Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Former RAINBOW/DIO Bassist JIMMY BAIN Dead At 68

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-16, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/for...in-dead-at-68/

We've lost another one.
Old 01-24-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Re: Former RAINBOW/DIO Bassist JIMMY BAIN Dead At 68

Wow. That sucks.

Jimmy was a solid bass player and a really good songwriting partner for RJD. His songwriting contributions are often overlooked, but he was an important contributor - just as much as Vivian Campbell was.

And now, on the verge of the release of the new Last In Line album (which is supposed to be really good - and the first two songs released certainly back that up) this pretty much kills their upcoming tour, and with good reason. What was supposed to be a celebration of their time together 30+ years ago (the new album - Heavy Crown) is now going to be a tribute to Jimmy's memory.

Jimmy certainly had issues with alcohol and drugs - and at his age it's no wonder that he died if he kept that up (and, apparently, he did as he was arrested in 2012 for driving under the influence of drugs).

I was going to see Last In Line on this upcoming tour if they came anywhere near me, but now that's not going to happen. At least I can't see them continuing without Jimmy - the whole point was to have the core of the original DIO band, and without Jimmy they won't have that.

RIP, Jimmy.
Old 01-24-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

This Def Leppard cruise is cursed. First Joe Elliott is sick, affecting the performances of the main band.... now a member of one of the cruise's other bands dies, presumably on the cruise. Yikes.

I also feel bad for Viv Campbell. Guy appreciates Def Lep of course, but I know Last in Line is a passion project that likely gave him a goal for overcoming his recent cancer probs. Another derailment.

Last edited by GuessWho; 01-24-16 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-24-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jimmy also worked with Phil Lynott on his two solo albums, co-writing a handful of songs with Phil (and even playing bass on some of the tracks on Phil's 2nd solo album, The Phil Lynott Album).
Old 01-24-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
This Def Leppard cruise is cursed. First Joe Elliott is sick, affecting the performances of the main band.... now a member of one of the cruise's other bands dies, presumably on the cruise. Yikes.

I also feel bad for Viv Campbell. Guy appreciates Def Lep of course, but I know Last in Line is a passion project that likely gave him a goal for overcoming his recent cancer probs. Another derailment.
Joe Elliott is sick?
Old 01-24-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

What the shit! My band is dying
He just played 4 days ago. Death is a bitch.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XOOuSBgs-_o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by VHS?; 01-24-16 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Joe Elliott is sick?
Just laryngitis. Horrible timing when the most die hard of your die hardest fans just paid $1500+ each for the cruise. Of DL's two sets, he scratched his way through Friday's acoustic show and completely sat out yesterday's electric show. DL's Phil Collen and the cruise's opening acts' singers took turns doing DL's vocals there.
Old 01-24-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vivian Campbell, posted moments ago to Facebook
It's with the heaviest of hearts that I must confirm the news of the passing of our dear friend and Last In Line band-mate, Jimmy Bain. It was Jimmy who gave me my first big break in the music industry and for that I am forever indebted.

Jimmy's struggles with his demons were well documented through the years, but over the last 18 months he had finally won that battle and he was bright and lucid and motivated throughout the writing and recording of the new record. He leaves behind him a rich legacy of work from Rainbow, through Wild Horses, Dio, and finally, Last In Line. Jimmy was immensely proud of our new album and his input to it was immeasurable.

He was a very kind and gentle and generous soul and our lives were greatly enriched for having known him. We will continue to celebrate his life through his music.

On behalf of Vinny and Andrew, our thoughts and condolences are with his family at this most difficult of times.

Rest in peace, dear friend.
Old 01-24-16, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would have definitely gone to a show had they come here.
I'm just happy I was able to see the band Dio several times throughout the years.
If what Viv says is true, I'm happy he went out clean and sober and happy in his life finally being able to beat his demons.
Old 01-24-16, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What strikes me most about the videos of the Last In Line performance from the 20th there was just how frail and tired Jimmy looked. He was never a wild stage performer, but he always looked strong and played with aggression.

For his last show he just looked tired - like something was seriously wrong. More than just being 68 years old.

It really is hard to watch guys go from being strong and vibrant to barely able to stand up and play through an entire show. Lemmy reached that point 18 months or so ago.

At least Ronnie was able to go out on a phenomenal performance. The first song from that show is on YouTube, and he looks and sounds great. It's a shame that Jimmy was clearly not well, but at least he went out as an active musician with a solid album in the can.
Old 01-24-16, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, if you watch old shows like the Spectrum show in '84, Jimmy was high as fuck but you could see he was in the moment.
In the video from this cruise show, he looked like he would collapse at any moment.
Old 01-25-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I had a buddy on the cruise and he said it was a cluster. They canceled both ports of call as well. Everyone gets a ticket to a future show because of the issues. He won his ticket but imagines most people were really disappointed.
Old 01-25-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I was on the Def Leppard cruise this weekend (my wife's favorite band) when Jimmy died in his cabin. He passed away Saturday early evening, we didn't find out until we sat down for the Last In Line show the next day at noon. Eddie Trunk came out into the theater and delivered the sad news

Viv, Vinnie, and Andy came out and spent about half an hour remembering Jimmy, telling stories and recollections and what-not. Then they played three videos from the upcoming Last In Line album.

Later that evening, they did a tribute set for Jimmy at the pool. The Last In Line line-up was augmented by Eric Brittingham. It was a great set and a touching moment.

Also: the new Last In Line material sounds pretty fantastic. If the rest of the album holds up, it will make a fitting capper to Jimmy's career and legacy.
Old 01-25-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I had a buddy on the cruise and he said it was a cluster. They canceled both ports of call as well. Everyone gets a ticket to a future show because of the issues. He won his ticket but imagines most people were really disappointed.
It was pretty bad. Joe Elliot lost his voice so the Def Leppard performance -- the very reason for the cruise -- was cut short with a few guest singers (7 songs total). The VIP experience was curtailed with less meet-n-greet opportunities. The Freeport port-of-call occurred, but it was cold and raining the entire time. The second POC at Little San Salvador was canceled due to adverse weather conditions (a massive storm was heading our way).

The cruise line -- MSC -- is pretty terrible. We usually do Royal Caribbean, which we really enjoy. MSC is third rate at best. Terrible service.

They promised a free ticket to any future Def Leppard show to all guests. I wasn't too burnt up about it; shit happens, and Joe losing his voice and Jimmy's death are out of everyone's control. But there were organizational issues that resulted in a lot of unhappy cruisers.
Old 01-28-16, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
He passed away Saturday early evening, we didn't find out until we sat down for the Last In Line show the next day at noon. Eddie Trunk came out into the theater and delivered the sad news
Eddie making the announcement

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bqoTiW9J9bc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-28-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Wow. That's really rough.

Reminds me of how Patrick Troughton (The Second Doctor) died while he was attending a science fiction convention in Georgia.
Old 02-01-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An update just posted by Vivian Campbell to Facebook

I'm back at City of Hope this morning for another dose of the mighty 'mab.

Knowing what I now know, that Jimmy died of lung cancer, makes me realise even more just how lucky I am. Jimmy had no money and no health insurance, and as a result of that, the disease slowly ate away at him. I have insurance and access to great doctors and the best care. I'm one of the lucky ones and I continue to remain one step ahead of my Hodgie's.

It amazes me that Jimmy had X-rays for pneumonia in recent weeks, but yet no one noticed that he had chronic lung cancer. A sobering reminder that we all need to advocate for our own health.

That he remained strong to his last breath is an amazing testament to his character. Jimmy died with his boots on, doing what he loved to the end. The mighty 'mab might have saved him, if only he'd known.

"the mighty mab" = pembrolizumab
article about Viv's treatments