Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

music regrets

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: music regrets

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
The only regret I have is not seeing Heaven & Hell in 2009. Dio would die the next year
Same
Old 10-30-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally missing Pavement in the 90s.
Old 10-30-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
All my friends went to see The Police in the Synchronicity tour at Aloha Stadium in '84. One of the biggest concerts in Hawaii since the Elvis show in 72. For some reason, I decided to pass. I was kind of sick of them on the radio by that point. A few years later they were like my favorite band and by that point they were broken up. I saw Sting a few years later but it's not the same. At least I caught the reunion tour about eight to ten years ago.
I missed that reunion tour too, and I regret it (I was dead broke at the time). From what I've been reading, the internal conflicts were still there, and I doubt there will be a third go-around for The Police.

It's funny to see so many people mention the Ramones. They used to play in my hometown (in upstate NY) so often, we didn't always go. Like if money was tight that week. We'd just go see them next month. Ultimately, probably saw them around 10-15 times in my life.
Old 11-02-15, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the Synchronicity tour in '83 at the Orange Bowl in Miami. Opening acts were The Fixx and The Animals. I was all of 12 but it was a fantastic show. It was sponsored by MTV, so Martha Quinn came out before The Police took the stage and the place went bugfuck crazy over her. Good times.

I also caught the reunion tour in 2007 and found it largely disappointing. The band seemed mostly annoyed, rattling off the hits onstage with barely an acknowledgment of themselves, the crowd, anything. It was perfunctory and no more. Plus July in South Florida in a stadium? People were sweating their own poo.
Old 11-02-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never got to see before it was too late regrets? Nirvana. That's it. I've seen a lot of bands and made a point of crossing the rest off of my mental bucket list.

Wasted ticket regrets? Just The Lemonheads. And not even for a good reason. A friend of a friend was in town.

Actually going to see a show regrets? Oddly enough Weezer. I've been a fan for forever, so I paid extra to meet them and be first on the field (to get closer to the stage) with a friend at Turner Field. Except, Rivers was visibly uninterested in meeting any of us. The rest of the band was cool though. Then, instead of letting the VIP people out first, they let us all out at the same time. Still second row. Then Weezer came out and opened with "Back to the Shack", a song about getting back to their roots and appreciating their fans. On the plus side, had I been 20 years less mature, I might have stolen the custom Braves jersey that they had made for them. Sadly, late 30's, mischief isn't really worth the story any more.
Old 11-03-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Police are one of my favorites, and I never saw them when they were first together. I did see the reunion tour in 2007, and that was fine for me. They played the songs I wanted to hear and they sounded excellent.

It's funny, I was just talking to friends a couple weeks ago about the worst shows we had seen, and I really couldn't come up with any. Some sounded better than others, and I was disappointed in the set lists of a number of shows--but I can't really think of any bands that I went to see where I thought they were just terrible.
Old 11-03-15, 03:26 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
The only regret I have is not seeing Heaven & Hell in 2009. Dio would die the next year
And would go to Heaven.
Old 11-03-15, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
It's funny, I was just talking to friends a couple weeks ago about the worst shows we had seen, and I really couldn't come up with any. Some sounded better than others, and I was disappointed in the set lists of a number of shows--but I can't really think of any bands that I went to see where I thought they were just terrible.
I saw Clapton once, I think it was 1989 or 1990. It was a terrible show. The set list was fine, but he played a bunch of slow, bluesy jam interpretations of many of his biggest hits, and it was a borefest. He couldn't have seemed less interested. It was pretty much the worst concert I've ever been to, relative to the talent involved, the catalog of material, the potential of the performance, etc.
Old 11-04-15, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I saw Clapton once, I think it was 1989 or 1990. It was a terrible show. The set list was fine, but he played a bunch of slow, bluesy jam interpretations of many of his biggest hits, and it was a borefest. He couldn't have seemed less interested. It was pretty much the worst concert I've ever been to, relative to the talent involved, the catalog of material, the potential of the performance, etc.
Clapton's often like that. I think he has a robot duplicate that they sometimes send on stage in his place. The Clapbot. The one time I saw him was in 1974. He came out wearing sunglasses which he never took off. He never said one word to the audience. He stood in one spot the entire time, did the songs, walked off. The music was good though.
Old 11-04-15, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Talented as he may be, Clapton's always been pretty boring.
Old 11-04-15, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Talented as he may be, Clapton's always been pretty boring.
Except when he's delivering racist tirades from the stage.
Old 11-12-15, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

As much as I love the band The Mars Volta and Sparta and a lot of the the cats in those bands side projects I regret passing up seeing the group both projects span off from " At The Drive In" in concert during college as Relationship of Command is one of the albums I always come back to. Also regret never going to see one of the greatest songwriters ever Elliot Smith, as I just thought he will be around the next few decades.
Old 11-14-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I can think of two: David Bowie and U2.

I saw Bowie on the "Glass Spider tour", and he mostly played tracks from Let's Dance and... Tonight, I think? that terrible follow-up album with "Loving the Alien"? The whole thing seemed overly scripted, like, even down to Bowie tossing his head back during songs. It was all artsy-fartsy, but with some of Bowie's worst music. One of the few things I remember about the show was the crowd going wild when he launched in to "Rebel Rebel", the same way a college football crowd might cheer when their 2-8 team finally makes a first down or field goal.

The U2 show was the "Joshua Tree tour", and I guess I just saw them on the wrong night. I was a fan of old U2, and Bono was ALL ABOUT the new songs. The band seemed to lack energy generally, but especially when playing older tunes. There was this "we're so sick of playing 'New Year's Day', but our older fans wanna hear it, so I guess we HAVE to play it... but we don't have to LIKE it" vibe going on. A couple of my friends at school mentioned it the next day, so it wasn't just me.
Old 11-14-15, 09:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

i regret giving up my 800+ cd collection to the Salvation Army when i had to rid myself of a storage unit. really had no where to put them and now everything is better digital and simpler, but still. i loved my collection...
Old 11-15-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

In terms of bands I don't think I'll get to see again: Missing out on The Police reunion tour and any of Bowie's shows throughout the overlapping time span of his touring time and my being old enough to see him.

My Dad got to see The Clash and Stevie Ray Vaughan...so yeah I'm lacking in the shows department.
Old 11-15-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

If we're talking about concerts that I actually regret going to, the first that comes to mind is Velocity Girl. I liked a lot of their songs, particularly this peppy upbeat number:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kaMrivLS8bU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But oh, this was a shoegaze band through and through. An hour (or more, not sure if I lasted the whole set) of these Seattlites glued in place on stage, staring at their Doc Martins.

That led to a decision month or two later, when the bands Echobelly and The Muffs were playing on the same night. I'd never seen either, but I feared Echobelly would be a similar low energy show, so I went the obvious route and saw The Muffs. Now, that was a great show, but I've seen that band like a dozen times since and Echobelly has never graced these shores since (or at least not played locally). So I always wonder if I should have gone anyway...