Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Prince dead at 57. RIP

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Prince dead at 57. RIP

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Prince dead at 57. RIP

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I hope they release that 1985 Syracuse concert that got a VHS release on Blu-ray.
I hope so too, my player ate the tape about 15 years ago. Glad I got to see him play a week before in Long Island, the set was exactly the same.
Old 08-06-16, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
So what? Many of those albums are good. He continued to make great music, you just haven't heard it because it didn't make it up the charts. I agree that Kiss, for example, is a shitty song. Why that shit plays continuously on the radio is beyond me. He has many better songs that never got spun ounce on the radio.

And as I've said before, what's happening on YouTube right now since his passing has solidified his greatness to me. Seeing the live stuff from the '80s and '90s really fills in the gaps of what he was doing creatively. The concepts on the records were expressed in his live shows, and frequently the live version was better than the record.
My post was kind of unclear. I meant to say that out of those 40 albums (appx. 400 songs), I only like maybe 35-40 Prince tracks. You are somewhat correct when saying I haven't heard everything. In 2004, I caught his show during the Musicology tour where they gave away that album for free. Listened to it a few times, & I couldn't get into it, so I gave it away. That's around the time I gave up on him. By chance I heard Guitar from Planet Earth & Screwdriver from Hit n Run Phase Two & those are the only 2 songs I like of his since The Gold Experience. I think the problem is that he put out way too much material. He has averaged one album per year for almost 40 years which isn't necessarily a bad thing but there are way too many duds. The Hits/The B-Sides & Purple Rain is IMO all you need.
Old 08-08-16, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Prince estate administrator denies plan to sell Paisley Park.

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The administrator of Prince's estate says it is not planning to sell Paisley Park, one day after asking a judge for permission to offer several Prince properties for sale.

A court filing on Friday had included Paisley Park, Prince's home and recording complex, among a list of properties that could be sold.

But on Saturday, Bremer Trust issued a brief statement saying: "Bremer Trust, the special administrator for the Prince Rogers Nelson estate, has no plans to sell either Paisley Park or the property referred to as the "Purple Rain" house." That Minneapolis house was filmed in Prince's 1984 movie.

Court papers filed by Bremer has asked a judge for permission to offer for sale nearly 20 properties owned by Prince worth an estimated $28 million.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/...L&ocid=U305DHP
Old 08-08-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I think my initial question was missed, or at least the answer I was looking for. Why, in a Prince movie collection, would they not include Sign O' The Times? It was a concert film with an actual theatrical release. I went to the theater to see it, the same as I did all his other films. Seems silly to leave it out.
Old 08-08-16, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I've never actually seen any of the Prince films, but if the other three are more standard "narrative" films with a lot of music, as compared to an actual concert film, then I can see the marketing group thinking that it wouldn't be a good fit, and I can see a few consumers thinking the same thing.

A "mega fan" would want everything, but most others wouldn't think of that kind of thing fitting with the other.

(Now I'm thinking of the old Sesame Street song "One of these things is not like the other".
Old 08-09-16, 12:09 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I think there's an issue with sign o the times regarding rights. Warner Bros does not own it outright.
Old 08-09-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I've never actually seen any of the Prince films, but if the other three are more standard "narrative" films with a lot of music, as compared to an actual concert film, then I can see the marketing group thinking that it wouldn't be a good fit, and I can see a few consumers thinking the same thing.

A "mega fan" would want everything, but most others wouldn't think of that kind of thing fitting with the other.

(Now I'm thinking of the old Sesame Street song "One of these things is not like the other".
I think there's an issue with sign o the times regarding rights. Warner Bros does not own it outright.
How can Warner Brothers not own it? They released it under their label for the VHS release back in the day, and unless I'm wrong, don't they still own the music Prince recorded while he was still with them?

As far as "mega fans" wanting the whole thing, who else is going to be buying a set like this? Your average movie fan is not even going to bother with a set like this, which is why I have to assume they're also releasing the movies individually, so people can pick and choose.
Old 08-10-16, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm pretty sure they don't own Sign movie. That's why only the Canadian copy is the only blu ray version that's worth a crap. Has actual 5.1 audio. The other versions didn't. Least last I seen which was long time ago but anyway.

And Prince got his catalog back in a recent deal he owned the masters. If warner was to release anything at all they needed Prince to approve it, which is why the anniversary for Purple Rain got madd a remaster than it was canceled because Prince changed his mind.
Old 08-22-16, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pills seized from Paisley Park contained illicit fentanyl, same drug that killed Prince.

Pills marked as hydrocodone that were seized from Paisley Park after Prince’s overdose death actually contained fentanyl, the powerful opioid that killed him, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation.

The musician, who weighed only 112 pounds at the time of his death April 21, had so much of the drug in his system, autopsy results later showed, that it would have killed anyone, regardless of size, the source said.

Prince did not possess a prescription for fentanyl, a synthetic opioid that has been described as 100 times more powerful than morphine, the source said.

Despite the finding, investigators still aren’t certain how the 57-year-old megastar ingested the fentanyl. However, they are leaning toward the theory that he took the pills not knowing they contained the drug.

An autopsy report released in June by the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office said Prince died from an accidental, self-administered overdose of fentanyl. But it did not indicate how he obtained the painkiller, nor did it list any other cause of death or “significant condition.”

Four months after Prince’s death, investigators are still wrestling with a host of questions in hopes of solving the mystery of how Prince got the drug and what happened in his final hours. But even without definitive answers, it seems more and more likely that Prince became a casualty of what is being called a new national crisis of deadly counterfeit pills.

Illicit fentanyl has traditionally been mixed with or sold as heroin — as was the case in a series of overdose deaths in north-central Minnesota and North Dakota earlier this year. But the Drug Enforcement Administration said drug traffickers have since expanded the illicit fentanyl market by producing counterfeit pills that contain the opioid.

And while the 2006 raid of a single Mexican drug lab halted an earlier surge in fentanyl-linked overdose deaths, authorities say China-sourced fentanyl and precursor chemicals are now being sold to criminals running clandestine pill-press operations across North America.

A recent flood of “wholesale amounts” of counterfeit pills that contain fentanyl prompted the DEA last month to issue a report warning of a rise in “overdoses, deaths and opiate-dependent individuals.” The DEA said it tested eight times as much fentanyl last year as it did during the 2006 crisis.

“This is becoming a trend,” according to the DEA’s report, “not a series of isolated incidents.”

http://www.startribune.com/pills-sei...nce/390816101/
Old 08-22-16, 04:25 PM
Banned

Wow. How do you folks who called him a junkie feel now?
Old 08-22-16, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

The actual cause of death doesn't negate the fact that he was a drug addict.
He liked his drugs.
Old 08-23-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

It doesn't matter if the pills weren't what he thought. He still overdosed. How was he not a junkie?
Old 08-23-16, 05:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
It doesn't matter if the pills weren't what he thought. He still overdosed. How was he not a junkie?
A few hydrocodone pills are like candy, a few fentanyls will kill you. Big difference.
Old 08-23-16, 06:05 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

drug addicts often put the pills of stronger drugs in old bottles labeled with other, weaker, drugs. helps protect their image with friends and family...
Old 08-23-16, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

I guess his estate will be suing a pharmaceutical company for making and selling these counterfeit pills.
Old 08-25-16, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
A few hydrocodone pills are like candy, a few fentanyls will kill you. Big difference.
I've got a few dead friends who might disagree with you. They can both kill but my point was it didn't matter if he thought he was taking something else. His actions were still that of a junkie
Old 08-25-16, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Prince Estate: Paisley Park to open for daily paid public tours in fall.

Prince’s creative oasis, his Paisley Park compound outside Minneapolis, will be turned into a museum and opened for daily public tours in October, the administrator of the icon’s estate announced Wednesday.

Prince’s sister, Tyka Nelson, said in a statement that this was always her brother’s goal. In fact, it was one of the first things she and her husband said publicly after Prince’s April 21 death from a drug overdose in an elevator at Paisley Park.

“Opening Paisley Park is something that Prince always wanted to do and was actively working on," Tyka Nelson said in the press release issued by Bremer Trust, the special administrator of Prince’s still-unresolved estate.

"Only a few hundred people have had the rare opportunity to tour the estate during his lifetime," Nelson said. "Now fans from around the world will be able to experience Prince's world for the first time, as we open the doors to this incredible place."

"The new Paisley Park museum will offer fans a unique experience, an exhibition like no other, as Prince would have wanted it," according to the official statement by Prince's siblings (his heirs include five half-siblings besides his full sister, Tyka).

"Most important, the museum will display Prince's genius, honor his legacy, and carry forward his strong sense of family and community."

Tickets are set to go on sale Friday at 2 p.m. CT for tours starting Oct. 6 at OfficialPaisleyPark com. No ticket price is available.

Under the plans for the museum, to be reviewed by the city of Chanhassen, Minn., guided tours will take visitors throughout the main floor of the 65,000-square-foot mansion, including the studios where Prince recorded, produced and mixed most of his biggest hits.

The tours will include Prince's video editing suites, rehearsal rooms, private NPG Music Club, and a massive soundstage and concert hall where he rehearsed for tours and held private events and concerts. Visitors also will see thousands of artifacts from Prince's personal archives, including his concert wardrobe, awards, musical instruments, artwork, rare music and video recordings, concert memorabilia, automobiles and motorcycles.

"The Estate is working with the family to form an advisory council who will provide valuable input on the entire experience," said Bremer Trust President Craig Ordal in a statement.

Chanhassen Mayor Denny Laufenburger tweeted his own statement, saying he believes the plans are in full accordance with Prince's wishes and that the star's vision for Paisley Park as a museum was in place even before his death. "He knew exactly how to showcase his production studio for his fans in preparation for this eventual outcome," Laufenburger said.

Bremer touted the museum as an unprecedented opportunity for fans to “experience first-hand what it was like for Prince to create, produce and perform inside this private sanctuary and remarkable production complex, which is also considered one of the greatest landmarks in the entertainment industry.”

Bremer's plans call for tapping "the operational expertise of an experienced property management team, which will also provide initial funding for capital improvements. The Estate will maintain ownership of the property." Bremer said the media spokesman for the project will be the same company that handles national media for Elvis Presley's Graceland.

It suggests Bremer and Prince's family are seeking to make the Paisley Park museum somewhat in the image of Graceland, which opened in 1982, five years after Presley died, and now draws more than 500,000 visitors a year. The total economic impact on the city of Memphis from Graceland visitors is estimated to be $150 million a year.

Bremer Trust has been focused on sorting out Prince's multi-million-dollar estate (no will was found), trying to determine who besides his siblings are his heirs. It is trying to sell some property, such as Prince's Caribbean villa, to generate cash to pay hefty estate tax bills that are coming due in January. And the estate has hired consultants in the music industry to help decide what to do with Prince's musical catalog and any tapes of unreleased music.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2...fall/89298540/
Old 08-25-16, 01:37 PM
Banned

I'd go. From what I hear there is so much stuff. Costumes, props, stages, sets, items accumulated over his entire life. It wasn't just a recording studio it was like a mini-movie studio from the Golden Age of Hollywood.
Old 10-01-16, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Old 10-02-16, 04:02 PM
Banned

Not.
One.
Ounce.
Of.
Soul.

I kind of like Coldplay. I bought their first album. I saw them live once. But they are just the whitest, blandest band.
Old 10-02-16, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Yeah, Coldplay is horrid.
Old 10-02-16, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Christ, sounds like some business major sitting under a tree trying to shag sorority chicks on a Friday afternoon.
Old 10-12-16, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Prince Music Vault Being Shopped for $35 Million; 'Purple Rain' Deluxe Edition Coming Next Year

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...deluxe-edition
Old 02-12-17, 02:37 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts

Prince's Warner Bros. Records catalog to be available on all streaming services. http://apne.ws/2lEShYd

Already up on Apple Music
Old 04-17-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://kstp.com/news/search-warrants...4456240/?cat=1

According to a statement included in one of the warrants released, Dr. Michael Schulenberg - a 47-year-old family care physician who worked at a Minnetonka clinic a few miles from Prince's Paisley Park studio and home - admitted to Detective Chris Nelson that "he had prescribed Prince a prescription for oxycodone the same day as the emergency plane landing but put the prescription in Kirk Johnson's name for Prince's privacy."

The article is longer...but thats an interesting snippet there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.