Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What time should concerts end?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What time should concerts end?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: What time should concerts end?

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Agreed.

Same here. Personally I've seen a few 60-90 minute opening acts with a another 30 minutes of tear down/set up before the headliner could take the stage. The best example was when Cheap Trick opened up for Heart. CT had their own full stage setup and played for a full 90 minutes. Heart didn't even take the stage till 10:00, and they played till about 12:30.
I saw Rush as opening act and the entire 2112 was just the first song. Also saw KISS open for ZZ Top in 1975 and it was the full show with stage setup.

A distinction should be made between "double bill" and "main feature/short subject" however.
Old 06-23-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
A distinction should be made between "double bill" and "main feature/short subject" however.
I think that can get tricky. There are obviously clear cases where a band with only one album is out there as the warm up band, and will indeed play 20 minutes or so. But that is so rare these days. It was rare even when I was going to a ton of concerts in the 80's.

Far more common was a triple bill with the new debut warm up act (20 min), second tier band (40-60 min) and the headliner (90-120) minutes. Even without the time in between acts you're looking at 2 1/2 hours minimum. That's why I think 11:00 is reasonable, but 12:00 is better so the headliner and opening acts can stretch to two hours and an hour respectively.
Old 06-23-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Shows should end at 9:30pm. Now get off my lawn!

Seriously, my concert-going has decreased dramatically as I've gotten older. I've always been a night person who stays up late and probably always will be, but the notion of being out among a bunch of people at midnight is just not appealing to me anymore, no matter how good the music is (with a few exceptions).
Old 06-23-15, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Teenage me: "Play all night!"

20s me: "I hope this show is over by midnight because I have work tomorrow."

30s me: "All this standing is hurting my back. Good thing I phoned the venue ahead of time, got set times and showed up 10 minutes before [headliner] goes on."

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Bands should play from 90 minutes up to a maximum of 3 hours, depending on who they are. I saw Lou Reed play for 3 hours and he still didn't hit every song I wanted to hear. On the other hand, does anyone really need 3 hours of Lamb of God?
If you're a fan, maybe. I'd take 3 hours of Lamb of God over Lou Reed, depends on what you like, but truthfully I don't want to see anyone play for 3 hours. I'm good with a max of 2; anything past that and I get restless. Leave them wanting more is a perfect idiom for musicians.
Old 06-23-15, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shortly after I turned twenty (a decade ago) I went to see U2 in Philadelphia. Now, a bit of backstory. I had "purchased" (the individual actually just sent me the ticket, and just asked me to send him payment sometime after the concert) the ticket online, and woke up early the day of the show, as I was still waiting for the ticket to arrive. It finally showed up, and I took off, making the nearly six hour drive to Philly. The show ended, if I recall, around midnight, and so I made the drive back home, arriving around seven or so. I then took a quick shower, and went into work. Then, after work, I went on a date, and was out until around two or so that morning. Those days, sadly, are over. I'm 30 years old damn it! And I want to sit in a comfortable chair, watch television, and go to bed at a reasonable hour!

I may be in the minority here, but I'd actually prefer the shows to be over even earlier. I live nearly an hour and a half away from the closest "big" cities that bands play (Cleveland and Pittsburgh), so, taking into account heavier traffic leaving the venue, I've got an almost two hour drive ahead of me. So if a show doesn't get out until midnight, or even one, I'm not getting home until two or three in the morning. And if I have to work that day, I'm up around six-thirty or so. Don't get me wrong, I still do it from time to time, but, particularly with the ever growing cost of tickets, live shows just don't appeal to me like they once did.

I'm old, and echo every sentiment kefrank said...
Old 06-26-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I would prefer around 11pm. Most shows get over around that time, so it's not a big issue when I decide to see something. I definitely go to less shows now that I have to get up at 5am for work, and I'll usually take the day after a show off so I don't have to worry about it.

As far as set time, I'm becoming increasingly attracted to the "An Evening With..." type of shows with only one band that plays for about 3 hrs. I hate it when a band has been around for 20+ years, and only plays a 1.5hr max set.
Old 06-26-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The way I see it, if your last name is 'Appice' then you don't need a drum solo.

Actually we don't need drum solos.
Old 06-26-15, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In that case we don't need solos of any kind that are not already part of an existing song. What's the point of live shows if they are just going to repeat the original releases note for note?
Old 06-26-15, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Depends:

1. Ticket prices. i.e. RUSH tix are $$$$$ so they should play at less than 3+ hours.
2. Band Talent. i.e. KISS is just fine playing about 80 to 90min. Anything more is whatever..
3. Band Song lengths. i.e. RUSH has have many long songs so see #1.
4. Opening act? No? Then play a long show. Yes. Then you can cut your show back. i.e. RUSH...stopped opening acts long time ago see #1.
5. Distance to venue. i.e. Did I drive 2 hours to see you? Play a long show...
Old 06-26-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The way I see it, if your last name is 'Appice' then you don't need a drum solo.

Actually we don't need drum solos.
Neil Peart(RUSH) is the exception since his Drum Solo is actually more than just a standard drum solo.
Old 06-27-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In that case we don't need solos of any kind that are not already part of an existing song. What's the point of live shows if they are just going to repeat the original releases note for note?
Don't decry statements that were never said. I didn't say concerts should be note-for-note reproductions of the album experience. Just that drum solos bore the hell out of me.
Old 06-27-15, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Neil Peart(RUSH) is the exception since his Drum Solo is actually more than just a standard drum solo.
The Professor is always the exception His is the only drum solo that doesn't scream PEE BREAK to me.
Old 06-27-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't consider it an exception, but I would agree his are likely the best.

If somebody is not interested in the solos done during a show, maybe they purchased tickets to the wrong concert.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 06-27-15 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-27-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If somebody is not interested in the solos done during a show, maybe be they purchased tickets to the wrong concert.
Agree to disagree then. Especially when the act in question is not known for their musical virtuosity, technique, unique tone/timbre, and/or creativity.
Old 06-28-15, 01:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Teenage me: "Play all night!"

20s me: "I hope this show is over by midnight because I have work tomorrow."

30s me: "All this standing is hurting my back. Good thing I phoned the venue ahead of time, got set times and showed up 10 minutes before [headliner] goes on."

If you're a fan, maybe. I'd take 3 hours of Lamb of God over Lou Reed, depends on what you like, but truthfully I don't want to see anyone play for 3 hours. I'm good with a max of 2; anything past that and I get restless. Leave them wanting more is a perfect idiom for musicians.

40's me: "if it's on Youtube - it saves me money and I can watch the show on my home theater setup" just watched Glastonbury Music Festival (2015) full sets from Florence & the Machine, Suede and Super Furry Animals.
Old 06-30-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I know here (in Houston) that the venue type/location can come into play as far as concert end time. The big outdoor venue here has a pretty hard end time of 11pm (it's nestled into a residential area). But, clubs and the larger arenas pretty much anything goes.

For me, I try and avoid weekday concerts or concerts that are on the far side of town so that the end time doesn't come into play. If it's on Friday/Saturday I don't really care what time it ends.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 06-30-15 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-30-15, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Went to see Goatwhore in Chicago on Saturday night. They hit the stage at 11:40 and finished just before 1:00am.
Old 06-30-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Love Goatwhore, don't like them live too much.
Old 06-30-15, 02:07 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Agree to disagree then. Especially when the act in question is not known for their musical virtuosity, technique, unique tone/timbre, and/or creativity.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TQdegoklkZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-30-15, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw GnR four times in the early 90s. Only one of those shows began before 11:30pm, the one at RFK stadium I think.
Old 06-30-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Leave KISS alone!!!
Old 06-30-15, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Leave KISS alone!!!
I'd stick around for an Ace solo

Now if the bassist for Herman's Hermits wants to go into a 12-minute reggaeton exploration piece I'd... shit I'd probably stick around for that too.

But if Paul Anka's drummer wants ANY time, I'm gone!
Old 06-30-15, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Phodg
Went to see Goatwhore in Chicago on Saturday night. They hit the stage at 11:40 and finished just before 1:00am.
Crap I was thinking of going to see them in DC on a Thursday. If that is the time then I don't think I'll be able to do it. Too bad, I really wanted to see Black Breath.

As far as the subject, the week I like to be done around midnight. Friday or Saturday I could care less.
Old 07-01-15, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
Crap I was thinking of going to see them in DC on a Thursday. If that is the time then I don't think I'll be able to do it. Too bad, I really wanted to see Black Breath.
Black Breath were on at about 9:30. They switched spots with Ringworm, who went on at 10:30.
Old 07-01-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
here in DC - the Black Cat actually rescheduled it's entire Mon-Thur - shows so that folk could take mass transit back home, a lot of folk (without cars) were complaining. 9:30 Club also tries to factor this in. Although funny story, the Badly Drawn Boy concert just dragged on like forever, that as it stretched over it's 2 hours and 30 minute running time, folk were leaving by the droves, he noticed this and was like "what's up" - the retort from some random guy "last subway man"

I personally hate going to see Baltimore shows - they always (unless it's Ram's Head) start on the very late side.
Badly Drawn Boy has always, always had long shows. He had a 2+ hour long show when he was touring for his debut album which was a 60-minute album. He would play a song, then later play an acoustic version of it, then a drone version later in the show.

I enjoyed it immensely but it also means I never need to see him live again. Close to three hours in 2000/1 was enough.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.