Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2 -- "Songs of Innocence" -- New album released for free on iTunes -- 9/9/2014

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

U2 -- "Songs of Innocence" -- New album released for free on iTunes -- 9/9/2014

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 12:35 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: U2 -- "Songs of Innocence" -- New album released for free on iTunes -- 9/9/2014

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Zooropa is the last classic U2 album, IMO.
I tend to agree. That is the greatest era of the band, I think. Between "Achtung Baby," which is brilliant beyond words, "Zooropa," and the Zoo TV tour, I think this was an era that they will never be able to match again.
Old 09-11-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: U2 -- "Songs of Innocence" -- New album released for free on iTunes -- 9/9/2014

Originally Posted by Decker
Really? I hate Zooropa -- well, maybe not "hate", but have disliked it more than any other U2 album ever, until No Line on the Horizon. I've enjoyed All That You Can't Leave Behind and parts of Atomic Bomb a lot more than that one.
In the real world ATYCLB is a landmark album, one of those albums that could fill half a greatest hits album on its own easily. At the time it was compared to The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. HTDAAB's Grammy win is often seen as a way to reward U2 for losing to the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack. 14 years later it still stands as one of their most popular and well-received albums.

But in the Bizarro World of the internet? It's a terrible disappointment and Pop reigns supreme.
Old 09-11-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 280 Likes on 180 Posts

Listened to the album a couple times now. I like it, but am not blown away by it. I think "California" and "Every Breaking Wave" are fantastic and everything else ranges from good to mediocre. At least there are no bad tracks, imo.
Old 09-11-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've listened to the album 6 times now and my opinion hasn't changed. It's their best album since ATYCLB. Favorite tracks for me are:

The Miracle
California
Every Breaking Wave
Iris
Volcano
Cedarwood Road
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Old 09-11-14, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/0...tunes-library/

This is how to get rid of it.

When U2 released its new album Songs of Innocence earlier this week, it hit like an atom bomb. Here is how to dismantle it.

It wasn’t enough that the album was made available for free to half a billion iTunes users, but it also automatically appeared in everyone’s library and on everyone’s mobile device, much to the dismay of some Apple/iTunes customers and even some artists.

The album, U2’s first in five years, has also been getting some polarizing reviews, including this (perhaps predictably) glowing one from David Fricke over at Rolling Stone, and one lambasting Bono for yet again presenting himself and the band as a messianic response to everything that ails the world.

But back to our initial issue: You want this thing out of your iTunes/iPhone/iPod, correct?

The BBC tells you how to get rid of this invasive “virus”:

If you have your computer handy — simply sync your phone with your iTunes, go to the music tab, and untick the album.

If you don’t, you’ll have to go through and delete every track individually.

Go into your music. Select albums. Select Songs of Innocence, then swipe each track left individually to reveal the delete option. There are 12, so this is the gift from Apple that keeps on giving.

Old 09-11-14, 02:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I'm not sure if y'all saw Bono's blog post, but it's... something.
http://www.u2.com/news/title/remember-us

He confirms that Songs of Experience will be the follow-up album.
Old 09-11-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Rolling Stone were able to take their heads out of Bono's ass long enough to give it a 5 star review. They then shoved their heads back up there and will pop out again once the tour starts to rave about it.
Old 09-11-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/0...tunes-library/

This is how to get rid of it.

When U2 released its new album Songs of Innocence earlier this week, it hit like an atom bomb. Here is how to dismantle it.

It wasn’t enough that the album was made available for free to half a billion iTunes users, but it also automatically appeared in everyone’s library and on everyone’s mobile device, much to the dismay of some Apple/iTunes customers and even some artists.

The album, U2’s first in five years, has also been getting some polarizing reviews, including this (perhaps predictably) glowing one from David Fricke over at Rolling Stone, and one lambasting Bono for yet again presenting himself and the band as a messianic response to everything that ails the world.

But back to our initial issue: You want this thing out of your iTunes/iPhone/iPod, correct?

The BBC tells you how to get rid of this invasive “virus”:

If you have your computer handy — simply sync your phone with your iTunes, go to the music tab, and untick the album.

If you don’t, you’ll have to go through and delete every track individually.

Go into your music. Select albums. Select Songs of Innocence, then swipe each track left individually to reveal the delete option. There are 12, so this is the gift from Apple that keeps on giving.

I wasn't thinking about this since I am a fan of U2, but I would sure be annoyed if they pulled a stunt like this with the next Justin Bieber album!
Old 09-11-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I don't know if anyone would but as a fan of Broken Bells I can certainly hear Dangermouse's input. Esp on Sleep Like A Baby and other songs on the 2nd half.
I'm hearing it now on "Cedarwood Road" which is probably going to be my favorite tune on this pup. There is definitely some Dangermouse going on there.

I decided to blast this album in my car instead of at my computer to see if it changes my opinion. Got up to "Cedarwood Road". I've been a U2 fan since 1981. Even average albums have great songs. Thought "Magnificent" from the last album was a very good tune. But I gotta say the first five songs on this album are some of worst things this band has ever done... which really sucks because I like the lyrics and ideas on this album. Just too boring. I'll try to bag out of this thread since I'm probably starting to sound like a troll, but I'll surely want to listen to their next one hoping for more spark.
Old 09-12-14, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan
He confirms that Songs of Experience will be the follow-up album.
I'll believe that when I see it. The current album, when it was still being call Songs of Ascent was supposed to come out about a year or so after NLOTH.

EDIT: Got album title wrong.

Last edited by Alvis; 09-12-14 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-12-14, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alvis
I'll believe that when I see it. The current album, when it was still being call Songs of Ascendance was supposed to come out about a year or so after NLOTH.
Yep, I actually started a thread for Songs of Ascent years ago.
Old 09-12-14, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Pitchfork gave it a 4.6 review (out of 10), as expected.

Rolling Stone gave it 5 stars out of 5, as expected.

The truth is obviously somewhere in between.
Old 09-12-14, 08:38 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz

I'd agree and give it somewhere between a 7.5 or 8. Pitchfork's review doesn't even critique the songs. What a bunch of jerk wads.
Old 09-12-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

After having listened to the several times, I now think this is their most mediocre album. There is nothing particularly bad, but also not one song that is great or which stands out. I can see why they gave it away for free. If they had sold it as the follow up to No Line, it would be blasted as being completely mediocre. I think they made a mistake though. After No Line, they needed a better follow up. If they are saving a better album for sales, that should have been released first, then they could have followed up with this collection of rejected songs.
Old 09-12-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a long time fan of the band, I was unaware that there was a large group of people who seem to genuinely hate them. It's been pretty interesting reading some of the stuff people are saying, not so much about the music but about how much they hate these guys. Strange...
Old 09-12-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
As a long time fan of the band, I was unaware that there was a large group of people who seem to genuinely hate them. It's been pretty interesting reading some of the stuff people are saying, not so much about the music but about how much they hate these guys. Strange...
Yeah, I don't get the hate either. There are tons of artists, most of them in fact, that I do not like as artists, but I don't hate them. Only a select few deserve hate because they are just unlikeable people. Justin Bieber and the like.

I think most of it is directed at Bono because he is such a public figure and vocal about certain things, but I don't get that either. He promotes his causes, but he has never been heavy-handed about it, in my opinion. I've known a couple of people who have had the chance to interact with him for more than just a brief moment and they said he was really nice and genuine. I've always thought that if you ended up randomly sitting next to him on a plane, he would engage you and do it genuinely and not begrudgingly.
Old 09-12-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I'd agree and give it somewhere between a 7.5 or 8. Pitchfork's review doesn't even critique the songs. What a bunch of jerk wads.
I enjoy reading Pitchfork. If they love something I won't even bother with it. Their reviews are good for a laugh because most of the time it takes three paragraphs before the band, title of the album or one of the songs is even mentioned.
Old 09-13-14, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz

0.4 stars?

I was underwhelmed, but I haven't really paid attention to them since the early 90's.
Old 09-13-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
0.4 stars?

I was underwhelmed, but I haven't really paid attention to them since the early 90's.
That must be new math.
Old 09-14-14, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Sleep Like A Baby Tonight". Love this one! Reminds me a wee bit of Fad Gadget with the synth line (touch of the tune "Life On The Line").
Old 09-14-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm really liking this now that I've listened to it a few times. The first half is the very 'safe' and familiar sounding U2 to me, but the second half, from "Volcano" on, is where they head into some different directions.
Old 09-15-14, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree with the praise for Zooropa. Its a great album.

I have been a fan of U2 since the Unforgettable Fire. With the exception of the Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and Zooropa every U2 album has the same problem. The problem is that they each have a few really good songs on each album, but then all the other songs are pretty awful. I do think that Pop was a good album and had a fair share of good songs on it. I think that one gets harsher treatment than deserved.

They are without a doubt the best live act in the world. Their concerts are second to none. Seeing Zoo TV back in 93 was an amazing experience. Popmart was pretty great as well.

I do think that a good move would be for them to revisit the Achtung Baby sound and characters (return of the Fly an Mcphisto) would be appreciated by most fans. I know it will never happen as bands want to progress musically, but i would say its more a case of a continuation in this case. The album was a commentary on the media, and boy could they have fun with it now with updates in technology.

As for the new album. Its what i expected. The same kind of sound. A few half decent songs, but not an album that i will be listening to on heavy rotation.
Old 09-15-14, 01:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I guess there was quite a bit of outrage then. Apple has created a removal tool just for this album.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6439?v...S&locale=en_US

Remove iTunes gift album "Songs of Innocence" from your iTunes music library and purchases

Follow these instructions to remove U2’s "Songs of Innocence” from your iTunes music library and iTunes purchases. Once the album has been removed from your account, it will no longer be available for you to redownload as a previous purchase. If you later decide you want the album, you will need to get it again. The album is free to everyone until October 13, 2014, and will be available for purchase after that date.

To remove this album:

Go to http://itunes.com/soi-remove.
Click Remove Album to confirm you'd like to remove the album from your account.
Sign in with the Apple ID and password you use to buy from the iTunes Store.
You'll see a confirmation message that the album has been removed from your account.
If you downloaded the songs to iTunes on your Mac or PC or to the Music app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you'll need to delete them manually.

Additional Information

If you downloaded the album for free by clicking or tapping Free in the iTunes Store, and you confirm you want to remove it, the album will be hidden from your Purchased list. You can unhide it from your Account Settings at any time.
Old 09-15-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
They are without a doubt the best live act in the world.
Personal opinion. And I would disagree. And yes, I have seen them live multiple times since 1982.
Old 09-15-14, 07:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't call them the best live act in the world, but I'm sure they put on a hell of a show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.