Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

music regrets

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 08:34 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: music regrets

Originally Posted by ytrez
Not seeing the Ramones live.
I saw them, I think in 1985. I didn't think they were that great, frankly.
Old 10-06-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Not a personal regret, but a genetic regret:

My mom was in her 20s when she saw THE BEATLES at Shea Stadium in 1965. She went with her Womens group... and left promptly a few songs into the show, because she couldn't hear a thing above the incessant shrieking from the girls around her.

She left. A Beatles concert. She left...

*weeps incessantly*
Old 10-06-15, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

My mom was in her 20s when she saw THE BEATLES at Shea Stadium in 1965. She went with her Womens group... and left promptly a few songs into the show, because she couldn't hear a thing above the incessant shrieking from the girls around her.

*weeps incessantly*
I wouldn't really call that a Beatles concert. Just some dudes you can barely see or hear way out in the distance. And they only played a few more songs after she left - she didn't miss anything.
Old 10-06-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I saw them around that time too. My glasses got knocked off my face literally within seconds of the opening song. Utterly destroyed. I have no opinion on whether they were "great" or not - they were the Ramones.

The opening act was a pop band naively booked by some idiotic promoter. A drunk Ramones fan (undoubtedly from Jersey) threw a bottle at the lead singers' head and hit her right in the face. She finished the song with blood streaming and then left the stage. Good times.
Old 10-06-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I wouldn't really call that a Beatles concert. Just some dudes you can barely see or hear way out in the distance. And they only played a few more songs after she left - she didn't miss anything.
I weep not for the musical experience -- they were admittedly "not good" live, mostly because they could barely hear themselves -- but just to be in that rarefied air of those who saw the Fabs perform live.
Old 10-06-15, 03:11 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I saw them around that time too. My glasses got knocked off my face literally within seconds of the opening song. Utterly destroyed. I have no opinion on whether they were "great" or not - they were the Ramones.

The opening act was a pop band naively booked by some idiotic promoter. A drunk Ramones fan (undoubtedly from Jersey) threw a bottle at the lead singers' head and hit her right in the face. She finished the song with blood streaming and then left the stage. Good times.
Man, punk shows are so much more sedate these days, aren't they?
Old 10-06-15, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got one: I had tix to the Metal Gods tour in 2008 that had Judas Priest, Heaven and Hell, Motorhead and Testament, but my dumbass buddy asked for the wrong Thursday off and I couldn't find a replacement, so I had to skip. ":'(
Old 10-06-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the ticket two months prior and got stuck on guard duty that night. I could have paid a guy to take my post for me and I don't know why I didn't. I still have the ticket.

Old 10-07-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

^We were stationed in Germany at the same time.
Old 10-07-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw them a bunch of times in the 70s at CBGBs. They were that great. I remember the first time, Joey started to talk and DEE DEE just screamed out 1 2 3 4 and off they went. There was no one like them at that time.
Old 10-08-15, 04:59 AM

Skipping seeing Amy Winehouse in a small venue before she got really famous.

Skipping the At The Drive-In reunion concert for a date.

Skipping the Necrophagist concert for a date.

Skipping the Lamb of God concert in a small vanue for a date. (I never skip concerts anymore for dates, I've learned that much)

Having a ticket offered to me to see the original Guns N' Roses for free, but my parents thought I was too young.

My parents wouldn't take me to the Michael Jackson concert, because I was too young. Had tickets to see his comeback in London, but he died.
Old 10-08-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
I've got one: I had tix to the Metal Gods tour in 2008 that had Judas Priest, Heaven and Hell, Motorhead and Testament, but my dumbass buddy asked for the wrong Thursday off and I couldn't find a replacement, so I had to skip. ":'(
Didn't want to go alone?
Old 10-09-15, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 912 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally
Not that I ever had a chance, but not seeing Frank Sinatra live. (I don't even know when he stopped performing, but I would have been somewhere in kid-dom before my license, so it's just a regret.)
Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Depending on your age, don't feel bad. I saw him in Atlanta the day before Super Bowl XXVIII in 1994, and it was sad. I was sitting in the corner to his left, about 3/4 of the way up (in The Omni, a 20,000 seat arena) and I could easily read his teleprompter from my seat. And I have terrible eyesight. And the poor guy still forgot the lyrics a couple times, and generally seemed to have no idea where he was. I seem to remember (but could be making this up) the teleprompter even said "ATLANTA" in huge, flashing letters when he talked to the crowd between songs. His voice was still pretty good - nowhere near his prime, of course - but it was just so sad to see an icon of American entertainment look so completely lost on stage. At the end of the show, he thanked us for being "the best audience ever". Normally you'd just think that's something all artists say, and they said that to the audience before you and will say it to the audience after you. But in this case, I really think it brought a tear to most people's eyes.
I saw him in Cincinnati in 1994. Other than being able to say, "I saw Sinatra live," it wasn't that big a deal. Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan and own dozens of his records, but he was really headed downhill by then. He had to use a teleprompter for the lyrics and still got a bunch wrong. He couldn't hit a lot of notes anymore, that sort of stuff.
They've had a few.
Old 10-09-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

*weeps incessantly*
I think they only played for half an hour. Also, this show of course convinced the Beatles to become a studio-only project afterwards. John in particular hated the show. Perhaps your mother was being a more true fan of the music. Certainly the Beatles themselves would have agreed with her attitude about that show. Famous as an event, absolutely terrible as a rock show.
Old 10-09-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Didn't want to go alone?
He was my ride and I couldn't get another on short notice. I wasn't driving at the time. Believe me, I tried.
Old 10-09-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I almost had a music regret last night. I really wanted to go see Paul Weller in LA (who's lead guitarist is one of my favorite guitar players) and I almost didn't because I couldn't find anyone to go with me. Weekday, late night, far away, etc. I bit the bullet and went by myself. Got close to the stage, right in front of the guitarist, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. So fucking glad I went, even by myself.
Old 10-09-15, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I almost had a music regret last night. I really wanted to go see Paul Weller in LA (who's lead guitarist is one of my favorite guitar players) and I almost didn't because I couldn't find anyone to go with me. Weekday, late night, far away, etc. I bit the bullet and went by myself. Got close to the stage, right in front of the guitarist, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. So fucking glad I went, even by myself.
That's awesome. Weller is on my short list of favorite artists that I've never seen live.
Old 10-11-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by emanon
They've had a few.

Yeah, I would have been 20-21 seeing him in 94. I wonder what 2-3 years prior when I was 18 would have meant, in terms of his performance.

Anyway, I'm sure things were going downhill for a bit. I just remember some of the live bootlegs I have and how great he was. Especially with Dean Martin when they were both just shitfaced. The banter between them, or each of them and the crowd, was awesome! That's really when I'd have loved to have seen him. But alas, I would have been a toddler and wouldn't have gotten that much out of the show. Timing's everything.
Old 10-11-15, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

My most recent musical regret was not seeing STP and Chester Bennington perform live in some rehearsal studio in North Hollywood 2 years ago. I won a contest on their FB page but got really lazy the day of that I flaked out. Their stage manager called me up to ask where I was, because they were waiting for me to start the show. I was like fuck, go on without me! When they posted the pics I was floored. They literally performed for about 20 people. I guess they were renting out the space to freshen up before leaving for the tour the following week.
Old 10-29-15, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I passed on seeing classic Kiss in the mid 70's with some high school buddies (still not a fan, but it would probably have been a great memory)

I missed Stevie Ray Vaughan in Columbus, OH in '89 "I'll catch him next time he comes through", I said to myself...
Old 10-29-15, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I passed up the chance (or didn't try hard enough) to see Nirvana more times that I've actually seen them (3). One of my absolute favorite bands and I could've seen them at least 7 times had I tried.

Never saw the Ramones.
Old 10-29-15, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never saw Metallica back in the day (83-86) due to various reasons. I tried though.

Passed up a couple chances to the see the Replacements back in the day too. Never did.
Old 10-29-15, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

All my friends went to see The Police in the Synchronicity tour at Aloha Stadium in '84. One of the biggest concerts in Hawaii since the Elvis show in 72. For some reason, I decided to pass. I was kind of sick of them on the radio by that point. A few years later they were like my favorite band and by that point they were broken up. I saw Sting a few years later but it's not the same. At least I caught the reunion tour about eight to ten years ago.

My mom's younger sister has a doozy : it seems Brian Epstein was like a second cousin or something. In 1963 when she was like ten, he got the band he managed, The Beatles, to sign a band photo "To Helen" with all their respective signatures. She kept it in her room for several years, but when she became a teenager, she cleared it out and put it with a pile of stuff in the attic or somewhere. She lost the photo and didn't think twice about it for years.
Old 10-30-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Not so much a regret, but an annoyance. End of the 90s a friend of mine called to see me and whilst chatting told me he had bought a ticket to see David Bowie at the Town and Country (Now the O2 Academy) in Leeds. This is a great venue and for gigs only has room for probably 1000 people...max. I asked why he didn't get me a ticket and he just shrugged. By the time i called to try and get a ticket they had sold out. I was pissed off. Not too long afterwards i saw Shed 7 there on their farewell gig and i regretted going to that. Good band, shit gig just doing it for the cash.
Old 10-30-15, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

The only regret I have is not seeing Heaven & Hell in 2009. Dio would die the next year

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.