Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Lemmy - Dead at 70

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: Lemmy - Dead at 70

Old 12-30-15, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VHS?
Just reading that. He barely got 2 days!
Probably was something else (who knows with him as he was sick already). Just bad timing on the diagnosis.
Old 12-30-15, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by BearFan
Fucking George Lucas can't leave well enough alone.
Old 12-30-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by emanon
This thread is not a thread until SkullOrchard has posted in it.
I guess I need to update my super awesome Lemmy Isn't Dead tribute poem.

First Phil, now Lemmy. Only 46 days apart.

I've been a fan since early 1981. Mostly of the classic trio of Lemmy/Phil/Fast Eddie.

RIP, boys. \m/
Old 12-30-15, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

RIP Lemmy
Old 01-07-16, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Lemmy's funeral to be live streamed on YouTube

Details of Ian “Lemmy” Kilmister’s funeral have been announced, and everyone is invited to watch it online. The legendary Motörhead frontman, who died on 28 December 2015, will have his funeral, in Hollywood, live streamed on YouTube on Saturday 9 January.

According to a Facebook statement from the band, friends and family are invited to attend a ceremony at Forest Lawn Memorial Cemetery in Hollywood, Los Angeles. But the band have asked fans to refrain from visiting – instead they have arranged for YouTube to show the ceremony via a live stream (which can be accessed here). The stream will run from 3pm PST to 4.30pm PST (11pm GMT to 12.30am GMT).

“We want you ALL to be a part of this memorial service,” wrote the band. “So wherever you are, PLEASE get together and watch with fellow Motörheadbangers and friends. GO to your favorite bar, or your favorite club, make sure they have access to an internet connection and toast along with us. Or simply invite your pals around and celebrate Lemm’s life at home.”
They added: “Whatever your venue, and however you can, let’s be sure to gather globally on Saturday 9th and celebrate the life of our dear friend and irreplaceable icon.”

As well as the livestream, there will be a day-long celebration of Kilmister’s life at Rainbow Bar and Grill in Los Angeles. The rocker’s favourite bar had originally scheduled a 12-hour memorial service from 2pm PST, but demand was so high that this has now been extended down the Sunset Strip. The Roxy and the Whisky will now also be open to fans while the Rainbow hosts its own private service between 5pm and 9pm PST.

Kilmister died from an aggressive form of cancer at the age of 70.
Old 01-09-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Starts in 10 minutes...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qSAXVdIj6jY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-29-16, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Thought I would pass this along, from nypost.com:

Lemmy’s life took sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll to the next level

When rock icon Lemmy was fired from the psychedelic UK band Hawkwind in 1975 for a series of troubling incidents — including almost missing a gig in order to hook up with a groupie in Chicago because she had crystal meth, and getting arrested at the Canadian border for possessing speed — he was so upset and angry, he wanted payback.

So he decided to seduce his bandmates’ wives and girlfriends.

“I got my revenge,” Lemmy, who died in 2015 at age 70, told rock interviewer Wall in a raucous tale of his life of excess (“Lemmy: The Definitive Biography” by Mick Wall).

I came home and f−−−ed all their old ladies. I made sure of [bandmates] Simon King and Alan Powell’s first. Alan Powell has still never forgiven me. And I hope he never will, cos there was a lot of malice involved, and I really meant every f−−−ing minute of it.”

For the uninitiated, Lemmy — born Ian Fraser Kilmister in the UK on Christmas Eve 1945 — led the legendary hard-rock band Motorhead, best known for the 1980 classic “Ace of Spades.”

But like fellow heavy metal icon Ozzy Osbourne, Lemmy built a legend larger than his music. Known for his skull-and-crossbones cavalry hat and the ever-present Jack and Cokes that caused Food & Beverage Magazine to rebrand the drink “The Lemmy” upon his death, Lemmy lived for music, sex and speed (his drug of choice) — and all else fell by the wayside.

Much of the book is based on extensive conversations Wall had with Lemmy over the years, a smart approach, as the rocker’s personality shines through in every quote. Wall refers to him as “a Great British eccentric,” noting that he was “beloved of strangers and yet a stranger to” many of his real friends.

Lemmy, who wore one pair of black pants for 25 years, was an unabashed speed freak until his final days. In the 1970s, when (false) rumors spread that Keith Richards had had his blood drained and replaced with newer, healthier blood, Lemmy’s manager reportedly considered the same procedure for his client.

According to Lemmy, they took him to a doctor, who found his blood so awash in drugs, he was told not to mess with it.

“He took a blood test,” Lemmy said. “We went back a week later for the results and he said, ‘Whatever you do, don’t give him whole blood, it will probably kill him!’ My blood at the time had evolved into some sort of organic soup — all kinds of trace elements in it.” (For the record, while Lemmy told this story many times over the years, his manager denied it.)

Lemmy’s parents split shortly after his birth for reasons he never learned. He only met his father once, when he was 25 and already a speed-sniffing rocker.

“They met at a pizza parlor around the corner from Lemmy’s squat,” Wall writes, saying that Lemmy asked his father for money to buy an amplifier, and the man offered to pay for driving lessons instead.

“He offered to pay for a course for me to become a [traveling salesman],” Lemmy said. “I said, ‘It’s a good thing the pizza hasn’t arrived yet, it’d be your new f−−−ing hat,’ and I walked out. I never saw him again.”

Lemmy shunned relationships almost completely. He claimed to have slept with between 1,000 and 2,000 women, and one in the late ’60s, named Tracey, angered Lemmy by informing him she was pregnant, causing him to storm off.

He next saw her six years later, when they coincidentally showed up at the same coke dealer’s apartment. She later brought her son, Paul Inder, to see Lemmy play, and while Paul sat on stage, beyond excited watching his dad, the rock star wouldn’t acknowledge him.

“Have you ever changed a diaper,” Lemmy once said. “It’s rotten. As a lifestyle, it sucks. I could never imagine looking at the same face over the cornflakes for the rest of my life. I don’t know how people do it.”

Starting out in the mid-1960s, Lemmy found some early success with a goofy band called the Rockin’ Vicars, in which he routinely hit his bandmates in the face with custard pies on stage. The Rockin’ Vicars had a No. 1 hit in Finland with a cover of Neil Sedaka’s “I Go Ape.”

Otherwise, the band was not going to make Lemmy a rock star. But it was during this period that he first saw Jimi Hendrix play, on a tour that, strangely, also included Cat Stevens and Engelbert Humperdinck. He left the Rockin’ Vicars soon after, and was hired as a roadie for Hendrix, carrying his gear and procuring his drugs.

Lemmy spent a few years as a drug dealer, selling downers on the streets of London. In 1971, he joined the performance collective Hawkwind. Thought of by many at the time as a “poor man’s Pink Floyd,” the band had a minor hit in 1972, reaching No. 3 on the UK charts with the song “Silver Machine.”

Lemmy’s 1975 firing from the band left him in tears, devastated (before enacting his sexual revenge). His managers urged him to form a new group, but he just moped around for weeks.

Prior business arrangements meant the band was still paying Lemmy weekly, so his management put out a press release saying he had formed a new group. He had wanted to call his new band Bastard, but his managers, thinking the name would kill opportunities, ignored him, announcing instead that it would be called Motorhead, after the last song Lemmy had written for Hawkwind. Lemmy accepted the name and cycled through a few band members before meeting a drummer, the fellow speed freak and “former skinhead and Leeds United football hooligan” Phil Taylor.

“Phil had become acquainted with Lemmy via the Hells Angels, who they both enjoyed the hospitality of, living in various squats around West London, [as well as through] dealing and scoring,” writes Wall.

The two stayed up for several days straight, high on speed, just before Christmas 1975. One morning Taylor “ran outside into the garden, completely naked, and began bouncing around bashing at things, making a terrible row. When [people in nearby houses looked out], he looked up at them and screamed, ‘It’s all right! I’m on drugs!’ ”

Later that day, Lemmy asked Taylor to take a turn on the drums, and a band was born. His antics aside, Taylor — whom Lemmy would christen “Philthy Animal” — was an accomplished musician whose double-bass technique would come to influence metal bands from Metallica on down. Fast Eddie Clarke joined on guitar soon after, and Motorhead’s classic lineup was born.

Over the next four years, the band would have three Top 10 singles and six Top 30 albums, including two Top 10s and a No. 1, and their 1980 hit “Ace of Spades” became one of the genre’s defining anthems. He also relocated from London to LA in 1990, living there for the rest of his life.

By the mid-’80s, Motorhead had peaked. Lemmy would lead the band for the rest of his life — the last album, “Bad Magic,” was released four months before his death — but less as an artist than as an icon.

Running the band with various lineups, Lemmy never stopped drinking, drugging and being Lemmy to the fullest, even in the face of type 2 diabetes toward the end.

A friend of his named Morat told of a conversation he had with the icon about his speed use in his final days.

“I asked him about it towards the end,” Morat said. “I said, ‘I’m glad you stopped doing that,’ and he said, ‘No, no! I haven’t stopped doing that. I just do less of it.’ I said, ‘Why are you still doing it?’ and he said, ‘Because it makes me happy.’ ”

http://nypost.com/2016/11/27/lemmys-...he-next-level/
Old 11-30-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The fact that Lemmy lived to 70 is truly a remarkable achievement
Old 08-10-17, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

From washingtonpost.com

Meet the brutally violent prehistoric crocodile named for Motorhead’s Lemmy Kilmister

Much like Motorhead’s Lemmy Kilmister, this crocodile “ain’t no nice guy.”

Recently, scientists at the Natural History Museum in London were studying the fossil of a sea crocodile that terrorized coastal Europe some 164 million years ago, when they noticed something was wrong. The fossil was misclassified and had been for more than a century, ever since it was dug up from a quarry near Peterborough, England, the museum said in a news release.

They had a new species on their hands, and it needed a name. The creature’s brash, aggressive nature brought to mind the hell-raising British heavy metal band Motorhead, known for songs such as “Killed By Death,” “Born to Raise Hell,” “God Was Never On Your Side” and “I Ain’t No Nice Guy.”

So they named it Lemmysuchus obtusidens after the band’s hard-living founder and singer, Lemmy Kilmister, who reportedly consumed a bottle of Jack Daniels a day. He died of cancer in 2015.

The renaming was published this week in the Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society.

The prehistoric monster was partial to shelled prey that other predators tended to ignore, such as sea turtles. To that end, it had enormous blunt teeth to crush through that hard surface and get to the vulnerable, quivering meat underneath.

It also had some heft behind that crowded mouthful of teeth.

“With a metre-long skull and a total length of 5.8 metres, it would have been one of the biggest coastal predators of its time,” University of Edinburgh paleontologist Michela Johnson said in a news release.

A paleoartist’s rendition of what it probably looked like showed a positively alien creature, something that looks like a cross between a demon and a crocodile. It begins with a long snout full of those flat chompers and ends in spiked tail.

Frankly, it looks like something Motorhead’s Kilmister would have written a song about.

If anything defined Kilmister, it was living a hard rock-and-roll lifestyle.

He usually wore a black cowboy hat adorned with a skull and crossed swords. Long black hair and bushy sideburns spread wildly from under it. For most of his life, his face was covered by a mustache that snaked down either side of the mouth.

Black denim and leather were his fabrics of choice, often accented by German and Nazi memorabilia.

If he wasn’t rocking out on stage, he generally had a drink — or something heavier — in his hand.

As The Washington Post’s Justin Wm. Moyer wrote, “The drugs were ubiquitous enough to not merit mention. Asked in 2008 what songs were inspired by substance use, Lemmy said: ‘All of them.’”

“It was not a facade, not an act,” Greg Olliver, co-director of “Lemmy,” a documentary about the rocker, told Moyer. “He would walk around his house in tight jeans with a bullet belt, a rock show belt. There was no Lemmy in sweatpants.”

Lemmy and the fierce crocodile were truly a match for the ages.

“Although Lemmy passed away at the end of 2015, we’d like to think that he would have raised a glass to Lemmysuchus, one of the nastiest sea creatures to have ever inhabited the Earth,” London Natural History Museum curator Lorna Steel said in a news release.

Motorhead isn’t the first rock band to find itself referenced in the wide world of science. Earlier this year, scientists named a shrimp that kills its prey by snapping an enlarged claw and creating an overwhelming booming sound. They chose to call it Synalpheus pinkfloydi after British rockers Pink Floyd.

The same scientist behind that inspired name had previously named another shrimp after Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger, the Elephantis jaggerai.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.863f071cb623