Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Make a Bold Statement About Music

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Make a Bold Statement About Music

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-14, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Make a Bold Statement About Music

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
This is a large part of what I am saying. If by popular you mean they sold a lot, well sure. But was it one of the most popular genres at any time? I don't think it was.
The original argument was: metal was never popular. And that assertion came with the condition that neither Hair nor Nu metal count as metal. That poisons the well from the get go. Let's not needlessly split hairs, metal, in all it's forms, was/is very popular and successful.

One of the most popular genres of all times? I don't think anyone claimed that.

Good stuff, I think I've enough tonight.
Old 10-20-14, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Considering half the shirts I saw everyday in jr. high and high school between about 1980 - 1986 had Iron Maiden, Priest, Ozzy, Sabbath, Dio, and similar on them, I'd say metal was pretty damn popular. Pretty much every guy, and half the girls my age liked metal. Hair metal (as I define it) didn't really come around until the latter half of the 80's with Poison, Warrant and that stuff.
Heavy metal in the early 80s was Ozzy, Priest, Maiden, Dio, AC/DC, etc.

The mid to late 80s saw a lot of pop-metal with Bands like Poison, Britney Fox, White Lion, Winger, et al becoming popular. The pop crossover probably began with Quiet Riot's cover of Cum on Feel the Noize, which was immensely popular, and then Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet album was a huge pop hit and opened the floodgates for all of these other pop metal bands.
Old 10-20-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Most music sucks. There's maybe 15 artists that have stayed with me.

Pink Floyd is the only "big artist" that is in. The Beatles, Springsteen and lots of other "great" artists are out.
Old 10-20-14, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
The original argument was: metal was never popular. And that assertion came with the condition that neither Hair nor Nu metal count as metal. That poisons the well from the get go. Let's not needlessly split hairs, metal, in all it's forms, was/is very popular and successful.

One of the most popular genres of all times? I don't think anyone claimed that.

Good stuff, I think I've enough tonight.
Cool - sorry for getting so fired up. It's close to the heart for me.
Old 10-21-14, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Sweet a made a bold statement that went so far it got a "beating a dead horse" emoji :-). Just to clarify, I never said Hair or Nu weren't metal, I was just saying that their popularity was due to a movement within metal, not a movement of metal itself. Meaning that the people that loved Bon Jovi were not listening to the likes of Slayer, Sepultura, Bathory, or Death (all different genres of metal, none of them talked about within the mainstream community).

I'm also not saying that just because they liked those groups they should like other parts of metal, but none of the other subgenres of metal were getting the kind of attention hair was. This is talked about in numerous documentaries, namely Metal: A Headbangers Journey and Heavy: The Story of Metal. Metal is a different beast anyways because it does have so many subgenres that make up metal as a whole. I guess the statement would've been less bold had I said black, death, trash, speed, and so on were never popular, but how many would I have to include before it is easier to just say Hair was popular?

Last edited by beavis69; 10-21-14 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-21-14, 08:52 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
That's bold. I'd take a single Nirvana song over Foo Fighers ever existing.
Yep, pretty much. If Foo Fighters disappeared completely I doubt I'd even notice.
Old 10-21-14, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
And I don't doubt collaz's anecdote about how many people wore Maiden, Priest and Ozzy t-shirts. That still doesn't mean they were commercially popular. I'm not saying bands like Ozzy, Priest and Maiden aren't metal - I'm saying they weren't as commercially popular as people think.
An interesting question. I was in high school from 1981-1985 and those bands were played heavily on the radio. But this was the rock station. Their concerts in the area were always sold out. But in the grand scheme of popularity, I'm not sure where they were. (For the record, Iron Maiden was opening for Priest and Ozzy - they were not on the same level at the time. )

Last edited by CRM114; 10-21-14 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-21-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would consider the early 80's metal bands to be hugely popular. Record sales alone don't tell the story. Their tours did very well, they sold tons of merchandise, and were constantly being played on radio and MTV. Only thing that was missing was the female audience, and the hair band movement eventually brought in that element as well.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 10-21-14 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-21-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Yep, pretty much. If Foo Fighters disappeared completely I doubt I'd even notice.
Although his worldview and lyrics never really appealed to me, I thought Cobain was a really excellent songwriter in regards to well-constructed, hooky, melodic yet edgy tunes. I never really got the appeal of Foo Fighters.
Old 10-21-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Bob Dylan's version of "All Along the Watchtower" is superior to Jimi Hendrix's.
Old 10-21-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Bob Dylan's version of "All Along the Watchtower" is superior to Jimi Hendrix's.
Agreed. I'll go even further and say that if Hendrix's AAtW disappeared off the face of the Earth, forever, we'd all be the better for it.

It has now replaced "For What It's Worth" as the ridiculously unimaginative audio cue that is supposed to announce "THE SIXTIES!!!" in movies, television, trailers, etc.
Old 10-21-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Mainstream America has the world's worst taste in music
Old 10-21-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll sum up by saying Maiden Rules! ... saw them 3 times on the Maiden England Tour Dallas, Gdansk, and Austin. (5 if you could the 2 times I saw them on the Seventh Son Tour when the album came out).

Incredible show, best band out there even still ... they play great live and their new material is still really good.
Old 10-21-14, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I've seen them probably 17 times or so. Always put on a great show.

But I'd be happier if they dumped Gers off the side of the stage. He's not needed. I know he's Bruce's best mate and everything, but enough's enough. He just gets in the way. And steals solos off Murray and Smith that they play better.
Old 10-21-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Maiden is still selling out stadiums around the world, while Priest and Motley Crue can't even sell out the local Hard Rock Live. I think their legacy is pretty secure
Old 10-21-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Mainstream music has sucked ever since MTV came along, making substance take a backseat to style. Video really did kill the radio star.

Oops, I forgot the thread title, let me try again.... Video really did kill the radio star.

Also, every single song by Bruce Springsteen sounds like he's drunk or he just woke up. Hell, Frankie Goes To Hollywood's borderline homoerotic version of Born To Run had more energy than Springsteen's.... you can actually hear Bruce yawning during the verses.

-
Old 10-21-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Frankie Goes To Hollywood's borderline homoerotic version of Born To Run had more energy than Springsteen's....
I love that version.
Old 10-22-14, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Phodg
But I'd be happier if they dumped Gers off the side of the stage. He's not needed. I know he's Bruce's best mate and everything, but enough's enough. He just gets in the way. And steals solos off Murray and Smith that they play better.
He's their Bez.

Or Linda McCartney. Maybe they could just give him a tambourine.
Old 10-22-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

The UK, with a population of roughly a quarter of The US, is responsible for almost twice as much great pop/rock music than The US.
Old 10-22-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
The UK, with a population of roughly a quarter of The US, is responsible for almost twice as much great pop/rock music than The US.
I'm not sure that's bold as much as it is simply the truth.
Old 10-22-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'll add to this one...

Although I am a fan of Jimi Hendrix... I think the original or other earlier versions of pretty much everything he covered are better than his versions.

A couple of examples:

The Leaves - "Hey Joe"

<iframe width="320" height="240" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d1XysdgoQzo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Troggs - "Wild Thing"

<iframe width="320" height="240" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Hce74cEAAaE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(note: I couldn't find a video for The Wild Ones)

Hendrix was an amazing guitar player (especially in his "live in concert" recordings), but he did tend to take the fun out of songs he covered.

Last edited by dhmac; 10-22-14 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-22-14, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

The Kinks have the greatest 5-consecutive-album run* of any artist ever, including Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Zeppelin, etc.

*Something Else ('67), Village Green Preservation ('68), Arthur ('69), Lola vs. Powerman ('70), Muswell Hillbillies ('71)
Old 10-22-14, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Street Legal is Bob Dylan's best album.
Old 10-22-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, that's a bold one.
Old 10-22-14, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Maiden is still selling out stadiums around the world, while Priest and Motley Crue can't even sell out the local Hard Rock Live. I think their legacy is pretty secure
The Motley Crue "farewell" tour was very well attended, at least at the summer shed I saw it in, but sadly Priest were only able to sell about a third of the college basketball arena they played in last weekend.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.