Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

VH1 Cancels Top 20 Countdown and all Music programming

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

VH1 Cancels Top 20 Countdown and all Music programming

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
Re: VH1 Cancels Top 20 Countdown and all Music programming

The was also a Meat Loaf movie starring the "franks and beans! franks and beans!" guy from Something About Mary.
Old 01-11-16, 05:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

There are still two MTV channels on Comcast that play videos 24 hours a day. MTV Hits (Current pop) and MTV Jams (Hip Hop and R&B) Only problem is they are not in HD yet.
Old 01-11-16, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I think a purely music oriented channel could survive in today's cable market. It would play a variety of music-themed movies, television shows, old reruns of variety shows, documentaries and of course concerts. A pure music video channel probably could not, too many kids simply go search YouTube if they want to see videos today.
Old 01-11-16, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Most cable providers have those Music Choice channels - why can't those just show videos instead of audio only?
Old 01-12-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of the songs on MC don't have music videos, so I imagine they just want to stay consistent vs flip-flopping (static screen, video, static screen, video) every other song.
Old 01-12-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Most cable providers have those Music Choice channels - why can't those just show videos instead of audio only?
Those audio channels basically rehash lists of songs culled for radio. One of the dirty secrets is that MTV started deemphasizing music videos when the labels started demanding more royalties for playing them. In the golden age that most of us associate with MTV, they were paying pennies for the rights to most music videos.
Old 01-12-16, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Music videos are still a big deal. Gangnam Style got well over a billion views on YouTube.
27 of the 30 most watched YouTube videos are music videos.

Even a relatively obscure artist such as Sia has a single music video with more than a billion views!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...YouTube_videos
Old 01-12-16, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
If something is still from vhs source the picture quality will still be low quality whether its on youtube or vh1.

Honestly though if you need to know what most popular songs are you could just click a button or 2 on youtubes mainpage and get a playlist of most watched recent videos that would be pretty similiar to whatever 20 songs vh1 had for their top 20 countdown.

Basically the reason for a sitcom rerun is because someone surfing their tv channels and seeing an old sitcom is more like to go "hey i remember that" and continue watching an old Martin or Boy Meets World rerun then an old Cyndi Lauper or Duran Duran video.
No TV station has ever used VHS.
Old 01-12-16, 02:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's been odd to see the evolution of VH1 as a channel. Originally meant to be an adult version of MTV as people got older and hit younger middle age, it then moved further and further into reality programming. At first it wasn't entirely bad, as their reality content often had a focus on music or the music industry. They even flirted with original scripted content.

Then it started slipping into the gutter with much trashier reality fare, mostly aimed at minority audiences.

The brand probably doesn't have any value left to people younger than 30, which is why they are struggling to figure out their next direction.
Every commercial TV cable station that starts out with he purpose of showing a specific kind of programming will eventually dumb down its content away from its original purpose. Cartoon Network used to be only for classic cartoons, but now it's almost all newer stuff. The Travel channel is now the Gambling channel. Arts & Entertainment stopped being that a long time ago. TV Land started airing Just Shoot Me. The Discovery channel has "documentaries" on ghosts.

Last edited by grundle; 01-12-16 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-12-16, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Do kids not play TV in the background anymore?

When I was a kid, MTV was always on if we weren't actually watching a movie or a TV show. If an interesting video came on, we would watch it. If a video that sucked came on or a song we didn't like, we would suffer through it and wait for the next one because you never knew what you were going to see or hear next. That was part of the fun.
Apparently not. I know a guy who turned 21 last year, and he wanted to watch some live thing on TV that wasn't available online. He had to make several calls to find someone who even had TV service. It seems the under-25 crowd uses online streaming almost exclusively; while many under-25ers may own 50" TV sets, those are mostly for video game consoles and\or Netflix. They don't see the point in paying for expensive cable TV, and there's not enough to interest them on broadcast TV to invest in an antenna.

I grew up in a house where the TV was on from 8AM to 1AM, every day, even if no one was watching it. I was like that myself for several years after I moved out on my own. It doesn't bother me now to have the TV turned off, though.

What *does* drive me crazy, though, are people who constantly turn their TVs on and off. I visited some friends of mine a few months ago, and they drove me insane with that: my friend was like "oh, here's a funny YouTube video I want you to see", and he turns the TV on and sets up his Chromecast for it. We watch the video, and he turns the TV off. 15 minutes later, someone mentions a music video, and my friend turns the TV on and sets up his Chromecast for it. We watch the video, and he turns the TV off. 15 minutes after that, we start talking about European TV (the friends live in Europe). My friend turns the TV on and goes through some of the nuttier foreign-language channels. He then turns the TV off. 20 minutes later, someone suggests that we play the Chromecast version of You Don't Know Jack: my friend turns the TV on, sets up the game, we play it, and he turns the TV off. We eat dinner (take-out, not a formal "meal"), and my friend turns on the TV to watch the end of a NFL game during dinner. He then turns the TV off. 10 minutes after that we decide to watch a movie... so he has to turn the TV on and configure it for the Blu-Ray player...

And VH-1 will have my scorn for the foreseeable future for renewing, then cancelling, Hindsight. It wasn't Emmy-worthy, life-changing TV. But it was a fun show, and the first TV show that made me realize that, despite all the nostalgia I had for high school back in the 80s, I actually became a "real adult" in the 90s, with college and checking accounts and bills and nightclubs and whatnot. Besides, even without that, Hindsight was still better than most anything else on that shitty network.

Last edited by Rex Fenestrarum; 01-14-16 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-13-16, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Hindsight got caught with the network changing directions. It probably would have been renewed if VH1 wasn't reforming itself. I could see the channel getting a name change very soon.
Old 01-13-16, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think Hindsight got caught with the network changing directions. It probably would have been renewed if VH1 wasn't reforming itself. I could see the channel getting a name change very soon.
Hindsight was great. I hate that it got cancelled. I know people who work for Viacom companies and they are not running music videos anymore because people aren't watching. The scripted reality and scripted shows draw in more viewers.
Old 01-17-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
The Discovery channel has "documentaries" on ghosts.
Discovery channel used to have great stuff like Firepower. Now I never watch it. I liked History Channel's Engineering an Empire but they stopped producting stuff like that.
Old 01-17-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hawk
Even Eddie Trunk doesn't know when That Metal Show's coming back only the people at VH1 Classic know and they're not talking.
Is there some reason to believe it's been canceled or on unofficial hiatus?
Old 01-18-16, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by randian
Is there some reason to believe it's been canceled or on unofficial hiatus?
No. It's like this between every season with no official word. VH1C usually just decides to start a new season a month or so before it begins.
Old 01-18-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
No. It's like this between every season with no official word. VH1C usually just decides to start a new season a month or so before it begins.
How do they manage to schedule Eddie and the guests with so little lead time? No wonder they have problems getting some of the guests they want.
Old 01-18-16, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I want to know is where can I watch Rock N Roll Jeopardy. Damn I miss that show!!
Old 01-19-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

From Jim Florentine:

VH1 has decided against producing any more episodes of "That Metal Show", the hard rock/heavy metal talk show hosted by Eddie Trunk, Don Jamieson and Jim Florentine with Jennifer Ms Box Of Junk.
Trunk, Jamieson, and Florentine said in a statement: "It has been an incredible run of eight years, roughly 125 episodes and some really cool specials. "The global response to 'That Metal Show' has been simply amazing, and we will be eternally grateful for the support from the rock and metal fans that have showed us so much love. We truly would have never made it as long as we did without you! A huge thanks also to the great crews we had over the years both in New York City and Los Angeles, to our producer Jeff Baumgardner, and to all the executives at VH1. And finally, thanks to the hundreds of artists that joined us on our set, had fun with us, shared their stories and many, many laughs. From the biggest names in rock history, to the up-and-comers: we thank you all for being a part of it. "Of course we very much want to keep 'That Metal Show' alive, and with the blessing of VH1 Classic, we've got the keys to the show and are currently searching for a new home. We're not sure where we'll land, but we hope to be back in our studio and your living rooms as soon as possible. In the meantime, keep an eye out for us on the road and come say, 'Hello.' "Thank you for watching all these years, and we'll keep you posted as soon as we have news to share."
Old 01-19-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

No big loss. Couldn't stand Florentine and Jamieson.
Old 01-19-16, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Ditto. the only loss of measure is Jennifer, especially her entrance.
Old 01-19-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I realize the show was starting to wear thin, but I still watched every week. As a late 70s-early 90s fans of the genre of music I really enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed the latter half of the show with "Stump the Trunk" and the Throw down. I will miss it.
Old 01-19-16, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Phodg
Same here, especially Jamieson. Annoying shithead.
Old 01-19-16, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://eddietrunk.com/119-def-leppar...s-update-more/

January 19, 2016 By Eddie

It’s been a crazy day indeed since I posted the news on VH1’s decision to discontinue new episodes of That Metal Show. So much so this site crashed from the traffic! I can’t thank everyone enough for their kind words of support. I heard from a tremendous amount of fans and many artists. It really means a lot so thanks!

Many fans are tossing out network suggestions. I get it. I’d love to be on any of them. But it’s not that easy. The network has to want a show like this and feel it fits. It is not as easy as just saying “lets just go to____”. Any and all options are being explored. Your support and letting these networks know you want the show doesn’t hurt either.

This was all not a surprise to me and we have been trying to make a new home for TMS for a little while now. It was important to let you guys know what was up because it was the right thing to do at this time. As loyal fans you needed to know the deal.

I have no idea what the plans are for VH1 Classic as a channel. I have been a part of that channel as a host since 2002. But many of the execs that I worked with are now gone. So I am out of the loop at the moment on what they are doing. But they gave me a TV home for 13 + years and for that I am grateful!

As soon as there is news to share I’ll let you know. Thank you all!
Old 01-20-16, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Originally Posted by Phodg
Originally Posted by islandclaws
Same here, especially Jamieson. Annoying shithead.
I was surprised to find out they were both stand-up comedians. I can't think of anything even remotely funny either one has said.
Old 01-20-16, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I have been a part of that channel as a host since 2002. But many of the execs that I worked with are now gone. So I am out of the loop at the moment on what they are doing.
Probably deciding what are the best times to air Martin and My Wife and Kids reruns.

Please somebody punch these executives or light them with gasoline since they don't belong on this earth!

No music on VH1 and no nudity in Playboy the Apocalypse is here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.