Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Customers who bought Spotify also bought Amazon Prime music streaming (summer 2014)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Customers who bought Spotify also bought Amazon Prime music streaming (summer 2014)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Exclusive: Amazon Prime To Offer Music Streaming Service — With 6-Month-Old Songs
The internet giant has reached deals with major labels for a service to launch this June or July.
posted on May 29, 2014, at 4:19 p.m.
Reggie Ugwu

Amazon, the internet’s largest retailer, is making an aggressive move into the booming and intensely competitive business of streaming music.

The company will expand its Prime membership offerings by adding a stockpile of old and newish music for subscribers to stream on demand. The Prime music service, which is scheduled to launch this June or July, will not include recent releases but instead restrict its catalog to songs and albums that are 6 months old and older, five music industry sources familiar with the company’s plans confirmed to BuzzFeed.

Similar to Prime Instant Video, the on-demand video option available to Prime members, the Prime music service (the official name of which is still unknown) won’t aspire to the full universe of existing content, instead offering a potluck of select songs and albums it has licensed from labels at a discount. That distinguishes it from the prevailing business model of stand-alone streaming competitors like Spotify, Rdio, and Beats Music, all of which have tried to lure customers by promising all of the world’s music with a few precious exceptions.

Of course, Amazon has already hooked over 20 million reported Prime members without offering any music at all. For Amazon, music is yet another cherry on top of a cake that already includes movies and TV shows via Instant Video, an e-books lending library for its popular Kindle reader, and free two-day shipping — the service’s signature feature since debuting nine years ago. It sweetens the deal not long after Amazon miffed some members in March by raising the price of Prime to $99 per year from $79.

Amazon has reached agreements with two of the three major labels, Sony Music Entertainment and Warner Music Group, and several independents for the new service following initial talks late last year. Status of the third major, Universal Music Group, wasn’t confirmed at press time.

Compared with Spotify, Rdio, and Beats, Amazon has been granted limited access to the labels’ archives, with one source saying that the company will pick and choose what albums to stream based on data from Amazon’s existing music and retail operations. In some ways, the arrangement mirrors the one reached between Amazon and HBO last month, in which a select number of HBO’s older shows were made available on Prime Instant Video.

Similar to Spotify, the Prime music service is said to work across multiple devices and allow users to search and play songs as many times as they want with some offline capabilities. Sally Fouts, a representative for Amazon, has not responded to a request for comment.

Amazon’s entry into music streaming comes at a time when many in the music industry have started to view streaming as the next in a long line of last great hopes. In the first quarter of this year, digital track sales in the United States were down 12.5% from the same period last year, while total streams have increased by 34.7%, according to Nielsen data. That continues the trend from 2013, when digital music sales in the U.S. declined for the first time in a decade.

The rise of streaming came into sharp focus this month as Apple made headlines for its $3 billion purchase of Beats Electronics and Spotify announced that it had signed up 10 million paying subscribers worldwide. YouTube, the world’s most popular destination for streaming music, is also rumored to be launching its own paid subscription service later this year.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/reggieugwu/a...eaming-service

I look forward to watching David Lowery's head explode on Facebook when he gets the news.
Old 05-31-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Customers who bought Spotify also bought Amazon Prime music streaming (summer 201

I don't understand your thread title.

The key with this will be are they offering anything I can't get with Spotify. I already have Prime but no new music won't make me abandon Spotty.
Old 05-31-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts
Re: Customers who bought Spotify also bought Amazon Prime music streaming (summer 201

I assume it will mostly include a lot of older, slow-selling catalog albums.
Old 05-31-14, 01:13 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With Amazon and it looks like soon to be Apple getting into the streaming music, I wonder how existing services will adapt and change?
Old 05-31-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by auto
I don't understand your thread title.
It's just a stupid Amazon shopping reference. I was going to go with something like "Because you liked Spotify, you'll like Amazon Prime," but that's more of a Netflix thing.

Anyway, recently I've been using Spotify more and more, but I have Prime, so I'll give it a try when it's up and running.
Old 05-31-14, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ahhhh....makes total sense. Right over my head.
Old 05-31-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

If it merges with everything else that comes with the PRIME membership then I'm all in.
Old 05-31-14, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,180 Likes on 4,208 Posts

I'm pleased to get some free music streaming, I guess.

Yeah, the thread title is totally confusing.
Old 05-31-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

This is awesome, as a Prime member I'm happy! Just on the shipping it's worth it to me, I get 2 free Kindle books a month and now there's all the HBO shows and now this.
Old 06-01-14, 12:18 AM

I wonder if I'll be able to steam this on an Android device. For some unexplained reason, we still can't watch Amazon Prime Videos on even an Android phone, though Amazon claimed they were working on a solution two years ago.
Old 06-01-14, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
I wonder if I'll be able to steam this on an Android device. For some unexplained reason, we still can't watch Amazon Prime Videos on even an Android phone, though Amazon claimed they were working on a solution two years ago.
I hadn't heard about them working on that, but I just assumed that they keep it that way to steer you towards buying a Kindle Fire. I have no experience with iPhones and iPads in this regard. Can one already stream Amazon video on them?

Also I'm assuming that they'll integrate streaming into their existing Android music player app, since IMO music is more of an "on the go" medium than video, but who knows?
Old 06-01-14, 11:46 AM

Yea, Amazon Instant Video streams on iPhones and iPads. I get they're artificially trying to steer people towards their Kindle Fire, but it's annoying that I can't watch on my Android phone.