Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Better free options than Pandora?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-14, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I've had them for a day or two and sick of the stoppages and asking me if I'm still listening. Hells Bells,I use the internet as a radio and I'm not on a computer 24/7.

I have the free service so I shouldn't complain too much.

At least Sirius/XM plays songs that I haven't heard in awhile ,while Pandora plays the same-old-shit.

Interested mostly in New Wave,Heavy Metal,Disco and the 1960s and the 1970s and early 1980s.
Old 09-22-14, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Better free options than Pandora?

Do you mean something like either Spotify or iHeartRadio ?
Old 09-22-14, 09:48 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Yeah, sign up for the free version of Spotify or Rdio or whatever, and find/make some playlists in the genres you like. Then, if you really like them, pay the $10/month for extra features, no ads, etc.
Old 09-22-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Does Rdio have a free version( no trial period,w/o playlists)?
Old 09-22-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish last.fm was still functioning like it once did.
Old 09-22-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jango is pretty good.

www.jango.com
Old 09-22-14, 05:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Slacker is my favorite. http://www.slacker.com/

I use the $3.99 a month version that is ad free. That option also allows you download stations to your phone through wi-fi so I can listen in my car without using my data plan. I cancelled my XM radio when I tried out this option. They have deeper playlists than XM.
Old 09-23-14, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO Spotify is the best streaming radio service; you can limit it to artists in case you want to hear some deep cuts.
Old 09-23-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I use Grooveshark. I've been with them since the start, so I have the $3 a month plan. I like it though I rarely try out the radio function. I do like being able to take songs offline in case I don't have any sort of data connectivity.
Old 09-23-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I just signed up to Spotify yesterday. Because of some music-rights nonsense, we Canadians haven't had access to Pandora or Spotify, but I checked out Spotify yesterday and it is just now becoming available here.
Question: If I create a playlist, is there a way to have it play randomly? I don't want to hear a bunch of songs one after the other from the same musician.
Old 09-23-14, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Question: If I create a playlist, is there a way to have it play randomly? I don't want to hear a bunch of songs one after the other from the same musician.
Yes, you can shuffle playlists in Spotify.
Old 09-23-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Just wanted to say a quick thanks for this thread. I have had Spotify from the beginning and really just used it for checking out albums. They didn't have the radio option at first and when they finally added it, I forgot to check it out. With my Pandora sub expiring next month and them increasing the price and going monthly, I checked out the Spotify radio options and like them alot. They seem to be deeper than the Pandora stations. The Pandora stations have a really bad habit of focusing on 3 different artists and that's it on certain stations.

I have now canceled my Pandora sub. I am going to check out the slacker on that someone mentioned but I can't see myself every parting with Sirius/XM.
Old 09-23-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Texan26
Slacker is my favorite. http://www.slacker.com/

I use the $3.99 a month version that is ad free. That option also allows you download stations to your phone through wi-fi so I can listen in my car without using my data plan. I cancelled my XM radio when I tried out this option. They have deeper playlists than XM.

I am not understanding how you are doing this without a data. If you are driving, how are you using wi-fi? Are you taking a hot spot with you? Or does it download a shitload of music somehow? I am confused or misunderstanding your post.
Old 09-23-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I am not understanding how you are doing this without a data. If you are driving, how are you using wi-fi? Are you taking a hot spot with you? Or does it download a shitload of music somehow? I am confused or misunderstanding your post.
Old 09-24-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Again, my questions stand.

Cungar, you answered nothing with your smart-ass bolding. My question concerns the downloading of stations that you so cleverly bolded. If you are in your car driving, how is it getting the music if it isn't streaming? Sure you downloaded the stations but did a bunch of music come with the download?
Old 09-24-14, 02:36 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

You download them in advance, when you are at home or work. The "stations" contain the songs that get played. It's the equivalent of downloading a playlist of songs before you leave your house.
Old 09-24-14, 04:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
You download them in advance, when you are at home or work. The "stations" contain the songs that get played. It's the equivalent of downloading a playlist of songs before you leave your house.
Yep, that's the way. I have about 16 saved stations that I download. Depending on how much memory is available on your phone, I read somewhere that it downloads about 100 songs for each station but it doesn't show you the list of songs it downloaded. You also get unlimited skips on these stations. You can "refresh" the stations anytime through wi-fi again which means it downloads more songs to your saved stations and deletes the ones you listened to. I usually refresh every Sunday.
Old 09-24-14, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. Thanks for the answers. May have to check that out.
Old 09-28-14, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I've had them for a day or two and sick of the stoppages and asking me if I'm still listening. Hells Bells,I use the internet as a radio and I'm not on a computer 24/7.

I have the free service so I shouldn't complain too much.

At least Sirius/XM plays songs that I haven't heard in awhile ,while Pandora plays the same-old-shit.

Interested mostly in New Wave,Heavy Metal,Disco and the 1960s and the 1970s and early 1980s.
I heart radio doesn't shut it down if you don't click on something once in awhile.