Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Monkees' first album in 20 years, 'Good Times'

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Monkees' first album in 20 years, 'Good Times'

Old 05-02-16, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Monkees' first album in 20 years, 'Good Times'

First two songs from the album have been released. They sound pretty damn good:

She Makes Me Laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpp-Ry2ZNhY

You Bring The Summer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_D6XNpYxdU
Old 05-03-16, 01:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rivers Cuomo did a great job of really capturing that iconic Monkees sound in writing She Makes Me Laugh.
Old 05-03-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Both songs are fantastic. It's Monkees refracted through Rivers Cuomo and XTC, but it still has the chime, jangle, and melody we associate with the 60s songwriting/performing conglomerate. And I say that as a fan.

Going to the opening night show in Ft. Myers. Can't wait
Old 06-02-16, 09:57 PM

Great album. Sounds straight out of the 60s.
Old 06-02-16, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The album is really good. Like, I never expected it to be this good at all. I have gone back to the well several times over the past week. Good stuff.

Saw the opening night of the tour as well. I miss Nez. The 2012/2013 tour with him was something else, although the 45th anniversary tour (Davy's last) still had the best set list.

I think if people consider The Monkees as a musical creative entity that encompassed not only the four "members" but also the stable of songwriters and musicians developed such a rich, satisfying catalog of tunes, they'd be more highly regarded among the so-called "rock intelligentsia".

ween
Old 06-02-16, 11:16 PM

I only ever saw them on their 30th anniversary tour in 1996 with Davy, Mickey, and Peter, which was my first concert ever. I was 10.
Old 06-08-16, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i saw them in the mid 80's (pool it tour) for my first concert ever (with weird al). i was prob around 10 also.

this album does sound surprisingly good too. i really wasnt expecting that.
Old 06-11-16, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Finally got around to listening to this, and I agree with everyone, that it's a really god album with some great catchy tunes - it's like music candy. The songs do sound a lot like songs from each songwriter. The only bummer is that I wish Jones was alive to lend his voice to this album - he was definitely their best singer and had the most distinctive voice.
Old 06-11-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^I'd argue Micky was easily the best (and most versatile) singer in the group, and Mike the most distinctive, but I loved Davy. He gave The Monkees so much flavor.
Old 06-11-16, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

The Monkees Earn Highest-Charting Album Since 1968 on Billboard 200 Chart.

Hey, hey, it’s The Monkees! The veteran group nabs its highest-charting album since 1968 on the Billboard 200, as Good Times! debuts at No. 14.

The set, which is the act’s first studio album since 1996 (and first recorded without the late Davy Jones, who died in 2012), launches with 23,000 equivalent album units earned in the week ending June 2, according to Nielsen Music. Of that sum, 22,000 were in pure album sales -- the group’s biggest sales week since Nielsen Music began tracking data in 1991. (The robust number lands the set at No. 6 on the Top Album Sales chart.)

The Monkees last charted higher on the Billboard 200 back in 1968, when The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees peaked at No. 3. They previously logged five top 10s, with their first four albums all reaching No. 1 in 1966 and 1967.

The new album commemorates the 50th anniversary of the group’s formation in 1965 and the debut of its eponymous, Emmy Award-winning TV show in 1966. The set also enters at high ranks on a host of other charts, including a No. 1 bow on Tastemakers, No. 6 on Top Album Sales and No. 3 on Top Internet Albums.

The three surviving Monkees (Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork) all appear on Good Times!, as does Jones on one track, via an archival recording.

The album sports new songs written by Rivers Cuomo, Noel Gallagher, Paul Weller and Ben Gibbard. Those all-new tracks are joined by recently completed songs that date back to the 1960s, by some of the writers who penned The Monkees’ biggest hits (Neil Diamond, Carole King, Gerry Goffin, Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart).

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...bum-since-1968
Old 06-11-16, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts

22K album sales gets you all the way to #6?

That seems sad to me.
Old 06-12-16, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
22K album sales gets you all the way to #6?

That seems sad to me.
Oh more than sad. Considering that there are 323M people in the U.S. That is why, as they say, the music industry is dead.
Old 06-18-16, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
^I'd argue Micky was easily the best (and most versatile) singer in the group, and Mike the most distinctive, but I loved Davy. He gave The Monkees so much flavor.
Agreed. Micky was not only their best singer, but one of the best of his generation, and also highly underrated. If you really go back and listen to their catalog, you'll notice that on many of their songs, he's not only singing the lead, but also overdubbed for harmony, and sometimes even double harmony (or three voice) parts. You wouldn't find that same thing with Davy, Mike or Peter. The either sang lead or harmony, but rarely both on the same song.

As for the new album, it's amazingly good, and one of the best albums I've heard from anyone this year. The various bonus tracks out there - "Love's What I Want" (Japanese bonus track, also written by Andy Partridge), "Terrifiyng" (written by Zach Rogue of Rogue Wave, ITunes and Digital Download bonus track), "Me & Magdelena Version 2 (a rocked up take on the ballad presented on the album, written by Ben Gibbard of Death Cab For Cutie, also an iTunes and Digital Download bonus track) and "A Better World" (FYE exclusive bonus track, written by Peter's brother Nick) - are all as strong, if not stronger than the cuts that made the album proper. Both "Terrifying" and "Love's What I Want" will also be a bonus 45 on the Barnes & Nobel exclusive vinyl version of the album, which streets in August. You can hear all these on YouTube, too, for anyone who wants to check them out.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 06-18-16 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-11-16, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 325 Likes on 173 Posts

If you get AXS-TV on your cable, there's a Monkees concert on tonight at 9PM ET.