Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2015 Nominees (Smiths, L. Reed, Kraftwerk, NIN, Green Day)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2015 Nominees (Smiths, L. Reed, Kraftwerk, NIN, Green Day)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2015 Nominees (Smiths, L. Reed, Kraftwerk, NIN, Green

They should have put the Runaways instead of Joan Jett.
Old 12-16-14, 02:49 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2015 Nominees (Smiths, L. Reed, Kraftwerk, NIN, Green

Originally Posted by CRM114
Thin Lizzy, the 3rd best band out of Scotland.
Given the existence of The Jesus and Mary Chain, Teenage Fanclub, Orange Juice, Primal Scream, Belle and Sebastian, Mogwai, Franz Ferdinand, The Pastels, Frightened Rabbit, Cocteau Twins, and Glasvegas, Thin Lizzy aren't even one of the ten best bands in this sentence. And I quite like Thin Lizzy.
Old 12-16-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Surprised at the outrage I'm seeing all over about Green Day. Despite the fact that their music is extremely derivative, they are the biggest pop-punk band of their generation and have more than a dozen songs that have been radio staples for decades.
Old 12-16-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
What about him?

Richard Thompson should be in before Joan Jett and Green Day, for crying out loud. Joan fucking Jett? Wha?
How many years are people going to express faux outrage that cult artists (yes I'm a huge Richard Thompson fan but recognize he's a cult artist) don't get inducted?
Old 12-16-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Probably said this fifty times before, but Richard Thompson.

Saw a quote in a doc on the Man saying, "Bob Dylan is America's Richard Thompson." Maybe a trifle overstated, but his pioneering work in folk rock with Fairport followed by early solo work followed by classic albums with Linda followed by his long solo career since has made the man a triple-threat legend for performing, guitar playing (session work alone ought to earn him a nomination...has played on so many other big name's albums), and especially songwriting.

Two tribute albums, four retrospective box sets...that says quite a bit. Heck, he deserves to be in just for his gorgeous snub to Playboy resulting in two 1,000 Years of Popular Music tours for musical integrity alone. And he's still releasing fresh, tasty produce.

Bob Mould was quoted advising people to take a great guitarist to see Thompson and then, about three songs in, asking what is going on here? He says the guitarist friend will say he wants to leave because he/she is so embarrassed after contrasting his/her ability with Thompson's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6cI8P4zX-w Check out the finger-tapping around 3:45 (toward end of vid)

A legend among his peers. Musical peers, that is...not Wenner.
Totally agree... and amazed that RnR Hall has ignored him, given that Rolling Stone always loved him, and are probably the chief proponents for getting in most of the great-but-not-popular artists who have made it in.
Old 12-16-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
How many years are people going to express faux outrage that cult artists (yes I'm a huge Richard Thompson fan but recognize he's a cult artist) don't get inducted?
As long as there are acts not being inducted there will be people whining. It will never stop.

Green Day may not be the most original or innovative band ever but they're more deserving than a lot of acts in the RRHOF. Not everyone has to be Leonard Cohen or Lou Reed. Aerosmith is in there. AC/DC is in there. ZZ Top. Van Halen. Red Hot Chili Peppers. Is Green Day really unworthy of being in the HOF among those mainstream rock acts?
Old 12-16-14, 04:24 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I'm not much of a Green Day fan beyond Insomniac, which I love.
I think that will always be my favourite album by them. I started listening to them because of Dookie, bought Insomniac when it came out, and my tolerance for the band has waned to them being totally irrelevant to me... but Insomniac is nice to go back to every once in awhile. That album was great.
Old 12-16-14, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://rockhall.com/inductees/byyear/

If you check out the list of inductees by year...and I'm talking about the "performers" category, not categories such as "early influences, non-performer, legacy", etc....you'll see such household names as Charlie Christian, Lloyd Price, & the Moonglows.

Even better-known acts such as Ritchie Valens or Buffalo Springfield had a meager output (3 posthumous albums by Valens & 3 from BS) and had modest success on the charts. Without "La Bamba" or "For What It's Worth," such acts would be better known due to circumstances leading to their death or due to their later success in other bands or solo acts.

I'd even argue that performers such as Lou Reed and Frank Zappa are sort of "cult" artists (although Zappa sold a surprising amount of records in his early heyday & had a huge output) and were known as much for their image as their music. Reed was well-known for his leather-clad image, but outside of Sweet Jane & Walk on the Wild Side, not hugely successful as a solo artist ( and Velvet Underground kind of defines "cult artist"). Reed had a few successful albums in the early 70's and then a comeback with "New York", but that was about it.

But if it's truly only about recognizing the "famous" to be a member of the Hall of Fame, then Miley Cyrus is a shoo-in. And a whole lot of earlier inductees (some whose careers lasted two years or less & who didn't release a single album while alive) somehow managed to skirt the requirements of long-lasting fame. Lots of artists were famous in their time & sold tons of records (Tommy James, INXS, Duran Duran) but haven't been nominated. Others not only sold lots of records but became household names & big influences (Jethro Tull). You think Green Day is more influential than Tull?

And why should the Sex Pistols be included for one album (#1 in UK, #106 U.S.) simply for being the face of punk for a few months? Britney Spears probably launched as many careers as the Pistols...and her "influence" continues to dominate current pop charts.

Are Husker Du cult artists or mainstream performers? How about the Replacements? Big Star?

I'd also argue that inducting back-up bands such as the E-Street Band...good & important as they are...in the "performers" category kind of opens up an interesting question. Are they part of the individual performers' legacies or are they considered as a separate entity? Would the E-Street Band have sold lots of records & had a 40+ year career without Springsteen? Would Tom Petty have become famous without the Heartbreakers? Seems that Holly would have made it without the Crickets, but they got in anyway. What did they do post-Holly?

Last edited by creekdipper; 12-16-14 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-16-14, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lou Reed, Rock and Roll Animal, great live album. Foxboro Hot Tubs over Green Day. E Street Bland, blah. Perfect back up for Bruce the bland.
Old 12-16-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
I'd also argue that inducting back-up bands such as the E-Street Band...good & important as they are...in the "performers" category kind of opens up an interesting question. Are they part of the individual performers' legacies or are they considered as a separate entity? Would the E-Street Band have sold lots of records & had a 40+ year career without Springsteen? Would Tom Petty have become famous without the Heartbreakers? Seems that Holly would have made it without the Crickets, but they got in anyway. What did they do post-Holly?
That's a fair point. The E-Street band is getting inducted now for one reason and one reason only : They weren't allowed to be inducted at the same time as Bruce because of the rules of the Hall. At the time of Bruce's induction (and I'm not sure it's changed since), the rule was in order to be eligible for induction, you had to be listed as the artist of the album and that album had to be released 25 years before induction. Now Bruce has always preformed with The E Street Band (and his second album referenced them in the title), but for the Hall, those were all Bruce Springsteen solo albums. The band was not eligible until 25 years after 1987's Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band Live 1975-1985 album. That's why they're going in now. I think it's fair and appropriate and better than needlessly inducting Bruce twice.
Old 12-16-14, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I have way more of a problem with the Sex Pistols in the hall than Green Day.
Old 12-17-14, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Joan Jett is in before X or XTC. That's just X's.

Not sure what a "cult artist" is but Leonard Cohen and Laura Nyro are in (although Laura Nyro wrote a bunch of hit songs for others).

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Given the existence of The Jesus and Mary Chain, Teenage Fanclub, Orange Juice, Primal Scream, Belle and Sebastian, Mogwai, Franz Ferdinand, The Pastels, Frightened Rabbit, Cocteau Twins, and Glasvegas, Thin Lizzy aren't even one of the ten best bands in this sentence. And I quite like Thin Lizzy.
Yep, still third. Although Cocteau Twins would be a contender for 3rd.

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
As long as there are acts not being inducted there will be people whining. It will never stop.

Green Day may not be the most original or innovative band ever but they're more deserving than a lot of acts in the RRHOF. Not everyone has to be Leonard Cohen or Lou Reed. Aerosmith is in there. AC/DC is in there. ZZ Top. Van Halen. Red Hot Chili Peppers. Is Green Day really unworthy of being in the HOF among those mainstream rock acts?
No, Green Day deserves it. I don't think anyone is saying they don't. They are just getting in before their time. And those 70's rock bands you mention created were the foundation of classic rock. They were more than just "mainstream acts" - I'm not sure ACDC was ever considered mainstream before Back In Black.

Last edited by CRM114; 12-17-14 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-17-14, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I have way more of a problem with the Sex Pistols in the hall than Green Day.
I'd rather see The Jam, MC5, Bad Brains, The Damned & The Buzzcocks in there instead of those two, but the RRHF is just a popularity contest.
Old 12-17-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There is no question that the Sex Pistols made a huge cultural impact. I remember the mainstream outrage. That said, a whole punk rock contingent should be in.

The Jam, Buzzcocks, The Damned, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Television, The Undertones, X, etc.

Don't get me started on "New Wave" bands....
Old 12-17-14, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

http://eddietrunk.com/1216-the-rr-ho...rd-rock-metal/

From radio/TV host Eddie Trunk:
Well today was that day that happens every year when the R&R HOF gets announced and the blatant insane disrespect for so many rock and metal bands is once again on full display. It is infuriating for so many of us. I know I said I will chill with this because it has become so absurd it actually shouldn’t even be given attention. But many have said it is important for me and others to continue to call this out and shed light on what a joke it is. You see so many have NO IDEA how many bands have been snubbed for decades. They just assume bands like Deep Purple and so many more are already in! Alice Cooper told me when he finally went in after being snubbed like 15 years his friends had just assumed he was in already! Nothing against Green Day but for them to go in 1st ballot 1st time while Deep Purple sits for 20+ years is so insane you can’t even begin to figure it out. Deep Purple actually showed up a couple times on the ballot and this year weren’t even on it at all! I guess Joan Jett finally scored enough points with the Hall to get in but it seems like it took her singing a Nirvana song last year for them to realize it. She is a pioneer for female rock, why it took that is anyone’s guess but trust me, that’s what made them wake up. Nothing against Dave Grohl but they are counting the minutes before they can put him in again with Foos. There are just those acts like Green Day, etc, you can just feel are deemed cool enough (meaning Rolling Stone and critics love them) to get right in. Guns goes 1st time 1st ballot off of let’s be honest one iconic record, Kiss waits 15 years. They are actually putting Lou Reed in a second time now as a solo artist. Perhaps they can get him in a third time for his work with Metallica? I don’t mean to shit on any artists here. Many are deserving even if I’m not a fan. But as I often say when they finally get it right and get someone in it is still so wrong. The fact that Stevie Ray Vaughn is now just getting in is mind blowing! So the private club of the clueless roles in while Purple, Priest, Maiden, Cheap Trick, Thin Lizzy, Dio, Journey, Motorhead, Foreigner, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Motley and so many others get snubbed. The entire thing has become amazingly irrelevant and has zero positive impact on an artists career after they do go in. No bump in ticket or album sales. So you have to just kind of shake your head at the whole thing and think how cool it could be if it was done right. It is important to call out and I’ll keep doing it until it gets fixed or someone lends me a few mil to do one the right way!
Old 12-17-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

Some of those bands listed are just so reviled by rock critics that there's no way they ever get inducted, but I certainly agree the absence of Deep Purple is mind-boggling.
Old 12-17-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

for Eddie Trunk
Old 12-17-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Eddie Trunk is ranting about the RRHoF? GET OUT...
Old 12-17-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

In my mind B5Erik and Eddie Trunk are the same person.
Old 12-20-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't get why Joan gets so much hate because some of her biggest hits were covers (even though many other songs she's known for... Bad Reputation, Cherry Bomb, I Hate Myself For Loving You, Fake Friends to name four, she wrote. I Hate Myself arguably being her second biggest hit after I Love Rock N' Roll too) but yet Linda Ronstadt didn't get that same sort of crap last year when almost every hit she had in her 70's heyday was a cover of a 50s/60s song. And I know we have the "it's not rock unless it sounds like AC/DC" rockists in here, and in that case, Joan's stayed closer to that sound compared to how Linda essentially left her country/rock sound behind in 1983 and spent the rest of her career making standards albums and soft-rock mush this side of Celine Dion (remember "Somewhere Out There"? not exactly rock)... but hey, she started in the 60s... she belongs in the HOF no question, yet Joan's getting as much controversy as Madonna or ABBA or someone who weren't "rock enough" to get in with the big boys (even though the same people who whine about Madonna, ABBA and Donna Summer were A-OK with The Staple Singers, a group who were pretty far away from rock music and weren't 1/10th as successful as those three)... WTF?
Old 12-20-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

If Joan didn't write the majority of her hit songs, so what?

It's not like people would deny Elvis Presley in the HOF over the issue.
Old 12-20-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I don't get why Joan gets so much hate because some of her biggest hits were covers (even though many other songs she's known for... Bad Reputation, Cherry Bomb, I Hate Myself For Loving You, Fake Friends to name four, she wrote. I Hate Myself arguably being her second biggest hit after I Love Rock N' Roll too) but yet Linda Ronstadt didn't get that same sort of crap last year when almost every hit she had in her 70's heyday was a cover of a 50s/60s song. And I know we have the "it's not rock unless it sounds like AC/DC" rockists in here, and in that case, Joan's stayed closer to that sound compared to how Linda essentially left her country/rock sound behind in 1983 and spent the rest of her career making standards albums and soft-rock mush this side of Celine Dion (remember "Somewhere Out There"? not exactly rock)... but hey, she started in the 60s... she belongs in the HOF no question, yet Joan's getting as much controversy as Madonna or ABBA or someone who weren't "rock enough" to get in with the big boys (even though the same people who whine about Madonna, ABBA and Donna Summer were A-OK with The Staple Singers, a group who were pretty far away from rock music and weren't 1/10th as successful as those three)... WTF?
Maybe she's getting shit because of Kenny Laguna?
Old 12-20-14, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho

I think a lot of is misogyny... how dare women belong in a BOYS CLUB. Notice that people have serious issues with Madonna (anyone who didn't think she was as day one an inductee for the 80s as U2, REM, Prince or Metallica is just blind), ABBA (I know ABBA were two men and two women, but 90% of the hits were sung by Agnetha and/or Frida) and Donna Summer (who even recorded a new wave/rock album in the 80s that Rolling Stone called the second best album of the year) being in the Hall Of Fame, but have no problem over Michael Jackson, The Bee Gees, Billy Joel and other successful male acts who were unabashedly as pop as the female counterparts and weren't exactly rockers either (although I do hear some Billy Joel songs on classic rock, his bread and butter was pop/AC). I can see down the road the same people who grow devil horns in rage over Madonna or Donna Summer being in their precious rock hall be perfectly fine if Justin Timberlake gets inducted.

I could see where Joan isn't a day one inductee (and the "day one" thing is why I think Green Day is so controversial, compared to Guns N' Roses and Nirvana who were recent day one inductees who made sense, GD being in day one while many of their contemporaries and influences are sitting it out seems crazy, they could've waited a few more years), but I do think that she's earned her stripes and place in the HOF especially since she's been eligible as a solo artist for about a decade now anyways, I'm surprised she actually didn't get in sooner after the Runaways movie came out and seemed to cement her status. I saw her in 2008 and again in 2010 and as a result of the Runaways movie, I saw many more younger people at her show that time so therefore her music has crossed generations.

Last edited by nothingfails; 12-20-14 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-20-14, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I think a lot of is misogyny...
THERE it is
Old 12-20-14, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho

Leiber and Stoller are in too.

I don't expect a great performer to be a great writer, or vice versa. Although Rolling Stone was a big proponent of the idea that proper rock stars wrote their own songs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.