM   #145

Quote:
Since you're a completest, how would you rate the albums from last 10-15 years?
I'm one of those fans that once I like someone, I'll almost always find value in their recordings--so I am probably the wrong person to ask for a casual fan. But Musicology is probably the one I would recommend. My wife is more of a hits-type fan and that would be her favorite of his newer works. The Lotusflower/MPLSound project might grab some casual fans as well, but it wasn't all that well reviewed. I liked it, but the prior caveat applies.
Old 04-22-16, 03:17 PM   #146
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
You are crazy. "Gett Off" is fucking awesome.

"Now move your big ass 'round this way so I can work on that zipper ba-by." Awesome.
Lyrics are fun, but the whole thing is so repetitive.
Old 04-22-16, 03:18 PM   #147
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As for his more recent stuff, much of the two Hit N' Run releases were quite good IMO. HARDROCKLOVER ranks up here as one of my favorites. I really enjoyed the Planet Earth album as well.
Old 04-22-16, 03:22 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
17 Days (B-side When Doves Cry) is amazing also 4 the Tears in Your Eyes from the Live Aid album.
Yes they are, and I really dig "She's Always in my Hair" as well. Those three songs made me dig deeper, because if he had those as b-sides....?

Another thing is there are often substantial differences between the album versions and those for radio. The radio versions are usually edited for time, so you miss a lot of Prince being Prince. They both have their place. Disc two of the Ultimate Prince set has a lot of extended versions and remixes as well, which for nuts like me is a lot of fun.
Old 04-22-16, 03:27 PM   #149

Quote:
As for his more recent stuff, much of the two Hit N' Run releases were quite good IMO. HARDROCKLOVER ranks up here as one of my favorites. I really enjoyed the Planet Earth album as well.
I love them too, especially the HNRs but figured I was biased (I imagine the prices on the physical of part 2 have gone through the roof, since it was only sold at his concerts). I really dig "Way Back Home" from AOI. Those background female vocals make me feel like I'm ascending to heaven..
Old 04-22-16, 03:57 PM   #150
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, like Michael Jackson, addicted to drugs and eventually OD'd on them.