Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taylor Swift donates $250,000 to Kesha

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Taylor Swift donates $250,000 to Kesha

Old 02-23-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift donates $250,000 to Kesha

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
if raped women want sympathy they apparently need to put out thought provoking music and write insightful lyrics.

if tom waits raped leonard cohen, we would be on page three by now.

#ke$halivesmatter
That would be a very raspy rape.
Old 02-23-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait a minute. Why does this lawsuit mean Kesha has no money? According to wikipedia:

"As of February 2016, she has reportedly sold over 33 million records (albums, tracks, and ringtones) in the United States and 60 million records worldwide.[4][5]"

She also had a TV show and probably makes millions in live gigs. Why am I feeling sorry for her? Sure, I feel sorry that she was allegedly sexually abused but how does that translate to blowing all your money?

And, Dr. Luke. Is he an MD?

By the way, Kesha is a very intelligent person. "After attaining a near-perfect score on her SATs, she was offered a full scholarship at Barnard College."

(Full disclosure: the only knowledge I have of Kesha's music is her work with The Flaming Lips.)

Last edited by CRM114; 02-23-16 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
And, Dr. Luke. Is he an MD?
Same med school as Dr John, Dr Hook and Dr Dre
Old 02-23-16, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Couldn't that money have went to a more useful cause?
Yes.

But this move isn't about money - arguably the money is just to give reporters a story... so they'll cover the actual story: artists' rights to record their own music.

Side tangent
Spoiler:
The focus on the money reminds me a lot of when OK! or Hello gave Catherine Zeta Jones fifty thousand pounds to exclusively photograph her wedding. And when criticised for 'selling the rights to her wedding', she said "that kind of money doesn't matter to me/us"... for which she got even more flak.

The point/real story was that a magazine offered her an mount of money that wasn't life-changing to her, to do something that didn't matter much. And then she donated this free money to charity. The focus on selling out and then on being out-of-touch were the media stirring stuff up to mock a celebrity.

Here, a famous person is showing (monetary) support for a friend/colleague who has been seen to be unfairly treated by at least one person/company. By doing so, she's drawing attention - again - to the state of the industry, and it's treatment of (female) artists.

Celebrities using their clout and coverage* to shine a light into dirty corners is a good thing.

*And/or vast amounts of money, resulting in more coverage.
Old 02-23-16, 07:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
A shitty song about children dying in Guatemala is still a shitty song.

Also notsureifserious.
I'm completely serious. A lot of people have taken this issue as an excuse to mock and deride Kesha, which not incidentally is the sort of treatment a lot of rape and sexual abuse victims receive. If this were not a celebrity, but just a woman whose boss took sexual advantage of her, would you deem it appropriate to dismiss her by saying that she wasn't very good at her job anyway, so it's not like it mattered?

This isn't the only place I've seen this sort of response. People on the Steve Hoffman Forums were saying that now she's damaged goods so no one will want to listen to her anymore. It's absolutely mind-blowing how misogynistic and puerile people can be. And that includes the OP.
The following users liked this post:
tasha99 (03-07-24)
Old 02-23-16, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

The SHF isn't exactly a bastion of sensitive, enlightened thinking. Or logic. Or gender equality. Or... I think I'll just stop here.
Old 02-23-16, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm completely serious. A lot of people have taken this issue as an excuse to mock and deride Kesha, which not incidentally is the sort of treatment a lot of rape and sexual abuse victims receive. If this were not a celebrity, but just a woman whose boss took sexual advantage of her, would you deem it appropriate to dismiss her by saying that she wasn't very good at her job anyway, so it's not like it mattered?

This isn't the only place I've seen this sort of response. People on the Steve Hoffman Forums were saying that now she's damaged goods so no one will want to listen to her anymore. It's absolutely mind-blowing how misogynistic and puerile people can be. And that includes the OP.
After some of the responses on the first page I was going to reply but your post fits my thoughts perfectly.
Old 02-24-16, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet

https://mobile.twitter.com/pennyred/...529792?lang=en

"Germaine Greer once wrote that women have no idea how much men hate them. Thanks to the internet, now we do." - Laurie Penny
Old 02-24-16, 07:52 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

http://www.tmz.com/2016/02/23/kesha-...osition-video/
Old 02-24-16, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ntnon
Yes.

But this move isn't about money - arguably the money is just to give reporters a story... so they'll cover the actual story: artists' rights to record their own music.
So contracts are meaningless now?

I don't know the details of what is going on but contracts cannot be broken based on allegations alone. Was Dr. Luke charged?
Old 02-24-16, 11:29 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Because victims of significant mental and physical abuse - especially female - have never lied to someone they don't know and will likely never meet again, to protect their abusers who have complete control over their careers, right? She lied before or she's lying now so she must be a stupid lying liar who doesn't deserve a career anyway. Case closed!

Originally Posted by CRM114
So contracts are meaningless now?

I don't know the details of what is going on but contracts cannot be broken based on allegations alone. Was Dr. Luke charged?
As I understand, recording contracts have been broken for far less serious situations. And people in power are not adverse to sabotaging an album's promotion just to spite an artist.

Anyway, Dr. Luke isn't going to be convicted. Guaranteed. That doesn't mean it did or didn't happen, but that's just how the system works. It's incredibly hard to prove, and that's exactly what abusers rely on.

Let's say he's not guilty. Regardless, It's obvious that there's significant irreparable turmoil in the working relationship between Kesha, Luke, and Sony. How does that get fixed?
Should she just suck it up and record six more albums which may or may not get promoted by Sony? I don't think that's the right move - for Sony, or for Kesha - but if the contract is king, that's the only option. And you can bet that when it comes time to tour, Sony will say, "Sorry. Not in the budget. Maybe next time."

So no, the contract isn't meaningless, but I think it's fair to say that it should be re-evaluated and possibly nullified.

Sony is in the position of power here. They can let her walk away. Is Kesha worth the fight for them? I don't know but I don't think so. Personally, I think she'd be better off going indie, but maybe that's what Sony is afraid of.

The whole situation is ugly. Every bit of it. And I'm sure the stuff we don't know about is even uglier.
Old 02-24-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

If I were her, I'd just do 6 albums of cover songs. Quick and easy. Get it over with.
Old 02-24-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 700 Likes on 571 Posts

Demi later retracted her statement

Demi Lovato has criticised Taylor Swift following her $250,000 donation to Kesha.

Swift has since donated a quarter of a million dollars to help with Kesha's legal fees, but her actionshave drawn sharp criticism from Demi Lovato.

“Take something to Capitol Hill or actually speak out about something and then I'll be impressed,” Lovato tweeted.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-a6888976.html

Old 02-24-16, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Demi later retracted her statement

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-a6888976.html

Taylor Swift/Demi Lovato action shave? I'm interested.
Old 02-25-16, 06:46 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Because victims of significant mental and physical abuse - especially female - have never lied to someone they don't know and will likely never meet again, to protect their abusers who have complete control over their careers, right? She lied before or she's lying now so she must be a stupid lying liar who doesn't deserve a career anyway. Case closed!
No, but there is a possibility that she is not being truthful.
Old 02-25-16, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Taylor looks like she's getting ready to slip her hand under Demi's dress and motorboat those titties.

Old 02-25-16, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What interest would Sony have in NOT promoting those 6 albums?
Old 02-26-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Taylor Swift is such a nice little boy.
Old 07-06-17, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Kesha has been freed! New single co-written by Ryan Lewis of Macklemore fame. I think it's pretty strong :

Here's an article on The Ringer on the conflict and the upcoming album
https://theringer.com/kesha-praying-...m-bbc613125aa5
Old 07-07-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard her on XM radio talking about this.

I thought she was a superficial pop star at first but she has some substance when she was talking about depression and helping others.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ession-w491374
Old 08-11-17, 12:51 PM

I've written every song on this album and they're all so personal. This record, quite literally, saved my life. I hope you guys like it and I hope you can hear it, and I hope it helps people.

- Kesha

LISTEN NOW
Old 08-12-17, 05:27 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm not even a Kesha fan, but I listened to the whole album and I like it a lot. Pretty good mix of pop and country among other genres.

It's getting good reviews across the board.
Old 08-14-17, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And she posed nude for the album cover too

Old 08-15-17, 09:32 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm in!
Old 11-17-19, 10:44 AM

Saw Kesha last night as the featured performer for the Las Vegas Rock and Roll Half Marathon event She was great. What a dynamic live performer.

She has a new album coming out in January. She performed her lead single for the first time in a show. I really liked it. Certainly more of a typical Kesha song for a lead single than "Praying" (though I love that song deeply).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.