Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Can you buy MP3 from amazon.co.uk if you live in US?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's an MP3 that they don't sell on amazon.com, but they do sell on amazon.co.uk. I live in the US, and I tried to buy it from amazon.co.uk, and I got to the screen where they ask for my credit card, and it doesn't accept what I enter. I think it doesn't like my address, although it does let you change the Country, and I changed it to United States, but it still won't take my address.

Is is possible for people living in the US to buy MP3s from Amazon.co.uk?
Old 09-05-14, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Can you buy MP3 from amazon.co.uk if you live in US?

I don't believe you can. I've purchased a number of CDs from Amazon UK that are supposed to come with "Auto Rip" and they do not because I am in the US.
Old 09-05-14, 09:54 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Wow, that's just ridiculous. Record companies complain about illegal downloads yet won't let you buy music except under the right conditions.
Old 09-05-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Why is it ridiculous? Rights vary by country.
Old 09-05-14, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Because record companies are trying to live in a world where information about artists and their releases isn't freely available across national borders. If a band I like, e.g., Suede, releases an album in the UK (or EU), and I read glowing reviews from the NME or the Guardian or something, but because of rights issues, isn't available in North America, what am I supposed to do? Just say, "oh well, maybe I'll get to hear it one day..."?

It's an archaic model that no longer works. It doesn't work for artists and it doesn't work for fans/consumers.
Old 09-05-14, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Because record companies are trying to live in a world where information about artists and their releases isn't freely available across national borders. If a band I like, e.g., Suede, releases an album in the UK (or EU), and I read glowing reviews from the NME or the Guardian or something, but because of rights issues, isn't available in North America, what am I supposed to do? Just say, "oh well, maybe I'll get to hear it one day..."?

It's an archaic model that no longer works. It doesn't work for artists and it doesn't work for fans/consumers.
Agree. Drives me nuts. The old model doesn't work anymore. It just chases more people to steal music that they would have bought if "allowed."
Old 09-05-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Intellectually, sure. But how quickly is that system going to change if you need to renegotiate every deal internationally? Who's going to give up their rights so someone else can take over in every market?
Old 09-05-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The UK has very different copyright laws and laws about public domain. Also different record companies have the rights to different things in different countries. Sometimes it's contractual as to not interfere with sales in another country.
Old 09-05-14, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
The UK has very different copyright laws and laws about public domain. Also different record companies have the rights to different things in different countries. Sometimes it's contractual as to not interfere with sales in another country.
Yeah, I get that. I just think it's stupid and no longer serves anyone's best interests, if it ever did.
Old 09-05-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Because many people won't bother to pay for music I would guess, so when someone WANTS to pay for it, you make it difficult.
Old 09-05-14, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
iTunes has done the same with an audiobook I want actually. I get that it's a rights issue, but when 99% of the population no longer pays for it at all, it's still annoying. But I guess that's true if all region codes and the like.
Old 09-06-14, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like how it's perfectly acceptable to buy the *physical CD* of an album from Amazon UK & have it shipped to the US, but buying MP3's of the same songs are a no-no.

I know its some ridiculous agreement/rights issue, but still. The US label still doesn't get money, I just have to rip the music myself.
Old 09-06-14, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
iTunes has done the same with an audiobook I want actually. I get that it's a rights issue, but when 99% of the population no longer pays for it at all, it's still annoying. But I guess that's true if all region codes and the like.
There's ways around that. The iTunes UK store has certain music that I've wanted and isn't available here. I've bought UK iTunes gift cards and had to create an account with a UK based address, but I was able to get what I needed. I don't condone in piracy, but they really make it so it's more effort than it's worth.