Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tom Morello is a douchebag.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Tom Morello is a douchebag.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-14, 01:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Tom Morello is a douchebag.

"There was only one bartender and one waitress on that night."

A Bartender, A Waitress, and A Doorman is the name of the next Jean-Luc Godard flick in which he shows us 45 minutes of cats using litter boxes and another hour or so of a fish flopping around, just out of reach of the river from which it came.
Old 10-01-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't really care less about Morello or this sitution. I just wanted to say the RATM was an overrated band and that Morello is a pretentious and irritating guitarist.
Old 10-01-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I couldn't really care less about Morello or this sitution. I just wanted to say the RATM was an overrated band and that Morello is a pretentious and irritating guitarist.
Cool story, bro.
Old 10-01-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
The doorman's side of the story:
I asked doorman Eric Roach to describe the scene at the 5 Point when Morello and his crew rolled up. "When he showed up, I had just cleared out a bunch of people and turned away a couple of parties," Roach said in a phone interview. "It was Decibel Festival last weekend, and the 5 Point was really, really busy. I came inside to check on the bartender a couple of times and found him in the closet leaning against the wall saying, ‘Nobody should have to deal with this.’ There was only one bartender and one waitress on that night. Just before Morello shows up, both the bartender and the waitress adamantly did not want to have anybody else in the bar. I’d already gotten rid of everybody that was on the porch. We were already over-served. When Morello shows up with his group, maybe a little before 1 a.m., I had to say, ‘I’m sorry. We’re full right now. I’m not letting anybody in.’ It was at the height of our busyness.

Roach says Morello didn't seem drunk or drugged up.

"In fact, he didn’t come off as being a jerk, other than that he wouldn’t take 'no' for an answer," Roach said. "One of the first things out of his mouth is, ‘Does the owner like Rage Against the Machine?’ I said, ‘Probably, but we’re full right now.’ Normally I try to be witty with my answers, but the whole party kept trying to get in. ‘Isn’t there someplace in the back you can put us, away from everybody?’ I said, ‘No, man, it’s not that kind of place. We’re really small; I don’t have any room for you.’ They just kept asking me. I’m sure I looked irritated. The fact that he thought I was rude may be his interpretation of my irritation.

"At the point where he said, 'We’re gonna go to IHOP,’ I said, ‘Great. IHOP’s up the street. They’re a lot bigger than we are. Have a good time.’ He said, ‘I’m gonna tweet you.’ I told him, ‘My name’s Roach—R-O-A-C-H, if you’re gonna tweet about me.’ Then he actually did tweet about me. Whatever… The rudest thing he did was the tweet. Really, dude? You took time out of your day to insult me, the door guy who won’t let you into a place? I would’ve loved to have helped the guy. We’ve helped all kinds of stars. Hell, Sinbad was there a couple of weeks ago—had a great time."

Roach said the whole exchange lasted only about five minutes and then the entourage left, annoyed. "The whole time I kept thinking there was a hidden agenda; to know that he was there supporting 15 Now and how David [Meinert] was adamantly against Sawant’s approach to the minimum-wage increase. It doesn’t seem like much of a coincidence to me."

If you're wondering, yes, Roach is a Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave fan. And, no, he's not going to jettison their music from his collection. He really wished he could've helped them out. "The best things about those bands are the singers, anyway," Roach concluded. "Zack de la Rocha and Chris Cornell are two of my favorite singers. If I wasn’t in the business [Roach is also a stagehand for various venues], I probably wouldn’t know who Tom Morello was." ZING.

A subsequent tweet [see below] by Morello made conciliatory gestures, but even those had conditions, and Meinert appears to have forgiven him for the negative outburst. After all, this ultimately resulted in major publicity for his eatery/bar. If this incident proves anything, though, it's that even lefty-activist musicians can act like obnoxious prima donnas with the best worst of 'em.
My question from this is: if the restaurant knew that Decibel Festival was on, why didn't they anticipate more business and hire more people to help out that night? That's just bad management.
Old 10-01-14, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Maybe they didn't have enough money since they had to pay their current employees $15 an hour.
Old 10-01-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
My question from this is: if the restaurant knew that Decibel Festival was on, why didn't they anticipate more business and hire more people to help out that night? That's just bad management.
During an anime-con/fest in LA a couple of years ago one of my favorite Japanese places in Little Tokyo ran out of rice and noodles...I don't think establishments can always anticipate these things. I know this from a buddy who owns a bar in LA, one year the event might bring in no one to your place, and the next a boatload of people--it can be hard to know until it happens.
Old 10-01-14, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been there. It's a little hole in the wall a few blocks down from the space needle.

Morello is teh douches.
Old 10-02-14, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

He's 50, he's too old for this shit. It's Justin Bieber shit.
Old 10-02-14, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: Tom Morello is a 16,000 douchebag.

Originally Posted by RichC2
He's 50, he's too old for this shit. It's Justin Bieber shit.
But Tom Morello has more food for thought...
Tom Morello Addresses PancakeGate And 5 Point Cafe’s “Hipster Version Of A Studio 54 Doorman”
Oct 1st '14 by James Rettig @ 11:05am

Tom Morello has addressed what he’s calling “Pancake-Gate” in a long Facebook post that sees the Rage Against The Machine guitarist try to justify his actions against Seattle’s 5 Point Cafe and provide context to the whole situation. (For those of you just tuning in, see here for how this all started.) Morello goes into a detailed blow-by-blow of what he says happened that night, including a long conversation he says he had with the doorman, who he calls “a hipster version of a Studio 54 doorman.” (The doorman in question, who goes by the name Roach, gives his own story.) Apparently, after not getting into 5 Point, Morello and his party made their way over to “the trusty, attitude free, IHOP where we enjoyed a drama free stack of hotcakes.”

The cafe has responded again via their Facebook page, saying, “Next time don’t call, iHop is glad to take your money and donate it to right wing politicians so keep going there and supporting the very thing you claim to rage against. Pathetic.”

There’s more to Morello’s letter, but it’s also a lot more fun just to read, so here it is:
Subject: Pancake-Gate

I regret that my twitter salvo about the treatment I received at a Seattle restaurant and the subsequent digital tempest in a tea pot may have taken away from the important work of those organizing for a $15min wage and the Seattle show I played on their behalf.

When next in Seattle I would be happy sit down over a beverage–or sooner on the phone–and discuss the matter to conclusion with all concerned. The restaurant, the incident and my bruised feelings don’t matter. What does matter is the hard, tireless work put in by those committed to fighting for a more just world.

If interested however here is the non-140 character blow by blow of the “Encounter At @The5PointCafe”:

Our team of musicians flew to Seattle for a benefit show for 15 Now, the grassroots campaign to raise the minimum wage to $15. I’ve long been a supporter of this particular campaign as well as the national drive for a living wage.

The show itself at the former Off Ramp went great. I was reunited with former @Audioslave band mate @ChrisCornell for the first time in years and together with the raucous crowd it was really a special evening. A good deal of money was raised for the 15Now cause and we wandered into the Seattle late night happy…and hungry.

Two of our hosts from 15Now a band mate of mine, a woman from management, and my brother from Kenya comprised our party. Someone suggested Five Points, a spot I remember fondly from back in the day. I had some reservations because one of our 15Now friends said that while the owner was a good guy and treated staff well, the restaurant itself was on “the wrong side of the minimum wage issue” and had attempted to water down the $15min wage legislation by drawing out the implementation period and adjusting for tips to make it more palatable to small businesses. I am 100% on the side of an undiluted $15Now initiative which is in my view the only “pro worker” position, but hey we were hungry so let’s give it a shot.

The restaurant was packed and spirited and we asked the doorman “party of 6 for dinner?” He said they were at capacity and it would probably be a 10min wait. No problem. Then ten people or so left the restaurant. “Can we come in now? Those people just left.” No. “Why?” I’m not letting anyone in. “Wait a second. Are you at capacity or are you not letting anyone in?” I’m not letting you in. “So you’re no longer at capacity but we can’t come in?” No. “Um ok. How about we order take out and sit at one of these 20 empty tables outside?” No. “Ok what’s really going on here dude? Some of us have traveled a long way. He’s from Kenya! I’m from the 90′s!” I’m not letting you in. “Say, is your manager here? Maybe he’s a Rage Against The Machine fan? He might even raise your pay to $15 an hour!” More people leave the restaurant. It’s clearly under capacity. Then our friends see that inside the restaurant several tables are occupied by friends of ours from 15Now. “Hey look we don’t even need a table. We’ll just join our friends who are already inside?” No. “Really? Why not?” I’m not letting you in. “Can we just go TALK to them and see if they have room for us?” No. It was like a hipster version of a Studio 54 doorman. At that point my band mate made a flavorful declaration and we decamped to the trusty, attitude free, IHOP where we enjoyed a drama free stack of hotcakes.

To be clear: at no point did myself or anyone in our party “demand special treatment”, a “private room” or any other ridiculousness.

I was however pissed at the rudeness of the doorman to my friends and my younger brother–of whom I’m quite protective. I question what underlying motives the doorman may have had. Bad day? Anti-Kenyan? Preferred the Spin Doctors?

Whatever the cause, it is unfortunate that MY actions in response have diverted attention from the great work done by 15Now. “Twitter bitching” is counterproductive as it invites grossly misinformed conjecture not easily dispelled in 140 characters. Lesson learned.

As I’ve said before Seattle is truly an advanced society with its $15 minimum wage, its legal pot, it’s gay marriage, its great music and its Seattle Seahawks.

Next time we’ll call ahead.

TM
And here’s the cafe’s response:
Maybe he was “Anti-Kenyan”?? Ok, enough Tom. That’s fucked up. Stop trying to portray the doorperson as a racist. That really sucks and is crazy abusive. Done with you. Maybe you don’t realize you were acting the punk, but you were. Just because 10 people leave a place doesn’t mean the place still isn’t over capacity. Ugh. You should really STFU. I was totally willing to put an end to this but now you’re really actually pissing me off.

And I tried to “water down” the minimum wage by asking for a tip credit with a $10 base with increases tied to the CPI? Get it right man. You’re looking ignorant.

Next time don’t call, iHop is glad to take your money and donate it to right wing politicians so keep going there and supporting the very thing you claim to rage against. Pathetic.
http://www.stereogum.com/1709015/tom...eres-the-beef/

Clearly we need a Pancake Summit.
Old 10-02-14, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I like Tom and Rage, but I don't see the big deal in admitting that guys you like can be douches sometimes. Seems like he was here.
Old 10-02-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah, he should climb out of his own asshole.
Old 10-02-14, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Is the mere act of going out for a drink at a bar tantamount to bowing down to the great capitalist devil?
No.
Old 10-02-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tom was eloquent in his response and that fucking restaurant owner has to get all crass again. Sorry, I'm with Tom on this one.

Si, se puede.
Old 10-02-14, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Leave Tom Morello alone!
Old 10-02-14, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Yeah, he should climb out of his own asshole.
That would make an awesome animated gif.
Old 10-02-14, 11:44 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just find it funny how easy it was for him to drop his principles because he was hungry.
Old 10-03-14, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Maybe he was “Anti-Kenyan”?? Ok, enough Tom. That’s fucked up. Stop trying to portray the doorperson as a racist. That really sucks and is crazy abusive. Done with you. Maybe you don’t realize you were acting the punk, but you were. Just because 10 people leave a place doesn’t mean the place still isn’t over capacity. Ugh. You should really STFU. I was totally willing to put an end to this but now you’re really actually pissing me off.

And I tried to “water down” the minimum wage by asking for a tip credit with a $10 base with increases tied to the CPI? Get it right man. You’re looking ignorant.

Next time don’t call, iHop is glad to take your money and donate it to right wing politicians so keep going there and supporting the very thing you claim to rage against. Pathetic".

Spot on response to the BS TM was putting out there. TM is indeed in a deep hole and should stop digging.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 10-03-14 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-03-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the restaurant was packed and spirited and we asked the doorman “party of 6 for dinner?” he said they were at capacity and it would probably be a 10min wait. No problem. Then ten people or so left the restaurant. “can we come in now? Those people just left.” no. “why?” i’m not letting anyone in. “wait a second. Are you at capacity or are you not letting anyone in?” i’m not letting you in. “so you’re no longer at capacity but we can’t come in?” no. “um ok. How about we order take out and sit at one of these 20 empty tables outside?” no. “ok what’s really going on here dude? Some of us have traveled a long way. He’s from kenya! I’m from the 90′s!” i’m not letting you in. “say, is your manager here? Maybe he’s a rage against the machine fan? He might even raise your pay to $15 an hour!” more people leave the restaurant. It’s clearly under capacity. Then our friends see that inside the restaurant several tables are occupied by friends of ours from 15now. “hey look we don’t even need a table. We’ll just join our friends who are already inside?” no. “really? Why not?” i’m not letting you in. “can we just go talk to them and see if they have room for us?” no. It was like a hipster version of a studio 54 doorman. At that point my band mate made a flavorful declaration and we decamped to the trusty, attitude free, ihop where we enjoyed a drama free stack of hotcakes.

To be clear: At no point did myself or anyone in our party “demand special treatment”, a “private room” or any other ridiculousness.
t.m. Ftw!
Old 10-03-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Old 10-04-14, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Tom Morello is a 16,000 douchebag.

Originally Posted by wishbone
But Tom Morello has more food for thought...http://www.stereogum.com/1709015/tom...eres-the-beef/

Clearly we need a Pancake Summit.
And mad Tom grabs his stack of cakes with a fist full of steel!
Old 10-04-14, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
t.m. Ftw!
No matter how hard you wish it, RATM is not getting back together.
Old 10-04-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
No matter how hard you wish it, RATM is not getting back together.
As long as they "jam" every once in a while. I'm ok.
Old 10-04-14, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Inside Out (Zack's first band)>>>>>>RATM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Wsrc2t2k-_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by inri222; 10-04-14 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-05-14, 08:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Tom was eloquent in his response and that fucking restaurant owner has to get all crass again. Sorry, I'm with Tom on this one.
I get that you met Morello & found him to be a nice guy, but his "response" (the second one...after his twitter ranting) comes across to someone who hasn't met him as being self-serving and attempting to paint him and his entourage as saints ("protective of my little brother"...oh, puh-leeze). And others have pointed out how quickly he was willing to sell out his principles just because "we were hungry"...when there were plenty of other eating spots available. Or maybe they could have gone to a convenience store and bought some chips & dip. Or maybe they could have just gone hungry until they got back to wherever they were going...for someone who admires hunger strikers, seems that Ole Tom is a bit hypocritical.

And that's what I have against him. I'm linking a RS article/brief interview I remember reading a few years back in which Morello (the big union supporter) admits that he doesn't know if his nanny belongs to a union and appears rather embarrassed ("Ooh, good question...the nanny, to the best of my knowledge, is not. That's something I should inquire about, as a good union employer. That's a good one!"). Typical of many blowhards who love to throw stones at all of the greedy devils elsewhere but can't take the time to apply his principles at home (although he obviously DOES have plenty of time to engage in a slap-fest with restaurant owners). Also note that he claims that when he was four (and reading Marxist 'theology'), a girl in day care called him a (rhymes with jigger) and his mom told him to "slug her"...which he claims he did. Rage at an early age!

In the same article, he claims to read from Mao's Little Red Book to his children (guess he leaves out any parts about forced abortions, re-education camps, executions of political opponents, etc.). Liberal fans who talk about religious indoctrination as "child abuse" likely don't have any problem with Morello's approach to parenting.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...es-on-20111013

Last edited by creekdipper; 10-05-14 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-05-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You went off the deep end there, creek dipper. I wouldn't have it any other way. My whole thing with the incident is that the door guy was being a douche.

Again:

the restaurant was packed and spirited and we asked the doorman “party of 6 for dinner?” he said they were at capacity and it would probably be a 10min wait. No problem. Then ten people or so left the restaurant. “can we come in now? Those people just left.” no. “why?” i’m not letting anyone in. “wait a second. Are you at capacity or are you not letting anyone in?” i’m not letting you in. “so you’re no longer at capacity but we can’t come in?” no. “um ok. How about we order take out and sit at one of these 20 empty tables outside?” no. “ok what’s really going on here dude? Some of us have traveled a long way. He’s from kenya! I’m from the 90′s!” i’m not letting you in. “say, is your manager here? Maybe he’s a rage against the machine fan? He might even raise your pay to $15 an hour!” more people leave the restaurant. It’s clearly under capacity. Then our friends see that inside the restaurant several tables are occupied by friends of ours from 15now. “hey look we don’t even need a table. We’ll just join our friends who are already inside?” no. “really? Why not?” i’m not letting you in. “can we just go talk to them and see if they have room for us?” no.
Ta-da!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.