Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tom Morello is a douchebag.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/0...le-restaurant/

Of all the musicians to throw a temper tantrum when he doesn't get special treatment...
Old 09-30-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Tom Morello is a douchebag.

But he is the Nightwatchman.
Old 09-30-14, 02:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I always thought that the "Do you know who I am?" attitude was something that Morello raged against.
Old 09-30-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I've met Tom and he's always been gracious and humble. That owner should not have responded the way he did, though. He's a businessman , so there's no reason for a crass response.
Old 09-30-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

The one time I had a brief interaction with him he seemed nice enough as well. At the same time, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that he is insufferable to be around at times.
Old 09-30-14, 03:33 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Craft brews on paraaaaaaaddddddeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-14, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I've met Tom and he's always been gracious and humble. That owner should not have responded the way he did, though. He's a businessman , so there's no reason for a crass response.
Seriously? Not only did he act like an entitled prick, he also called the restaurant "anti-worker" with absolutely no justification to do so just to try to cram his workers' rights agenda into a situation that had nothing to do with it. That the restaurant owner responded by defending his worker over the asshole celebrity was the absolute perfect response.
Old 09-30-14, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
Seriously? Not only did he act like an entitled prick, he also called the restaurant "anti-worker" with absolutely no justification to do so just to try to cram his workers' rights agenda into a situation that had nothing to do with it. That the restaurant owner responded by defending his worker over the asshole celebrity was the absolute perfect response.
Well, that's if you believe that hipster restaurant owner's response. I'll vouch for Tom any day.
Old 09-30-14, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
I always thought that the "Do you know who I am?" attitude was something that Morello raged against.
You mean, while playing the MTV Music Awards - sponsored by PepsiCo?
Old 09-30-14, 05:10 PM

Well, that's if you believe that hipster restaurant owner's response. I'll vouch for Tom any day.
Morello posted to Twitter that he went to IHOP after this restaurant refused to cater to him. IHOP has been more active in lobbying against raising the minimum wage than almost any other company. He's a hypocrite.
Old 09-30-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
Agreed.

I suspect there was a great deal of "don't you know who I am?" and those that drop that line don't like it when it doesn't get them shit. Not the first rocker/sports star/actor to try it in Seattle and end up leaving throwing a hissy fit.
Old 09-30-14, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
The one time I had a brief interaction with him he seemed nice enough as well. At the same time, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that he is insufferable to be around at times.
Ditto.

If he would have simply left it at what happened, instead of the rest of the "anti-worker" and "spread the word" bullshit, I would have thought the restaurant's response to be over the top.
Old 09-30-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the mere act of going out for a drink at a bar tantamount to bowing down to the great capitalist devil?
Old 09-30-14, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by cungar
Is the mere act of going out for a drink at a bar tantamount to bowing down to the great capitalist devil?
Yes.
Old 09-30-14, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Someone should respond to Tom's suggestion of 'spread the word' with 'fuck you, I wont do what you tell me'
Old 09-30-14, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

I wonder how much the people who manufacture Rage Against The Machine CDs get paid an hour? Actually why am I having to pay for Rage Against The Machine music?

I am so liberal that if I leaned any more to the left I would fall over but I hate it when you get these musicians/actors who try to make political statements. You don't like something write a song or make a movie about it. Until you pay the Guatemalan nanny who is raising your children and the Mexicans who keeps your grounds nice and pretty $250,000 a year shut the fuck up.

Last edited by stvn1974; 09-30-14 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

....Ok guy. Tom showed poor taste in twitter rant and owner responded knowing there would be backlash against the restaurant if he didn't. Probably could of gone without the "not letting bigger stars in" as that just seems like butthurt.
Old 10-01-14, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Morello's follow-up doesn't make him sound much better. 'Hey, I kind of didn't want to go to the restaurant because I heard they were in opposition to this thing I advocate, but I figured hell, I'm hungry.' As for the rest of his explanation, he admits name-dropping and does kind of sound like a douche. Even if the restaurant was empty, they're under no obligation to serve him.

Also, if I was the restaurant owner, I'd be equally annoyed with the article writer changing my statement to 'could give less of a shit.'
Old 10-01-14, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sorta believing the Morello story more.
Old 10-01-14, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I wonder how much the people who manufacture Rage Against The Machine CDs get paid an hour? Actually why am I having to pay for Rage Against The Machine music?

I am so liberal that if I leaned any more to the left I would fall over but I hate it when you get these musicians/actors who try to make political statements. You don't like something write a song or make a movie about it. Until you pay the Guatemalan nanny who is raising your children and the Mexicans who keeps your grounds nice and pretty $250,000 a year shut the fuck up.
Morello has a Guatemalan nanny and Mexican landscapers? Or are you just generalizing?

I don't have an issue with people supporting causes and not being 100% consistent in their views. Certain things are nearly impossible to get around the way our society is structured. For instance, how many restaurants in Seattle DO pay $15 and hour? Is Morello only able to use those?

(For the record, I have no interest in Morello or his music.)
Old 10-01-14, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

The doorman's side of the story:
I asked doorman Eric Roach to describe the scene at the 5 Point when Morello and his crew rolled up. "When he showed up, I had just cleared out a bunch of people and turned away a couple of parties," Roach said in a phone interview. "It was Decibel Festival last weekend, and the 5 Point was really, really busy. I came inside to check on the bartender a couple of times and found him in the closet leaning against the wall saying, ‘Nobody should have to deal with this.’ There was only one bartender and one waitress on that night. Just before Morello shows up, both the bartender and the waitress adamantly did not want to have anybody else in the bar. I’d already gotten rid of everybody that was on the porch. We were already over-served. When Morello shows up with his group, maybe a little before 1 a.m., I had to say, ‘I’m sorry. We’re full right now. I’m not letting anybody in.’ It was at the height of our busyness.

Roach says Morello didn't seem drunk or drugged up.

"In fact, he didn’t come off as being a jerk, other than that he wouldn’t take 'no' for an answer," Roach said. "One of the first things out of his mouth is, ‘Does the owner like Rage Against the Machine?’ I said, ‘Probably, but we’re full right now.’ Normally I try to be witty with my answers, but the whole party kept trying to get in. ‘Isn’t there someplace in the back you can put us, away from everybody?’ I said, ‘No, man, it’s not that kind of place. We’re really small; I don’t have any room for you.’ They just kept asking me. I’m sure I looked irritated. The fact that he thought I was rude may be his interpretation of my irritation.

"At the point where he said, 'We’re gonna go to IHOP,’ I said, ‘Great. IHOP’s up the street. They’re a lot bigger than we are. Have a good time.’ He said, ‘I’m gonna tweet you.’ I told him, ‘My name’s Roach—R-O-A-C-H, if you’re gonna tweet about me.’ Then he actually did tweet about me. Whatever… The rudest thing he did was the tweet. Really, dude? You took time out of your day to insult me, the door guy who won’t let you into a place? I would’ve loved to have helped the guy. We’ve helped all kinds of stars. Hell, Sinbad was there a couple of weeks ago—had a great time."

Roach said the whole exchange lasted only about five minutes and then the entourage left, annoyed. "The whole time I kept thinking there was a hidden agenda; to know that he was there supporting 15 Now and how David [Meinert] was adamantly against Sawant’s approach to the minimum-wage increase. It doesn’t seem like much of a coincidence to me."

If you're wondering, yes, Roach is a Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave fan. And, no, he's not going to jettison their music from his collection. He really wished he could've helped them out. "The best things about those bands are the singers, anyway," Roach concluded. "Zack de la Rocha and Chris Cornell are two of my favorite singers. If I wasn’t in the business [Roach is also a stagehand for various venues], I probably wouldn’t know who Tom Morello was." ZING.

A subsequent tweet [see below] by Morello made conciliatory gestures, but even those had conditions, and Meinert appears to have forgiven him for the negative outburst. After all, this ultimately resulted in major publicity for his eatery/bar. If this incident proves anything, though, it's that even lefty-activist musicians can act like obnoxious prima donnas with the best worst of 'em.
http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/arc...denied-service

Like the radio stations say, "More rock; less talk."
Old 10-01-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

He turned down Tom Morello and took care of a star like Sinbad!
Old 10-01-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
He turned down Tom Morello and took care of a star like Sinbad!
Old 10-01-14, 11:01 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Message to Tom Morello:

Know Your Enemy
Old 10-01-14, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

The doorman sounds like the most grounded person in all this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.