Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Every Noise at Once: a site to explore every music genre

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-13-15, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

A friend linked to this site on Facebook the other day, which I think you guys would enjoy:

http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html

It seemingly lists every music genre known to man, with sound clips for examples. After listening to a genre you can click on an arrow and see specific artists who play that type of music, also with provided sound clips.

For someone such as myself who used to keep up with every musical trend, but gradually started paying less attention as they got older, it's a godsend. I used to be on top of every sub-sub-sub-genre electronic music would spawn each week. Nowadays not so much.

At the very least it's a fun time waster.
Old 04-14-15, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Every Noise at Once: a site to explore every music genre

Epic fail: I found "J-pop" and clicked on it and got American country group Exile singing "Kiss You All Over." Sorry, but that ain't J-pop.

(P.S. There is a Japanese pop band called Exile, but that sure wasn't them.)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-14-15 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-14-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

A great idea for a site, but some of the examples there are definitely off and not what they claim it is.
Old 04-14-15, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first sample I listened to and said "That's wrong!" is the sample it uses for "Jangle Pop".

This site uses Matthew Sweet's song "Girlfriend" which is not a "Jangle Pop" song at all, but a "Power Pop" song:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AOYhCo853PA?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A good song, but that's "Power Pop" not "Jangle Pop"

Instead, the "Jangle Pop" sound is a chiming guitar sound that typically uses a Rickenbacker guitar. Good examples of "Jangle Pop" are a lot songs by the Byrds (like this one called "So You Want To Be A Rock 'N Roll Star"):

<iframe width="420" height="236" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-WXy-h5scjk?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and most early R.E.M. songs (like this one called "Sitting Still"):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ujYO0QaJr8Q?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If the site misses this badly on such an easy category, I don't know if I can trust it for its picks on more obscure categories.
Old 04-14-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Ah, I've only been sampling obscure genres that I'd never heard of before, so I didn't know how accurate their examples were. I never checked stuff that I was familiar with. That's disappointing.

What did make me scratch my head were the inclusion of regional genres. Miami Bass is definitely it's own genre, but stuff like "Columbus indie" or (my hometown) "RVA Indie"? There doesn't seem to be a unified sound there.

Originally Posted by dhmac
The first sample I listened to and said "That's wrong!" is the sample it uses for "Jangle Pop".

This site uses Matthew Sweet's song "Girlfriend" which is not a "Jangle Pop" song at all, but a "Power Pop" song:
Agreed about that being power pop. If they wanted a Matthew Sweet jangle pop song - heck, from the same album - they could've used "I've Been Waiting":

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7gQqR8x8dR4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-15-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

I noticed the above mistakes too (Exile for J-Pop, and Girlfriend for Jangle Pop). In fact, the Power Pop link didn't work at all. If it did, it really should play Paul Collins' Beat.

The Ska link had Reel Big Fish, it should have been something older and more traditional.
Old 04-16-15, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there a way to provide feedback? If the site's owner would correct the music samples based on user feedback, this would be a great site.