Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Prodigy - 'The Day Is My Enemy' (March 31)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-29-15, 11:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

from NME:

Liam Howlett has The Prodigy said he is confident about the group's new album, stating: "If I don't feel the music I'm making, I don't do it."

The Prodigy release new album 'The Day Is My Enemy' in March, it is the follow up to 2009's 'Invaders Must Die'. Speaking to NME in this week's issue of NME, which is on newsstands now and available digitally, Howlett explains why it took six years to get the album out.

"I'm always writing but 2013 and 2014 were bad years as far as the writing went," he says. "It's no excuse, but I was fucked about and had to move studios twice. I'm in a different place now - i had somewhere built; I'm in The Tileyard in Kings Cross - I've got my own room and it's great."

As for the music, Howlett is in a positive mood: "I'm not worried about whether I can keep things fresh. If I don't feel the music I'm making, I don't do it. And if I'm in it, I really feel it - and I've been feeling these new tracks."

Earlier this year Howlett revealed his unhappiness at The Prodigy's legacy, saying his group are as important to British music as Oasis or Blur.

Prodigy - The Day is My Enemy' Amazon preorder

tracklist:

The Day is My Enemy
Nasty
Rebel Radio
Ibiza feat. Sleaford Mods
Destroy
Wild Frontier
Rok-Weiler
Beyond the Deathray
Rhythm Bomb feat. Flux Pavilion
Roadblox
Get Your Fight On
Medicine
Invisible Sun
Wall Of Death
Old 02-01-15, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Prodigy - 'The Day Is My Enemy' (March 31)

I liked the working title more "How to steal a fighter jet". I've heard two songs so far and liked them both, so this is a pre-order for me.

The Prodigy's legacy is pretty solid for me. Of all the electronic groups that I got into in the 90's, The Prodigy are ones still making stuff I still want to hear. Which is odd, because my younger self would never have picked them lasting longer on my "good" list than Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk.
Old 04-03-15, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm torn about this album:

1. It's likely the best thing they've done since their mid-late ninties heyday. The production on this album is really damned tight, the album doesn't have many filler tracks and more than a few good ones. I think it will sound great in a stadium.
2. The issue is that it sounds more than a little retro and even cheesy. Is Prodigy even relevant any more? They're still trading in their ultra-British chav/unsmiling rock bruiser pose. The silly haircuts and hoodies are still there. Silly quotes like "the dance scene has flatlined and we're the spike" are still there. The arrangements on this album are very similar to stuff they were doing 20 years ago. Also, they're a bit samey: everything blends together on this album.

Lots of bands have a pose but few are more ridiculous and more pervasive than Prodigy's. As Prodigy ages and as Prodigy fails to progress, it becomes even more ridiculous. On the other hand, you could make the same claims of other bands that stuck to their guns in terms of sound and image as they aged (Lemmy, for example). Also, playing this music loud on a good stereo is undeniably a lot of fun to me.

I guess I'd call it a guilty pleasure.
Old 04-10-15, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The new album is good, but i agree it has a retro sound to it. It could have been released mid 90s and fit in just as easy. In a way that's something i like about the Prodigy, they have a unique sound and they don't feel the need to change it too much. If they did then i imagine many would call them sell outs or say that the change in direction was not working. I guess Howlett feels if it aint broke then don't fix it, and to some extent i think its a good policy for the band. They hit their pinnacle with Fat of the Land and i doubt will repeat that quality, although i did like Invaders Must Die and thing each of their albums has been at the least good.

The legacy of the band is fine i would say. They are easily one of the most important dance bands from the 90s and still being together (minus 1) is a miracle. As long as they keep making stuff, i will keep listening.
Old 04-10-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Retro is good.