Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2015 Nominees (Smiths, L. Reed, Kraftwerk, NIN, Green Day)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2015 Nominees (Smiths, L. Reed, Kraftwerk, NIN, Green Day)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2015 Nominees (Smiths, L. Reed, Kraftwerk, NIN, Green

This band should without question be in the R&RHOF if musical quality and influence on subsequent musical generations had anything to do with it...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qd6UQ3GVZ7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hS9lRO4clEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/D3znZE5aZUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-11-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2015 Nominees (Smiths, L. Reed, Kraftwerk, NIN, Green

I've never gotten the appeal of UFO.

I cut my teeth on AC/DC, Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Dio, Ozzy, and the Scorps. When I was finally able to hear some of the influential and critically acclaimed bands like UFO, Saxon, and Thin Lizzy, I was expecting to be blown away, but found them to be generic and forgettable.
Old 10-11-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I've never gotten the appeal of UFO.

I cut my teeth on AC/DC, Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Dio, Ozzy, and the Scorps. When I was finally able to hear some of the influential and critically acclaimed bands like UFO, Saxon, and Thin Lizzy, I was expecting to be blown away, but found them to be generic and forgettable.
Get out of my head!

I'll have to try it again, but when I finally got around to getting a copy of Lights Out, I was underwhelmed.
Old 10-11-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like a lot of UFO's material, but I wouldn't put them in the Hall. Especially in front of others far more deserving.
Old 10-11-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I like a lot of UFO's material, but I wouldn't put them in the Hall. Especially in front of others far more deserving.
If LL Cool J (whom I like) is in the HOF, anyone can be in.

Phenomenon is UFO's best album IMO. Try that album if you're going to give them a second chance.
Old 10-11-14, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,463 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Marc Bolan/T.Rex
is Canned Heat in?
always felt Johnny Winter deserved it
ditto to the inclusion of Steppenwolf
Always felt Tommy James and Shonells deserved it-Hanky Panky, Mony Mony, Crimson and Clover, Crystal Blue Persuasion, Draggin' The Line
T. Rex isn't in? Jeez. I guess the most important thing is having a hit in the US.

Smiths -- Don't know. I thought they just did whiny songs like Bread.
L. Reed -- One of Rolling Stones' favorite artists. But I prefer the Velvet Underground.
Joan Jett -- Hard working, long lasting, and (most importantly) a woman rocker. Probably getting in.
Kraftwerk -- Belongs. Original and influential.
NIN -- Belongs. Original and influential.
Green Day -- Unoriginal and influenced. They need to wait until after Herman's Hermits.
Old 10-11-14, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
If LL Cool J (whom I like) is in the HOF, anyone can be in.

Phenomenon is UFO's best album IMO. Try that album if you're going to give them a second chance.
If you like him then you wouldn't say something so stupid and so wrong/incorrect.
Old 10-11-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

They really need to rename this to just 'Music Hall of Fame'
Old 10-11-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bootsy
If you like him then you wouldn't say something so stupid and so wrong/incorrect.
It's called the "Rock N' Roll" hall of fame. Not the "music" hall of fame. If they are going to make room for artists from other genres then anyone can get in. Don't know why you would assume the worst.
Old 10-11-14, 04:18 PM
Banned

It's called the "Rock N' Roll" hall of fame. Not the "music" hall of fame. If they are going to make room for artists from other genres then anyone can get in. Don't know why you would assume the worst.
Wow still on this it's called 'Rock N Roll' bs. That argument went away a long time ago and you are still using that lameness. They have been making room for other artists from other genres for a long time now where the hell have you been. That isn't an assumption that's a fact. And as VHS? said they do need to call it the Music Hall of Fame.
Old 10-11-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow still on this it's called 'Rock N Roll' bs. That argument went away a long time ago and you are still using that lameness. They have been making room for other artists from other genres for a long time now where the hell have you been. That isn't an assumption that's a fact. And as VHS? said they do need to call it the Music Hall of Fame.
Yeah...... So what's the problem with what I said since, in you're own way, it's the same thing? Anybody can be in the hall of fame. Would you have been happy if i had said Hank Williams instead of LL cool J?

Let's call a spade a spade; the HOF should be called "The Rolling Stone" HOF. They own it.
Old 10-11-14, 05:09 PM
Banned

Yeah...... So what's the problem with what I said since, in you're own way, it's the same thing? Anybody can be in the hall of fame. Would you have been happy if i had said Hank Williams instead of LL cool J?

Let's call a spade a spade; the HOF should be called "The Rolling Stone" HOF. They own it.
The problem is you said if LL gets in anyone can get in which is absolutely ridiculous. I'd be happy if you said nothing at all on this subject especially to be bluntly honest.
Old 10-11-14, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem is you said if LL gets in anyone can get in which is absolutely ridiculous. I'd be happy if you said nothing at all on this subject especially to be bluntly honest.
It's like pulling teeth with you. Just tell the truth. You made assumptions about my statement instead of taking them as face value. You said it was stupid, but it only works if your pre conceived notions are correct, which are not. As soon as you see my explanation you back off by saying, eh.... i just didnt like it. It's OK. I get where you're coming from and in a lot of other cases, you'd be right. This time was not one of those times.

Let's move on and stay on topic.

If Grandmaster Flash is in the HOF, so can UFO.

Last edited by Ringmaster; 10-11-14 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-11-14, 06:31 PM
Banned

It's like pulling teeth with you. Just tell the truth. You made assumptions about my statement instead of taking them as face value. You said it was stupid, but it only works if your pre conceived notions are correct, which are not. As soon as you see my explanation you back off by saying, eh.... i just didnt like it. It's OK. I get where you're coming from and in a lot of other cases, you'd be right. This time was not one of those times.

Let's move on and stay on topic.

If Grandmaster Flash is in the HOF, so can UFO.
LOL I didn't make any assumptions. I responded to what you wrote and it was ridiculous. No assumptions about that.
Old 10-11-14, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL I didn't make any assumptions. I responded to what you wrote and it was ridiculous. No assumptions about that.
For the umpteenth time, what was ridiculous about using LL Cool J as an example? Should it have been someone you don't care about? I apologize to everyone here for this ridiculous disscusion. I had no idea I was talking to LL Cool J's publicist the whole time.

Back to business.

If Public Enemy is in the HOF, so can UFO.
Old 10-11-14, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Please avoid getting pulled into the bootsy vortex. It never ends well.
Old 10-11-14, 07:23 PM
Banned

For the umpteenth time, what was ridiculous about using LL Cool J as an example? Should it have been someone you don't care about? I apologize to everyone here for this ridiculous disscusion. I had no idea I was talking to LL Cool J's publicist the whole time.

Back to business.

If Public Enemy is in the HOF, so can UFO.
You said if LL gets in anyone can. LL is worthy enough of making the HOF. It was just stupid what you said and still makes no sense. And how is him making it mean everyone else can? The needs some explanation. You really aren't making any sense at all. You argue it's the 'Rock N Roll' HOF not the 'Music' HOF and as to imply only rockers should be in it when that has never been the case. And then you continue with Public Enemy. WTF does PE being in have to do with UFO. Leave PE and any other rappers/non-rockers out of this. All you are doing now is just backtracking and just making no sense the further you go.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Please avoid getting pulled into the bootsy vortex. It never ends well.

Shutup idiot. I don't really pay attention to your dumbass anyway. You are just some piece of lint on my clothing. Where's my lint roller at?
Old 10-11-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

^And here I was starting to like you too.
Old 10-11-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 10-11-14, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Misfits should be nominated for the next round.
Based on the HOF's past record for nominating underground punk bands, I'd put the chances of that happening around 0%.
Old 10-11-14, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

And if UFO gets in so should UTFO

Roxanne, Roxanne, I wanna be your man.
Old 10-11-14, 08:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by inri222
And if UFO gets in so should UTFO

Roxanne, Roxanne, I wanna be your man.
Nice.
Old 10-11-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seriously. When does Ronnie James Dio get in. Solo and Sabbath.
Old 10-11-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^

What about Rainbow? Wouldn't that be some shit if Rainbow gets in before Deep Purple?
Old 10-11-14, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha. These threads are always gold.

bootsy

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.