Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dream Theater: Great Northern Empire or Ravenskill Rebel Militia (double album?) 2016

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Dream Theater: Great Northern Empire or Ravenskill Rebel Militia (double album?) 2016

Old 08-24-16, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: Dream Theater: Great Northern Empire or Ravenskill Rebel Militia (double album?)

I'm torn.... Dream Theater is finally coming to Louisville! I had a couple 5th row tickets in my cart during the pre-sale and passed. I want to support them finally coming to Louisville but I can't support "The Astonishing." I've seen them probably 5 times, but I just can't imagine sitting through that album live.

I popped in disc one again the other day to give it another shot. I made it through 3-4 tracks before shutting it off.

I appreciate the ambition, but it's just not good.
Old 08-25-16, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: Dream Theater: Great Northern Empire or Ravenskill Rebel Militia (double album?)

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm torn.... Dream Theater is finally coming to Louisville! I had a couple 5th row tickets in my cart during the pre-sale and passed. I want to support them finally coming to Louisville but I can't support "The Astonishing." I've seen them probably 5 times, but I just can't imagine sitting through that album live.

I popped in disc one again the other day to give it another shot. I made it through 3-4 tracks before shutting it off.

I appreciate the ambition, but it's just not good.
I saw the tour. They play the album and absolutely nothing else. They really think they've got something special in this. Too bad it's mostly just a bloated turd.

Also, they were downright nazi-esque in enforcing their "no photography" policy. I've been to Vegas shows that do that, but they try to be entertaining about it. We got a fat, bald roadie screaming at people from in front of the stage before the show started, threatening to drag people out of the theater for taking a pic of the stage before the show started. This, of course, encourages smart asses to take his picture. Really thought we were going to get some violence out of this asshole.

Yes, I have to admit it was nice to watch a phone-free show again, but there had to be a better way of dealing with this.
Old 08-25-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Well at least they got it out of their system. Hopefully they'll never, ever try and album like this again.
Old 08-27-16, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I wouldn't go that far. I love me some concept albums, but this one was clearly a misfire.
Old 07-27-17, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Well at least they got it out of their system. Hopefully they'll never, ever try and album like this again.
Just saw they're coming back to town to "celebrate the 25th anniversary of Images & Words. The tour will feature the album in it's entirety, along with fan favorites."

Maybe they learned their lesson. The date is inconvenient for me, so I won't be going but I would love to know if they're going to treat the audience like shit again.
Old 07-28-17, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Just got my tickets for the Chicago show.

I'm not one to live in the past and I've liked everything they've done....until Astonishing. I recently went through the whole DT catalog and I still couldn't bring myself to listen to Astonishing again. I think had they found a way to condense into a 60-70 minute album it might have worked, but I think they were hellbent on presenting it over 2.5 hours live.