Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

2014 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

2014 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-14, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: 2014 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Bummer, I've been hoping for a long time that Dave would sing lead vocals for this. Levon Helm style. Plus you know, it would be the closest they could get to a pure Nirvana reunion. Dave singing one of Kurts songs. That would be something you'd likely never forget.
Old 04-11-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Didn't Dave say he would never sing a Nirvana song ? I thought he said that in an interview once.
Old 04-11-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nirvana with Joan Jett, St Vincent, J Mascis and Kim Gordon played at a small club in Brooklyn after the HOF show. Holy shit, would have loved to have seen that. Vids on YouTube.
Old 04-11-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that they went with women for the HOF performances... no male singer out there today could do Kurt's voice justice. Hearing Annie Clark belt out Heart Shaped Box from the secret post-HOF show in Brooklyn is something out of this world...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW3Wk-k0Fgk
Old 04-11-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's the set list:
Smells Like Teen Spirit (with Joan Jett)
Breed (with Joan Jett)
In Bloom (with Joan Jett)
Territorial Pissings (with Joan Jett)
Drain You (with J. Mascis)
Penny Royal Tea (with J. Mascis)
School (with J. Mascis)
Lithium (with Annie Clark)
About A Girl (with Annie Clark)
Heart Shaped Box (with Annie Clark)
Serve the Servants (with John McCauley)
Scentless Apprentice (with John McCauley)
Tourette’s (with John McCauley)
Aneurysm (with Kim Gordon)
Negative Creep (with Kim Gordon)
Moist Vagina (with Kim Gordon)
Old 04-11-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd listen to Johnny Cash at San Quentin before ANY Kiss record and I grew up with Kiss. (Love Gun was the last Kiss album I had any connection to - I was 10.)

And then there's this. I can't imagine Paul Stanley mixing it up with the bard.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
To be honest, I think that if a BAND is inducted into the RARHOF then everyone who was ever in the band should be included.
Yes! I'm not understanding why this wouldn't be so. It's the BAND that gets in and the display in the HoF should just list anyone the BAND wants listed.
Old 04-11-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by auto
Nirvana with Joan Jett, St Vincent, J Mascis and Kim Gordon played at a small club in Brooklyn after the HOF show. Holy shit, would have loved to have seen that. Vids on YouTube.
No love for John McCauley?
Old 04-11-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

no male singer out there today could do Kurt's voice justice.
I liked Nirvana in their heyday but Kurt was never known for being a "great singer." He pretty much mumbled entire songs.
Old 04-11-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I liked Nirvana in their heyday but Kurt was never known for being a "great singer."
Yup
Old 04-11-14, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
I'd listen to Johnny Cash at San Quentin before ANY Kiss record and I grew up with Kiss. (Love Gun was the last Kiss album I had any connection to - I was 10.)

And then there's this. I can't imagine Paul Stanley mixing it up with the bard.

Why not, the Monkees did?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Fq9HLUmOa2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey, I like all three artist. I don't see why I have to pick and choose and say why one is better than the other.
Old 04-11-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But did they record together?

By the way, regarding John McCauley and Nirvana - Deer Tick performed all of In Utero last year as "Deervana". The recording is available for a free download and it's pretty good.

http://www.nyctaper.com/2013/09/deer...cmp3streaming/
Old 04-11-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,306 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I liked Nirvana in their heyday but Kurt was never known for being a "great singer." He pretty much mumbled entire songs.
Even Weird Al pointed that out in "Smells like Nirvana."
Old 04-11-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Kurt's voice was rough and grumbly. Annie Clark from the secret show was pretty rough (to listen to)
Old 04-11-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 04-11-14, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CRM114
No love for John McCauley?
Missed that in the article until I saw the set list.
Old 04-12-14, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Exactly. These kids saying he was a "great vocalist" need to check their fucking loop, because they're high and not sharing.
Old 04-12-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I realize and acknowledge their impact on popular music, I never really understood the exaggerated fuss about Nirvana.

Sure, they have some great songs, but I never quite got what made Kurt the idol he was to that generation of kids. He certainly didn't want to be, either.

There wasn't anything he was doing that hadn't been done before. His guitar playing wasn't anything spectacular, nor his singing (which a great deal of was cribbed from the likes of Robin Zander, and if you don't believe that, you haven't listened to nearly enough of Cheap Trick's catalog). On the songwriting front, well there one might have something. However, their breakthrough hit was essentially just that generation's version of Alice Cooper's "I'm Eighteen" or The Who's "My Generation". A teen angst re-write given a different spin on it. Still, songs about teen angst are nothing new.

If anything, they proved that you could be nothing particularly amazing, and still end up being something special.

I still maintain, however, that had Kurt not killed himself, their legacy would be an entirely different story. The fact he died so early into their career helped canonize Kurt and Nirvana, and didn't allow for the possibility of him to do anything to diminish their outcome or output. They could have gone the route of so many other bands of that era, where there's still a devoted following, but by and large, the masses simply stopped caring.

All that said, for what they did achieve in such a short period of time, they did earn their spot in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.
Old 04-12-14, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
While I realize and acknowledge their impact on popular music, I never really understood the exaggerated fuss about Nirvana.

Sure, they have some great songs, but I never quite got what made Kurt the idol he was to that generation of kids. He certainly didn't want to be, either.

There wasn't anything he was doing that hadn't been done before. His guitar playing wasn't anything spectacular, nor his singing (which a great deal of was cribbed from the likes of Robin Zander, and if you don't believe that, you haven't listened to nearly enough of Cheap Trick's catalog). On the songwriting front, well there one might have something. However, their breakthrough hit was essentially just that generation's version of Alice Cooper's "I'm Eighteen" or The Who's "My Generation". A teen angst re-write given a different spin on it. Still, songs about teen angst are nothing new.

If anything, they proved that you could be nothing particularly amazing, and still end up being something special.

I still maintain, however, that had Kurt not killed himself, their legacy would be an entirely different story. The fact he died so early into their career helped canonize Kurt and Nirvana, and didn't allow for the possibility of him to do anything to diminish their outcome or output. They could have gone the route of so many other bands of that era, where there's still a devoted following, but by and large, the masses simply stopped caring.

All that said, for what they did achieve in such a short period of time, they did earn their spot in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

Sometimes it is as simple as right place/right time.
Old 04-12-14, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BearFan
Sometimes it is as simple as right place/right time.
That's something I've always maintained, too. It was as much blind stinking luck that brought them to the top as anything else. In an alternate reality, it could have just have easily been someone else. However in this one, the stars just happened to align for Nirvana.
Old 04-12-14, 01:52 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

That song was so strong. Your palate has become accustomed to it from too much radio replay. What was going on in Seattle was different from the mainstream and a lot of bands that sounded different were ready to break out, but smells like teen spirit was so fucking different. It's hard to describe, but to me the song almost sounded taboo it was so fucking different. If it hadn't been nirvana I don't think soundgarden or Alice in chains had anything up their sleeve that would have broken the scene open the way smells did.
Old 04-12-14, 02:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know that when "Smells Like Teen Spirit" went to number one, Nirvana were touring with Sonic Youth and I always thought, "How could Nirvana be revolutionary if they were contemporaries with Sonic Youth?", but people who like to set up opposition between "rock" and "pop" were all too ready to embrace grunge. I like grunge, although I think Alice in Chains did it better, but to me there's been far more abrasive and interesting music made long before Nirvana.

Still, Kurt was a very talented songwriter, capable of taking emotionally intense lyrics and concepts and channeling them into songs with very memorable melodies. And I absolutely agree that if he hadn't died, the band's legacy would be seen quite differently. I also think Kurt would have given us much more interesting music than the few records we got, and that he would have moved away from grunge much sooner than many of his contemporaries.
Old 06-01-14, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did anybody watch the Hall of Fame induction ceremony on HBO last night?

I am always a sucker for those things. Really enjoyed it. Too bad Kiss didn't play, or at least have somebody else play one or two of their songs. Really petty of Gene and Paul.

I really enjoyed the Nirvana performances with the female singers. Great stuff. I miss Dave Grohl playing the drums more often.
Old 06-01-14, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Applejack
Did anybody watch the Hall of Fame induction ceremony on HBO last night?

I am always a sucker for those things. Really enjoyed it. Too bad Kiss didn't play, or at least have somebody else play one or two of their songs. Really petty of Gene and Paul.

I really enjoyed the Nirvana performances with the female singers. Great stuff. I miss Dave Grohl playing the drums more often.
I had already watched lots of YouTube clips of all of the performances/speeches but the HBO special was fantastic! Agree with everything you said and it is a shame Gene & Paul wouldn't agree to a performance with Ace & Peter to honor what they accomplished together.

Cat Stevens voice sounded just like it did forty years ago! And while I never have been/never will be a fan of anyone from American Idol, Carrie Underwood really shined on "Different Drum" during the Linda Ronstadt tribute.
Old 06-01-14, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how much indeed they cut down the E Street Band's segment.
Old 06-02-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 700 Likes on 431 Posts

From what I understand, the E-Street band speeches went on FOR-E-VER. According to Baba Booey, each member got up and gave something like a 10-minute speech apiece, which continued to laboriously go on throughout the evening, well past midnight. Because the E-Street Band went on so long, they had to cancel the All-Star Jam at the end of the evening.

Thanks guys. Really.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.