Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sad, Gradual Decline of the Fade-Out in Popular Music

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The once-ubiquitous, but tragically underappreciated fade-out in music appears to be near its end. And like a classic example of itself, the decline has been long, gradual, and barely noticed.

The fade-out—the technique of ending a song with a slow decrease in volume over its last few seconds—became common in the 1950s and ruled for three decades. Among the year-end top 10 songs for 1985, there’s not one cold ending. But it’s been on the downturn since the ’90s, and the past few years have been particularly unkind. The year-end top 10 lists for 2011, 2012, and 2013 yield a total of one fade-out, Robin Thicke’s purposely retro “Blurred Lines.” Not since the ’50s have we had such a paucity of fade-out songs.
Source & Full Article: slate.com

Since I hardly listen to "new" pop music I never noticed.
Old 09-25-14, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Sad, Gradual Decline of the Fade-Out in Popular Music

I think the choice depends on the song. For something like Hey Jude, it's ideal because they go on and on and it seems that they could keep singing forever. But some songs just have a structure that calls for a definite ending.
Old 09-25-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Come to think of it, the Japanese pop songs I've been listening to for the last nine years all tend to end on a long note that reaches its end and that's the end of the song. No fade-outs that I can recall. When these songs are performed in concert, they just stand there in a pose while the note goes on and ends.
Old 09-25-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Most songs these days are engineered for club playing and for the Radio DJ. Hell, look at how Country music has evolved.
Old 09-25-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of my oldest friend's father just passed away the other day. He found out his father was in a huge financial hole and won't be able to keep the house he grew up in. In fact, he'll either have to pay to put his mother in a retirement home or bring her to live with his own family even though his own daughter has moved back in since she can't find a job because of this. On top of all this bad news, his employer - a newspaper - recently cut back on his hours for obvious reasons. He doesn't know what he's going to do since he's an older guy and it's not easy for older guys to find new jobs.

I'm going to forward this to him. I think he'll get a laugh out of it.
Old 09-25-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I always thought it was funny when bands would lip synch on American Bandstand and then have to try to figure out what to do with themselves during the fade out. It always seem so awkward.
Old 09-25-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a really sad story and it bums me out but I never really liked fadeouts that much. They tend to drag the end of the song out too much oh well
Old 09-25-14, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
This is a really sad story and it bums me out but I never really liked fadeouts that much. They tend to drag the end of the song out too much oh well
I admire the dedication evidenced by this post, and I commend you for it.
Old 09-25-14, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I always hated the fadeout. If there was more music, I wanted to hear it, damn it. Sometimes, there are some interesting things that happen in the music just as it starts to fade out. Plus, like Eddie W said, it always made TV appearances look so silly. Glad to hear it go.
Old 09-25-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^. Agree. On the recent Gentle Giant "Power and the Glory" remaster by Steve Wilson, one song plays on after the original fade out and the little musical nuances you now hear are awesome and make the song even more powerful. Too bad almost no one on this site listens to Gentle Giant
Old 09-26-14, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I always hated the fadeout. If there was more music, I wanted to hear it, damn it. Sometimes, there are some interesting things that happen in the music just as it starts to fade out. Plus, like Eddie W said, it always made TV appearances look so silly. Glad to hear it go.
I always felt that way, too.

It's like you're not getting to hear the entire sing, and it just starts to drop away into darkness instead of ending.
Old 09-26-14, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

I don't think it's a loss. But there used to be fans of the fade out. Session musicians could use that last five seconds to do something interesting, and some people liked that part the best.
Old 09-26-14, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Good riddance.
Old 09-26-14, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Always hated the fadeout. Felt like I was missing something. 'Cos I was, I suppose.
Old 09-26-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

You were missing something. Check out the full version of Free Bird. The original version always had a fade starting at about the 9:00 min mark:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4DGJ7l6BEgo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-26-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Composer Gustav Holst understood the power of the fade-out and employed one of the first at a 1918 concert. For the “Neptune” section of The Planets, Holst had the women’s choir sing in a room offstage. Toward the end, he instructed, the door should be closed very slowly: “This bar is to be repeated until the sound is lost in the distance.”
I heard about the offstage choir but I did not know about the slowly closed door for the fade-out effect. And now a groovy cover...

Old 09-26-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

As someone who plays in bands and writes music, I might use a fade out once in a blue moon. I like defined endings much better.
Old 09-26-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Random fact I learned at my Christian high school in the early 90s: Fade-outs are actually an evil, subtle tool of the devil, as they're meant to deny the listener resolution and leave them in a worked up frenzy. This was actually a point made by a teacher and mentioned in some video he showed, so apparently at least some small percentage of people believe it. It's one of the stranger arguments against listening to modern music that I can recall and whenever I hear a song fade out, I imagine some small subset of Christians getting completely freaked out by it.
Old 09-26-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I've also never really liked fadeouts. It works for some songs, but not for most.
Old 09-26-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Most songs these days are engineered for club playing and for the Radio DJ. Hell, look at how Country music has devolved.
fixed
Old 09-26-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've ever liked fade outs much, so I can't say this saddens me. It bugs me when I find out there were cool parts that got hidden because of the fade.

A while ago I found a version of Sultans of Swing that doesn't fade out but instead has the entirety of Mark Knopfler's solo and then ends. I immediately replaced the album version with it in my music library.
Old 09-26-14, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
I've ever liked fade outs much, so I can't say this saddens me. It bugs me when I find out there were cool parts that got hidden because of the fade.

A while ago I found a version of Sultans of Swing that doesn't fade out but instead has the entirety of Mark Knopfler's solo and then ends. I immediately replaced the album version with it in my music library.
I hate it when guitarists really start to get down as song is fading. One I can think of off top my head is "Woman From Tokyo". Another is "Knockin' At Your Back Door" also LZ's "The Rover". Okay, three off top of my head.
Old 09-26-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
I heard about the offstage choir but I did not know about the slowly closed door for the fade-out effect. And now a groovy cover...

Oh, I need to track that album down...
Old 09-27-14, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A prime example of an infuriating fade-out would be Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing". He'd barely even started his solo before the songs ends with an abrupt fade.
Old 09-27-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
I hate it when guitarists really start to get down as song is fading. One I can think of off top my head is "Woman From Tokyo". Another is "Knockin' At Your Back Door" also LZ's "The Rover". Okay, three off top of my head.
Sway by The Stones, Taylor is just really getting into it when it fades out. I would love to have the whole song.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.