Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Genesis - Sum Of The Parts

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Caught this doc on Showtime last night. Very Collins-era centric it seemed... and the timeline jumps were a little odd. But not bad, overall.

Funny how they never got around to mentioning "Calling All Stations" ever existed, though.
Old 10-15-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Genesis - Sum Of The Parts

Interesting indeed since even the recently released compliation album, that includes a lot of solo stuff as well, includes some tracks from CAS.

How much did it focus on the beginning of the Collins era (Trick through Ababcab)? That's the era I like over the Gabriel years and the more pop genre albums after Abacab.
Old 10-15-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up. Will watch it off the Roku app.
Old 10-15-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
Caught this doc on Showtime last night. Very Collins-era centric it seemed... and the timeline jumps were a little odd. But not bad, overall.

Funny how they never got around to mentioning "Calling All Stations" ever existed, though.
Impossible.
Old 10-15-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
How much did it focus on the beginning of the Collins era (Trick through Ababcab)? That's the era I like over the Gabriel years and the more pop genre albums after Abacab.
Duke and Abacab seemed to be the most focused-on albums actually.
Old 10-15-14, 12:26 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.
Old 10-15-14, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Have always liked the "middle" period best. Trick of the Tail/Wind and Wuthering/And Then There Were Three/Seconds Out.
Old 10-15-14, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Have always liked the "middle" period best. Trick of the Tail/Wind and Wuthering/And Then There Were Three/Seconds Out.
Add Duke, which is my favorite, to your list and that is my favorite era.
Old 10-15-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought this was a super fair documentary to both eras, the Collins era is a longer one than Gabriel's so it makes sense that they would cover more of it.
And they also covered much of Gabriel's initial solo career.

If anything the solo careers of the other band members was put to the back burner compared to Collins and Gabriel.
Old 10-16-14, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
I add Duke and Abacab, but that's the stuff. I especially like the versions of the old songs on Seconds Out sung by Collins.
Old 10-16-14, 01:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, thanks for the heads-up. Definitely want to watch this at some point.
Old 10-16-14, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.
I see what you did there
Old 10-16-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

God Awful Documentary. Besides telling us nothing new, the people asked to comment sounded like they were giving facts they read in Wikipedia. Steve Hackett was shat on by the people who made this who largely ignored him and his solo work and was over shadowed by Daryl Steurmer who they used to play Hackett's famous Firth of Fifth solo. Tony Banks came across as an insufferable, domineering ****. Their best album, Selling England by the Pound got about a 30 second mention. Shite.
Old 10-19-14, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This documentary did get me to pickup mike rutherford's solo albums and Tony Banks' The Fugitive. Smallday's Creep is really good but Acting Very Strange had only four good songs, Maxine, Couldn't Get Arrested, I don't wanna know, and Hideaway. I think he rushed the production on that album, it needed more work.
Old 10-20-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I love Peter Gabriel solo, can't stand his stuff with Genesis but love Collins era Genesis post Hackett and love Collins solo as well. Will have to check out this documentary.
Old 10-20-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Their best album, Selling England by the Pound got about a 30 second mention. Shite.
That's all I needed to know. I'll pass on this.
Old 10-29-14, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I saw it and I thought it was pretty good.

I am a fan but not a hardcore but nice getting reacquainted with their work.

Are they working on a new record?

Maybe it would never happen but it would be cool if they made a new record with Gabriel and see how it would sound like after the success of the Collins era.
Old 10-29-14, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tony Banks came across as an insufferable, domineering ****.
That might possibly be due to him being an insufferable, domineering ****.
Old 11-02-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

For my money, it doesn't get any better than Seconds Out Genesis.
Old 11-03-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
For my money, it doesn't get any better than Seconds Out Genesis.
I pretty much agree, though for studio albums, I'd take SEBTP. Seconds Out was the peak for the band as far as Collins singing Gabriel's material mixed with the best post Gabriel work. After this Hackett left, they slowly phased out the Gabriel material (though I did see them do Supper's Ready in 1981) and it was all downhill from there. The drum duets on this album are so amazing and the version of Supper's Ready rivals the original.