Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record Store Day--Sat 4/18/15

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Record Store Day--Sat 4/18/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Record Store Day--Sat 4/18/15

Originally Posted by CRM114
Heads up that http://www.bullmoose.com usually has lots of leftover merchandise they post online at noon.
Thanks for posting this. My Saturday was spent finding a new used car for my wife, so I missed the chance to get the Polaris Adventures of Pete & Pete soundtrack. Currently buying it on the site right now.
Old 04-20-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I went to pick up two things, but both were delayed: Mark Kozelek - What's Next to the Moon? and the Red House Painters box. Of course I still walked out with a bunch of stuff. And the store offered to hold the Kozelek release today since it's no longer technically a RSD release. Hopefully they'll do the same with the box set tomorrow.
Old 04-20-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted the Mark Kozelek record and Shugo Tokumaru's Night Piece. Both were gone on Bull Moose too. I picked up Night Piece on eBay for $21.
Old 04-20-15, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If they have two of the Kozelek album, I could pick up another, but I think they said mine was the last.
Old 04-20-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is this a local store?

I didn't plan on getting one. That's a major item for eBay flippers.
Old 04-20-15, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, my local store. I'll be stopping by after work to grab mine. I'm actually not even sure what the price is, but usually their stuff is really reasonable.

Yeah, I was there at opening, but I wasn't expecting to get one either. It actually worked out better for me that it was a day late.
Old 04-20-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

you mean their shipment came late?

I have one more store to visit. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 04-20-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, it came today. They told me it was delayed, but I guess just their shipment was.

I wish he'd cut out the extremely limited releases. I barely have any of his albums on vinyl because they all get snapped up and flipped immediately. Even an extra 500-1000 per release would help a lot.
Old 04-20-15, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, Record Store Day is really bullshit. The exclusives are too limited, aren't available at all participating stores, and the whole thing just plays right into the hands of flippers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but this is a shit-poor way to promote indie record stores.

If I go to three different record stores looking for a dertain release and leave them all empty-handed because the ten copies they each got of the record I wanted sold out to some guy who's going to put them up on eBay, I am not going to be particularly enamored with the record stores.

I can tell you that RSD does help out indie record stores. RSD helps out a lot. Yes, some releases are too limited and it sucks but that's kind of the point - limited releases that are only available in small quantities from indie record stores.

Unfortunately, RSD also helps out flipper-assholes but there's almost nothing that can be done about that. The only real thing that can be done is limiting RSD items to one-per-customer. My store does that and we're very strict about it. Some people get pissed off that they can only buy one copy of something after waiting in line for a few hours - sorry, thems the breaks. Limiting the quantities is really the only weapon the record stores have. Unless they have identified people who are only there to flip and stop them but that's a very slippery slope.

I'm sure there are some stores that choose not to participate in RSD (for the reasons you mentioned, among others) but in my opinion, any record store owner that chooses not to participate is doing themselves a disservice. RSD makes money for independent record stores.

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Yeah, I HATE record store day. It started out as something kind of cool, but like most things in life, it was ruined by assholes.

Now it's the one day of the year I avoid my local record store. Kind of ironic.
That's unfortunate but it's understandable. It is a madhouse in most stores right after they open. And I can completely understand being frustrated with not being able to get something that you were hoping to score.
Old 04-20-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I dunno the Record Store Day exclusives seem like a good idea to promote local stores but at the same time I really don't like the idea of them. The way its done now they're so limited that not many people can get them in the first place unless you're really early and even then it isn't a guarantee. Plus when you see so many copies of the exclusives floating around on eBay for inflated prices its fairly disheartening and obvious that it just is something for scalpers to take advantage of fans who actually want a title.
Old 04-20-15, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad there are some "record" stores still around. I opened "Taking Home The Hits" back in 1987 with 33 1/3 rpm and 45 rpm vinyls plus cassette tape and a handful of compact discs. Very successful until the introduction of DVD recorders and Napster. Finally said the hell with it and closed the doors for good end of December, 2003. (Landlord increasing my rent 30% didn't help either.)
Old 04-21-15, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
I dunno the Record Store Day exclusives seem like a good idea to promote local stores but at the same time I really don't like the idea of them. The way its done now they're so limited that not many people can get them in the first place unless you're really early and even then it isn't a guarantee. Plus when you see so many copies of the exclusives floating around on eBay for inflated prices its fairly disheartening and obvious that it just is something for scalpers to take advantage of fans who actually want a title.
With the exception of maybe a dozen of the over 400 titles, everything is still available in most record stores after the day of the event. Also, there are several online retailers selling most of the titles the following week. The reward for getting your ass into a store on RSD is to get one of those dozen high-demand items if you want one.

This is a pic posted last night by Siren Records in Doylestown PA captioned "STILL LOTS OF RSD TITLES AVAILABLE!". https://instagram.com/p/1tc9oii3OR/

Also, I went to two stores on Saturday. One orders a token amount of product and the other the fucking mother lode. It all has to do with available buying power of a particular store. Interesting to note that the best record stores always have the most product - because they are the best run businesses.

As for copies floating on eBay - if there are 5000 White Stripes records made and there are 40 on eBay, is that really indicative of everyone flipping records?
Old 04-21-15, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

^^ True. Sure some titles are more limited, but my local store posted last night all the stuff they have left. Many of my U2 friends found copies of their RSD release on Sunday.
Old 04-21-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

My beef with RSD is that international artists never seem to clarify which RSD they're referring to. My current fave band is a somewhat obscure synthpop duo from Greece. When they say "special RSD 7" single", I'm pretty confident they're referring to RSD Greece, so the chances of my local record store here in North Carolina having it are slim to none. And I'm OK with that. But when Bryan Ferry tweets about a "special Roxy Music RSD release", I don't know if he's talking about RSD US or RSD UK. Or if The Raveonettes are talking about RSD US or RSD Germany or RSD Denmark. Or if The Jesus and Mary Chain RSD single is for RSD US or RSD UK, or if the RSD album is for RSD US or RSD UK. I know this is all on the artists, and\or their PR staff. But this year there were so many things I was like "oh, that's awesome... oh, it's for RSD UK, and this band isn't enough like Phish or DMB for my local record store to order the import."
Old 04-21-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If its not on the extensive list at recordstoreday.com, then it's not for RSD USA.

Record Store Day UK: http://recordstoreday.co.uk
Old 04-21-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I've suggested to my local record shop that they institute a punch card for purchases, and customers with over a certain amount get first crack at the RSD releases. I don't know if that is against the RSD policy or not, but it would definitely make the scalpers earn their way.
Old 04-21-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some items I would have bought but didn't:

- Otis Redding - the same record in stereo and mono for $45. Really wanted this but price is nuts.
- The Kinks singles - I'm a huge Kinks fan but >$12 for a 7" is pushing it
- Flaming Lips 10" - 3 of them, each $15. Maybe $25 for all 3 but no, not $45.

And I'm not cheap! I spent $420 this year on RSD.
Old 04-21-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did manage to get the Red House Painters box as well today. They got six in, two went to employees, and they were down to one this morning after I bought mine.
Old 04-21-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't that a UK release? Its not the US list.

(BTW, that's lame that employees took 2.)
Old 04-21-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

If its not on the extensive list at recordstoreday.com, then it's not for RSD USA.

Holy shit! For me, the UK-only exclusives are SO MUCH better than the US ones. Probably a good thing, as I would've spend more money and/or been more agitated at not finding the ones I want.
Old 04-21-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wasn't that a UK release? Its not the US list.

(BTW, that's lame that employees took 2.)
It was a strange one - like a pseudo RSD release. 4AD timed it to be out the same day, but yeah, not officially a RSD thing. I think they sold 750 on their website, which I missed out on, then 750 for RSD.

The box looks really nice and the bronze vinyl is cool, but for a $125 limited release it's kind of weird. The numbering is just a hand-written sticker on the plastic wrap to the box. Still glad I managed to get one and I'll resist the urge to flip it for $400.

My store did have one copy of the Kozelek album left.
Old 04-21-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Holy shit! For me, the UK-only exclusives are SO MUCH better than the US ones. Probably a good thing, as I would've spend more money and/or been more agitated at not finding the ones I want.
Yes, but eBay goes everywhere if you really want something.
Old 04-21-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's a few quick, crappy phone pics of the RHP box and my messy desk:

Old 04-21-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

With the exception of maybe a dozen of the over 400 titles, everything is still available in most record stores after the day of the event. Also, there are several online retailers selling most of the titles the following week. The reward for getting your ass into a store on RSD is to get one of those dozen high-demand items if you want one.
Well I guess I should clarify. The high profile releases are the ones that end up on eBay for the inflated prices. Obviously not every title that gets released as a Record Store Day exclusive is something that a lot of people want, but the releases by bigger artists or whatever are obviously going to be sought after. Scalpers know that and still will take advantage. It happens every year so I'm fairly certain the people in charge of Record Store Day probably realize this too.

It doesn't really matter in my situation anyways because I don't have a local record store so basically have to resort to eBay if I want something. It still is fairly irritating though as events like this should be fun for fans, but instead just turn into another way for people to make a buck.
Old 04-21-15, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes, but that makes it even more annoying. My local got in several of the UK RSD releases, but nothing that interested me. "A CHVRCHES UK 7"? Man, no one wants that shit... we got the Blackberry Smoke UK 10", though."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.