Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Prince dead at 57. RIP

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Prince dead at 57. RIP

Old 04-21-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Prince dead at 57. RIP

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Any news yet on cause of death?
The rumor is complications from AIDs. Knowing Prince, we may never really know.
Old 04-21-16, 01:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I played the hell out of the soundtrack, it still gets rotation from time to time especially since we played Arms of Orion at our wedding.

Yeah, not to diminish Bowie's influences, but Prince is on a more personal level. These were songs that got into your soul and stayed there. Listening to a DJ announce this a few minutes ago on the radio, talking about the concerts he went to and then starting into Purple Rain, it hit me pretty hard.
that's an underrated great song.
Old 04-21-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So saddened.
Old 04-21-16, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

R. I. P.
Old 04-21-16, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Holy shit, this sucks. It's been a rough year for musicians..
Old 04-21-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shocking news.

I'm not into his music but realize a lot of people were. Too bad.

Originally Posted by slop101
Wonder if his death had anything to do with him being a Jehovah's Witness and not allowing himself to take any drugs, including medication needed to live.
Maddening if true.
Old 04-21-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselsDen
He was one of the very best musicians. Ever.

This sucks.
Old 04-21-16, 01:23 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

There's evidence Prince's death was not unexpected, because we've learned the superstar started writing his memoirs just a month ago.

Sources connected with Prince tell us, they were surprised he started the project ... something he had been mulling over for years but not acting upon. We're told he had finished around 50 pages at the time of his death.

What's more ... last Saturday night, after Prince was admitted to a hospital for what his reps called the flu, he addressed a crowd at Paisley Park near his home and said, "Wait a few days before you waste any prayers."

Whatever was ailing Prince, it was serious enough to sideline him several weeks ago from doing 2 shows, and it clearly lingered because he had to make an emergency landing last Friday, just 48 minutes from his home.

Our sources say Prince was upset the news got out that he had been hospitalized, and feared people would think he was already dead.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz46UElj07R
This, to me, kinda backs up the AIDS blind item that was previously posted.
Old 04-21-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

The crazy thing is he was still performing live through last week and apparently delivered his usual killer shows.
Old 04-21-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not going to pretend I was the biggest fan of Prince. I wasn't even really a fan - I loved Purple Rain and Sign O the Times, of course, and a few other songs here and there, the ones everyone likes, Raspberry Beret, Controversy, etc. But I always knew he was a genius. Not the kind of genius where everything they do is brilliant, the kind of genius that makes what he wants to make and knows it's just a matter of time until people recognize the brilliance in the stuff they didn't understand before.

I was lucky enough to see him in concert, the tour he did where he said he was no longer going to perform the older stuff anymore afterward, the Musicology tour. I still have not only the ticket stub, but an envelope full of little purple shreds of paper that fell from the ceiling as he closed the show with When Doves Cry and his version of Glamorous Life. He made us wait twenty minutes for the encore - he hadn't sung THE song yet and no one was going anywhere until he did. He said goodnight, disappeared in an elevator floor drop, the lights came up, time passed and no one got up to leave. Then the lights dropped and he came back up through the floor alone and sang Purple Rain. It was glorious. As was he.

...and I bet he's already tapping Vanity.

Rest in Power, Prince.
Old 04-21-16, 01:49 PM

Sometimes it Snows in April

RIP. Devastatated.
Old 04-21-16, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Wonder if his death had anything to do with him being a Jehovah's Witness and not allowing himself to take any drugs, including medication needed to live.
TMZ posted a pic of him exiting a Walgreen's last night.
Old 04-21-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Prince was hospitalized ... but was discharged after only a few hours. Our sources in Moline told us at the time they felt Prince left the hospital way too soon because he was "not doing well" and needed further medical care.

On Saturday, the day after he was released from the hospital, Prince took the stage at a dance party near his home and curiously said, "Wait a few days before you waste any prayers."
Between the memoirs and this, the man knew he wasn't going to be around much longer.
Old 04-21-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I always respect a musician like Prince or Bowie whose music changed with the times and they were always evolving.

Michael Jackson was a bigger pop star, but I think overall Prince was more talented.
Old 04-21-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the blindgossip link is down. Can anyone summarize? I'm assuming it alluded to someone having AIDS that now appears to be Prince?
Old 04-21-16, 02:27 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prince was the first real concert I had a chance to go to. It's the same show Chuck Klosterman wrote about in the book 'The Show I'll Never Forget'. My seats weren't great, but I still had a blast. I'd always hoped to see him again. I won't get that chance now, but I'm thankful I at least saw him live once.
Old 04-21-16, 02:29 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Looks like the blindgossip link is down. Can anyone summarize? I'm assuming it alluded to someone having AIDS that now appears to be Prince?
MediaTakeOut.com just received word that a VERY popular African-American celebrity - who has recently been in the news - now has what is being described as AIDS. Obviously since we are not able to 100% confirm the story - we're going to leave it as a Blind Item. We want to make it clear we are NOT talking about Magic Johnson. This report REALLY hurt our heart. According to a person EXTREMELY CLOSE to the situation, the celebrity, who is known for having a very EXTREME sexual past reportedly contracted the illness sometime in the 1990s. He kept the illness quiet but began taking his medication RELIGIOUSLY up until about two years ago. Here's what we're told by a VERY trusted entertainment insider: "[The celebrity] believed that he was cured, and he had some crazy [religious] people who told him that God cured him. So he stopped taking his medication and the sickness came back. Now doctors say he's dying, and there is nothing anyone can do about it." We're told that the celebrity is expected to get sicker and sicker, and eventually pass. It can happen as soon as the summer.
Old 04-21-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Pretty much
Old 04-21-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
The rumor is complications from AIDs. Knowing Prince, we may never really know.
It's kind of gonna have to come out.
Old 04-21-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Quote:
MediaTakeOut.com just received word that a VERY popular African-American celebrity - who has recently been in the news - now has what is being described as AIDS. Obviously since we are not able to 100% confirm the story - we're going to leave it as a Blind Item. We want to make it clear we are NOT talking about Magic Johnson. This report REALLY hurt our heart. According to a person EXTREMELY CLOSE to the situation, the celebrity, who is known for having a very EXTREME sexual past reportedly contracted the illness sometime in the 1990s. He kept the illness quiet but began taking his medication RELIGIOUSLY up until about two years ago. Here's what we're told by a VERY trusted entertainment insider: "[The celebrity] believed that he was cured, and he had some crazy [religious] people who told him that God cured him. So he stopped taking his medication and the sickness came back. Now doctors say he's dying, and there is nothing anyone can do about it." We're told that the celebrity is expected to get sicker and sicker, and eventually pass. It can happen as soon as the summer.
I loved Prince to death, I truly believe he was an artist that you have to be a little older to appreciate fully as I didn't realize his genius until I was in my late 20's/early 30's. But his downfall was religion, he listened to people he flat out should never have, and this is unfortunately the result. (Seriously I would punch those people in the mouth who told him that he got "cured") I'm truly saddened, and Purple Rain is making me weep right now. The only silver lining out of this is maybe...just maybe the treasure trove of unreleased songs he has will now be brought out to the public. It will become Tupac-esque and then some.
Old 04-21-16, 02:54 PM

I know he wasn't a big guy to begin with, what was he, 5'2"?, but recent pics of him show he was extremely frail. Probably under 100 pounds.
Old 04-21-16, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
I loved Prince to death, I truly believe he was an artist that you have to be a little older to appreciate fully as I didn't realize his genius until I was in my late 20's/early 30's. But his downfall was religion, he listened to people he flat out should never have, and this is unfortunately the result. (Seriously I would punch those people in the mouth who told him that he got "cured") I'm truly saddened, and Purple Rain is making me weep right now. The only silver lining out of this is maybe...just maybe the treasure trove of unreleased songs he has will now be brought out to the public. It will become Tupac-esque and then some.
How can you draw that conclusion at this point?
Old 04-21-16, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a rumor that he died from the side effects of his flu vaccine with his epilepsy medicine, but it's way too soon to know for sure.
Old 04-21-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu
There's a rumor that he died from the side effects of his flu vaccine with his epilepsy medicine, but it's way too soon to know for sure.
That seems unlikely, you normally don't get a flu vaccine if you've already got the flu, and he's apparently had it for a month.
Old 04-21-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Better source than TMZ confirms it:
Hopefully you realize by now that TMZ is actually a pretty reliable source of news. If anything, your link only confirms that. Welcome to the 21st century.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.