Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What streaming music service do you use/prefer?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Where do you stream your music?
Spotify
48.68%
Apple Music
13.16%
Google Play Music
5.26%
Rdio
2.63%
Tidal
1.32%
Pandora
14.47%
Deezer
1.32%
Xbox Music
2.63%
Other (Please post what you use)
14.47%
I buy my music like a real fan should!
22.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

What streaming music service do you use/prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts
Re: What streaming music service do you use/prefer?

Spotify is the best. Love it. The PS4 integration is sweet as well.

I should really get a family account because my daughter seem to always be using it when I want to.
Old 10-06-15, 08:10 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm waiting for either Rdio or Spotify to offer up another promotion and will then likely join either one of those. From what I can tell, both offer similar features -- and nearly as important, I need a premium membership for either to work through Sonos.
Old 12-23-15, 09:30 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

The Beatles are now available (or by midnight tonight, apparently) on all the major streaming music services.
http://gizmodo.com/from-christmas-ev...les-1749413774
According to the official Beatles website, the streaming services providing the music of the Fab Four will include:

Spotify (both free and premium accounts)
Apple Music
Slacker
Tidal
Microsoft’s Groove
Rhapsody
Deezer
Google Play
Amazon Prime

And you’ll be able to listen to the following albums:

Please Please Me
With The Beatles
A Hard Day’s Night
Beatles For Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour
The Beatles
Yellow Submarine
Abbey Road
Let It Be
The Beatles 1962 – 1966
The Beatles 1967 – 1970
Past Masters (Volumes 1 & 2)
Awesome!
edit: These appear to all be the remasters, but I don't see anything about if it will include the mono versions.
Old 12-23-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So. Fucking. Awesome. Despite being a big Beatles fan, I haven't listened to the band in years because I have anti-piracy scruples, don't own all of the the CDs and wasn't willing to pay for digital copies.
Old 12-23-15, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, Google Music now offers family plans for $15. I signed my entire family up in about ten minutes.

After trying Rdio (RIP), Spotify and Apple Music, Google Music continues to be my favorite streaming service.
Old 12-23-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
The Beatles are now available (or by midnight tonight, apparently) on all the major streaming music services.
http://gizmodo.com/from-christmas-ev...les-1749413774

Awesome!
edit: These appear to all be the remasters, but I don't see anything about if it will include the mono versions.
Great news, and I was just getting ready to rip all my Beatles CDs and add to my Amazon library, now I don't have to. It would be awesome if the mono versions were included, but honestly, I'd be surprised if they were.
Old 12-23-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

My Google Play has every bootleg, remix, Purple Chick, outtake, mono, stereo, needledrop, etc. I've collected over the past 27 years, but I'd rather hear high quality streaming over Spotify just to listen to the "canon" tracks.

Hopefully Love, the BBC, Anthologies, etc. will be coming soon.
Old 12-23-15, 02:53 PM

I've usually gotten The Beatles to play through Slacker in my car, but they were the only artist that was kind of hit-or-miss when you request them. Glad that's being fixed.
Old 12-24-15, 09:04 AM

Yup, they weren't up yesterday, but they're all up today on Spotify (except LOVE, I guess). Ten albums are up on Amazon Prime.
Old 12-24-15, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a picture of me streaming some Beatles this morning:

Old 12-24-15, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure it sounds awesome in your car.

But I'm sure it's a challenge when you go out for a run.

Old 10-03-17, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Another domino falls. I never subscribed to Groove, but I did get a ton of stuff a few holidays ago when albums and boxed sets were 99 cents. I think I exported most of them to iTunes but will have to check.

Groove Music is excited to announce that we’re partnering with Spotify to bring you the world’s largest music streaming service. On December 31, 2017, the option to stream*, purchase, and download music from Groove Music will be discontinued. After December 31, 2017, you’ll still be able to listen to your purchased music if it has been downloaded.

Keep your current music collection intact by downloading to your devices any albums and tracks that you’ve already purchased. You can download your purchased music through the Groove Music App until December 31, 2017.

To download your music, open Groove, go to your music collection and select the Purchased filter. Right-click or press and hold your music files and select Download from the menu.

Check out our FAQ for more info on moving from Groove Music Pass to Spotify.* We’ll continue to update the Groove Music app on all Windows devices so you can play the music you’ve purchased and downloaded to your devices or stored on OneDrive.

*If you are a Groove Music Pass subscriber, we sent you a separate email regarding the December 31, 2017 termination of the Groove Music Pass service. Please read that email and FAQ for important details, including details on how you can move your Groove music to Spotify. We thank you for supporting Groove Music.
Old 12-30-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I downloaded all my Groove/Microsoft purchases before the 12/31/17 deadline. Now I have to figure out how many of them I hadn't gotten around to importing into my iTunes library.

Of course in the meantime I've gone Spotify Premium so it's not like there's an urgency to make sure I have the KISS boxed set on my PC.
Old 12-30-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I signed up for Amazon Prime this week. Three months for only 99 cents. I have enjoyed it so much I will most likely keep it once the three months are up.
Old 12-31-17, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I Listen too:
TuneIn
Pandora
Spotify
Amazon Prime Music
iheartradio(free version)
SlackerRadio(free version)
VTuner(comes with Brennan B2 CD Jukebox)

I wish TuneIn had better Rock Radio Stations and would improve the quality of their NFL team broadcasts. The Patriots games when coming to a commercial break repeats the last 5 seconds of the live broadcast before a commercial.

How do the free music streaming service's make money? If you have an Artist's Radio station on iheartradio.com you don't get any commericals(except the forced one at the beginning). I did have their premium service for awhile(playlists was the main reason) but the thing never worked(maybe because of an ad-blocker which I won't remove).
Old 12-31-17, 01:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Still using Spotify for the most part, although at home I'm listening to records more than streaming. Spotify is worth it for the Discover Weekly and Release Radar lists alone, not to mention their apps are on every platform you can imagine, even if they're not always feature-complete.
Old 12-31-17, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I got an Amazon Echo dot a week or so ago and I'm really liking it so far.

Currently using a 3-month subscription to Amazon Unlimited Music for 99 cents. Leaning towards keeping it. Seems to have a very large library of new and old releases.

Also have the app on my phone and use it through the Blue tooth to listen to music on my drive to and from work. I love how very easy the interface is and I like that it has a pretty nice variety of playlists.

Not really sure if Pandora or Spotify have any better advantages, but I'm liking Amazon music so far.
Old 01-05-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I also just subscribed to Amazon Music for the 99 cents for 3 months deal. I don't know if I listen to enough music to make this worthwhile in the long run outside of being in the car for a long drive, and even then i'm typically just on FM or XM radio.
Old 01-19-18, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Does Amazon Music Unlimited do anything that Spotify can't do?

I could just drop Pandora(4.99 commercial free) and for another three dollars I could get Amazon Music Unlimited but someone needs to sell me on it.

I don't know about their playlists but the playlists on Amazon Prime Music are pretty bad and not very long.
Old 02-20-18, 03:35 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

This is one of the bigger issues facing the industry right now. It appears that ALL of the streaming services are doing things this way, which encourages click-scammers like these guys.
ALL of these services are ripping off rights-holders (ie: artists and labels) by using a "plays per total" calculation instead of the "plays per subscriber" calculation that any reasonable person would expect; and despite the fact that these would seem to balance out, in the real world, they do not, because folks are gaming the system in a big way.

THE GREAT BIG SPOTIFY SCAM: DID A BULGARIAN PLAYLISTER SWINDLE THEIR WAY TO A FORTUNE ON STREAMING SERVICE?
https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.c...aming-service/

At the time, Soulful Music contained 467 tracks, all recorded by seemingly unknown artists with very little in the way of online biographies/presence.

You will note: this is an exceedingly large number of tracks for a playlist knocking on the door of Spotify’s Top 10 revenue-making playlists in America.

Even stranger: bewilderingly few people ‘followed’ the playlist.

According to data obtained using the playlist monitoring platform ChartMetric, MBW has discovered that during the third week of September 2017, just 1,797 people followed ‘Soulfu Music’.

What’s more, we’re told the vast majority of these 467 tracks were barely over 30 seconds long; the minimum unit of time needed to trigger a monetized play on Spotify.

So let’s bring all of this information together:

- A Bulgarian individual or collective managed to run at least one third-party playlist – ‘Soulful Music’ – which generated so much revenue in September 2017, it landed at No.35 on Spotify’s global 100 chart. (We actually have a testimonial from a further trusted source that ‘Soulful Music’ went on to break the US Top 10 in late September, but we haven’t seen the evidence.)
- However, ‘Soulful Music’ had less than 1,800 followers at the time.
What’s more, each of its 467 tracks were only attracting around 1,200 monthly listeners apiece.
- Considering these numbers, how on earth could ‘Soulful Music’ beat down branded efforts from Sony, Universal and Warner to become one of the biggest playlists in the world?

Our sources tell us that the average track duration of the 467 songs in Soulful Music was 43 seconds. (The top third of the playlist – the most visible bit – actually contained the longest tracks, presumably so that, at a glance, it appeared like the list could be legit.)

There are 86,400 seconds in a day.

The potential amount of total ‘listens’ that a single individual premium Spotify account could rack up within this playlist across a 30-day month? If they were playing songs continually, 24 hours a day, seven days a week?

Just over 60,000.

60,000 monetised tracks ‘listens’ across 1,200 premium accounts in the same month period?

A total of 72 million plays.

A conservative estimate of Spotify’s per-track average payout to recorded music rights-holders is $0.004 per play.

Multiplied by 72 million, and you get the potential monthly payout of the ‘Soulful Music’ scam.

$288,000.
What’s more: if bots were being used to skip tracks on Spotify before they finished – at the all-important 30-second monetisation point – you would be able to squeeze in 103m plays across 1,200 accounts in 30 days.

Total potential payout at $0.004 per play?

$415,000.
Now, remember that these calculations are across just one playlist.

Don’t forget that The Bulgarian had at least one other playlist (that we know of) doing comparable numbers.

The only reason he or she got caught was because they were, essentially, too successful.

Eventually, a major label flagged the issue to Spotify, who, we’re told, deleted the vast majority of the 467 tracks in the ‘Soulful Music’ and ‘Music From The Heart’ playlists in October 2017.

‘Eventually’ is a key word here.

Our sources indicate that the scam – and don’t forget we’re presuming it was a scam – was running for four months before action was taken.

Going off our numbers above, that could easily have resulted in a payout, across the two playlists, of somewhere north of $1m.
Old 03-01-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

My music streaming has changed a lot since I last posting in this thread (post #57 from 2015).

I was using just Amazon Prime Music back there, but after Amazon started its "Unlimited" music service and started removing a lot of music from the "Prime" music service, I started looking around again.

In early 2016, I signed up with Spotify on a 3-months-for-99-cents deal. But I wasn't that impressed with the premium Spotify over the free-with-ads Spotify so ended the subscription when the 3 months were over.

Finally, in the Summer of 2016, I decided to sign up for Google Play Music mainly due to YouTube Red being included, and haven't looked back. I think Google Play Music is very impressive, combining a lot of the things I liked best about both the (old) Amazon Prime Music and Spotify.

Google Play Music's stations (which are site-created playlists) are fantastic and even more varied than the ones Amazon Prime Music has. I play different "stations" frequently and they all are like listening to the best DJ for each format I could wish for. And I create some playlists of my own to share with others there as well.

I eventually bought a couple of Chromecast Audio adapters so I could broadcast the same station playlist to 2 rooms simultaneously synced. And now I even have a Google Home Mini in one room to control the music casting without needing my phone or tablet. (However, I did print up a list of over a hundred stations so no other device is even needed to look them up.) I get a kick out of showing off to people how I can verbally call up a station/playlist and have it playing in the 2 main rooms of the house just like the snap of a finger.

I still use Amazon Prime (or what's left of it) at times, and the free (with ads) versions of Spotify and Pandora, but my preference is definitely for Google Play Music (which I kicked up to the Family plan for $5 more).
Old 04-04-18, 10:54 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/3/17...rket-valuation

Spotify has gone public, and is valued at about $26 billion, which apparently makes them worth more than all three major labels (Sony, Warner, Universal) combined. Interesting stuff.
Old 09-04-20, 10:08 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Bumpity bump.

Supermallet!!! Why hath you gone.....

So I've been using Tidal (HiFi tier) for a while now, as I've been using promos to get it for free or just cheap. Best Buy has a DOTD for the Tidal Hifi subscription for $0.99 for three months, then it's $14.99 after. The usual MONTHLY price is $19.99. Too rich for me for just a streaming service, but their HiFi tier has FLAC and Dolby Atmos which sound incredible. I've been listening and streaming for the past 4 months while I work at home. But if anyone is interested in hearing what new and old albums sound like in Dolby Atmos (and can hear it like that at home), this is a good way to do it. I personally love this service the most, but that price is just too much. However I may stick with it when the promo is over since it's $14.99/month.

FYI, you need to subscribe to the Tidal Hifi tier, the lower ones do not support Dolby Atmos, but they do have masters at that bitrate.

Last edited by E Unit; 09-04-20 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-04-20, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I assume Google Music users got the email about that system going away. I installed the YouTube Music app on my tablet and was able to transfer my purchases (mostly free Playlist: The Very Best of the... albums) there. I’m still doing nearly all my listening on Spotify Premium but now and then I use Amazon or Google purchases for the download option.
Old 09-04-20, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Spotify

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.