Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

RIP Lou Reed

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 05:27 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: RIP Lou Reed

This pretty much sums up my feelings:

Spoiler:
Old 10-27-13, 05:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 10-27-13, 06:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m-QT74bzHFQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-27-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me as another who never really cared all that much about Lou Reed and his music - solo, or with the Velvet Underground. That said, there is absolutely no question he was a highly influential musical genius/innovator, on par with the likes of Bob Dylan as great American artists. The man may be gone, but he'll leave behind a legacy that will endure. R.I.P. Lou.
Old 10-27-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Never smart/cool enough to "get" Lou Reed, but I always was appreciative of what he represented. For a guy who's stuff I was never into, I feel like his death hit me pretty hard, the greats are moving on.
Old 10-27-13, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't crazy about Lou Reed's solo stuff, but his work with the Velvet Underground is really timeless and influential stuff. You hear bits of VU in just about ever "alternative" band that really matters.

If you don't have their "best of" compilation, I can't recommend it highly enough.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nkumhBVPGdg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rest in peace Lou, and thank you.
Old 10-27-13, 10:52 PM
Banned by request

I would say that his solo career is almost as important as his VU material. There would be no Sonic Youth without Metal Machine Music, and he practically wrote the book on how to keep your music interesting into old age.
Old 10-27-13, 11:25 PM

RIP to a music legend. I feel obligated to post in this topic as I just discovered VU maybe six months ago. Just bought VU&N on a whim after browsing Rolling Stones top 500 rock albums of all time. Gave it a listen and it literally changed almost my whole perspective on music. Only other two bands to do this for me where the White Stripes and The Who.
Old 10-28-13, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

to a true genius.
Old 10-28-13, 12:18 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

That's a neat trick. I wonder if I can get to Prague by Monday night?

Here's the full article, by the way:
http://www.businessinsider.com/lou-r...munism-2013-10
Old 10-28-13, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
RIP to a music legend. I feel obligated to post in this topic as I just discovered VU maybe six months ago. Just bought VU&N on a whim after browsing Rolling Stones top 500 rock albums of all time. Gave it a listen and it literally changed almost my whole perspective on music. Only other two bands to do this for me where the White Stripes and The Who.
That's pretty cool. I'm guessing most of us didn't hear VU until years after they broke up. I mean, if your radio station was cool enough to play "Sweet Jane" or "Rock And Roll", you might have. I knew of Reed growing up mainly because of "Walk On The Wild Side". It wasn't until 1985 with the release of VU (unreleased tracks) that I really got to hear this band. Then another extra tracks comp. in 1986 with Another View. I remember being amazed how incredible those tunes were for not having made official albums. That's when I went back to the first four albums and have loved them ever since. Besides maybe Nuggets, the VU box set is my favorite set ever released.

It's a shame that Velvet Underground's music is not played along with Zep, Stones, Beatles on classic rock radio (well, radio is not exactly flourishing, but still). They definitely have some rough tunes in sound and lyric, but there are plenty of flat out great rock and roll tunes that will always stand the test of time.
Old 10-28-13, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the quote from Lou where he basically says "no one would be making a big deal about what I write about if it was in a movie or novel". Very true.

The Kids

They're taking her children away
Because they said she was not a good mother
Because she was making it with sisters and brothers
And everyone else, all of the others
Like cheap officers who would stand there and flirt in front of me

Because of the things that they heard she had done
The black Air Force sergeant was not the first one
And all of the drugs she took, every one, every one

And I am the Water Boy, the real game's not over here
But my heart is overflowin' anyway
I'm just a tired man, no words to say
But since she lost her daughter
It's her eyes that fill with water
And I am much happier this way

Because number on was the girl friend from Paris
The things that they did - ah - they didn't have to ask us
And then the Welshman from India, who came here to stay

Because of the things she did in the streets
In the alleys and bars, no she couldn't be beat
That miserable rotten slut couldn't turn anyone away

I am the Water Boy, the real game's not over here
But my heart is overflowin' anyway
I'm just a tired man, no words to say
But since she lost her daughter
It's her eyes that fill with water
And I am much happier this way
Old 10-28-13, 09:22 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Terrible news. RIP Lou.
Old 10-28-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I'm officially at the age when my heroes start dying. First Roger Ebert and now Lou Reed.
Old 10-28-13, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are you sure he's dead?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0iSWxwtIl4
Old 10-28-13, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

RIP.

I liked and respect Lou Reed but didn't fetishize him to the degree that most people with my musical tastes do. Lou Reed always seemed a little too obviously and self satisfied downtown junkie cool to me. I get it that he basically invented that particular persona but later in his career it became more than a little calculated.

VU was pure genius for all four albums but Nico, John Cale and later Doug Yule all played key roles on those albums. Reed lost a lot when that band broke up. Bowie shaped him up a little in his early solo career but most of it was overrated crap.

Overall, if I'm looking for vintage urban dirt, I'll take the neanderthal stomp of The Stooges or the cheap nasty trash of the The New York Dolls. Both were hugely inspired by VU but lacked the pretention.
Old 10-28-13, 10:38 AM
Banned by request

I wish I could have a career that was a 10th as brilliant, important, insightful, and influential as Lou Reed's "overrated crap".

That's not to say everything he touched was gold, far for from it. But his best stuff is as good and as necessary as the VU material.

Last edited by Supermallet; 10-28-13 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

So what did he die of anyways? He just had a liver transplant earlier this year, and had been pretty healthy up until he died.
Old 10-28-13, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
If you're interested in checking out some of Lou Reed's music, here are some particularly accessible albums that might make for a good introduction:

The Velvet Underground (self-titled third album, not the same as The Velvet Underground and Nico)
The Velvet Underground: Loaded
Transformer (has "Perfect Day" and "Walk On The Wild Side")
Coney Island Baby
The Blue Mask
New York
Lou Reed's first solo album is also very accessible and very rock and roll. Hard to come by though.

New Sensations is another good one. But c'mon, Berlin? Holy shit. As far as suicidal listens go, a masterpiece.

And that strum. Every time I hear that strum, that fast strum, (you know the one I'm talking about if you are a Velvets fan) in other people's songs, I see Lou smiling in my mind.

Last edited by CRM114; 10-28-13 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 11:46 AM
Banned by request

The self-titled solo album is on Spotify. Also, I know a lot of people rag on it, but Sally Can't Dance is better than it's reputation would lead you to believe.
Old 10-28-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hiro11
VU was pure genius for all four albums but Nico, John Cale and later Doug Yule all played key roles on those albums. Reed lost a lot when that band broke up. Bowie shaped him up a little in his early solo career but most of it was overrated crap.
"All songs written and composed by Lou Reed" save a 4-5 tracks on the first three records.

I don't believe Lou's solo career was ever highly rated from Transformer to The Blue Mask. It's like calling Dylan's 68-74 period overrated crap. It's in the eye of the beholder.
Old 10-28-13, 12:08 PM
Banned by request

I was listening to Loaded last night, and I don't know if the songs are still billed this way, but on my vinyl copy, they're listed as being written by "The Velvet Underground" and all of the musician except Moe Tucker are credit with "song composition".
Old 10-28-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I was listening to Loaded last night, and I don't know if the songs are still billed this way, but on my vinyl copy, they're listed as being written by "The Velvet Underground" and all of the musician except Moe Tucker are credit with "song composition".
I know on later Reed albums (mostly live) Sweet Jane, Pale Blue Eyes, Rock And Roll and others were always just credited as Lou Reed. I think it is kind of like with Radiohead, it always says written by Radiohead but I think for legal reasons the actual writer does hold the rights.
Old 10-28-13, 12:19 PM
Banned by request

Everything I've read about Loaded suggested that Lou did write all the songs, but I'm just pointing out how someone might think otherwise.
Old 10-28-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, Loaded would be the 4th album. I mentioned the first three records - the ones that matter. But for the record:

Reed also felt snubbed by being listed third in the credits on the album; and by the large photo of Yule playing piano; and by all the songwriting credits improperly going to the band, rather than Reed himself. Newer releases have satisfied many of Reed's concerns — he now is properly acknowledged as the sole songwriter for the album; he is listed at the top of the band line-up and, since the 1995 box set Peel Slowly and See, another mix is available, restoring "Sweet Jane", "Rock & Roll" and "New Age" to the full-length versions Reed had originally penned. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_...erground_album)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.