Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

David Bowie -- "Blackstar" -- January 8, 2016 -- New Album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

David Bowie -- "Blackstar" -- January 8, 2016 -- New Album

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: David Bowie -- "Blackstar" -- January 8, 2016 -- New Album

Things had been hectic, and I hadn't had a chance to give Blackstar a spin. I obviously made time today, what a haunting, beautiful, sad, brilliant, work of art. It is hitting me hard. RIP
Old 01-11-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I hope they repress the shit out of it!
Old 01-11-16, 01:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 856 Posts

Damn, sad news. Wife told me about it this morning. I haven't had a chance to listen to the album yet, due to being so busy.

Damn.
Old 01-11-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I hope they repress the shit out of it!
Why? Blackstar on clear vinyl was available to anyone who wanted it until yesterday. I ordered mine in November. There are plenty of black vinyl copies available.

I haven't received it yet and have avoided listening to it before it comes. It should be waiting for me when I get home and I shall dim the lights and immerse myself in it tonight.

Old 01-11-16, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sure. i ordered it in Novemebr too. But in this instance I just wouldn't mind seeing the scalpers get Fucked.
Old 01-11-16, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 281 Likes on 212 Posts

Sat down and listened to it on Saturday, very happy to hearing a new Bowie album. Like all of you, hearing the news today and with the added context of the album, heard it again today, and will be listening to it a lot more in the coming days.
Old 01-12-16, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I received my B&N copy of Blackstar yesterday via Lasership (wtf is that?).

Anyway, I open the box in great anticipation using the pull tab. I pull the record out and there is a slice right in the area of the star through the shrink wrap and scratching the plastic inside the star. I do not believe it went through to the vinyl.

Question for those who have it. Does the plastic cover in the star come out or is attached to the cardboard sleeve? I haven't opened it yet because I was too bummed out and disgusted. I am hoping to be able to flip the plastic so you don't see the scratch.

I was really looking forward to paying tribute to Bowie by listening to Blackstar last night. I still have no listened to it except for the two released singles.
Old 01-12-16, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I received my B&N copy of Blackstar yesterday via Lasership (wtf is that?).

Anyway, I open the box in great anticipation using the pull tab. I pull the record out and there is a slice right in the area of the star through the shrink wrap and scratching the plastic inside the star. I do not believe it went through to the vinyl.

Question for those who have it. Does the plastic cover in the star come out or is attached to the cardboard sleeve? I haven't opened it yet because I was too bummed out and disgusted. I am hoping to be able to flip the plastic so you don't see the scratch.

I was really looking forward to paying tribute to Bowie by listening to Blackstar last night. I still have no listened to it except for the two released singles.
I didn't get it yet, but I saw an unboxing video on youtube and it looks like the record comes with a plastic inner sleeve instead of a paper sleeve. The plastic you are referring to I believe is the sleeve, so it will come out and you can put it back in with the scratch facing back.
Old 01-12-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Good. It's really thick too so I don't think the scratch/slice made it through.

Lame that B&N sent it that way. Box was untouched so it went into the box damaged.
Old 01-12-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I listened to "Blackstar" this morning while dropping off my son at school. On the way home, I hear the second verse: "Something happened on the day he died/Spirit rose a meter then stepped aside". I started to cry and had to turn it off. I am surprised at how emotional this loss has made me. He was so much more than just a singer/songwriter/musician. A true artist with every fiber of his being, right up until the end.
Old 01-12-16, 07:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

CRM, my Blackstar vinyl was also slightly damaged (dent in the bottom right, creases along the edges). I was a bit annoyed but decided to not bother with trying to do exchanges. I have a feeling B&N will just send me more damaged copies.
Old 01-12-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jippy
I listened to "Blackstar" this morning while dropping off my son at school. On the way home, I hear the second verse: "Something happened on the day he died/Spirit rose a meter then stepped aside". I started to cry and had to turn it off. I am surprised at how emotional this loss has made me. He was so much more than just a singer/songwriter/musician. A true artist with every fiber of his being, right up until the end.
My friends, and I all agreed that for us, Bowie was someone we respected, and appreciated, but never sought out. Oddly, his death has had a big impact on all of us.
Old 01-12-16, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,945 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
CRM, my Blackstar vinyl was also slightly damaged (dent in the bottom right, creases along the edges). I was a bit annoyed but decided to not bother with trying to do exchanges. I have a feeling B&N will just send me more damaged copies.
Yeah, that's the truth.

B&N, like most other online retailers, don't give a shit about getting your merchandise to you in near mint condition. It either gets beat up in the warehouse or improperly packaged for mailing.
Old 01-13-16, 02:02 AM
Banned by request

Also at this point, it would be more financially prudent of me to sell my damaged copy for $500 and then order another copy at the regular price when they come back in stock and the mania dies down.
Old 01-13-16, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The clear vinyl version won't come back in stock, will it?

I sent an email to B&N and never got a reply.
Old 01-13-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

5000 is a lot in my opinion. Barnes And Noble has 647 stores according to Wikipedia. I haven't heard of their being more than 3-4 at any BN. Bowie's site got some. I wouldn't be surprised if more are in transit, warehouses or even still to be pressed. Countless times I have seen panic about limited releases, then more show up. Not talking just records either.
Old 01-13-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

5000 is a lot for someone not of the worldwide popularity of David Bowie. This was an American release as well so a bunch are being sent overseas for resale. I'm betting they sold half of that lot online in pre-orders.
Old 01-13-16, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've listened to this album so much since I picked it up Friday, at least a couple times a day.

The transition from Dollar Days to the final track has become such an emotional moment. It feels like a new beginning, and very uplifting musically while the words are a bit darker in tone.

What an amazing final gift he's left us.
Old 01-13-16, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, that transition is aces.
Old 01-13-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still have not listened to Blackstar. I can't get myself to do it.
Old 01-13-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have not listened to Blackstar. I can't get myself to do it.
I did much better with it last night. It really is a masterpiece. I'm beyond impressed with how this whole thing was handled. It demonstrates what an absolute master showman he really was. He definitely can say he went out on his own terms without a hint of bitterness or regret. It's hard to really digest what he was able to accomplish in 69 years.
Old 01-13-16, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've watched the video for Blackstar and what I find amazing is Bowie's unbowed dedication to the avant-garde and just bizarre song structures, imagery, and music. I mean, what the hell time signature is the beginning of Blackstar in?
Old 01-13-16, 03:02 PM
Banned by request

The clear vinyl version won't come back in stock, will it?

I sent an email to B&N and never got a reply.
If I actually chose to sell my copy for $500, I'd be fine getting a black vinyl version to replace it.

But it was the first thing I listened to after I learned of Bowie's passing, so now it's worth much more than $500 to me. Dings and all.
Old 01-14-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Those prices will settle. I see a lot posted for ludicrous amounts but is anyone buying them?

I looked at Blackstar last night, still in the shrink, and couldn't invest the emotions. I need to listen to it alone and loud.

I listened to hours... instead. That record gets a bad rap.
Old 01-14-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by dave94
I've listened to this album so much since I picked it up Friday, at least a couple times a day.

The transition from Dollar Days to the final track has become such an emotional moment. It feels like a new beginning, and very uplifting musically while the words are a bit darker in tone.

What an amazing final gift he's left us.
This.

I've listened to it about 8 times already and I haven't heard anything else this mesmerizing for a long time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.