Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

'Broadway'/Musical Theater Album releases

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

'Broadway'/Musical Theater Album releases

Old 10-09-13, 04:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: 'Broadway'/Musical Theater Album release 2013 thread

did anyone notice this listing for a copy of the UK edition of 'Matilda'

I had to laugh.

Matilda The Musical London Cast Recording ~ Matilda London Cast (Artist)

$3,773.27 ?!? yeah.... right.
Old 10-09-13, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
did anyone notice this listing for a copy of the UK edition of 'Matilda'

I had to laugh.

Matilda The Musical London Cast Recording ~ Matilda London Cast (Artist)

$3,773.27 ?!? yeah.... right.
You gotta suck it up and support the genre, man! Ain't but a few of us left!
Old 10-17-13, 12:24 AM

I'm digressing here, but I didn't realize there was a new Andrew Lloyd Webber musical opening this December on the West End - no word on when or if it will be exported to this side of the pond.

"Stephen Ward"
The Aldwych Theatre is the home of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s latest musical Stephen Ward with direction from Richard Eyre and both the book and lyrics by Christopher Hampton and Don Black. It will be an opportunity to see a brand new production from one of the biggest names in West End theatre, who previously brought us everything from The Phantom of the Opera to the recent production of The Wizard Of Oz.

This musical takes audiences back to a period of time in the early 1960s when a political scandal – the Profumo Affair - gripped society. This retelling of the tale will be bolstered by the choreography of Stephen Mear and will no doubt feature memorable music composed by Lloyd Webber himself.

The Profumo Affair took place in 1963 and followed an relationship that took place between John Profumo, the Secretary of State for War in the Harold Macmillan government, and Christine Keeler, the mistress of someone said to be a soviet spy. The married Profumo lied about the event in the House of Commons and this damaged the Macmillan government greatly. Amongst the scandal, however, was Dr Stephen Ward, an acquaintance of Keeler and the osteopath who introduced the pair at a party. The musical focuses on this man and the way in which his life turns upside down in a story that involved betrayal and even plots of murder.

Richard Eyre, directing, has been behind a wealth of shows over the years ever since his early years as Associate Director of the Lyceum Theatre in Edinburgh. His credits include a host of shows at the National Theatre, where he was director from 1987 to 1997, and this saw him direct the likes of Guys And Dolls, both prior to his time as director of the South Bank venue in the early 1980s and again in 1996. Beyond that he has also directed Hamlet at the Royal Court Theatre in 1980, Hedda Gabler at the Almeida and Duke of York’s Theatre in 2005 and Private Lives at the Vaudeville Theatre in 2010 (which later appeared on Broadway).

Audiences can catch Stephen Ward The Musical at the West End’s Aldwych Theatre from Thursday 19th December 2013 (previews from Tuesday 3rd December 2013).

~~

[I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread topic]
Old 11-06-13, 10:45 AM

some new titles:

"How the Grinch Stole Christmas'

'Marry Me A Little' (revival)

'Meet John Doe - Original Cast Recording

Solo album: "Bebe Neuwirth’s "Stories… in NYC: Live At 54 BELOW"

~~

saw If/Then last night. The first act could be tightened up a bit - at nearly three hours with intermission - it's a little bit exhausting. Idina Menzel though - wow! the last solo song she sang was just epic...

looking forward to owning the cast album when it comes out next year- the songs are tight and exceptional!
Old 12-06-13, 08:56 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This past weekend, I watched the 25th Anniversary production of Phantom via Netflix streaming. I had avoided it until now because I had thought it was going to be something like the Les Mis Anniversary productions where it would just be various actors on stage singing the songs. I was pleasantly surprised when I started watching it and it was an actual recording of the show. It was very well done and the extra bits at the end were nice to watch as well. I'm going to have to pick up the Blu-Ray and album soon to add to my collection. I have the Original Broadway cast recording, the Movie soundtrack, and the Canadian Cast recording (with Colm Wilkinson as the Phamtom).

Now.. if they would only release something like this for Wicked and Les Mis I would be happy. I want to be able to watch an actual stage performance. I was happy when Rent released one a few years ago. The horrible Rent movie I have purged from my memory as that was just awful.

I haven't watched the recent Les Mis movie yet, though I've heard decent things about it.
Old 12-07-13, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Yeah, Les Miz works pretty well as a movie if you can get past the Russell Crowe singing.
Old 12-07-13, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
This past weekend, I watched the 25th Anniversary production of Phantom via Netflix streaming. I had avoided it until now because I had thought it was going to be something like the Les Mis Anniversary productions where it would just be various actors on stage singing the songs. I was pleasantly surprised when I started watching it and it was an actual recording of the show. It was very well done and the extra bits at the end were nice to watch as well. I'm going to have to pick up the Blu-Ray and album soon to add to my collection. I have the Original Broadway cast recording, the Movie soundtrack, and the Canadian Cast recording (with Colm Wilkinson as the Phantom).
Yes, the 25th anniversary of the show at the Royal Albert Hall is phenomenal. I must has watched that performance at least a dozen times now. The three leads are absolutely in top form. Whenever I listen to the Phantom soundtrack, this is the version I pull out (I do own the Broadway version too).
Old 12-08-13, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Falc04
Yes, the 25th anniversary of the show at the Royal Albert Hall is phenomenal. I must has watched that performance at least a dozen times now. The three leads are absolutely in top form. Whenever I listen to the Phantom soundtrack, this is the version I pull out (I do own the Broadway version too).
you're speaking of Phantom and not of Les Miz - right?... it's a great performance, but weren't there some very minor abridgements?
Old 12-11-13, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're speaking of Phantom and not of Les Miz - right?... it's a great performance, but weren't there some very minor abridgements?
yes, I was referring to Phantom. I honestly can not recall any abridgments in the 25th show...so if there are (like you say), they must be very minor.
Old 12-11-13, 11:16 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falc04
I agree that the three leads were spectacular. Once I pick up the Blu-Ray and cd after Christmas, I too think this will be the version I listen to most.

For the movie version of Phantom, I did like the Christine voice, but the Phantom's was off and made me cringe at times. Just something seemed not right with it. It won't take the place of an actual staged performance, which I can watch now whenever I want.. but it was interesting to see how they fleshed out some of the details through scenery and set pieces that might have been more difficult or not done as well on a stage.
Old 12-11-13, 10:12 PM

three new additions:

NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812

THE SOUND OF MUSIC - NBC TV 'LIVE BROADCAST'

coming soon:

BIG FISH - CAST ALBUM (Feb 7, 2014: digital download / Feb. 11, 2014: CD release)

Old 01-03-14, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Got a bunch of stuff off my wishlist for Xmas: Rebecca Luker, Pippin, Cinderella... Looking forward to listening.
Old 01-03-14, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Got a bunch of stuff off my wishlist for Xmas: Rebecca Luker, Pippin, Cinderella... Looking forward to listening.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Pippin album.
Old 01-04-14, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Pippin album.
Will report back. I like the score but don't listen to the OBC a ton because it's kind of corny and dated. The sample of Corner of the Sky had real orchestrations and sounded nice and fresh to me so I decided to get it.
Old 01-14-14, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Rebecca Luker: Quite nice. Sometimes I find her a little precious for my tastes, but I like the selections, including some Kern I've never heard. Some is a bit jazzier than I'm used to getting from her as well.

Cinderella: Yeah, this can be a fun show on stage, but it's just not a great score. I like Laura Osnes from her days on the Grease reality show, and so I like her singing In My Own Little Corner, but the rest of it doesn't really need to be listened to. OK, I do like Stepsisters' Lament and Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful, I suppose, and I apparently didn't have this show in my collection so I'll give myself a pass for it.

Pippin: This is a solid recording, less quirky and dated than the OBC and probably my first choice for general listening. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the score because it's so weird, as is the show as a whole. But Corner of the Sky is a great song, and I'm not particularly wedded to the distinctive voices of the original cast--which quality-wise are not as good as this cast--so this is good for me. Side note that there are four sing-along versions including Corner of the Sky, which proves that I am not a true tenor.
Old 03-06-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

'Marry Me A Little' (revival)
I enjoyed this album. Good solid voices, good sound quality, and probably my first choice for listening over the original cast.

Question is when I would actually choose to listen to this Sondheim trunk-song two-hander. There are some good songs in here, most of which aren't available as part of a show, but listening to a show is generally a superior experience. There are also tons of Sondheim compilations available if I don't want to immerse myself in a particular show at any time. This is like pleasant background listening.

Funny how the title track used to be rare but has now been assimilated into the regular show and thus much more common.
Old 03-07-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

General question for david or other theater fans : I'm going to Book of Mormon soon. Do you guys recommend listening to the soundtrack (which I own but haven't listened to yet) before the show or not? My concern is that like The Producers or Avenue Q, it's probably more entertaining hearing the jokes in the song for the first time during the performance -- not as funny if you know what's coming. Agree or disagree?
Old 03-07-14, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker
General question for david or other theater fans : I'm going to Book of Mormon soon. Do you guys recommend listening to the soundtrack (which I own but haven't listened to yet) before the show or not? My concern is that like The Producers or Avenue Q, it's probably more entertaining hearing the jokes in the song for the first time during the performance -- not as funny if you know what's coming. Agree or disagree?
I agree with your instinct. I saw the show last year before listening to the cast recording, which I had gotten a $5 deal on. Obviously it's hard to predict what your reaction will be (some people like to hear it beforehand because they have trouble understanding lyrics or dialogue at a live performance), but I preferred to go in fresh.

Going to see Urinetown tonight at my kid's high school (she's not in it, though). The school put on a very good production of Songs for a New World last year so I'm looking forward to it (they also did Sound of Music last year so they're not like this uberhip, too-cool-for-school department).
Old 03-07-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I usually listen to shows first since it's cheaper than getting a ticket and being disappointed. But The Book of Mormon is great and will be fine whether you listen or not.
Old 04-24-14, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Any word if they'll be releasing a Jersey Boys movie soundtrack? I don't need it since I have the original cast recording and a Valli/Four Seasons compilation, but I would be surprised if they didn't.
Old 05-10-14, 05:22 PM

New and forthcoming:

Samson and Delilah, A Love Story - 2014 Concept Recording

A Night With Janis Joplin - Original Broadway Cast Recording

Murder For Two - Original Cast Recording

Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf - Original Broadway Cast Recording

Highlights from BULLY: A New Musical - Concept Cast Recording

A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder - Original Broadway Cast Recording

Here Lies Love: Original Cast Recording

Fun Home: Original Broadway Cast Recording

Yank!: Original Cast Recording

~

Beautiful: The Carole King Musical - Original Broadway Cast Recording (May 13th)

Bridges of Madison County - Original Broadway Cast Recording (May 19th)

Rocky - Broadway Original Cast Recording (May 27th)

Violet - Original Broadway Cast Recording (June 3rd)

If/Then - Original Broadway Cast Recording (June 3rd)

Bullets Over Broadway - Original Broadway Cast Recording (June 10th)

Aladdin - Original Broadway Cast Recording (June 17th)

Last edited by Giles; 05-10-14 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-04-14, 05:53 PM

Re: 'Broadway'/Musical Theater Album release 2013-14 thread

I really have to rave about Here Lies Love - Byrne reedited the songs from his original concept album to merge a tighter 'theater' edit and it's a kicker.

I've been humming/singing 'Don't You Agree?/Pretty Face' incessantly. On the concept albums it's two separate songs on the cast recording it's one glorious infectious song.

also the 'If/Then' album is also really really good - having seen the pre-Broadway engagement twice -I noticed one song that got cut for the Broadway version ('The Story of Jane'). But the defining Menzel song is her big solo piece: "Always Starting Over" - aside from one F-bomb it's in the same awesomeness as 'Defining Gravity' and 'Let it Go'
Old 06-08-14, 11:23 PM

well Idina did sing 'Always Starting Over' and it was a stunner... really shocked this show wasn't nominated for a Tony.
Old 06-09-14, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have to say I didn't have much interest in the Carole King musical even though I like her music. However, the number they performed was great, and the actor sounded uncannily like King. So now I AM interested.

Wicked anniversary song--viewer bait much?

I thought the Les Mis number sounded bad. I didn't like Eponine or Marius.
Old 06-09-14, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I have to say I didn't have much interest in the Carole King musical even though I like her music. However, the number they performed was great, and the actor sounded uncannily like King. So now I AM interested.

Wicked anniversary song--viewer bait much?

I thought the Les Mis number sounded bad. I didn't like Eponine or Marius.
Yeah that One More Day was cringe inducing, could they over emote and be less shouty?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.