Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2015 Nominees (Smiths, L. Reed, Kraftwerk, NIN, Green Day)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2015 Nominees (Smiths, L. Reed, Kraftwerk, NIN, Green Day)

Old 10-11-14, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2015 Nominees (Smiths, L. Reed, Kraftwerk, NIN, Green

There should be a giant statue of Ronnie James Dio standing in front of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame like the Colossus of fucking Rhodes.
Old 10-11-14, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2015 Nominees (Smiths, L. Reed, Kraftwerk, NIN, Green

Originally Posted by bootsy
You said if LL gets in anyone can. LL is worthy enough of making the HOF. It was just stupid what you said and still makes no sense. And how is him making it mean everyone else can? The needs some explanation. You really aren't making any sense at all. You argue it's the 'Rock N Roll' HOF not the 'Music' HOF and as to imply only rockers should be in it when that has never been the case. And then you continue with Public Enemy. WTF does PE being in have to do with UFO. Leave PE and any other rappers/non-rockers out of this. All you are doing now is just backtracking and just making no sense the further you go.
there's no implication, You ASSUMED that's what I meant. Even if I thought LL Cool J didnt deserve to be in the HOF, you're dumb opinion holds as much water as my dumb opinion. So who gives a shit? Let it go. I'm out of the Bootsy Vortex

On to the topic at hand;

If Herbie Hancock can be in the HOF, so can UFO
Old 10-11-14, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Without Motorhead or Thin Lizzy there would be no Metallica and a ton of other bands for that matter.

Completely agree. Every one of Thin Lizzy's albums is perfection, and they might have the greatest run of guitarists in rock history. Once you go Black Rose you'll never go back!
Old 10-12-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Scott Gorham, Gary Moore, Brian Robertson & John Sykes

Holy Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!

And Phil Lynott was the man. The only non Caucasian to have a statue in Ireland.
Old 10-12-14, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts

Mott The Hopple should have been in the Hall, at least have singer/songwriter Ian Hunter get in. Here an interview with Craig Ferugson. Craig, was surprised that Ian was not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/r-IccE9hsME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-12-14, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
If (several groups are) in the HOF, so can UFO.
Lets take a different tack on this. Who will be in the HOF first, Chic or UFO?
Old 10-12-14, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
There should be a giant statue of Ronnie James Dio standing in front of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame like the Colossus of fucking Rhodes.
I'm okay with this. We need more giant statues in this country. These life size statues of people in reflective, contemplative poses have to go.
Old 10-12-14, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

I could totally go for that. Hell, I'd donate some cash for its construction!
Old 10-12-14, 04:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bootsy
Shutup idiot. I don't really pay attention to your dumbass anyway. You are just some piece of lint on my clothing. Where's my lint roller at?
bootsy, if memory serves you've been suspended two or more times in the past for calling other members names in Sports Talk and other forums.

Although, where suspensions are a couple of years apart, I'm not one to press for an automatic BANNING, should it happen that moderators receive repeated justified reports for continued hot-headedness (or whatever) you might just find yourself booted for taking up too much mod time.

You are now under notice.

No need to PM me or anything, simply step back from the name-calling and play nice with fellow-members... unless of course you actually wanted your posting privileges to be revoked permanently - in which case just ignore what I've said.

Last edited by benedict; 10-13-14 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Punctuatuion, readability etc
Old 10-12-14, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

:

If Herbie Hancock can be in the HOF, so can UFO
Genres aside. Everyone can agree that the hall blurs the lines sometimes on what is/is not R&R. Debating the merits of inclusion on genre is a dead argument.
What do Herbie Hancock and UFO have in common? Both are very, very good at what they do.
Where do they differ? Herbie Hancock is the kind of guy the president turns out to honor. Nobody but music fans know who the fuck UFO are.
There should be some minimum requisite name recognition for performing artists.

There are many bands who are/were very, very good at what they do/did. They had remarkable careers but never achieved mass recognition. UFO, Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, Robin Trower, Hot Tuna, Mott the Hoople, Montrose, Free, Humble Pie, Savoy Brown, King Crimson etc.

The flip side are bands that have mass recognition but, at the risk of being snobby, their output is not held in the same regard. REO, Foghat, Journey, BTO, Styx, Kansas, etc.

It's the ones that do both that really deserve it, as in Deep Purple, ACDC, Van Halen, Rush, etc.

Gigantic superstars not withstanding.

Yea, it would be super-fucking-cool, to see some of these guys get in but the reality is they will remain the dirty little secret of rock fans and everybody else's loss.
Old 10-12-14, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I dunno, even a giant Ronnie James Dio statue would still be pretty small, no?
Old 10-12-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

The only time the Rock n Roll Hall is even slightly interesting is when bands reunite to take the stage or old members rejoin the band and that doesn't happen very often. GNR, KISS, Van Halen etc. Nirvana's induction would have been absolutly unforgettable if Dave sang a couple of Kurt's songs, but that didn't happen either. Hell even if they didn't perform seeing Duff, Izzy, Slash, Axl and Adler standing on the same stage together would have been intense.

Other than stuff like that the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is pretty un rock n roll.
Old 10-13-14, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Jesus H., it's been 25 years for Green Day. Now I officially feel old.
Though they didn't hit it big til Dookie, which turns 20 this year.

Also, 95% of this thread will have a fit if NWA actually gets in, as that would mean Gangsta Rap is officially in the R&RHOF

Last edited by Rypro 525; 10-13-14 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-13-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
What a boring list. They *really* want Joan Jett & The Blackhearts in there, although quite frankly why? One huge hit (a cover), a smaller hit (a cover), and that's about it. It's not like their work was massively acclaimed.

Smiths, SRV, Green Day, NWA, Sting, Kraftwerk all deserve inclusion. Reed is a *LOCK*.
Actually, Joan Jett and The Blackhearts had nine Top 40 hits, three of which were Top 10. True, most of her hits have been covers, but some like "I Hate Myself For Loving You" (#8) and "Little Liar" (#19) were originals.

While the band's work may not be massively acclaimed, she certainly is. As pioneer of women in Rock & Roll, especially with The Runaways, Jett is one of the most respected and recognizable female artists of the genre. That is why she is up for inclusion.
Old 10-13-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If LL Cool J (whom I like) is in the HOF, anyone can be in.
Aint that the truth.

Phenomenon is UFO's best album IMO. Try that album if you're going to give them a second chance.
I'm partial to Lights Out and Obsession, but essentially I've ended up owning their collections rather than individual albums.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 10-13-14 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Actually, Joan Jett and The Blackhearts had nine Top 40 hits, three of which were Top 10. True, most of her hits have been covers, but some like "I Hate Myself For Loving You" (#8) and "Little Liar" (#19) were originals.

While the band's work may not be massively acclaimed, she certainly is. As pioneer of women in Rock & Roll, especially with The Runaways, Jett is one of the most respected and recognizable female artists of the genre. That is why she is up for inclusion.
And she's still putting on fantastic live shows. I'd like to see her in there, for whatever it's worth.
Old 10-13-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
I dunno, even a giant Ronnie James Dio statue would still be pretty small, no?

If we put Stonehenge next to him, he'll be huge!
Old 10-14-14, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
What a boring list. They *really* want Joan Jett & The Blackhearts in there, although quite frankly why? One huge hit (a cover), a smaller hit (a cover), and that's about it. It's not like their work was massively acclaimed.

Smiths, SRV, Green Day, NWA, Sting, Kraftwerk all deserve inclusion. Reed is a *LOCK*.
I think it's more for Joan Jett herself. She's been kicking rock n roll ass since she was 15 in 1975. She fucking deserves to be in.
Old 10-14-14, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000

Thank you.
Old 10-14-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516

There are many bands who are/were very, very good at what they do/did. They had remarkable careers but never achieved mass recognition. UFO, Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, Robin Trower, Hot Tuna, Mott the Hoople, Montrose, Free, Humble Pie, Savoy Brown, King Crimson etc.

The flip side are bands that have mass recognition but, at the risk of being snobby, their output is not held in the same regard. REO, Foghat, Journey, BTO, Styx, Kansas, etc.

It's the ones that do both that really deserve it, as in Deep Purple, ACDC, Van Halen, Rush, etc.

Gigantic superstars not withstanding.

Yea, it would be super-fucking-cool, to see some of these guys get in but the reality is they will remain the dirty little secret of rock fans and everybody else's loss.
Based on this criteria it will be interesting when artists for the New Millenium are considered since outside of Radiohead the very few rock oriented acts who did well commercially were almost outright derided critically(Creed,Maroon 5,Train)

Meanwhile Jay Z,Kanye West,Daft Punk and Outkast are probably the most respected as well as being extremly succesful commercially. I can't really see any reason why any of those 4 other then genre hatred would not go in on the first ballot.
Old 10-14-14, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
Mott The Hopple should have been in the Hall, at least have singer/songwriter Ian Hunter get in. Here an interview with Craig Ferugson. Craig, was surprised that Ian was not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/r-IccE9hsME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Amen. What a band. I loved them because they were heavy rock with a vulnerable side. Should have been as big as Queen.
Old 10-14-14, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
Based on this criteria it will be interesting when artists for the New Millenium are considered since outside of Radiohead the very few rock oriented acts who did well commercially were almost outright derided critically(Creed,Maroon 5,Train)

Meanwhile Jay Z,Kanye West,Daft Punk and Outkast are probably the most respected as well as being extremly succesful commercially. I can't really see any reason why any of those 4 other then genre hatred would not go in on the first ballot.
They won't be eligible for a while, but I think Arcade Fire is trending very well. If they can continue to put out a few more good albums I think they have a great shot. Although, any time you have a husband and wife in the band it's volatile; if they ever split up, the band would probably go with it.
Old 10-15-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Amen. What a band. I loved them because they were heavy rock with a vulnerable side. Should have been as big as Queen.
Maybe would have if everybody didn't start leaving the band as soon as they started making it big.
All The Young Dudes,which has there best known song, came and went unnoticed. MOTT, with the support of their first single to get U.S airplay(All The Way To Memphis) was a hit and they were elevated to playing sports arenas. Mick Ralphs quits for Bad Company. THE HOOPLE with no airplay was still a big album, probably riding on success of Mott, then Hunter left. What might have been?
Old 12-16-14, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

Green Day, Lou Reed, Joan Jett, Ringo Starr Lead 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz3M4O7inpd
Old 12-16-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Green Day...Lead 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.